• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Sullichin

can someone give me the stats I need to have more or less until I hit diminishing returns for a STR char with shield and / or a DEX char with shield? Basically the 2 characters I finished DS1 with (actually the STR char was a mess with with wasted points in dex and faith and shit because I didnt know what I was doing, it was my first)

I want to have that type of information imbedded in my brain for when I start the game next week.

I love my shields, no shield is not an option!

Hard to say, some shields are really heavy and require a lot of str. There's diminishing returns in STR after 40, but it's common in STR builds to bring it up even up to 60 to squeeze out some more damage, because stat scaling doesn't add as much as DS1.

You can also respec your stats in this game. The only thing you can't do is de-level or make stats go lower than what you started with (so you're stuck with at least your base stats)

Absolutely.

Being able to dodge more easily makes things much easier, esp in PvP

Makes sense. I'm already like level 210 though. Not sure if I should start pumping that or continue sprinkling more points on my other stats.
33(?) VIT
40END
50INT
50FTH
40ATT
18 STR
20 DEX

20 dex was for washing pole, but now I'm mostly using dual maces and don't need 20. If Mace has DEX requirement of 5, I only need... 8 dex to powerstance, right? Keeping my STR what it is now or increasing it, of course.

Man whoever this guy is SUCKS. He dies multiple times to the exact same thing, consistently doesn't watch where he is going and doesn't or roll out of the way of hazards or enemies even when he has full stamina.

Went to go defend myself in this response and I found your secret message. <3

It is pretty much my first souls experience and I'm doing it on stream. Watching the chat and playing DS is not easy. These are the deaths from my first 2 streams. I'm thinking there is going to be 6 more episodes in this series. If anyone missed it here is the link again.

Cyborg

Sorry for asking so much but I was banned and have a lot of questions.

Is there a combinations of rings that give you the best results? Something a lot of people use?

zma1013

Is there a combinations of rings that give you the best results? Something a lot of people use?

The only thing most people use I think is the Chloranthy Ring that speeds up your stamina regen. Beyond that, there's a mix of many different rings that can be useful depending on your build and playstyle.

The hell, now I need to look this up

The ring of the assassin Gower, who has killed a half-dozen kings, and several distinguished clergymen. Reduces damage taken from behind. For an assassin, whose own life is always at stake, the greatest liability is one's exposed back.

Found in
Shaded Woods - NG+ only.

GulAtiCa

I tend to always use a Third Dragon Ring + Life Ring 2 for 2500 Health of my main. Beyond that depends on what I am currently doing. I also tend to use Chloranthy Ring +2 and Clear Bluestone Ring +2 a lot. Covetous Silver Serpent Ring +2 and Northern Ritual Band / Southern Ritual Band are worn by my main a good bit too.

Sullichin

You pretty much pick 4 rings that complement your build.

E.g on my hexer/spellsword,
Third Dragon Ring (end/vig/vit boost)
Clear Bluetone +2 (cast speed)
Lingering Dragoncrest+1 (spell length)
Abyss Ring (hex damage)

Switching between:
- Southern Ritual Band +2 (more spell slots)
- Silver Serpent +2 (while cooping bosses)
- Stone Ring (stagger more with my dual maces)

4 Ring slots is not enough for this build!

On melee I have stone ring, cloranthy, ring of blades+2 and third dragon.

I guess the only one I'm likely to use for most characters is third dragon ring.

J-Roderton

Thought I could never do it but taking down
Rotten
with just Vengarl helm and dual wielding Ultra Greatswords was the most fun thing I have ever done in a Souls game. I'm getting much better at the rolls. The boss fights are just insane with no shield attached. Way intense.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Pro's,

I need your help. Im still in NG (way overpower, I think) but I have 824k souls to spend. Could you guys advice me? Look at my stats and give me tips where to invest in or what to change with a Soule Vessel.

CmAPTMP.jpg

Raising you ADP will net you a bunch of poise at this point. If that appeals to you...

I change up rings based on what I'm doing or trying out, but my basic go to set of rings (general Strength + Faith build):

1. Chloranthy - improve stamina regen is good for any build
2. Ring of Life Protection - with Effigies limited, I find it better to just wear this and pay the "death tax" to stay human and not leave a blood stain
3. Ring of Blades - Increase physical weapon damage
4. Dragon Ring - the Favor and Protection of DSII

Just need all the pyromancies and all of the miracles for the 1000G. Got the 1000 in Dark Souls also but can't be arsed with the whole pure bladestone shit in Demon's Souls. I definitely think this is my favorite of the three Souls games. It's really thrown a spanner in the works of my completing 52 games in a year challenge, unfortunately. Oh well, it's worth it.

Soulhouf

You're doing a SL1 Covenant of Champions run?

I only tried to see how viable it is but I'm planning to do it later.
The idea behind is to get +3 in that covenant and punch everything to death bare hands. That way you keep a good AR while staying light.

Edit: WTF. Did they switch vitality and vigor in the English version? That's so confusing.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The idea behind is to get +3 in that covenant and punch everything to death bare hands. That way you keep a good AR while staying light.

Wear the Falcon Knight set.

FALCONE PAAWNCHHH

Edit: WTF. Did they switch vitality and vigor in the English version? That's so confusing.

Vigor is Health, Vitality is Equip Load

I scratch my head over this, too.

NG+. Went strolling into
Drangleic Castle and went to the room behind the ghost to see if anything changed from NG to NG+... only to have two fucking Pursuers pop up! It was one of those, "oh fuck!" moments... and then...

War. Is. On!

Love NG+.

GulAtiCa

NG+. Went strolling into
Drangleic Castle and went to the room behind the ghost to see if anything changed from NG to NG+... only to have two fucking Pursuers pop up! It was one of those, "oh fuck!" moments... and then...

War. Is. On!

Love NG+.

Just wait till NG++, there are
-two--
of them!
Could you imagine if there were # amount per each NG level? lol

goonie

Went to go defend myself in this response and I found your secret message. <3

It is pretty much my first souls experience and I'm doing it on stream. Watching the chat and playing DS is not easy. These are the deaths from my first 2 streams. I'm thinking there is going to be 6 more episodes in this series. If anyone missed it here is the link again.
I thought this was a fun watch. I'll keep an eye out for the others!

I had some fun co-op sessions last night. Met some really cool people and made a few friends. The co-op community in these games is amazing.

Invasions on the other hand, just stress me out to no end. I still love them, though. Completely changes the intensity of a level. A phantom, Lucatiel and I were working our way through No Man's Wharf (NG+)
when I got invaded by a dark spirit. We stood on a high ledge trying to keep an eye out for him. Minutes passed with no sign of the invader. We decided to push on, and made it to the ship. The phantom took out one enemy, and his task was completed. Just Luca and I were left. After clearing out the deck of the ship, I cautiously made my way below deck. Shield up, I stopped on the staircase before the fog door and listened. It was completely quiet except for the gentle water ambiance. The room looked deserted. Tables and chairs littered the small area, and I could sense something wasn't right. He was here.

Only on instinct, and with no signs to betray the trespasser's presence, I threw a flame swathe into the middle of the room. All I saw then was a giant bookshelf sliding away from the pyromancy. Luca charged while I took advantage of the distraction and shot off a few spells. He didn't last long after that. I'm just happy I didn't fall for his "hide and backstab while entering the fog door" trick! :p

The Ruler's Sword looks pretty great provided you have a bunch of spare souls lying around. Its attack rating increases if you have heaps of souls on you, though I'm not sure what the ceiling is for that. I saw a streamer today who had a dark infused one with an attack rating of 617 and that's with only the minimum required stats (scaling lol). It also has the Claymore's moveset, so that's another great bonus.

Sullichin

Ah I forgot that was the bonus from the covenant ring.
Just looked it up because that's pretty interesting
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Vanquisher's+Seal
280 damage with 20str/20dex? That's pretty decent, but it doesn't sound like it would be so great at 6str/dex. Plus you'd have to stay in the covenant until you got it.

I want to have a word with the person who did the English translation because I'm browsing the wiki right now and some areas have terrible names (Things Betwixt, seriously?).

What's a better english translation? (Don't know what the japanese name is)

Vitality for equip load is really dumb.

Been using the Drangelic shield for the entire game... simply because its the only 100% block non-greatshield I've come across. I just beat the duo in
Throne of Want
and see I can get Defender's shield from
Ornifex
. Is this shield good? Does it require Twinkling to upgrade?

Sullichin

Been using the Drangelic shield for the entire game... simply because its the only 100% block non-greatshield I've come across. I just beat the duo in
Throne of Want
Ornifex

Should be petrified dragon bones. No idea if it's good but personally I wouldn't waste dragon bones on a shield.

Soulhouf

What's wrong with Things Betwixt?
What's a better english translation? (Don't know what the japanese name is)

Vitality for equip load is really dumb.

In the Japanese version it's called (raw translation) "Hollow's Crevice". There are much better ways to work around it than "Things Betwixt" IMO.
Perhaps it's just me.

HP is called Vitality in the Japanese version and equip load is called "Physical Burden".

Throne of Want
Ornifex
I think it's pretty good, 100% physical reduction, high magic and elemental reduction, and high stability for a medium shield.

It upgrades with Petrified Dragon Bone.

Should be petrified dragon bones. No idea if it's good but personally I wouldn't waste dragon bones on a shield.

Dang. Is Drangleic shield the only optimal 100% block non-greatshield? I'm about ready to change my look with this thing.

I think it's pretty good, 100% physical reduction, high magic and elemental reduction, and high deflection for a medium shield.

Yeah that's what caught my eye. But don't want to waste Twinkling/Dragon Bones on it.

So I'm a few hours into my sorcerer build. I have faith at 4 and as of now I am not planning on upgrading it or doing hexes (mainly focusing on sorcery and pyromancy). I heard Felkin has some awesome armor for sorcerers. I may not do 20 faith, so would I get all his awesome gear if I axe his ass? Or is the 20 faith worth it just for that?

Stampy

I have like 10 titanite chunks. and 6+ weapons. Which of three would it make the most sense to upgrade. Chime, Lightining Claymore or basic Mace. I am a str (26) / faith (44) build so far.

zma1013

Throne of Want
Ornifex

There's a 100% physical block shield from the vendor in the house in Majula that's better than the Drangelic shield. Very plain looking shield but cheap to buy and the other block values are slightly higher.

EDIT: Eh, scratch that, I was wrong. I was thinking the Drangelic shield was a different shield. I guess it's not better.

Soulhouf

Dang. Is Drangleic shield the only optimal 100% block non-greatshield? I'm about ready to change my look with this thing.

Yeah that's what caught my eye. But don't want to waste Twinkling/Dragon Bones on it.

I'm using that shield right now and it's pretty good.
You can infuse it with an element as well.

There's a 100% physical block shield from the vendor in the house in Majula that's better than the Drangelic shield. Very plain looking shield but cheap to buy and the other block values are slightly higher.

Awesome. I'll look into that. Thanks!

I'm using that shield right now and it's pretty good.
You can infuse it with an element as well.

What's the benefit of equipping with an element? Better resistance to said element? Also, does it use dragon bones to upgrade?

AngryMoth

I want to have a word with the person who did the English translation because I'm browsing the wiki right now and some areas have terrible names (Things Betwixt, seriously?).
I think Things Betwixt is a great name. On balance the translation is much better in this game than the previous ones. Still a little rough around the edges but the dialogue and place names and stuff I think are really well done.

Awesome. I'll look into that. Thanks!

What's the benefit of equipping with an element? Better resistance to said element? Also, does it use dragon bones to upgrade?

The actual upgrading (+1 to +10) is independent of the element you choose to infuse. It's different from Dark Souls.

Sorry I goofed, it's not better, just lighter.

Ah, no worries. I just want a new shield with 100% block dammit. If Defender's shield doesn't require any rare upgrade materials I would use it. It looks pretty cool.

The actual upgrading (+1 to +10) is independent of the element you choose to infuse. It's different from Dark Souls.

I meant does the shield itself use dragon bones to upgrade - if not what does it use?

Soulhouf

Yes it increases the damage reduction of the said element significantly and since it already has a pretty good resistance against elements, it can get pretty high when you infuse it.
And yes it's upgraded with the petrified dragon bone. I upgraded it to +5 and I don't regret it at all.

Yes it increases the damage reduction of the said element significantly and since it already has a pretty good resistance against elements, it can get pretty high when you infuse it.
And yes it's upgraded with the petrified dragon bone. I upgraded it to +5 and I don't regret it at all.

I'm using Defender's Shield with no upgrade and I like it. It may be the best pound for pound shield.

Great, I think I'll give it a go just to change this damn Drangelic shield. I don't think I'll be using the bones for anything else anyway.

Not to burst your bubble but the iron parma and silver eagle shield are worse. The old knight shield has 100% physical block.

Where do you get the old knight shield? Is it significantly worse than Drangelic? What material does it use to upgrade?

Top Bottom