• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No bonfire run is made for crazy people!
I haven't done it, but I know a dude who did it... twice. xD He says it's not that bad. You drop as a Shade a lot and refill your estus and repair your gear that way. The biggest risk is to accidentally rest at a bonfire, since it's so ingrained, or to accidentally light one in a "dead end" (meaning you can't climb back up or homeward out of there). Oh and yes, no spells of course, or Sublime Bone Dust as others have said.

I was reading a thread on reddit and they said that dying as phantom DID count.

e: I mean for not death run
Well, I wouldn't do that run online anyway. Way too risky to die at an OP invader.

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh

That will be fun.

btw. does anyone know how that no bonfire run works? So no bonfires at all? But I am supposed to light the primal bonfires? Can I at least use the bonfire at the hub? How is this even supposed to work, if I can't use that one - use weapons until they break and then repair them?
Drop the small white soapstone every time you need repairs. You get summoned, kill like 3 enemies, then Duty fulfilled and you're good to go.

Seriously, Shading is OP. It even revives you to human now. Way too easy to abuse IMO. :D I've been trying the Company of Champions and boy do I miss dropping my sign. Reviving with effigies scarcely seem worth it anymore, and souls seem scarce since you can't drop a sign a few times to get a massive boost at once.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Any of my fellow STR bros try the Giant Warrior Club? I'm loving it. Not so great for PVP because of the speed but it wrecks enemies. The move set is superior to the Great Club as well.

LiK

Any of my fellow STR bros try the Giant Warrior Club? I'm loving it. Not so great for PVP but wrecks enemies. The move set is superior to the Great Club as well.

Too fucking heavy for me atm. 60 STR req is insane. I'm only 32

For my second character, I had set a goal of getting the Llewellyn armor since it looks awesome. It's not available until rather late in the game though. When I eventually made it to
the enemies before Looking Glass Knight
I settled down for a long grind... and then the chestpiece drops off the first enemy. And the second.

It goes really well with Hard Leather pants and Black Leather gloves so I'm done already! :D

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Taken from the stream of my first Dark Souls 2 playthrough. Here is Episode 1 of a video series that will showcase all of my deaths.

Dark Souls 2 - So, This Is How We Died. Episode 1

Sit back, relax, and please excuse the cursing.
Man whoever this guy is SUCKS. He dies multiple times to the exact same thing, consistently doesn't watch where he is going and doesn't or roll out of the way of hazards or enemies even when he has full stamina.

LiK

Man whoever this guy is SUCKS. He dies multiple times to the exact same thing, consistently doesn't watch where he is going and doesn't or roll out of the way of hazards or enemies even when he has full stamina.

I watched Gamefront's "Expert" walkthrough and James (played and beat previous game) was dying like crazy to the easiest enemies. I'm not sure what happened but at least it was hilarious. Took him forever just to get to the Cardinal bonfire lol

Mistel

Banned
Any of my fellow STR bros try the Giant Warrior Club? I'm loving it. Not so great for PVP because of the speed but it wrecks enemies. The move set is superior to the Great Club as well.
It's great but bloody heavy. I'm going to have to get 90 strength if I want to dual wield it with a mace to exploit the faster swings. But my equip load will need to be through the roof too at that point.

test_account

XP-39C²
I haven't done it, but I know a dude who did it... twice. xD He says it's not that bad. You drop as a Shade a lot and refill your estus and repair your gear that way. The biggest risk is to accidentally rest at a bonfire, since it's so ingrained, or to accidentally light one in a "dead end" (meaning you can't climb back up or homeward out of there). Oh and yes, no spells of course, or Sublime Bone Dust as others have said.
I dont think that its possible to get stuck actually since you're allowed to use the Primal Bonfires, at least i've seen people doing that on Youtube videos. I'm unsure if you're allowed to use the same Primal Bonfire more than once though, but i dont think there are any reason to revisit the area after its been used the first time.

I watched Gamefront's "Expert" walkthrough and James (played and beat previous game) was dying like crazy to the easiest enemies. I'm not sure what happened but at least it was hilarious. Took him forever just to get to the Cardinal bonfire lol

James from Gamefront is the greatest Dark Souls player of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
OMG in the video Dug posted, he finally beats Pursuer by co-op and right as it dies one of the phantoms OHKOs him with the ballista.

http://youtu.be/a0z0NtI1ab8?t=10m32s

test_account

XP-39C²
Brightstone Cove Tseldora, bonfire near Ornifex, comes to mind. No way out of there but warping that I know of. Another is the bonfire after the Belfry Gargoyles.
Its possible to get out of the Brightstone Cove Tseldora one. You can run to the boss from there, and there is a primal bonfire there :) You're right about the Belfry Gargoyles one, there is no way out of there when i think about it. Luckily its an optional boss, but it would make
The Lost Sinner
boss a bit harder if you dont beat that Gargoyles boss first.

Great for laughs but I really enjoy Mitch's commentary during his own runs. Great stuff.

That's what he's good for!

I actually have James's autograph on my Dark Souls 1 artbook. Saw him doing improv with his group last year.

And yeah, I've watched all of Mitch's Dark Souls 1 and 2 and Demon's videos. Love watching both those guys.

LiK

That's what he's good for!

I actually have James's autograph on my Dark Souls 1 artbook. Saw him doing improv with his group last year.

And yeah, I've watched all of Mitch's Dark Souls 1 and 2 and Demon's videos. Love watching both those guys.

I wasn't a fan of GF until I watched Mitch's DkS1 LP. The way he freaks out is the best. And those chipmunk voices LOL

domstah

Before I start NG+, I should ..?

Already done Navlaan's quests, is it worth killing the optional bosses now? What should I bring with me in to NG+?

LiK

Before I start NG+, I should ..?

Already done Navlaan's quests, is it worth killing the optional bosses now? What should I bring with me in to NG+?
kill all optional bosses for their souls to trade for spells or weapons. Worth it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, you can go to the boss from that bonfire. There is a hole in the wall in one of the buildings that lead to the other side.
Right, I think I remember now. But it's true that you can't climb back up to the chapel/campsite area without warping, right? I tried it once and never figured it out. Annoying when you want to explore. I wish you could just climb back up the zipline ropes.

Leezard

Right, I think I remember now. But it's true that you can't climb back up to the chapel/campsite area without warping, right? I tried it once and never figured it out. Annoying when you want to explore. I wish you could just climb back up the zipline ropes.

Yeah, that's true I think. The only way back is through the primal bonfire or warping.

GulAtiCa

It's physically impossible to get stuck though, as you always have that item that can return you to last bonfire at cost of all souls. Assuming you don't have the other items to return of course.

test_account

XP-39C²
The bonfire after the Gargoyles is a dead end. If you light it by mistake, the run is ruined.
Yeah, i forgot about that place :)

It's physically impossible to get stuck though, as you always have that item that can return you to last bonfire at cost of all souls. Assuming you don't have the other items to return of course.
True, but its possible to get "stuck" if you do a no bonfire run :) In the Belfry Luna place. Its an optional area though, but still.

Drencrom

tumblr_n43hjvsHzN1rcvzhgo1_250.gif

PvP in a nutshell

The no death run is scarier, it would just be heartbreaking to fall of a ledge very late in the game or something like that. I'd probably cry.

The rewards for these runs kind of suck tbh. Other than trolling in PvP what use do they have? I guess the reward is knowing you did it, and the ring is the proof.

Vitten

Doing my no death NG run atm. It's not all that hard once you've done a number of runs and you know the game through and through.
The hardest part is coping with the stress cos one wrong move and it's game over.

some tips:
- focus first on leveling up your vigor. Staying alive is the most important so get this to 30 or so asap and then steadily to 50 or higher.
- use all the boss souls asap to level up. No point in keeping them in your inventory for useless weapons/spells
- play offline to prevent invasions, only go online in front of boss doors for summons.
- summon the NPCs whenever possible.
- stay away from ledges and don't do any risky jumps for items.
- skipp optional bosses/areas. No need to put yourself in harms way for stuff you don't need.
- create a second character that copies your no-death guy and first do test runs with him till you're certain you can run through a level or defeat a boss without risk.
- Absolutely get a good range damage option ( bow/arrow or spells/miracles/hexes) . Much less risks to take out enemies from afar then up close.
- don't fight every mob, some are better run passed.

Oh yeah, and watch out for exploding zombies. Especially those that rush at you at the bottom of The Pit :)

test_account

XP-39C²
The no death run is scarier, it would just be heartbreaking to fall of a ledge very late in the game or something like that. I'd probably cry.

The rewards for these runs kind of suck tbh. Other than trolling in PvP what use do they have? I guess the reward is knowing you did it, and the ring is the proof.
That is exactly why i wont even attempt a no death run :) Must suck big time dying like 1 or 2 hours into the game, let alone at the end of the game.

Yeah, i think these challenges are more about own achievements, as in the reward being more of a "i did it" kind of thing. The rings doesnt have much use use outside of PvP as you mention.

Doing my no death NG run atm. It's not all that hard once you've done a number of runs and you know the game through and through.
The hardest part is coping with the stress cos one wrong move and it's game over.

some tips:
- focus first on leveling up your vigor. Staying alive is the most important so get this to 30 or so asap and then steadily to 50 or higher.
- use all the boss souls asap to level up. No point in keeping them in your inventory for useless weapons/spells
- play offline to prevent invasions, only go online in front of boss doors for summons.
- skipp optional bosses/areas. No need to put yourself in harms way for stuff you don't need.
- create a second character that copies your no-death guy and first do test runs with him till you're certain you can run through a level or defeat a boss without risk.
- Absolutely get a good range damage option ( bow/arrow or spells/miracles/hexes) . Much less risks to take out enemies from afar then up close.

Oh yeah, and watch out for exploding zombies. Especially those that rush at you at the bottom of The Pit :)
Hnnnnnn!!! I want to do it. I think I'll give these two runs a go once I'm more confident with a few of the bosses I currently don't like.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
tumblr_n43hjvsHzN1rcvzhgo1_250.gif

PvP in a nutshell

Haha, yup.

My favorite thing is when my weapon thuds cleanly into a dudes body, sits there a few frames and nothing happens. The guy stands there for half a second and then suddenly the roll animation kicks in and he's unscathed. A couple of those in a row and I'm just like, "I'm done - just kill me dude".

Is there any reason to keep one of all your armor/weapons other than completion?

Cause I'm looking to wheel, deal with gavlan.

Also where did that guy go who can make weapons out of boss souls? I saved him but then he never came to majula.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

some tips:

This is good advice, thanks for sharing.

Nito you should add this to future OPs!

Leunam

Fucking NG+ Chariot... Went with throwing holy water urns. Fuck that bastard!

I managed to beat this guy the first time with one phantom and then in NG+ by myself. Really, the hardest part is fending off skeletons while you hide in the walls.

Top Bottom