• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

death as phantom don't count. but small soapstones only let you kill a couple of dudes before duty is fulfilled.
Right, right. I've still never used that (like a lot of things in the game!)

This no bonfire run - It's getting me, I don't think I'm actually good enough to do it, but I really want to try! Need a gameplan I think though, gotta think what and where you want to go and what you can avoid.

jimi_dini

I was reading a thread on reddit and they said that dying as phantom DID count.

e: I mean for not death run

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh

That will be fun.

btw. does anyone know how that no bonfire run works? So no bonfires at all? But I am supposed to light the primal bonfires? Can I at least use the bonfire at the hub? How is this even supposed to work, if I can't use that one - use weapons until they break and then repair them?

Fhtagn

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh

That will be fun.

btw. does anyone know how that no bonfire run works? So no bonfires at all? But I am supposed to light the primal bonfires? Can I at least use the bonfire at the hub? How is this even supposed to work, if I can't use that one - use weapons until they break and then repair them?

you can light them and use them as checkpoints, but no resting at them.

ElFly

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh

That will be fun.

Primals don't count.

You can use the homeward item to go back to things betwixt. (of course you have no magic since no attuning spells)

People LIGHT the bonfires then suicide for repairs.

Was reading a guy who did no death + no bonfire run. Shit was crazy. Dude carried like a billion weapons to not have to deal with repairs. Also, going for the Santier's super early.

E92 M3

Brotherhood of Blood PVP is quite expensive. Dropped 400k souls for 40 orbs lol - and the profit margins are pretty small too.

ElFly

Checked.

No bonfire = ring that makes your right hand weapon invisible. (Illusory Ring of the Exalted).

No Death = left hand. (Illusory Ring of a Conqueror).

LiK

Checked.

No bonfire = ring that makes your right hand weapon invisible. (Illusory Ring of the Exalted).

So it's basically an awesome way to fuck with people in PVP. I guess that's a good reward for anyone who will do this.

ElFly

So it's basically an awesome way to fuck with people in PVP. I guess that's a good reward for anyone who will do this.

Well, hidden weapon is still a spell that exists, and doesn't spend a ring slot and it is sold by a dude instead of requiring crazy feats of soul collecting and death avoidance and endurance.

Any suggested pre-NG+ checklist? I want to go to NG+ fully prepared. :)

This is the situation I'm in as well. after I beat the game I read some kinds on how to do darklurker, and spent about 10 hours beating the dragon lol. I think there's one or two crazy weapons I still need to find but I think I'm just about ready for NG+

LiK

Well, hidden weapon is still a spell that exists, and doesn't spend a ring slot and it is sold by a dude instead of requiring crazy feats of soul collecting and death avoidance and endurance.
wait, you mean the Bell Rank 2 spell right?

ExVicis

This is the situation I'm in as well. after I beat the game I read some kinds on how to do darklurker, and spent about 10 hours beating the dragon lol. I think there's one or two crazy weapons I still need to find but I think I'm just about ready for NG+

Did you beat the other optional Boss? Also you COULD kill some NPCs for items but remember
guilt for killing some NPCs carries over into NG+ and that means a lot of blue invasions

Any suggested pre-NG+ checklist? I want to go to NG+ fully prepared. :)
I looked at this: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/New+Game+Plus, under "Preparing for NG+"

I think farming for stuff like effigies and twinkling titanite was my main thing, I exhausted Shrine of Amana as that's a good source of both. Effegies are also dropped by dogs, skeletons and some enemies in Brightcove too. Wear the Tseldora set for more souls if you want to farm those too and any item discovery gear you have. I farmed for slabs in Drangleic, the Kings Gate bonfire and bought a shit ton of chunks etc.

Re: Killing NPCs, not sure how sinning fully works tbh - Before NG++ I wanted the armour sets of Targray and Titchy, so I killed both of them. When in NG++ I reached Cromwell as early as possible and he said I hadn't sinned, so who knows! /shrug

Dyno

I had a lot of fun clearing the Black Gulch!

There's a brilliantly hidden bonfire near the boss gate, I've sunbro'd the boss but haven't killed him myself. Instead I found the Forgotten Key and the nearby door it opens has a seal with pillar that looks just like where you started. There's a wizard with a wheelchair talking about some deeper dark and I was like awwwwww fuck yeah! Real Dark Souls starts here! Made me feel so pumped to find that stuff.

Minamu

Primal bonfires don't count I think, so I guess you'd do the four branching paths, and then onwards to Drangleic, probably missing out as much optional stuff as possible. Lots of lifegems, herbs etc around.

I love the sound of it, but would like to watch a video of it done first just so I can emulate that to avoid some frustration.
Yeah maybe, at least you're allowed to die. Combining the two would be foolishly hard. I wonder if a fully twinked character with all the magic spells on NG+(+) would be easier than a fresh character though. I think I'm gonna try it on NG++ after I get the platinum. A video would be helpful for sure!

No bonfire run is made for crazy people!
It sounds easier than never dying though, doesn't it? :) Unless you're crazy good and follow the speedrunners tricks and paths. The resonant souls are crazy good it seems. G
rand
D
ragon
with one grand resonant soul and one climax to the face and he's dead?!

Am I a bad Bro for helping fight Freja before I went in to fight her myself? Totally stayed behind to help a few others beat her after that, but I felt kind of cheap trying to figure it out before putting myself at risk.

Didn't let the player die in either case before I went in myself, FWIW.

LiK

Am I a bad Bro for helping fight Freja before I went in to fight her myself? Totally stayed behind to help a few others beat her after that, but I felt kind of cheap trying to figure it out before putting myself at risk.

nah, it's fine. It's a good way to scout ahead. Better than dying and doing that long run back.

ElFly

That's how it is supposed to work.

You arrive to the boss as a hollow, put down your sign, get summoned.

Check what the boss is like, help defeat it, recover your human form.

Now that you are human, with everything repaired and estus recovered, you can now summon other phantoms.

Souls Social Contract!

I had a lot of fun clearing the Black Gulch!

There's a brilliantly hidden bonfire near the boss gate, I've sunbro'd the boss but haven't killed him myself. Instead I found the Forgotten Key and the nearby door it opens has a seal with pillar that looks just like where you started. There's a wizard with a wheelchair talking about some deeper dark and I was like awwwwww fuck yeah! Real Dark Souls starts here! Made me feel so pumped to find that stuff.

The crazy part about the gulch
I didn't find the bonfire directly at the start of the poison statue area, so when I died on the boss, I had to start all the way back up at the top. I eventually found the hidden area just by the boss on the next run, but only found the easy bonfire to the left after beating the entire game lol

That was not fun

Leunam

I did that with almost every boss fight.

Celegus

Checked.

Haha, that's bananas. Glad they aren't tied to any achievements though, I'm not that much of a masochist.

nah, it's fine. It's a good way to scout ahead. Better than dying and doing that long run back.

That's how it is supposed to work.

You arrive to the boss as a hollow, put down your sign, get summoned.

Check what the boss is like, help defeat it, recover your human form.

Now that you are human, with everything repaired and estus recovered, you can now summon other phantoms.

Souls Social Contract!

Oh, good. It was a shitty run getting there...I can manage to survive getting my head eaten by a spider, but the trio surprised me once and killed me. That is a positively shitty run back.

I'm having fun experimenting with a STR/FTH build. Got around 30 STR, 19FTH (+5 from the prayer ring), 4 slots (+2 w/ the Southern whatever band), and thoroughly enjoyed hucking lightning spears last night. Made a big, BIG difference.

Now it's on to 55 for the Sunlight Spear. Crossing my fingers that it's worth it, though I'll just have to start over again anyway when it's released for PC.

I did that with almost every boss fight.

First time I did it last night...I just didn't want to risk the walk back (fuck the souls). Normally I summon whatever NPC I can find and then bring someone in for a quick assist, but I think I like this way better. Jolly Cooperation.

LiK

Oh, good. It was a shitty run getting there...I can manage to survive getting my head eaten by a spider, but the trio surprised me once and killed me. That is a positively shitty run back.

I'm having fun experimenting with a STR/FTH build. Got around 30 STR, 19FTH (+5 from the prayer ring), 4 slots (+2 w/ the Southern whatever band), and thoroughly enjoyed hucking lightning spears last night. Made a big, BIG difference.

Now it's on to 55 for the Sunlight Spear. Crossing my fingers that it's worth it, though I'll just have to start over again anyway when it's released for PC.

I'm loving my STR/FTH build. Lightning spears are just a lot of fun and powerful. I don't really use any other Miracles.

Btw, Sunlight Spear takes up TWO Attunement slots so better upgrade that too.

Soulhouf

With the ring, your opponent will never see your weapon, which makes a huge difference.

Once I have finished the game 20 times or so I will start doing challenge runs like I did with Demon's and Dark Souls. I consider even doing no death/no bonfire challenge in the same run. That way I have 2 chances before I restart in case of failure.

Oh wait, I was thinking the no bonfire run meant no bonfires AND no deaths. You can die on the no bonfire run. Oooooh, that isn't soooooo hard. You're gonna respawn at the last bonfire you lit so it isn't that much backtracking ever, not more than usual.

Soulhouf

Oh wait, I was thinking the no bonfire run meant no bonfires AND no deaths. You can die on the no bonfire run. Oooooh, that isn't soooooo hard. You're gonna respawn at the last bonfire you lit so it isn't that much backtracking ever, not more than usual.

The only big backtracking I see is after you get the King's Ring.
TBH the no bonfire challenge doesn't sound that hard or frustrating. The only risk is that you rest at a bonfire by mistake which may happen at any time.

GulAtiCa

I spent like all last night getting my new Hex character through the game. Feels weird to see no summon signs near Shaded Ruins, since my SM is so low, since I've been jumping around a lot. lol

Going to go back on the path to Iron Keep tonight to get the Dull Ember so I can go back and infuse my Mace with dark.

I've also realized that I essentially have two Miracle based characters. My main which does Miracles/Pyro and now my 2nd which is pure Miracle based.

Dorrin

I still have yet to beat the game lol. I think my problem is that I'm still thinking too much like Dark Souls 1 and so I'm creating alts for different builds. So far I have

1) Pure caster(all magic types) who just got the King's Ring.
2) Hex dark mage, dual wielding rapiers who just went through the dragon area. I had actually respeced him from a former strength build earlier.
3) Faith user with lightning rapiers, based off a character I saw on twitch. Currently at Doors of Pharos.
4) Caestus/club dual wielder who is a mess.

I got caught up the past few days trying to get that Caestus/club guy to a place where I could turn him into a mundane build. I can't help but feel that it is a waste of time though and I would be better off using the soul vessel on one of my others to try it out, they have the items, upgrade materials etc. Is that what everyone else is doing only running one or maybe two characters and then respeccing to try out different builds?

ElFly

The only big backtracking I see is after you get the King's Ring.
TBH the no bonfire challenge doesn't sound that hard or frustrating. The only risk is that you rest at a bonfire by mistake which may happen at any time.

You can use those homeward bones items or whatever to go to things betwixt.

But yeah, no bonfire is an endurance run of not resting on bonfire by mistake, and, well, melee only. Also, no sublime bone dust.

Mistel

Banned
4) Caestus/club dual wielder who is a mess.

I got caught up the past few days trying to get that Caestus/club guy to a place where I could turn him into a mundane build.
I'd do that but I'd not bother with the caestus unless your going to infuse something else like lightning or poison into them. Their scaling is not the best so you might as well make use of that attack speed to inflict some damage that way plus it's interesting to have two different effects on a weapon that you can stunlock people with.

E92 M3

But yeah, no bonfire is an endurance run of not resting on bonfire by mistake, and, well, melee only. Also, no sublime bone dust.

No bonfire runs can be initiated in NG+ and onward so it's not too bad :)

Minamu

That's why NG+ is probably the better idea. Just stock up on everything in NG and go over the edge when you're ready. Though I don't know just how hard the new enemies are, I've only just arrived at Lost Bastille via air travel in NG+.

Top Bottom