• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

d0nd

tumblr_n43hjvsHzN1rcvzhgo1_250.gif

PvP in a nutshell

all my pvps end like this

i win 1 out of 10

lol

LiK

Drencrom

Haha, yup.

My favorite thing is when my weapon thuds cleanly into a dudes body, sits there a few frames and nothing happens. The guy stands there for half a second and then suddenly the roll animation kicks in and he's unscathed. A couple of those in a row and I'm just like, "I'm done - just kill me dude".

I know your pain, brother

The reason why I abandoned my greatsword in PvP, the lag punishes it brutally

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The crazy part about the gulch
I didn't find the bonfire directly at the start of the poison statue area, so when I died on the boss, I had to start all the way back up at the top. I eventually found the hidden area just by the boss on the next run, but only found the easy bonfire to the left after beating the entire game lol

That was not fun
What? There's a
bonfire near the boss
?

I always
started from the bonfire near the beginning of the area, and ran past all the arrow traps and horror monster pools to get to the boss. Each boss attempt took one anti-poison item and thankfully I beat him after a few tries.

Yup, if you cause enough damage while it's circling the area, the horse will eventually not make the jump and just hang there for you to finish it.

Oh so it's the reverse of pulling the lever where the chariot dies and you fight the horse lol? You fight the chariot rider?

Bit the bullet and farmed Belfry Sol offline to hit Rank 2 in the Bell Keepers Covenant last night. Took about an hour and a half. So happy to be done with that. But, added bonus, had drop every piece of the Mad Warrior's set, plus the Berserker Blade!

PS - I'll never use them.

LiK

What? There's a
bonfire near the boss
?

I always
started from the bonfire near the beginning of the area, and ran past all the arrow traps and horror monster pools to get to the boss. Each boss attempt took one anti-poison item and thankfully I beat him after a few tries.

Yes, i didn't know this until after I beat the game first time.

What? There's a
bonfire near the boss
?

I always

Yea
if you go to the far right side theres a path off the cliff that goes into a little hidden cove to the right of the boss fog gate

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Bit the bullet and farmed Belfry Sol offline to hit Rank 2 in the Bell Keepers Covenant last night. Took about an hour and a half. So happy to be done with that. But, added bonus, had drop every piece of the Mad Warrior's set, plus the Berserker Blade!

PS - I'll never use them.

Thats what im doing next.

fade_

What? There's a
bonfire near the boss
?

I always

I guess you missed Lucatiel summons in that area too =]

Mogwai

I'm loving my STR/FTH build. Lightning spears are just a lot of fun and powerful. I don't really use any other Miracles.

Btw, Sunlight Spear takes up TWO Attunement slots so better upgrade that too.

Yeah, Imma have to keep the prayer ring on and lose some Pyro. Not letting go of Warmth though. Too much fun.

What? There's a
bonfire near the boss
?

I always

Thats what im doing next.

Worst past was that I thought you hit Rank 2 at a combined 20. So I hit 20 and...nothing. When I realized I had to hit 30, was seriously tempted to just quit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's physically impossible to get stuck though, as you always have that item that can return you to last bonfire at cost of all souls. Assuming you don't have the other items to return of course.
We're talking about the no-bonfire runs. Using the Darksign will return you to the last lit bonfire, so if you accidentally light that Belfry one, your run is ruined.

I think I'm going to try http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/charac...werstance-mageThis Build, seems like a fun twist on my already powerful mage. Being able to swing fast swords and still cast with them ahha
Wow, I had no idea buffing that sword would increase its spell damage...?! I gotta farm those swords and try it. I actually meant to try that sword on my mage anyway but I sadly didn't get the drop (whereas on my pure dex I got like 3 copies, of course). I think I killed Vendrick too fast. XD

Oh by the way, tip for mages, in case you didn't know:
At some point (not sure when?) I noticed Ornifex starts selling infinite Amber Herbs! Total gamechanger really.

Amen. It goes down to 40% and you can finish it while it dangles on the edge. Remember the skeleton leftovers, though :)
Interesting.
The horse dangles, or the rider? I gotta try that at least once, just to see it haha.

Doing a katana powerstance build.

First run through Iron Keep I get two Blacksteel Katanas and I haven't even reached Smelter yet.

I was thinking of going Darkdrift/Washing Pole or Darkdrift/Manslayer but this might change my plans.

LiK

Just finished everything on NG with my 5th character. It takes me 15 hours flat to get to SL 150 and clear all bosses now.

It's pretty quick once we know everything. NG with my second character took me 25 hours to beat. Took another few hours to mop up.

Goddamn invading sinners is fun as hell. Coming across gank squads is always a treat, though I've yet to win one against three other people but it's great every time.

One guy did not want to fight at all, he hid behind a corner and then tried to lightning spear me. It was basically this:
eAea3.gif

Only replace that single kick with a lightning spear. Then I broke his guard and he stumbled off the edge of a cliff into the water XD Poor guy!

GulAtiCa

I wish invading sinners had a better reward then "nothing". I'd do it more often. For now, I'll stick to red invasions, plus you end up invading sinners that way mostly too.

Akuun

Yea
if you go to the far right side theres a path off the cliff that goes into a little hidden cove to the right of the boss fog gate
Yup, totally missed that. This area was the first place in any Souls game that made me NOPE so hard that I just ran through the whole thing screaming and tried to assassinate the boss so that I could get the fuck out of there.

I guess you missed Lucatiel summons in that area too =]
Missed that too. I'm still on my first playthrough so I'm sure I'm missing a ton of stuff. I'll figure out what I've missed after finishing the game at least once.

E92 M3

Goddamn invading sinners is fun as hell. Coming across gank squads is always a treat, though I've yet to win one against three other people but it's great every time.

One guy did not want to fight at all, he hid behind a corner and then tried to lightning spear me. It was basically this:
eAea3.gif

Only replace that single kick with a lightning spear. Then I broke his guard and he stumbled off the edge of a cliff into the water XD Poor guy!

Nothing feels better than taking out a whole gank squad with the TWotG!

AngryMoth

Rapiers are annoying in PvP because they really emphasise the lag. Seems like you're dodging every attack but they hit you anyway even when they appear to miss by several feet.

jimi_dini

Well nobody said it was going to be easy.

Well, it surprises me that you can actually use bonfires as checkpoints. I assumed that you wouldn't even be allowed to touch one at all (except maybe the main one). So it's already easier than what I assumed. (doesn't mean that it's easy lol)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Worst past was that I thought you hit Rank 2 at a combined 20. So I hit 20 and...nothing. When I realized I had to hit 30, was seriously tempted to just quit.

I just want to get all the covenant stuff out of the way before ng+. I already did so much and dragged it out for so long that i figure i might as well..especially considering that i ain't paying that freeloader cromwell a dime so i gotta be ready for all the invasions.

Akuun

I've just
met Straid recently, and started trading a few boss souls for their weapons.
So far, none of them stand out to me. I don't really like
the Pursuer's Greatsword's moveset, which is pretty disappointing because I think the sword looks cool.
Any of these weapons any good? I can't really experiment yet because I don't have a good source of titanite.

LiK

I've just
met Straid recently, and started trading a few boss souls for their weapons.
So far, none of them stand out to me. I don't really like
the Pursuer's Greatsword's moveset, which is pretty disappointing because I think the sword looks cool.
Any of these weapons any good? I can't really experiment yet because I don't have a good source of titanite.

None of the boss weapons are that great unless fully upgraded. The special attacks for some of them are cool looking but they drain so much durability that they're not worth using. I think only a handful are worth getting but this is all up to your preferences.

ElFly

Well, it surprises me that you can actually use bonfires as checkpoints. I assumed that you wouldn't even be allowed to touch one at all (except maybe the main one). So it's already easier than what I assumed. (doesn't mean that it's easy lol)

Yeah, no bonfire run sounds like a lot of busy work and precautions to not actually sit at a bonfire.

No dead run is more interesting.

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh, so you can easily light the bonfires in a no bonfire run? That makes things a lot less time consuming, and honestly it doesnt really sound that hard either then, especially since you can just die to repair and fill up on estus and spell usages. I thought you had to start at the begining of the game every time you died.

EDIT: I mean, it doesnt add that much to the difficulty to the gameplay itself since you can just clear an area, light the next bonfire, die and progress further on with full estus and spell usages. Its probably still a bit hard to make sure to not sit down at the bonfire out of habit :)

Akuun

None of the boss weapons are that great unless fully upgraded. The special attacks for some of them are cool looking but they drain so much durability that they're not worth using. I think only a handful are worth getting but this is all up to your preferences.
So... are boss souls useless then? I usually don't actually use boss souls for souls.

LiK

So... are boss souls useless then? I usually don't actually use boss souls for souls.

Also check if there are any spells/miracles/hexes you need. Straid will take a few boss souls for them.

I still have a shitload of boss souls I'm keeping just in case I decide to grab another weapon to check out. But like you, I don't usually use boss weapons either.

Soulhouf

Oh, so you can easily light the bonfires in a no bonfire run? That makes things a lot less time consuming, and honestly it doesnt really sound that hard either then, especially since you can just die to repair and fill up on estus and spell usages. I thought you had to start at the begining of the game every time you died.

EDIT: I mean, it doesnt add that much to the difficulty to the gameplay itself since you can just clear an area, light the next bonfire, die and progress further on with full estus and spell usages. Its probably still a bit hard to make sure to not sit down at the bonfire out of habit :)

That's precisely why the bonfire after the Gargoyles is so dangerous lol

My Moonlight Greatsword has served me well, but granted you need a NG+ soul to even get it. And I know its considered one of the best weapons

ZangBa

I bow to your magnificence! Are you going to do the no bonfire one too? :D

Yes, I am. I'm going to NG+ where I'll do that one after I finish up what I left over in NG. I started this character with the intent being to make my perfect PVP character at SL150. I made the no death run unnecessarily difficult by sticking to 20 Vigor and pumping Dexterity to 30+ to follow my build <_<.

(late game spoilers ahoy)

Ok... before I give myself an anger headache repeatedly fighting
Ancient Dragon
I need to ask:

Just how much difference does that one extra
Soul of the Giant
make in the fight against
King Vendrick
?
I have 4 out of 5, but of course that 5th one will have to come from that cheap fuckbag
Ancient Dragon

I took a test run on
Vendrick
and handled him fairly well. I mean, his patterns are fairly simple, but I wasn't doing much damage before I got sloppy and he broke my poise and followed it up with a fatal swing. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting that 5th
giant soul
to make the battle a bit quicker. Beating him as it is now is just going to require a lot of patience and minimal mistakes.

LiK

My Moonlight Greatsword has served me well, but granted you need a NG+ soul to even get it. And I know its considered one of the best weapons

So far I'm liking the Bow of Want. Don't need a Greatbow so I didn't get the Dragonider Bow. I'm also a fan of the Watcher Greatsword. No stupid special attack.

Not that much.

You can easily do it with 4.

Yea, fight is the same but just takes a bit longer. It was way faster with 5 but 4 is doable.

Ancient Dragon
I need to ask:

Soul of the Giant
King Vendrick
?
I have 4 out of 5, but of course that 5th one will have to come from that cheap fuckbag
Ancient Dragon

I took a test run on
Vendrick
and handled him fairly well. I mean, his patterns are fairly simple, but I wasn't doing much damage before I got sloppy and he broke my poise and followed it up with a fatal swing. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting that 5th
giant soul
to make the battle a bit quicker. Beating him as it is now is just going to require a lot of patience and minimal mistakes.
Vendrick seemed mad eays to me when I took the time to get all five souls. Granted, I think I might have overleveled before I fought him, but that extra soul makes it a lot easier, but defniitely not impossible with just 4. Like you said, he's easy to dodge once you learn his patterns

zma1013

Ancient Dragon
I need to ask:

Soul of the Giant
King Vendrick
?
Ancient Dragon

It cuts his health in half each time. 0 souls he has 32x health, 1 soul 16x health, 2 souls 8x times health, 3 souls 4x health, 4 souls 2x health, 5 souls 1x health.

Akuun

Also check if there are any spells/miracles/hexes you need. Straid will take a few boss souls for them.

I still have a shitload of boss souls I'm keeping just in case I decide to grab another weapon to check out. But like you, I don't usually use boss weapons either.
I'm going pure physical this playthrough, so probably not. So far I've just put away all the boss weapons I've made and still dual wield with a bastard sword on right hand and a rapier in the left. I do like the curved greatsword's moveset though, so I might use that once I get a chance to upgrade it.

Top Bottom