• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
I know, just trying to troubleshoot why he lost a rank. If he lost like, 10 matches before checking his rank after getting the DLC, there could be a correlation.If he lost them immediately after the patches, then it's something different.
I mean't that more of a sense that it's technically not possible to loose rank outside of BoB. Visiting the cat so you know what rank you are would be helpful.

ilium

I know, just trying to troubleshoot why he lost a rank. If he lost like, 10 matches before checking his rank after getting the DLC, there could be a correlation.

If he lost them immediately after the patches, then it's something different.

well, haha...
i thought really hard about it now and actually...i am not quite sure anymore i got to rank 3 before i took a break from ds2. i know i've been grinding away in the sentinals covenant for a long time, and assumed i took a break after reaching it. i have two wrath of the gods , but it turns out you get bountiful sunlight for rank 3. i checked wellager and bought one there. only have one bountiful so...i guess i just remembered wrong reaching rank 3... T T

on another matter. when the first DLC came out i jumped back into the game but was kinda tired of my paladin archtype character after around 250h playing him, so i used a vessel and went sorcery. 99INT, 75ATT
i had so much fun with this build that i decided not to vessel back to FTH, but i'm not quite sure which weapon to use (especially for PvP)
i just can't decide between MLG and Watcher's GS.
MLG does insane damage, the special is very useful, but the 2hand moveset is just silly compared to watcher's and it's slower.
i used defender's a lot when my char was still faith so i know the watcher's in and out. it's a great weapon, but the MLG is too...

i've been trying both at the blue arena today and just cannot decide which i want to use.
any insight which might help me?

also any tricks for using sorcery spells during PvP? i mainly use my sword and don't want to spam magic, but i have all those spells and kinda want to use them sometimes.
soul shower seems great to make people roll and exhaust their stamina so i can get a MLG special hit in. but other than that i don't really know how to use most of the spells effectively.

Ruuppa

I mean't that more of a sense that it's technically not possible to loose rank outside of BoB. Visiting the cat so you know what rank you are would be helpful.

I'm assuming he did that to notice that his rank had gotten lowered.

I just picked the first possibility that came into my mind when he posted, which is some bug or something with the covenant regarding duels. There has been no patch-note about changing the system in any direction, so that's what I went with.

It can always be user error though.

Edit: And user error it is! It happens :p
also any tricks for using sorcery spells during PvP? i mainly use my sword and don't want to spam magic, but i have all those spells and kinda want to use them sometimes.
soul shower seems great to make people roll and exhaust their stamina so i can get a MLG special hit in. but other than that i don't really know how to use most of the spells effectively.

Homing Soulmass/Homing Crystal Soulmass + Soul Greatsword is a really good combo to catch people if you can time it right. Get the opponent to dodge the soulmass, and catch them with the sword.

Mistel

Banned
i've been trying both at the blue arena today and just cannot decide which i want to use. any insight which might help me?
Without knowing your STR/DEX which would be be better for you in terms of pure damage front so go which ever of the pair you like the most. Moonlight unless it is enchanted does pure magic damage where as the watcher does split. There could be a third option of a enchanted black dragon great sword that might be worth investigating.

ilium

Without knowing your STR/DEX which would be be better for you in terms of pure damage front so go which ever of the pair you like the most. Moonlight unless it is enchanted does pure magic damage where as the watcher does split. There could be a third option of a enchanted black dragon great sword that might be worth investigating.

18/18 STR/DEX
I think i decided on the watcher's for PvP and MLG for PvE. the MLG 2hand moveset is just too bad compared to watcher's and it's a little to slow for my taste.

Homing Soulmass/Homing Crystal Soulmass + Soul Greatsword is a really good combo to catch people if you can time it right. Get the opponent to dodge the soulmass, and catch them with the sword.

Heh, i tried that combo and 2-shot someone with it. A lot of people dodge it tho. But still a good suprise duel start

Mistel

Banned
18/18 STR/DEX
I think i decided on the watcher's for PvP and MLG for PvE. the MLG 2hand moveset is just too bad compared to watcher's.
Moonlight greatsword has the higher AR(570 AR to 501) and doesn't suffer from split damage so it would be the better of the pair. But it's only a 69 AR difference between them and its personal preferences for movesets. The sorcery clutch ring would give a nice bonus for either one.

I do first a homing soulmass just to say "come at me bro" I know the spell will fail anyway but is some sort of putting in his head "long range is pointless and I wont move from here, take it easy"

So he will probably charge at me this is where you know what to do.

If he goes Melee roll to his side but no roll back because you would definitely get hit and stun, rolling to his side will prevent you to get hit and let him waste his energy and roll back, making you cast a heavy arrow or another Homing soulmass to punish him, he will try it again, if he tries to roll at you prepare a soul greatsword to stun him load a heavy arrow.

If he goes casting just mark your territory with heavy soul arrows, he will deplete its filthy pyros and desesperate going melee to you, poor guy. Prepare a soul spear only when you see him casting a loong cast spell and just for that.

If he goes long range just roll at the sides use cover and wait him to go melee anyway

ilium

Moonlight greatsword has the higher AR(570 AR to 501) and doesn't suffer from split damage so it would be the better of the pair. But it's only a 69 AR difference between them and its personal preferences for movesets. The sorcery clutch ring would give a nice bonus for either one.

yeah, MLG wrecks stuff. and it looks amazing! (which is kinda important to me)
but the moveset...ughh! watcher's 2hand vertical sweep is just too godly.
i also noticed that watcher's gets more AR bonus from sorcery clutch ring. MLG gets +30AR, watcher's gets +36AR, which i found rather curious.

I do first a homing soulmass just to say "come at me bro" I know the spell will fail anyway but is some sort of putting in his head "long range is pointless and I wont move from here, take it easy"

So he will probably charge at me this is where you know what to do.

If he goes Melee roll to his side but no roll back because you would definitely get hit and stun, rolling to his side will prevent you to get hit and let him waste his energy and roll back, making you cast a heavy arrow or another Homing soulmass to punish him, he will try it again, if he tries to roll at you prepare a soul greatsword to stun him load a heavy arrow.

If he goes casting just mark your territory with heavy soul arrows, he will deplete its filthy pyros and desesperate going melee to you, poor guy. Prepare a soul spear only when you see him casting a loong cast spell and just for that.

If he goes long range just roll at the sides use cover and wait him to go melee anyway

thanks!
why heavy soul arrows tho? does is cast a lot faster than soul spear? or just because it has more casts?

Mistel

Banned
yeah, MLG wrecks stuff. and it looks amazing! (which is kinda important to me)
but the moveset...ughh! watcher's 2hand vertical sweep is just too godly.
i also noticed that watcher's gets more AR bonus from sorcery clutch ring. MLG gets +30AR, watcher's gets +36AR, which i found rather curious.
Is your watcher greatsword infused with magic perchance? If it is that will be why it gets higher AR weapons that have natural magic along with infused on the special upgrade path get more than 30AR.

thanks!
why heavy soul arrows tho? does is cast a lot faster than soul spear? or just because it has more casts?

Well the soul spear got nerfed making its casting longer and deal less damage, still the spear can "track" you and hit you if you run away from the caster without counting the whole spear body can hit you not only the tip.

So the best move is always roll on the sides, never roll back against a caster because casting is extremely effective at long range and pretty bad at close combat. So yep, the soul spear is extremely situational now. Is pretty efective if you land it when your opponent is rolling at you from afar and use the track system of the spear to stun him and have half casting of a new spear on him.

The heavy arrow is faster, safer and sometimes more powerfull compared to a soul spear, pretty useless at a starting a fight but amazing to making space and recover your pace, use for punish casting and keep your distance.

ilium

Is your watcher greatsword infused with magic perchance? If it is that will be why it gets higher AR weapons that have natural magic along with infused on the special upgrade path get more than 30AR.

Both are infused with magic.
and according to this:

Special (Twinkling Titanite and Petrified Dragon Bone -reinforced) weapons that have been infused with Magic , with a pre-existing Magic stat, will receive more than 30 AR. The better the weapon’s innate Magic characteristics, the greater the bonus.

the MLG should get more than 30. but for some reason it doesn't.

The heavy arrow is faster, safer and sometimes more powerfull compared to a soul spear, pretty useless at a starting a fight but amazing to making space and recover your pace, use for punish casting and keep your distance.

i'll try heavy arrow next, thanks!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Whelp I wont be getting full llewellyn's either. Only got the gloves and armor (and two of each at that). Did at least also get the twinblade and the parma plus two slabs off those guys. I did get to complete the mastadon set though. Probably gonna work on getting the last piece of the rusted mastadon set now then maybe move towards hopefully getting the red lion cape to the head piece off that one guy.

Mistel

Banned
Whelp I wont be getting full llewellyn's either. Only got the gloves and armor (and two of each at that). Did at least also get the twinblade and the parma plus two slabs off those guys. I did get to complete the mastadon set though. Probably gonna work on getting the last piece of the rusted mastadon set now then maybe move towards hopefully getting the red lion cape to the head piece off that one guy.
You could ascetic the centeral drangelic bonfire if you want another chance to get the other parts of the Llewellyn set.
AR goes from 608 > 638 on the MLG
510 > 546 on watcher's..
staff of wisdom 550 > 583.
That's odd if anything watchers should have a lower bonus than a moonlight.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You could ascetic the centeral drangelic bonfire if you want another chance to get the other parts of the Llewellyn set.

That's odd if anything watchers should have a lower bonus than a moonlight.

Well I may. I'll probably just go for some other stuff first, see if I can get it.

Really nice ring, but goddamn annoying to get. Getting it is nigh on impossible without farming using Ascetics.

What was it, 50 Awestones? And you can only get around 10, maybe 20 with the DLCs and playing offline, from NPC invaders throughout the whole game. Getting them from normal enemies at 0.1% droprate is a fresh kind of hell.
Vanquisher's Seal? You can farm Rhoy the Explorer in Grave of Saints. Every ascetic = 12 spawns, plus the initial one, then you just need one more from any random other human or NPC invader for the 50.

Ruuppa

Vanquisher's Seal? You can farm Rhoy the Explorer in Grave of Saints. Every ascetic = 12 spawns, plus the initial one, then you just need one more from any random other human or NPC invader for the 50.

Well yeah, that was kind of the point: Nigh on impossible without Ascetics. If you solely farm Rhoy for the Awestones, you'll need to burn at least 4 Ascetics there.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well yeah, that was kind of the point: Nigh on impossible without Ascetics.
Yeah but you only need to use like 2 ascetics top, in a place where it doesn't affect the difficulty much, so it's not a big deal. Still a bit annoying though, I wish killing bosses while in the covenant gave awestones.

Ruuppa

Yeah but you only need to use like 2 ascetics top, in a place where it doesn't affect the difficulty much, so it's not a big deal. Still a bit annoying though, I wish killing bosses while in the covenant gave awestones.

Hell yeah, I can get behind that. A harder boss that gives you an Awestone as a bonus while being in the covenant? You could get all of the Awestones in one round without scumming around or metagaming with the wikis.

Which brings me to this problem: Metagaming with wikis etc. is the only way to get enough Awestones reasonably well. I would never have figured out myself to

1. Go to Grave of Saints
2. Turn the game offline by flicking my router on and off
3. Farm a dude repeatedly with Ascetics, who only spawns multiple times on the second round forwards

There are lots of similar things in Souls though, so not the most valid of complaints (half of the fun is finding stuff out myself). But still annoying to have to google it.

Hell yeah, I can get behind that. A harder boss that gives you an Awestone as a bonus while being in the covenant? You could get all of the Awestones in one round without scumming around or metagaming with the wikis.

Which brings me to this problem: Metagaming with wikis etc. is the only way to get enough Awestones reasonably well. I would never have figured out myself to

1. Go to Grave of Saints
2. Turn the game offline by flicking my router on and off
3. Farm a dude repeatedly with Ascetics, who only spawns multiple times on the second round forwards

There are lots of similar things in Souls though, so not the most valid of complaints (half of the fun is finding stuff out myself). But still annoying to have to google it.

Because it wasnt the intendet way to use...? That mechanic is for "offline" players

Ruuppa

Because it wasnt the intendet way to use...? That mechanic is for "offline" players

I did try it the online way the first time I was going for Vanquisher's Seal. Company of Champions from the very beginning of the game, bought the Delicate String and wore it all the time right after the moment I had access to Undead Purgatory..

Grand total of four player invasions throughout the whole game*. So that method goes right out of the window for me.

Edit: *Around 80h playtime, since it was one of my first times through the game.

I gave up even trying to get every piece of gear in this game, when I realised it wasn't that type of game for me, my OCD about getting everything died down. Not like DS1 where even if I wasn't using pyro I'd still max out the glove and buy all the spells before leaving Blighttown.

On my last run though, I did get the mask that the twin avelyn NPC in the Belfry Sol drops and I'd never got that before even when farming with ascetics. Always get that kind of shit when I don't want/need it!!

v1perz53

Whelp struck out on the Manikin Claws too. What a fucking stupid mechanic.

Yea, I really hate what they did. I have a Dark Souls 1 save with every item in the game and I intended to do the same with Dark Souls 2, but with limited spawns and incredibly rare drops and some enemy types dropping like 9 different things, I just really can't bring myself to care or to farm anything that I don't plan to actually use.

Though nothing more annoying than not getting the full Llewellyn set on the character I planned to use that set on. Gotta love only having like 5 guys in the whole game that drop a full set and a weapon.

I heard that From did it to discourage farming, but by including aescetics in the game you don't discourage anything, you just make it a huge pain in the ass to do so.

Ruuppa

I think the only enemies in the game that have decent, as in "This should be the norm!", droprates for their stuff are the Gyrm Warriors. They're also one of the few enemies that drop multiple items at the same time somewhat consistently.

Come to think of it, I've never had an enemy drop two pieces of their armorset at the same time. I've had them drop an upgrade item, a consumable and a piece of armor, but never two armor pieces.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Are you using all of the item discovery gear you can? It's a real shame it's just those three that can drop them.

Yeah I start using the prisoner's tatter to hopefully maximize my chances but who knows if they actually stack or cancel each other in weird ways. I did manage to get the rest of the drops I wanted in Earthen Peak though. Got the desert sorcress hood and top, the grave warden mask and spear and the manikin sabre and gloves. I actually have an extra sorcress hood and gloves if someone needs them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yea, I really hate what they did. I have a Dark Souls 1 save with every item in the game and I intended to do the same with Dark Souls 2, but with limited spawns and incredibly rare drops and some enemy types dropping like 9 different things, I just really can't bring myself to care or to farm anything that I don't plan to actually use.

Though nothing more annoying than not getting the full Llewellyn set on the character I planned to use that set on. Gotta love only having like 5 guys in the whole game that drop a full set and a weapon.

I heard that From did it to discourage farming, but by including aescetics in the game you don't discourage anything, you just make it a huge pain in the ass to do so.

Its not just a full set and weapon. They also drop a shield and titanite slabs to kill your chances even more (and all that equipment only drops from them). Also isnt it weird you cant get the undead steelworker's hammer?

I've also pretty much struck out on the Hollow White Mage clothes and I didnt even realize I needed to keep the Chariot alive to get the black hollow mage set and the lizard staff.

Zocano

This whole dynamic is just so very weird and a hard thing to deal with.

If you keep enemy spawns infinite, you can farm to your hearts content but for people actually trying to beat the game, it really just ends up encouraging running past them way way way more.

If you limit enemy spawns like how Dark Souls 2 dudes did it, then you can just war of attrition your way to every boss (sure it takes a long time but it's very doable). It cuts out farming (which, honestly, I like, but ascetics just make it viable again) at the expense of "difficulty".

By difficulty, I mean just dealing with the slog of enemies between you and the boss which becomes more tedious than anything once you know what to do and how to get to the boss as quickly as possible. The enemies are there really to wear you down so you have less resources getting to the bosses, but players sort of get this and realize they just need to run past everything until they hit the fog wall.

It's such a weird dynamic that's really hard to solve with how the games are currently designed. I'm going to assume it's going to be the same way with Bloodborne.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This whole dynamic is just so very weird and a hard thing to deal with.

If you keep enemy spawns infinite, you can farm to your hearts content but for people actually trying to beat the game, it really just ends up encouraging running past them way way way more.

If you limit enemy spawns like how Dark Souls 2 dudes did it, then you can just war of attrition your way to every boss (sure it takes a long time but it's very doable). It cuts out farming (which, honestly, I like, but ascetics just make it viable again) at the expense of "difficulty".

By difficulty, I mean just dealing with the slog of enemies between you and the boss which becomes more tedious than anything once you know what to do and how to get to the boss as quickly as possible. The enemies are there really to wear you down so you have less resources getting to the bosses, but players sort of get this and realize they just need to run past everything until they hit the fog wall.

It's such a weird dynamic that's really hard to solve with how the games are currently designed. I'm going to assume it's going to be the same way with Bloodborne.

I'd rather just run past and have infinite spawns. It doesnt take any less skill.

Mistel

Banned
Come to think of it, I've never had an enemy drop two pieces of their armorset at the same time. I've had them drop an upgrade item, a consumable and a piece of armor, but never two armor pieces.
I've had Gyrm and the desert sorceress drop multiple armor pieces at once but that's pretty much it.
Yeah I start using the prisoner's tatter to hopefully maximize my chances but who knows if they actually stack or canceled each other in weird ways.
There's headgear and a shield that boost item discovery along with the prisoners tatters for the torso and the ring.

Ruuppa

I've had Gyrm and the desert sorceress drop multiple armor pieces at once but that's pretty much it.

There's headgear and a shield that boost item discovery along with the prisoners tatters for the torso and the ring.

It's just a matter of the droprates being pisspoor and me being really unlucky then..
The shield is kind of a questionmark, since it doesn't pop up the itemfind icon under your stamina when worn.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I have the jesters hat on at all times. As well has a gold serpent ring. As soon as I get a gold ring I always play with it on in DkS. I'd also use the silver ring but that just knocks my soul memory up. I used for a while and it was much harder to be summoned cause I was gaining too many souls, which sucked because I enjoyed helped with bosses.

I feel like every item discovery ring or piece of gear only adds 1% more luck. I don't even wear any of that stuff when farming anymore and the drops rates are just as random as ever.

I feel like every item discovery ring or piece of gear only adds 1% more luck. I don't even wear any of that stuff when farming anymore and the drops rates are just as random as ever.

Yeah, pretty much my non farming character have better luck than my main character that need that special item, more in the DLC with those rare drops.

Zocano

I didn't manage to get the Umbral Dagger or Fume Sorcerer Robe on the character I would've liked them on |:

And of course my STR dude got both of them. Womp.

It's just his helm you need to make him berserk.

O my mistake. Thanks :p. I prefer his berserk mode personally.

Really nice ring, but goddamn annoying to get. Getting it is nigh on impossible without farming using Ascetics.

What was it, 50 Awestones? And you can only get around 10, maybe 20 with the DLCs and playing offline, from NPC invaders throughout the whole game. Getting them from normal enemies at 0.1% droprate is a fresh kind of hell.

In the rat area down the pit in Majula, if you play in offline mode Roy the Explorer will invade you as you're going up the ladder. He invades he I believe 12 times per NG, so there's one way you can do it. And the boss fight is a joke, just look for the ray with a mohawk.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pop a soul vessel and you can have whatever character you'd like?
Maybe s/he spent all the titanite on upgrading stuff suitable for specific builds? Or maybe s/he grew attached to a certain character being a certain type of build. I know I am. My dex has a specific look and outfit, ditto for my mage, str tank, etc. I'd only ever use a soul vessel to fine-tune the build, not completely change it.

ElTopo

Banned
That Soul Memory man... I don't want to go for a no-bonfire run until the DLC is out and I've beaten every boss and I've basically exhausted Bonfire Ascetics. I have 8 left and that's it. So I tried to do some PVP and went to Ironkeep and nothing. No summons. Went to Heide's Tower and no summons. Popped an effigy and tried invading and I seemed to have invaded the same 5-6 dudes and 2 of which summoned helpers. Couldn't beat any of them, I'd get close but I'd have low health or they'd get a lag stab from 10 feet away in the other direction. Tried out the Blue Sentinel Colosseum and had 2 duels, won one of them, but ran out of tokens of fidelity.

Just curious, what are the fastest weapons? Because I thought the Red Iron Twin Blade was up there but I don't know if it's lag or I suck but every single time I'd swing before they initiate an attack and their attack comes out first.

Still sucks whenever you hit a guy, you get the hit sound effect, but no they rolled out and received no damage...

Thinking of cheesing PVP with Havel build. With the insane stats I've invested in VIT and with Soldier's Ring +2 I can run the complete set minus shield and keep it in the 40% equip load range. What's a good weapon that goes with a Havel build?

Persona7

Banned
i've been messing around on my file on new game and it seems like a there is a influx of new players lately.

obviously I am wrecking them and causing havok

Ruuppa

Thinking of cheesing PVP with Havel build. With the insane stats I've invested in VIT and with Soldier's Ring +2 I can run the complete set minus shield and keep it in the 40% equip load range. What's a good weapon that goes with a Havel build?

Katanas, Spears and Straight Swords are extremely powerful.
With most Katanas (look at the ones with 150 crit) you can trade hits and and most often come out on top.
Spears are pretty safe to poke with, and have excellent damage when combined with Old Leo Ring. Pate's is the one I'd go for.
Straight Swords are fast, strong and have a variety of scaling for Dex and Str. Sun Sword is arguably the best, with an excellent moveset and A/A Dex/Str scaling. Drakekeeper's Sword is a viable option as well, with good range. The backstep/running attack is one of the most annoying attacks to dodge in the game atm.

Butcher's Knife is also quite excellent for Str builds.

ilium

so after using the MLGS a bit more in PvP i think it is ultimately better than the watcher's. i still don't like the 2handed moveset, but then again i use spells as well so i barely 2hand it anyway. i'm glad they nerfed it tho, don't want to feel like a scrub using it.

but i still feel like a scrub using it. scars from every tryhard swinging a buffed MLGS pre-patch still hurt ;;

Dyno

Finished up Old Iron King this weekend. Another great DLC with cool maps and tough enemies. Brume Knight and Sir Alonne went down without too much problem but that's thanks to some pro-bros who worked together with me really well.

Can't wait for the next DLC! Until then I'll keep taking stabs at Ancient Dragon. God that breath weapon goes everywhere. I can never run away from it. That said I got him down to half health just by doing toe shots back and forth. It'll happen!

EDIT: So what does the Iron King crown do? What's it good for? The Sunken King crown gave some +1s to ability scores but I didn't see a change when I tried on the helmet.

Top Bottom