• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Guevara

I like the King's Shield; 5 weight units, 100% physical and not bad overall.

Plus it looks good and goes with my King's Crown.

Senoculum

What? There's a
bonfire near the boss
?

I always
started from the bonfire near the beginning of the area, and ran past all the arrow traps and horror monster pools to get to the boss. Each boss attempt took one anti-poison item and thankfully I beat him after a few tries.

I just finished the Black Gulch myself...

And yes, there's a second bonfire if you hug the edge of the cliff. And if you have a torch...
you'll find two ledges that you can drop down to. One leads to an extra NPC that can help you with the boss (this is the only boss where you can have two NPCs help, I believe)... and the second! oh man... You fight two ancient giants and they drop some giant soul...

ExVicis

Aw man maybe getting the King's Greatsword was the worst choice with that one.

Although it does hurt durability

Mistel

Banned
What's the relevance of breaking items? I haven't broken anything on purpose yet...
Well the old knight greatsword just did a little explosion once it broke like an old sun ring it took 3 tries though. I assume that's what all old knight gear has a chance to do.

nowai

Aw man maybe getting the King's Greatsword was the worst choice with that one.

Although it does hurt durability

Yes, but not for the shield. The glorious Ruler's Sword with 1 million held souls is so deadly. Borderline broken IMO.

Cyborg

Im using Great Shild and I dont take any damage but they are realy heavy. Are there any lighter shilds that block all the hits?(after upgrade)

Jaeger

Doing some PVP with double Caestus. SO awesome. My character looks like someone straight out of Fist of the North Star.

Juraash

In the Japanese version it's called (raw translation) "Hollow's Crevice". There are much better ways to work around it than "Things Betwixt" IMO.
Perhaps it's just me.

HP is called Vitality in the Japanese version and equip load is called "Physical Burden".

To each their own of course, but I think "Things Betwixt" is an awesome name. I instantly got an otherworldly/limbo-esque vibe.

Frodo

Why is everyone doing co-op in Drangleic Castle?

It is the only place in the game where I can be summoned regularly.

Son of a....Just did a bonehead thing. Beat the Pilgrims of Dark portal in the Gulch. Beat it, warped out, and in my haste to get the hell outta the entire area, Ancient Feathered back to the bonfire....

And, it turns out, once I did, it didn't register me completing that portal. So, another Effigy is about to be wasted to go back in and clear it out again. Sigh.

Audioboxer

Just got the real santiers spear. Probably not much use on my hex character though.

Struggling to think of what other weapons to try. Been through most! Keep falling back on my Dark Chaos Blade and either a Fire BKH/Dark Murakumo. The Dark Claymore is always a good bet as well.

Just got the real santiers spear. Probably not much use on my hex character though.

Struggling to think of what other weapons to try. Been through most! Keep falling back on my Dark Chaos Blade and either a Fire BKH/Dark Murakumo. The Dark Claymore is always a good bet as well.
I recall you posting the progress on your str/fair build a while back. How did that one turn out? I'm curious at to what setup others are using for paladin/cleric builds.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Just helped a guy in the Undead Crypt doing a no death/no bonfire run or something.

Not only did I kill an invader, but I also sacrificed myself on the boss fight for him :'(

I feel like I deserve some sorta unique token for this.

I guess I'll just settle with his "thnx" PM...-_-

Mogwai

To those people who are getting the hots for Old Knight Shield: Remember that its durability is very low. Keep some repair powder or bracing knuckle ring.

I've used the King's Shield almost exclusively since I got it, 100% physical and some decent resistances iirc, I think fire is something like 85%-ish? It does look pretty too, the crest is nice and detailed. The only time I switch it is Shrine of Amana for the Silverblack which has mid/high 80s on both physical and magic.

Hey guys....if you are starving for more female voiced let's plays and tired of waiting for Kay and the PC version...check out Heart Cooks Brain....I love bathroom humour and she has some pretty creative editing ideas etc. We started recording together after chatting on Kay's chat ......her channel is really taking off ....check it!
Watched the first couple episodes, and enjoying it - had a couple of belly laughs from deaths/comments :)

jimi_dini

I just finished the Black Gulch myself...

And yes, there's a second bonfire if you hug the edge of the cliff. And if you have a torch...
you'll find two ledges that you can drop down to. One leads to an extra NPC that can help you with the boss (this is the only boss where you can have two NPCs help, I believe)... and the second! oh man... You fight two ancient giants and they drop some giant soul...

you will fight 4 in case you got 2 phantoms with you lol

Was pretty funny, I jumped
down the second one
and a Japanese player tried to follow me. I just saw him flying by and dead lol

Actually, need some help regarding my Pilgrims of Dark issue. So, beat the portal in the Black Gulch, but forgot to talk to the old dude outside of the portal when I got back out. Used Ancient Feather, went to some other places, then realized my bonehead move.

I go back, and he's talking like I didn't beat it and no reward. Sigh. So I go back into the portal. The fire inside is lit, so I kill all the guys and jump into the pit to warp back out. Talk to the guy again...and he's saying the same stuff that he did before I hopped back in. I'm guessing this may be a bug?

I'm going to try to leave the covenant, enter it again, and beat that level again. But dear lord, my Human Effigies are almost out.

Actually, need some help regarding my Pilgrims of Dark issue. So, beat the portal in the Black Gulch, but forgot to talk to the old dude outside of the portal when I got back out. Used Ancient Feather, went to some other places, then realized my bonehead move.

I go back, and he's talking like I didn't beat it and no reward. Sigh. So I go back into the portal. The fire inside is lit, so I kill all the guys and jump into the pit to warp back out. Talk to the guy again...and he's saying the same stuff that he did before I hopped back in. I'm guessing this may be a bug?

I'm going to try to leave the covenant, enter it again, and beat that level again. But dear lord, my Human Effigies are almost out.
I forget exactly what he says but I think you might be ok. Try
the other portals first and if it doesn't go accordingly then you know you need to do the BG one again, but I wouldn't think so.

Royal Rat Authority is one ugly boss. I didn't really find him all that hard as the wide swings of my Claymore easily took down his troublesome minions and after that it was easy to just stay under or behind him. I actually found Rat Vanguard to be more difficult.

But good lord, such an ugly creature. What is it even supposed to be? A giant rat or some kind of dog monstrosity?

Leezard

you get reward for
1. beating 1 dungeon
2. beating all 3
3. beating boss

Well I resolved the issue with my game ( was an initial save file) and proceeded.

What is with the bosses in this game? You lock-on, go straight, turn right, big swing by boss, boss miss big swing, player hit boss. Loop this pattern until they die. So weird and kind of boring.

Maybe I just got better at the game I guess. I'm in Iron keep and this pattern pretty much has persisted.

Mistel

Banned
To those people who are getting the hots for Old Knight Shield: Remember that its durability is very low. Keep some repair powder or bracing knuckle ring.
Minus that tiny detail it's got 20 durability the next best 100% normal shield is drakekeeper's and that's like a long way in.

I did a Mundane/Hex build and had a lot of fun with it, you can get a good selection of hexes at
20 Vig
20 Vit
20 Endurance
20 Attunement
25 Str
22 Dex
20 Adaptability
28 Int
25 Faith

I put more points into STR just for more options, but you could cut down on that to give you more Int and faith. That setup is around SL150-ish, can't really remember since i've levelled up since, but with Resonant weapon on a Mundane Santier's, the 2 handed R1 will absolutely wreck face if they're not expecting it.

Audioboxer

I recall you posting the progress on your str/fair build a while back. How did that one turn out? I'm curious at to what setup others are using for paladin/cleric builds.

Completed the game once, never progressed into NG+.

I ended up wanting to create a sorcerer and then see which character I wanted to take into NG+. Fell in love with hexes and that's what I went into NG+ with. Just trying to get a platinum now so continuing with this 2nd character all the way to NG++. It's just the 3 collect all trophies I'm missing.

Faith/Lightning is definitely awesome in DS2 though, a PVE beast and not shabby in PVP. I'd probably say INT/Hex could pip it for PVP overall though. WoTG is a beast mind you, but something like hex does give you multiple options (spells from all categories mixed with spices for one or two higher req ones).

I did a Mundane/Hex build and had a lot of fun with it, you can get a good selection of hexes at
20 Vig
20 Vit
20 Endurance
20 Attunement
25 Str
22 Dex
20 Adaptability
28 Int
25 Faith

I put more points into STR just for more options, but you could cut down on that to give you more Int and faith. That setup is around SL150-ish, can't really remember since i've levelled up since, but with Resonant weapon on a Mundane Santier's, the 2 handed R1 will absolutely wreck face if they're not expecting it.

I actually just specced to SL160 with similar to the above

22 VIG
20 END
20 VIT
25 ATN
25 STR
25 Dex
20 ADP
28 INT (+2 from black hood = 30)
28 FTH (+2 from black hood = 30)

Will see how I get on. Need to farm some twinkling.

E92 M3

Minus that tiny detail it's got 20 durability the next best 100% normal shield is drakekeeper's and that's like a long way in.

Drakekeeper's shield is awesome. Light weight, 100% physical, over 70% in others except dark. Also great stability for the weight class.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When does it become good? Like, a lot better than it currently is?

@The Last Giant atm.

maomaoIYP

Probably needs more testing, but the great hammers' jumping R2 attack seems to have ridiculous tracking.
I just tracked a dude mid air with a 180 degrees turn.

Top Bottom