• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

JustinBB7

Is the Ashen Mist heart required to get into Old Iron King memeory? I didn't put it together, but I have it anyway.

Yea I think I read that. I'm doing it on my NG++ run where I stopped at the castle because that's how I got all achievements. Now I need to play through all that again just to fight the last DLC boss. Who designs this shit..

Sullichin

Happened to me once. The manikin that is in front of the windmill, if you don't kill him fast enough, he runs up the stairs and through the door and drops the gate lever.

Oh. Not sure if I've ever noticed it. But that area is where I died the last time I tried to do a no death run. Thanks for opening old wounds

Yea I think I read that. I'm doing it on my NG++ run where I stopped at the castle because that's how I got all achievements. Now I need to play through all that again just to fight the last DLC boss. Who designs this shit..

It shouldn't take long at all to run to Dragon Shrine from where you are now. I was in the same boat and decided to be proactive and get the Ashen Mist heart before the dlc was released because one of the producers mentioned that you may need it in an interview a while back.

sub_o

Just finished the 2nd DLC, and here's my impression:

• Fume Knight
    This is the first boss I encountered, some people said that he's supposed to be the final boss. Anyway, it was tough especially after he buffed himself. I opted for Homunculus +10 + Lightning mace, and it works fairly well. Solo is better than summoning NPC, I died numerous times, before deciding to tackle him alone.
  • Smelter Demon
    The run up to this boss is harder than the boss. Died around twice before beating it. But I died around just 5 - 6 times for the run to this boss. Not sure why they decided to have this boss.
  • Sir Alonne
    The last boss that I fought. The run to him is not hard, just be patient and take out enemies one by one. I really enjoy the boss fight, he's not overpowered-one-shot-boss, just really agile. And the stage is really pretty. Definitely the boss that I like the most.

I like this DLC more that Crown of Sunken King. The outside scenery is prettier, although majority of the game takes place inside towers. The enemies are interesting to fight with, and not annoying (except for the one where the
entire area is cursed until you take out the idol
), you could take advantage of the enemies, the bigger ones are slow, you can poison them, some can be blown up using fire arrow, etc. I still really hate falling to death though, that's a really annoying level design.

Ruuppa

Holy shit i put my summon sign in iron passage, what a pain.
And please dont summon npc, they're useless!

If you're on NG, they're super useful. They facetanked everything while I poked with a spear from relative safety. Did the whole gauntlet and boss in one, thanks to them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I thought it was lame that the gauntlet to
Ser Alonne
is made up of reused assets. :(
Smelter
2.0, now this? I guess it makes sense lore-wise to have
Alonne knights
guarding him, but they could still have made new enemies, a new variants of them... like
Alonne Lieutenants or something
. And the level design was just lazy there.

Regarding the
Memory of the Old Iron King
, is there an actual
time limit like the memories of the giants? I initially tried to hurry (and got killed of course) but when I tried again and took it slow, even got invaded, and never saw the "ashen mist thins..." or anything.

Damn, having like a 10% success rate on
Fume Knight
co-op as a phantom. The host always dies. Seems like people are having a lot of trouble with that guy.
Yup. After beating him (solo), I dropped my sign a few times to help out poor souls. It took like 12+ tries before I got 1 single win. Once or twice I was the one who died after a screw up, but most of the time it was the host. It always went badly if they summoned the NPC (I groaned every time they did, she's useless guys, stahp), and it usually went even worse if both healing effigies had not been destroyed. One time our party lasted very long, but the boss kept getting healed despite my best efforts to lure him back to the middle of the room. Then the host eventually died. It really heals him by quite a bit, too, yikes. Good thing I had 1 effigy destroyed, so I just fought him on one side of the room.

Holy shit i put my summon sign in iron passage, what a pain.
And please dont summon npc, they're useless!
They really are. I know they can't all be Jester Thomas, but can they at least be like Felicia the Brave? ;_;

If you're on NG, they're super useful. They facetanked everything while I poked with a spear from relative safety. Did the whole gauntlet and boss in one, thanks to them.
How did they kill the mages and archers? They have no ranged attack. -_-

v1perz53

Blech, I really hate Throne Watcher and Defender fight. Just did it solo (I usually just summon Benheart and Vengarl and get through it as fast as possible), and it is just an exercise in backpedaling until you can get one attack in. Their attack patterns are not conducive to a multi boss encounter, and they embody everything that makes group encounters frustrating in this game. A tiny mistake against one and the other can stunlock you fully to death. Neither has many attacks that give a good window to focus on the other and hit it. Just poor design, I guess that is why From gave you two summons right outside the boss door that can't be missed (I never talked to Benheart and his sign was still there).

Darklurker is a hard boss, but is so much better of a multi boss encounter than Throne duo. Large gaps between his attacks, they are more or less color coded so you can recognize what attacks are happening, and there are good windows to hit one while the other is busy.

Ruuppa

How did they kill the mages and archers? They have no ranged attack. -_-

... Kill them? I just ran my ass out of the small arenas after killing the guys on the ground. The NPCs happily followed.

After killing the big guy in the last part, I hugged the corner of the platform where the archer was, Warmthing up. Neither ranged dudes hit me there, hell, the archer even fell down to play. Landed right in the middle of me and the NPCs.

He didn't have a good time.

Darklurker is a hard boss, but is so much better of a multi boss encounter than Throne duo. Large gaps between his attacks, they are more or less color coded so you can recognize what attacks are happening, and there are good windows to hit one while the other is busy.

Getting the title of Best Boss in vanilla DkS2 does mean something after all. I really like that guy. He's got powerful and varied attacks, a mid-HP powerup that's unique and he's not a huge HP sponge either. The quintessential mage-boss.

My reaction after killing
Smelter Demon 2

aZWPoPn_460sa_v1.gif

Why on earth FROM makes me waste my time like this.

Anyway now I dont know where to go, getting up there is suicide in human form.

AHA-Lambda

Jesus, that trip down from the lift after putting in the scepter, with the headless giant at the bottom, amkes me want to throw my controller out the fucking window.

Ruuppa

My reaction after killing
Smelter Demon 2

disappointment.gif

Why on earth FROM makes me waste my time like this.

Anyway now I dont know where to go, getting up there is suicide in human form.

What, you don't want to be the Grandfather of Giants? :p

Have you done the
other bosses?

Ruuppa

It was my first in this DLC, I dont want to be to the
curse
tower but I think is the obvious path right now

That place is strictly optional, but you do get a nice weapon from there. And there's one of them idols there as well.

You need to take the elevators down from the central chamber now.

OH GOD, if you summon people in Iron Passage, don't try to use the """shortcut""".
Do you really think a group of 3 can go through this?
THINK! >:eek:

/rant

Honestly, seeing how many people need help with this area, and that most of them are totally clueless about the path, i strongly believe most players have gone through the game by co-op only.
It's unbelievable they made it this far by their own.

But as a result, i got a lot of hilarious moments.

That place is strictly optional, but you do get a nice weapon from there. And there's one of them idols there as well.

You need to take the elevators down from the central chamber now.

More? or you are refering the
middle section
?

OH GOD, if you summon people in Iron Passage, don't try to use the """shortcut""".

/rant

Honestly, seeing how many people need help with this area, and that most of them are totally clueless about the path, i strongly believe most players have gone through the game by co-op only.

Actually the summons can go pretty easy to clear the first room of enemies while the host can go to the normal path

I was talking about other people that i try to help.
I did everything solo.

If the host summoned me and a NPC, it's chaos.
This sucker just spam HELLO through all the fights XD.

Ruuppa

More? or you are refering the
middle section
?

Yeah, the third bonfire. Take the two elevators down in the middle chamber and you're on the road to the next boss.

I was talking about other people that i try to help.
I did everything solo.

If the host summoned me and a NPC, it's chaos.
This sucker just spam HELLO through all the fights XD.

Trolling NPC summons? More realistic than you could have imagined!

Mistel

Banned
Honestly, seeing how many people need help with this area, and that most of them are totally clueless about the path, i strongly believe most players have gone through the game by co-op only. It's unbelievable they made it this far by their own.
Iron passage like cave of the dead isn't one of the best measures of ability for a player.

ElTopo

Banned
It's not even worth taking that "shortcut" unless you want those items and they're not even that good. You can just run through the other path. No one figured that out?

It's not even worth taking that "shortcut" unless you want those items and they're not even that good. You can just run through the other path. No one figured that out?

Yep. I would summon the NPC's and bail all the way to the boss. They got there a few seconds after me.

I just found out there was a bow that scaled with strength. So happy. I really missed my bows when I switched from dex to strength.

Mistel

Banned
I just found out there was a bow that scaled with strength. So happy. I really missed my bows when I switched from dex to strength.
I assume that's dragon rider you're talking about if it is then a hawk ring is worthwhile thing to use it gives you 7.55% longer range for the bow. It's got the same shot range as the composite so it doesn't hurt to extend it.

I really really hate the gauntlet up to Smelter Demon part deux. It is not fun or interesting, just a slog. I can barely get to the fog gate as it is. The shortcut isn't even worth it, I can't consistently get past both the gates. Coop is terrible too, the hosts I go with have no better luck than I.

UrbanRats

So is there a shorter way to the
boss fog door on the bottom? I'm starting from the main bonfire in the circular room with all the elevators, i go down from there, but it's pretty long.
Is there a shorter path or another bonfire in the middle? Also, on the way there, some enemies are immortal, what gives?

Ruuppa

Mmmm gotta give a try,is the old samurai armor ?

No, that's at top, and is the last place you should go. The armor opens up once you beat another boss, and have the Ashen Mist Heart.

You need to go aaaaall the way down in the central chamber: Warp to the 3rd bonfire (the central chamber where you inserted the key to activate everything), take the statue down, and then don't enter any doors, but take another statue down.

So is there a shorter way to the
boss fog door on the bottom? I'm starting from the main bonfire in the circular room with all the elevators, i go down from there, but it's pretty long.
Is there a shorter path or another bonfire in the middle? Also, on the way there, some enemies are immortal, what gives?

There's a bonfire at the bottom. Go right after the final elevator before the fogdoor.

To remove their immortality, you need to Examine the 4 Ashen Idols at the bottom, and use a Smelter Wedge on them.

UrbanRats

There's a bonfire at the bottom. Go right after the final elevator before the fogdoor.

To remove their immortality, you need to Examine the 4 Ashen Idols at the bottom, and use a Smelter Wedge on them.

Thanks.

Also,
on the bottom i got killed by one of those mace giants after i had killed an Ashen Idol, but didn't retrieve the soul piece.
Is that bad?

Ruuppa

Thanks.

Also,
on the bottom i got killed by one of those mace giants after i had killed an Ashen Idol, but didn't retrieve the soul piece.
Is that bad?

The soul pieces might be droppables that stay forever. Hopefully. If they aren't, that's just dumb design.
They're only used to get a useless chime or a semi-useful Pyromancy, so don't worry too much if it's totally gone.

I assume that's dragon rider you're talking about if it is then a hawk ring is worthwhile thing to use it gives you 7.55% longer range for the bow. It's got the same shot range as the composite so it doesn't hurt to extend it.

Yep. hat's the one. I only really use it for pulling and cheesing when i can but it's nice to have an option that scales with strength.

Anyone else have a permanent spot for Ring of Life/Soul Protection? I just started doing this and man I am never hollow,out of souls or have a death penalty. I usually used up that spot with that ring that minimized death penalties but this works out much better. In NG+ I have about 6 total and just go back and repair them when I run out. It's a game changer.

/rant

I haven't seen that, most folks I summon know to run to the end before I pull the lever. I even had one guy tank the salamander fireballs and give me a nice open path to run through. Smart thinking.

Mistel

Banned
The soul pieces might be droppables that stay forever. Hopefully. If they aren't, that's just dumb design.
They're only used to get a useless chime or a semi-useful Pyromancy, so don't worry too much if it's totally gone.
They go like other drop do I believe. Not heard of anything saying that they're excluded from the mechanic.

SoldnerKei

/rant.

sowwy... actually it was pretty funny how two phantoms were waiting in front of the big gate, pulled the switch, ran, got hit by last fireball, they saw my despair as the gate was going down, I guess it was funny for them

thanks God it's 10000 easier to run the whole thing with 30% of equip and roll when needed, I was able to reach the boss without harm... at least most time

Zocano

Those idol drops stay around even if you die. Even if you die multiple times, too. They're exempt from the usual item drop rule.

The Bewitched Alonne Sword really isn't that great, but man, is it swish.

Decided to have a bewitched katana showdown with Sir Alonne. Great fun on NG+++. A real battle of attrition with that sort of damage output.

I really dig him as a boss. I actually think he could do with some more ridiculous 'fuck you' sort of attacks, but the "purity" of the fight is very cool. Sick beats, too.

Fuck that gauntlet, though. It's not hard at all - shield + Murakumo R1 = Drangleic Staggerfest 2014 - it's just goddamn tedious and dumb.

Mistel

Banned
Yep. hat's the one. I only really use it for pulling and cheesing when i can but it's nice to have an option that scales with strength.
It's the next best thing to an Alonne greatbow really in terms of STR bows. Dragonslayer scales better at B than Alonne but takes far longer to fire and is slower in general.

ElFly

/rant

I did that to the NPC summons and they were waiting for me outside the boss room, so I dunno why human players can't do the same?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Invading Iron Passage with Acid Surge = lol.

Also take the upper path if you want because the very top platform in the last room is unreachable by invaders and you can range kill everything.

Kind of annoying I can't get to it while invading but oh well.

Fooling around with some boss soul weps, can`t quite understand why hp damage per hit is split from poise damage. I can rotorblade the enemies in dlc1 and 2 using red iron and stone ring, stunning them all the time while doing very solid damage, but tried giving a dark crypt blacksword on dlc1 zombies. 1h r1 800+dmg, leaves them with a sliver of health in one strike. Doesn't stun them. Derp.

It is nice that poise damage can vary from wep to wep, but seems silly to not link it in any way to damage per hit too. If you can remove 50%+ HP from an enemy in a single hit, they should be stunned.

Man, fuck the Fume Knight, fuck it I'm done. I get him to 50% hp and then he suddenly starts rapidly healing and then buffs himself and OHKOs me. This guy is no fucking joke, he makes all the regular Dark Souls 2 bosses look like garbage.

Man, fuck the Fume Knight, fuck it I'm done. I get him to 50% hp and then he suddenly starts rapidly healing and then buffs himself and OHKOs me. This guy is no fucking joke, he makes all the regular Dark Souls 2 bosses look like garbage.

Shove a stick in the chanting things outside the fight, ffs.

Wow, lots of people need help for the
Elana
fight. I also got the best host, after we murdered the boss, he was like Thank-you TankyMcTankerson, you are the greatest person ever! Then proceeded to button mash Thank-yours hehehe. I began power-stancing the Kings Ultra Greatsword and also have Engraved Gauntlets on, I've been lucky with em, I got 2 crits against the boss in the same summon.

Mistel

Banned
Fooling around with some boss soul weps, can`t quite understand why hp damage per hit is split from poise damage. I can rotorblade the enemies in dlc1 and 2 using red iron and stone ring, stunning them all the time while doing very solid damage, but tried giving a dark crypt blacksword on dlc1 zombies. 1h r1 800+dmg, leaves them with a sliver of health in one strike. Doesn't stun them. Derp.

It is nice that poise damage can vary from wep to wep, but seems silly to not link it in any way to damage per hit too. If you can remove 50%+ HP from an enemy in a single hit, they should be stunned.
Two handed attacks deal more poise damage than a single handed attack will. A two handed blacksword with the stone will also stagger the enemies according to this:
By the way I don't know if its been mentioned here but you can absolutely stagger Sanctum Knights. Equip the stone ring, and all UGS attacks will stagger them, including staggering them out of their attacks. I imagine Great hammers will stagger as well.

They do not have infinite poise, just very high poise. Regular 2h R1s with a Crypt Blacksword absolutely wrecks them with Stone Ring on.

Top Bottom