• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Finally got the DLC, Sunken City area.... urgh. Really can't be bothered here, going straight to the other new area, at least it's prettier. First impressions (well second if you count watching German Spy's playthrough on YT), not good.

I did go in with eyes open though, I knew I probably wouldn't like it but had to get it because of.... Souls.

Ruuppa

EDIT: So what does the Iron King crown do? What's it good for? The Sunken King crown gave some +1s to ability scores but I didn't see a change when I tried on the helmet.

Wearing it passively recovers your spellcasts over time. It takes something like a couple of minutes for one tick of spellrecovery. Or more. It's pretty damn useful for a spellcaster regardless.

Can someone explain why Vendrick and Nashandra are giant? Like there really tall... like giants!

Warcraft sindrome, every important figure is bigger to impose their presence.

Wearing it passively recovers your spellcasts over time. It takes something like a couple of minutes for one tick of spellrecovery. Or more. It's pretty damn useful for a spellcaster regardless.

2 minutes cooldown....

Finally got the DLC, Sunken City area.... urgh. Really can't be bothered here, going straight to the other new area, at least it's prettier. First impressions (well second if you count watching German Spy's playthrough on YT), not good.

I did go in with eyes open though, I knew I probably wouldn't like it but had to get it because of.... Souls.

Its a nice place when you are descending the shirne but the first place is just hit switches and wander to find rings

v1perz53

2 minutes cooldown....

2 minutes for recovering one single use of each spell, or is it a percentage of total casts based on total number of casts of the spell? Seems like it would be reasonably useful for really low cast number spells either way, but useless for spells with a lot of casts unless it does a percentage or something.

Its a nice place when you are descending the shirne but the first place is just hit switches and wander to find rings

I actually prefer the early wandering and switch hitting to the
descent to Elana
. I hate more than anything in a souls game when my path forward completely removes my ability to go back, like jumping down a series of ledges. Makes it confusing and frustrating to explore the whole place unless there is a bonfire right at the start, then it just becomes tedious.

2 minutes for recovering one single use of each spell, or is it a percentage of total casts based on total number of casts of the spell? Seems like it would be reasonably useful for really low cast number spells either way, but useless for spells with a lot of casts unless it does a percentage or something.

I actually prefer the early wandering and switch hitting to the
descent to Elana
. I hate more than anything in a souls game when my path forward completely removes my ability to go back, like jumping down a series of ledges. Makes it confusing and frustrating to explore the whole place unless there is a bonfire right at the start, then it just becomes tedious.

It recovers all your available spells in your current inventory so its great for exploring and kinda bad for short spells uses.

I think you only need to hit one single switch to do that, the rest are dead ends and elevators.

SoldnerKei

cool, I was wearing it because Fashion Souls yesterday and then I heard the sound from time to time and I was wondering what the hell it was, I figured out that it had something to do with the crown but didn't know exactly what

torn apart between begin NG++ and advance till Winter Shrine for a true DLC experience or beat the map on NG+, iirc the next dlc is released on the 23th right? also do we have screenshots yet from the new DLC?

ilium

Been away for awhile, any info the last part of the dlc?

There is a non-specific list for all items floating around:

2 Boss souls
9 keys
6 rings
1 Hex
1 Miracle
1 Sorcery
1 Crown
1 Mask
4 complete armour sets
3 shields
1 twinblade
1 UGS
1 Curved GS
1 Greatbow
2 Sorcery Catalysts
1 fist weapon
1 lance
2 greatswords
1 curved sword
1 rapier
2 straightswords
1 dagger

Mistel

Banned
Been away for awhile, any info the last part of the dlc?
The crown in the picture is the ivory crown helm:
dsii_banner_dlc3y9bqj.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It would be nice to have a few human sized bosses in Bloodbourne or DkS 3 to throw people off and because why not?

That Soul Memory man... I don't want to go for a no-bonfire run until the DLC is out and I've beaten every boss and I've basically exhausted Bonfire Ascetics. I have 8 left and that's it. So I tried to do some PVP and went to Ironkeep and nothing. No summons. Went to Heide's Tower and no summons. Popped an effigy and tried invading and I seemed to have invaded the same 5-6 dudes and 2 of which summoned helpers. Couldn't beat any of them, I'd get close but I'd have low health or they'd get a lag stab from 10 feet away in the other direction. Tried out the Blue Sentinel Colosseum and had 2 duels, won one of them, but ran out of tokens of fidelity.

Just curious, what are the fastest weapons? Because I thought the Red Iron Twin Blade was up there but I don't know if it's lag or I suck but every single time I'd swing before they initiate an attack and their attack comes out first.

Still sucks whenever you hit a guy, you get the hit sound effect, but no they rolled out and received no damage...

Thinking of cheesing PVP with Havel build. With the insane stats I've invested in VIT and with Soldier's Ring +2 I can run the complete set minus shield and keep it in the 40% equip load range. What's a good weapon that goes with a Havel build?

Just curious, why do you want to wait till all the DLC is out before doing the no bonfire run? I guess it would be more challenging, but some areas int he DLC are annoying without the use of bonfires and some have no way back up so if you light a bonfire you're pretty much obligated to follow through.

Finished up Old Iron King this weekend. Another great DLC with cool maps and tough enemies. Brume Knight and Sir Alonne went down without too much problem but that's thanks to some pro-bros who worked together with me really well.

Can't wait for the next DLC! Until then I'll keep taking stabs at Ancient Dragon. God that breath weapon goes everywhere. I can never run away from it. That said I got him down to half health just by doing toe shots back and forth. It'll happen!

EDIT: So what does the Iron King crown do? What's it good for? The Sunken King crown gave some +1s to ability scores but I didn't see a change when I tried on the helmet.

When I first read that I was like how in the hell? I thought you soloed them and rekt them without much effort. I was about to feel terribad about my gaming abilities D:.

Ruuppa

It would be nice to have a few human sized bosses in Bloodbourne or DkS 3 to throw people off and because why not?

Human size bosses that aren't simple NPCs, like the Ganksquad. A normal size Artorias or something like that would be damn interesting.

Human-sized Father of Giants fight with unique moves and skills, plz From!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Its time for more failed rare drops. Going for the chaos rapier and chaos shield. I did manage to get the dragon sage hood though, so yay?

Mistel

Banned
Its time for more failed rare drops. Going for the chaos rapier and chaos shield. I did manage to get the dragon sage hood though, so yay?
You're going to have lots of fun with the dragon acolytes if your going for rare drops, that will drive you insane lol.

When i beat Iron King on NG+ a new room with snake like statue unlocked. That statue teleported me to another room, but a door in that room was closed and i couldnt do anything there. Any idea what that thing is?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
When i beat Iron King on NG+ a new room with snake like statue unlocked. That statue teleported me to another room, but a door in that room was closed and i couldnt do anything there. Any idea what that thing is?
This will happen in NG too. It's the DLC area. You need to pay $10 to unlock this new area. But if you want to see what it looks like without paying, drop a coop sign in the place with all the statues, and someone who's playing the DLC can summon you into their world.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This will happen in NG too. It's the DLC area. You need to pay $10 to unlock this new area. But if you want to see what it looks like without paying, drop a coop sign in the place with all the statues, and someone who's playing the DLC can summon you into their world.

Wow really?

Wow really?

Yup it's a nice feature. That's why when the DLC gets released you have such large updates to download. Rather than you buying the DLC and it downloading, you download it and if you do decide to buy the DLC it unlocks for you and you can play it right away. Also that way people without the DLC can still be summoned and help people that do have the DLC. It's kind of like a demo, lets you try it before buying it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, it's weird, I knew about this "tryout" feature but I wasn't sure how it worked. I also wondered what was up with those areas with all the statues... then I finally connected the two, haha. The sign on the floor "being channelled from someone far away" should have been a good indication, but I was still slow to figure it out.

Dyno

Wow this is amazing! I'll test it an see how long it takes me to get a Soul Geyser back!

Thanks!

Dyno

When I first read that I was like how in the hell? I thought you soloed them and rekt them without much effort. I was about to feel terribad about my gaming abilities D:.

Oh I am not proud man. If I see some symbols then the honourable Sir Alonne is gonna get ganked. He deserves better but I'm a knave.

That said I soloed Smelter Blue who had been boosted because I summoned an ally who scrubed out before getting to the fog gate. That's probably my greatest accomplishment in this game.

Oh I am not proud man. If I see some symbols then the honourable Sir Alonne is gonna get ganked. He deserves better but I'm a knave.

That said I soloed Smelter Blue who had been boosted because I summoned an ally who scrubed out before getting to the fog gate. That's probably my greatest accomplishment in this game.

I wish I was like that. I feel scrubby hen I summon help for a boss that I have yet to solo. I like soloing all bosses at least once, after that summoning help is ok. But for fume...that guy was horrendous, he gave me freaking nightmares.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wonder, can you drop DLC equipment? What would happen if I dropped the Drakeblood armour, for instance, to someone who didn't buy the DLC? Could they still use it?

Mistel

Banned
I wonder, can you drop DLC equipment? What would happen if I dropped the Drakeblood armour, for instance, to someone who didn't buy the DLC? Could they still use it?
Based on the fact you can get dlc equipment from cave of the dead as a phantom without owning the dlc I don't see why not.

Yes, since the compabitility patch is mandatory. the DLC is not locked but reachable so you can use all the DLC armor without restrictions.

Maybe FROM dont know how to disable DLC content or make them available to use if you purchased the DLC as Borderlands.

Yes, since the compabitility patch is mandatory. the DLC is not locked but reachable so you can use all the DLC armor without restrictions.

Maybe FROM dont know how to disable DLC content or make them available to use if you purchased the DLC as Borderlands.

But you do have the DLC in Dark Souls 2. You just don't have the one item needed to access it. You still downloaded everything even if you don't have the DLC, so I think it would be a bit harder to lock out specific content due to that. I could be wrong though.

But you do have the DLC in Dark Souls 2. You just don't have the one item needed to access it. You still downloaded everything even if you don't have the DLC, so I think it would be a bit harder to lock out specific content due to that. I could be wrong though.

Yep it would be harder to lock that but there are games that let you have the items but you cant use them unless your purchase the DLC.

ElTopo

Banned
Just curious, why do you want to wait till all the DLC is out before doing the no bonfire run? I guess it would be more challenging, but some areas int he DLC are annoying without the use of bonfires and some have no way back up so if you light a bonfire you're pretty much obligated to follow through.

I don't want to re-unlock everything just to access the 3rd DLC.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You're gonna love it :p. Ultra rare equipment only dropped by 3 eneimes in the whole game. The 4th is a phantom who drops a greatsword if you're lucky.

The tryout areas represent the challenge areas of the dlc more or less the purely optional areas.

Yeah I'm there now. A bazillion things drop off the drakekeepers and then there are those three dragon warriors. I did get the warpick already. Didnt get the great sword off the phantom which really hurt cause im bad at pvp and my mace doesnt really work too great in it so I doubt I'll ever get the black dragon great sword. Also managed to get one drop so far off the priestess and it was the piece I already had. Oh and she drops an exclusive shield. Fuck the B Team, please go back to design school.

Yeah I'm there now. A bazillion things drop off the drakekeepers and then there are those three dragon warriors. I did get the warpick already. Didnt get the great sword off the phantom which really hurt cause im bad at pvp and my mace doesnt really work too great in it so I doubt I'll ever get the black dragon great sword. Also managed to get one drop so far off the priestess and it was the piece I already had. Oh and she drops an exclusive shield. Fuck the B Team, please go back to design school.

I dont understand the inclusion of ascetics but it make sense since they make the enemies despawn to lower the farm actities yet they added ascetics to increase farm activities and dont go to NG+ to get NG+ items, because logic.

I dont understand the inclusion of ascetics but it make sense since they make the enemies despawn to lower the farm actities yet they added ascetics to increase farm activities and dont go to NG+ to get NG+ items, because logic.

Well ascetics only give some NG+ items. Some things you need to actually BE in NG+ or NG++ to get. For example,
the ghost at Drangleic Castle gives you all the rank items from BoB and Invader Police in NG++
I think they did ascetics because they know some things are super rare drops, and they want to help you get it, while maintaining their despawn while also not forcing you to go into a NG+ and onward. I think they did the despawn more to help makes areas much less tedious(if you beat an enemy 15 times pretty safe to say you an take em on, they just become tedious and annoying). It's better for them to clusterfuck an area but let the enemies despawn after enough deaths, than it is to have few enemies that spawn eternally, at least, in Froms mind. Places like Shrine of Amana are just clusterfucks and annoying.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well ascetics only give some NG+ items. Some things you need to actually BE in NG+ or NG++ to get. For example,
the ghost at Drangleic Castle gives you all the rank items from BoB and Invader Police in NG++
I think they did ascetics because they know some things are super rare drops, and they want to help you get it, while maintaining their despawn while also not forcing you to go into a NG+ and onward. I think they did the despawn more to help makes areas much less tedious(if you beat an enemy 15 times pretty safe to say you an take em on, they just become tedious and annoying). It's better for them to clusterfuck an area but let the enemies despawn after enough deaths, than it is to have few enemies that spawn eternally, at least, in Froms mind. Places like Shrine of Amana are just clusterfucks and annoying.

No please, let the guys in Amana keep spawning. I need my twinkling and old radiant gems.

I wish areas like Dragon Aerie were longer. Maybe I'm forgetting but I felt like areas in Demon and Dark 1 lasted much longer than the ones in 2 do.

No please, let the guys in Amana keep spawning. I need my twinkling and old radiant gems.

If they replaced the casters with the melee dudes I'd be content. However, having multiple homing soul arrows follow me around the entirety of earth is annoying. Having one is fine, having two or three is annoying. They do drop twinkling though, so I guess they have some use.

Human size bosses that aren't simple NPCs, like the Ganksquad. A normal size Artorias or something like that would be damn interesting.

Human-sized Father of Giants fight with unique moves and skills, plz From!

The problem with NPCs is their stupidly broken A.I that roll-cancels everything.

Zocano

So I'm never getting it. =P

Also is the parrying dagger the best off hand for parrying?

Get a Greatsword +10, forgo a shield, and just use the 1-hand R1 attack. You'll get kills enough in PVP because of dumb range.

I mean I'm not *terrible* at PVP but I wouldn't say I'm good at it. An evening of PVP matches on Iron Keep bridge got me to Rank 2 for that sweet as fuck Black Dragon Armor.

Luckily I got the Black Dragon Sword as a drop :x

I wish areas like Dragon Aerie were longer. Maybe I'm forgetting but I felt like areas in Demon and Dark 1 lasted much longer than the ones in 2 do.

Also, yah, the definite overall approach to Dark Souls 2 felt like "more more more". Lots of areas, lots of items, lots of everything.

Which is probably my only real complaint of the game (because it was to the detriment of the quality of most things it affected).

You got more "eh" bosses, more items that all just felt the same, more healing items, more bonfires, and more areas which in turn ended up smaller and smaller.

I think the main part is that it's hard to delineate certain areas, though. Like do you consider all of Shaded Woods one area? I think the numerous bonfires end up hurting the "feel" of the length of areas. The larger areas still feel small because of how the bonfires cut them up. Even when Tseldora, Shaded Woods, Drangleic, Gutter, Lost Bastille, Iron Keep, Earthen Keep are all fairly sizeable areas and still measure up to the other games.

Like Anor Londo really isn't *that* big when you know where you're going, just like every other area in every game. A lot of areas in Dark Souls 1 definitely feel like that. The forest area (forgot the name) is actually suuuuuuper tiny when you consider it as just two big circles with not much really in it. You can run through that area in like a minute flat.

The big areas from Dark Souls 2 definitely size up with the ones from Dark Souls 1, yah, but it's got far more "short" areas to it as well.

Dragon Aerie, Black Gulch, Dragon Shrine, Aldia's Keep, for example, are all suuuuper tiny areas. Black Gulch is actually my favorite of the ones I listed but Aldia's Keep is also really cool even if it's structurally very plain.

I really woulda liked to see how the full game looked with the first lightining engine because I bet a lot of the complaints people have for certain areas that actually have good level design (Gutter, Tseldora, Earthen Keep) would go away if they couldn't notice the less-than-good texture quality. If Dark Souls 1 didn't have that silly ass bloom over everything, a lot of those areas would look like ass. The only time I ever felt the level architecture made it pretty was Anor Londo and even then the castle-proper area is really bland (vs. the scaffolding climbing which is really neat).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hey why the hell is the Greatsword in these games never actually a greatsword but an ultra greatsword? I call that false advertising.

Also how is the drakekeeper sword?

Zocano

Looked at the stats and shtuff for the Drakekeeper's Sword and at +10 I'm doing more than the Sun Sword even against its A/A/-/- Scaling. It's about the same speed but I like the moveset of the Sun Sword a lot more. The Red Rust Sword +5 which is slightly stronger is actually siginificantly slower than the Drakekeeper's.

I'd say it's probably one of the stronger straight swords even against good scalings. It's just got a very plain moveset (all horizontal swipes).

Heide Knight Sword is still probably my favorite straight sword (I like the moveset even if it might not be the most effective moveset). Sun Sword would be the next would since I think it has the strongest moveset.

edit: Also it's hard to say but I think the Drakekeeper's might be the longest of the straight swords? Though that's super hard to tell.

2AdEPT

Really nice ring, but goddamn annoying to get. Getting it is nigh on impossible without farming using Ascetics.

What was it, 50 Awestones? And you can only get around 10, maybe 20 with the DLCs and playing offline, from NPC invaders throughout the whole game. Getting them from normal enemies at 0.1% droprate is a fresh kind of hell.

Althoguh Vageta 311 beat me to the punch so to speak..when PC came out I switched to doing videos of my vanquisher seal run...I got a good strat down using GRS and scarps of life...only took me a few hours once I had the ascetics.

Yeah dont let anyone tell you vanquisher seal fists only isnt OP...Sure I learned the attacks, but pretty hard to do a no no on pursuer and sinner without that damage!

Mistel

Banned
edit: Also it's hard to say but I think the Drakekeeper's might be the longest of the straight swords? Though that's super hard to tell.
It is the longest of the straight swords, that's what makes it much more useful. It's one of the more practical straight swords. Sun sword ain't really all its cracked up to be really.

Which is longer, uchigatana or blacksteel katana? I actually find them nearly equal in size.

I felt enhanced Uchi would be better than enhanced blacksteel in terms of DPS

Top Bottom