• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

ElTopo

Banned
first rough patch translation from reddit

And still no fix for hitboxes. Wow.

The first time I really noticed this problem (I don't PVP very much) was against Blue Smelter. I had my Greatshield up, plenty of Stamina, well within equip load guidelines to quickly block, and at least 4 times his attack went right through my shield. Specifically Blue Smetler. And I'm not talking about chip damage, my back was not to him, it was not the jumping plunge attack, a regular swing of his sword went through my shield that was fully up.

4 fucking times....

Was looking at some armor sets and this one is awesome.

havel-s-set-large.jpg

Looks boss.

Haha. Havel's Armor. That's quite OP too.

I customized my appearance picking up armors pieces from different sets. I like this combo for male char :)

Falconer helm
Faraam armor
Farram granulets
Alonne knights leggings

Mistel

Banned
I really hate how miracles were nerfed in the last update. I used to carry a chime with me for a quick heal and a lightning spell but had to exchange it for some sorcery and a great homing arrow for the quick ranged option.
The damage and cast nerf was needed to balance out the disparity between melee and miracles even now they're still quite powerful.
And still no fix for hitboxes. Wow.
Considering how many are actually broken I doubt they'd fix them all.

ElFly

Oscar in ds1 was probably cut because it would have been hard to make an after gwyn fight worth shit

If you think about it, it would have made Oscar the real final boss, and they already had problems delivering a decent gwyn fight

Zocano

I wonder how extensive the hitbox issues are. I'm very sure they're aware of them but I get the feeling it's much more than just solely adjusting some bounding boxes. It's probably tied a lot to how they messed with iframes, too. Which... would make things really weird to try and mess with.

Several common hit box issue gifs that people throw around come off as "yah you got hit but the animation jutter just makes it look really weird". Specifically the rolling away from Pursuer Curse Stab gif that gets tossed around.

I think there is a similar issue with the overhead slams that happens a lot. But those are much less... easy to just take in stride.

I think there is a big tie in to adapatability/changing iframe rolls.

Also PVP "hit box" issues will always be terrible because lag. Until this game gets butter smooth and amazing net code, washingpole.pvp will reign true. The game needs fighting game standard netcode, not silly as fuck MMO netcode.

ElTopo

Banned
I wonder how extensive the hitbox issues are. I'm very sure they're aware of them but I get the feeling it's much more than just solely adjusting some bounding boxes. It's probably tied a lot to how they messed with iframes, too. Which... would make things really weird to try and mess with.

I don't think it's iframes or at least it doesn't apply in my case. My shield was fully up (Havel's Shield enchanted with Magic), I had plenty of Stamina, I was in maybe 50% equip load, and on 4 different occasions Blue Smelter's sword went right through the shield... Red Smelter never gave me that problem.

I'd love to see rollback netcode but Japanese devs are notorious about avoiding rollback netcode and stick to delay-based netcode.

Mistel

Banned
I know, but unlike the Rusted Mastadon set this one is as heavy as the regular version, so I feel it's pointless gameplay-wise.
It is sort of but unlike mastodons where one sort is hollow the other ain't, the old iron clads aren't exactly the same as that. Gameplay wise it's a heavy set of armor provided early on which is easily farm able so it does serve its purpose allthough relatively minor.

Horns

In that case never mind. Thought there was one at release.

If you had to buy one DLC of the two released, which one would you suggest getting?

v1perz53

Ok, so I am at the point on my Faith build character where I have all the Vigr/Vit/End I really feel like I need (Flynn's ring character, so only 10 vit), and I am pretty set on Attunement and Adp. So that leaves only the damage stats to raise. Currently 50 Faith, 40 str 40 dex.

What would give me the most bang for my buck to raise at this point to boost my damage? I kind of switch between weapons a lot, but I would say my main weapons are the lightning Blue Knight Halberd and lightning Bow of Want. Not sure if I would be best served raising dex or faith, or if it is worth it going to 50/50 str/dex for whatever scaling I can get out of the halberd.

Or does it just not matter much at this point at all? My int is still base, and I have no interest in sorceries, hexes, or pyromancies on this character at all, I have separate characters for those.

Ok, so I am at the point on my Faith build character where I have all the Vigr/Vit/End I really feel like I need (Flynn's ring character, so only 10 vit), and I am pretty set on Attunement and Adp. So that leaves only the damage stats to raise. Currently 50 Faith, 40 str 40 dex.

What would give me the most bang for my buck to raise at this point to boost my damage? I kind of switch between weapons a lot, but I would say my main weapons are the lightning Blue Knight Halberd and lightning Bow of Want. Not sure if I would be best served raising dex or faith, or if it is worth it going to 50/50 str/dex for whatever scaling I can get out of the halberd.

Or does it just not matter much at this point at all? My int is still base, and I have no interest in sorceries, hexes, or pyromancies on this character at all, I have separate characters for those.

I think you are already done with your faith stats, Its time to invest in Health, Adap, Endurance or maybe put some points on Int for some utility spells.

I invested like 70 points of int in my mage, before resetting to have a little equip load and health.

Zocano

If you had to buy one DLC of the two released, which one would you suggest getting?

DLC 1 has probably the best level design from the Dark Souls games with one really good boss, one okay boss, and one boss you'll probably think is poop.

DLC 2 has decent level design that's on par with the better levels from the two Dark Souls games, but an incredibly strong boss gallery.

So... up to you? I'd say Sunken Crown cause level design >>>> boss design and the level is actually super creative and feels like it had more thought to it than most Dark Souls levels.

Speaking of which...

you know. I really liked Artorias of the Abyss' Boss Gallery. It was really good. It gave Dark Souls 1 some amazing god damn bosses that it really needed (because I thought the core game's bosses were generally really blegh/poop/boring/blobs/etc.)

But that level design just felt more run-of-the-mill shit rather than anything really good (specifically to Dark Souls 1) like Blighttown, Painted World, or Anor Londo, and certainly not the top-tier Sen's Fortress. Just more big open areas with nothing much in them and then corridors with tiny branches every now and then (Oolacile Forest place, then Township proper).

Like, this is where I have my huge raging hard on for Demon's Souls. Because Demon's Souls' levels actually make you do stuff other than just wade through enemies. Or at least the big all-stars from Demon's Souls (very specifically 2-2 and 3-1). Latria 1 is god damn amazing in not just atmosphere but actual necessary exploration. Having to figure your way through the prison was great and more than just following a straight ass path through nothing much at all. Then Stonefang 2 is god damn amazing cave claustrophobic goodness. Near end-less winding maze caverns are great for the series. Then pretty much every other level was just really dense and intricate much like most of the better levels in Dark Souls 1/2.

Like... Oolacile/Darkroot Garden is the most boring shit to me. I hate wide open areas in these games because they just don't do anything. There's so little tension to them.

This is why everyone loved Sen's and why I love the ever loving shit out of Sunken Crown. Cause god damn are those two places the best areas in the Dark Souls DLCs. More than just wading through mobs but actually you having to challenge your environment in some interesting way. Having to think about it even remotely. And not just in a "oh now you take damage constantly through this whole area!" or "now you have to walk really slowly!" There's more to Sen's and Sunken Crown Area.

God damn I love the Sunken Crown DLC.

Mistel

Banned

If you really want more damage I'd suggest getting a mastodon halberd and infusing that with lightning although it's a bit of a physical damage drop it has B STR scaling instead it will get more mileage instead of relying on DEX scaling which is weaker. Lightning clutch ring would help boost your damage.
Its supossed to be the same armor carved of stone, dunno why its more shinnier in DS2
Havel also has T45 power armor shoulders now too.

The second one I found more enjoyable. The first is alright but its let down by the areas, enemies, and boss placement as a whole.

Crown of the Ivory King coming out this week! I'm excited. If it's as good as the two previous pieces, than the Season Pass will have been well worth it. Actually, I loved Crown of the Sunken King and Crown of the Old Iron King enough that the Season Pass was already worth it, so Crown of the Ivory King will almost just be a bonus for me.

That's always fun. Did you use Chameleon or a Silver Talisman?
I got the Season pass for $20, so the first two are already paid heh, the third id basically free. I hope the third DLC mixes the first two DLCs, amazing level design of the first one, with the amazing boss fights of the second(minus fookin blue smelter fsugysfgrsagfy8shgfyuasgy).

Goddamn so many weapons I want use dragon bones and so many helmets I want to fashion souls with use twinkling. Curse you, From.

Also Alonne Knight best knight. And I keep wrecking people on the bridge with the bandit's axe. I dont think some of them have seen someone use a light axe.

You can farm Twinkling at Shrine of Amana, and you can get a buttload of petrified dragon bones from the first DLC.

It looks like Eurogamer is reporting that Ivory King has been delayed to the 30th. That's too bad.

NOOOOOOOO

I was looking forward to it :( today is truly a sad day.

aww, was hoping to play this week :/

then again, i have an university exam on oct. 1st so thanks FROM for giving me more time to learn...

patch notes are avaible as well, but i haven't seen a translation yet.

I never really got studying down personally. I just went to all my classes, which I guess helped, but studying I could never do :/.

Was looking at some armor sets and this one is awesome.

havel-s-set-large.jpg

Looks boss.

Don't you dare! Pull back! Pull back!

Oscar in ds1 was probably cut because it would have been hard to make an after gwyn fight worth shit

If you think about it, it would have made Oscar the real final boss, and they already had problems delivering a decent gwyn fight

Well, it would have been nice to know there was someone that was secretly plotting against you, trying to succeed where he thought you failed. It also would make you question your decision a lot more, in my opinion. The reason Gwyn was a terrible fight was because you could parry him(I want to know who had the bright idea of trying to parry him first, or was it announced by the devs?). Having a 1 on 1 battle with Gwyn with no parries is difficult to say the least.

The first one had really good level design and had some puzzles that you needed to figure out to continue. One of the bosses was such a magnificent and well done fight, personally. The second one has a more annoying kind of layout, but two of the three bosses are really magnificent. Each DLC also has rings that are really useful, armour that is INFINITELY useful, and weapons that I know nothing about it...Storm, your take on the weapons :p?

Firefire updated their patch notes, here it is:

We would like to thank everyone for your patronage and support of Dark Souls II. The third DLC in The Lost Crowns trilogy, “Crown of the Ivory King,” will be released on September 30th. This message is to inform all users of the refinements to gameplay that will be made with the next Version and Calibrations update.

Update Schedule:
The online server will go into Maintenance Mode on Monday, September 29th following this schedule:

- PlayStation3, STEAM, and Xbox 360 all platforms
9/29 7:00 to 10:00AM GMT

When the online server goes back online, all Versions and Calibrations will be updated. Once users have downloaded and installed the updates, you will see the following displayed in the upper right corner of the Title Screen:

- PlayStation3 & Xbox 360
Ver. 1.08
Calibrations 1.11

- STEAM
Ver. 1.06
Calibrations 1.11

Keep in mind that the Version numbers for STEAM and the PlayStation3/Xbox 360 differ, but that the content of the games is equivalent.

The following fixes, changes, and refinements are included in the update:
・Fixed the issue where the soul of Nadalia cannot be acquired at the Brume Tower, after defeating the Ashen Warrior (If the Ashen Warrior is already defeated and all the Souls of Nadalia are in possession, it is automatically acquired.)
・A new exchange weapon is added to the shop line up after defeating the Smelter Demon at the Brume Tower
・Fixed the issue where the tower mechanism could not be re-triggered if the player dies after triggering it by using the Scorching Iron Scepter at the Brume Tower.
・Fixed the issue where the NPC the user can summon to battle against Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon (Shulva, Sanctum City) stops moving.
・Addressed the issue whereby users were unable to proceed when the enemies stop appearing at the entrance of Drangleic Castle
・Fixed the issue where the Ancient Dragon disappears when returning to the user’s own world after being summoned to co-op play at the Dragon Shrine
・Fixed the issue where the player becomes an enemy of the Ancient Dragon when returning to their own world after being summoned during the battle with the Ancient Dragon at the Dragon Shrine
・Fixed the issue where the player stops moving or being hit by attacks after using “Darkstorm” at the Shrine of Amana against Amana Priestess
・Fixed the issue whereby the elevator stops working in Drangleic Castle during online play
・Fixed the issue in online play where the game stops during the battle against “The Imperfect” in Shulva, Sanctum City if the host leaves.
・Fixed the issue in online play where parrying the enemy attack becomes impossible.
・Fixed the issue in online play where the player stays collapsed without damage when attacked by the enemy from behind.
・Fixed the issue in online play where the spell triggering time used by other players don’t synchronize.
・Fixed the issue in online play where the wet conditions don’t match.
・Fixed the issue where the player can’t move by summoning or invading at the connection area between Drangleic Castle and Shrine of Amana.
・Fixed the issue where the player can’t move by summoning or invading at the connection area between Huntsman’s Copse and Harvest Valley.
・Fixed the issue where there is no hit judgment at the end of the strong attack 1st swing of the two-handed weapon, “Great Scythe”.
・Fixed the issue whereby player’s status for certain attributes went up when they equipped items that change those status
・Fixed the issue where the character’s hair becomes invisible when wearing the armor, “Penal Straightjacket”.
・Fixed the issue where there is no difference in the stamina consummation amounts between one-handed and two-handed when guarding the enemy’s attack with the weapon, “Shield Crossbow”.
・Fixed the issue where the motion becomes one-handed dash attack when the player triggers the two-handed dash attack from the back step with “Bandit Greataxe”, “Lion Greataxe”, “Gyrm Greataxe”, “Black Dragon Greataxe”.
・Fixed the issue where the weapon, “Bewitched Alonne Sword” isn’t in the line up from the beginning when playing 2nd time through and beyond.
・Fixed the issue where the cross is displayed divided when equipped with the armor “Prisoner’s Tatters”.
・Fixed the issue where the rolling attack becomes the dash attack if the R1 and X buttons are pressed at the same time immediately after rolling.

Adjustments that will be made with Calibrations 1.11 (all following changes):
・Adjusted down the attack power correction value when the transformation enforcement to mundane is performed using the weapons, “Dagger”, “Parrying Dagger”, “Bandit's Knife”, “Shadow Dagger”, “Thief Dagger”, “Broken Thief Sword”, “Manikin Knife”, “Royal Dirk”, “Mytha's Bent Blade”, “Black Flamestone Dagger”, and “Blue Dagger”.
・Adjusted down the amount of time a parry is accepted when Small or Normal Shields are held two-handed.
・Additional explosion effect for the two-sword both-handed strong attack of the weapon “Smelter Sword”
・Fixed abnormal amounts of damage being caused by certain weapons

Guess it is confirmed that it will be delayed :/

That's not a concern, given that the dev also made the last "boss" fight in Demon's Souls basically impossible to lose.

Well, it would have been nice to know there was someone that was secretly plotting against you, trying to succeed where he thought you failed. It also would make you question your decision a lot more, in my opinion. The reason Gwyn was a terrible fight was because you could parry him(I want to know who had the bright idea of trying to parry him first, or was it announced by the devs?). Having a 1 on 1 battle with Gwyn with no parries is difficult to say the least.

I fought Gwyn blind at release, killed him on first try. Fight started, he started swinging his greatsword around and i went "waitasec, that moveset seems familiar...maybe i could...let's try.. OH FUCK THAT'S AWESOME" and parrystabbed him to death.

Tbh it was awesome as fuck at the time. If you go in knowing that you can do it, yeah, the impact is severely decreased. Way i looked at it, the devs decided to reward those that truly paid attention to melee combat.

v1perz53

If you really want more damage I'd suggest getting a mastodon halberd and infusing that with lightning although it's a bit of a physical damage drop it has B STR scaling instead it will get more mileage instead of relying on DEX scaling which is weaker. Lightning clutch ring would help boost your damage.

I'll give the Mastadon Halberd a shot, though not sure if I have extra weight for it since it is a 10 vit Flynn's Ring character. I kept forgetting it existed. Lightning Clutch actually didn't boost damage as much as I expected, both RoB +2 and Flynn gave me more melee/bow damage even with infused weapons, and I actually don't use Lightning Spears that much anymore, but I will try it out again to see. I think I have a free ring slot, so why not use all 3 I guess.

ilium

You can farm Twinkling at Shrine of Amana, and you can get a buttload of petrified dragon bones from the first DLC.

There is also an easy farm route for 3x TT and 3x PDB in the sunken king DLC.

I never really got studying down personally. I just went to all my classes, which I guess helped, but studying I could never do :/.

that doesn't work for me sadly. too much mandatory literature I have to read in order to answer specific questions about said literature on top of regular questions. and it's so much to read, sometimes i just feel a bit overwhelmed :\

which reminds me to finish the text i started today. ugh.

that doesn't work for me sadly. too much mandatory literature I have to read in order to answer specific questions about said literature on top of regular questions. and it's so much to read, sometimes i just feel a bit overwhelmed :\

which reminds me to finish the text i started today. ugh.

Depending on the subject reading wasn't too bad. I did business so there wasn't too much reading that had to be done, but when there was ugh it was dull. I don't blame them though, you can't really making it very interesting in text. What are you studying, if you don't mind my questioning :p?

That's not a concern, given that the dev also made the last "boss" fight in Demon's Souls basically impossible to lose.

I fought Gwyn blind at release, killed him on first try. Fight started, he started swinging his greatsword around and i went "waitasec, that moveset seems familiar...maybe i could...let's try.. OH FUCK THAT'S AWESOME" and parrystabbed him to death.

Tbh it was awesome as fuck at the time. If you go in knowing that you can do it, yeah, the impact is severely decreased. Way i looked at it, the devs decided to reward those that truly paid attention to melee combat.

Yeah my friend told me about it which kinda made me disappoint. He did also tell me
that it restarts into NG+ right away
, so that was helpful.

Mistel

Banned
I'll give the Mastadon Halberd a shot, though not sure if I have extra weight for it since it is a 10 vit Flynn's Ring character. I kept forgetting it existed. Lightning Clutch actually didn't boost damage as much as I expected, both RoB +2 and Flynn gave me more melee/bow damage even with infused weapons, and I actually don't use Lightning Spears that much anymore, but I will try it out again to see. I think I have a free ring slot, so why not use all 3 I guess.
Yeah that's because it depend how the infusion is as the blue knight halberd is heavily physically skewed when its infused with lightning. You get an extra 9 AR with it lol. The lightning bow of want gets 45 AR in comparison. A lighting mastodon halberd will get a higher bonus from the lightning clutch ring of 15 AR.
Storm, your take on the weapons :p?
First one is blown out of the water by those in the second. Other than a few in sunken they're aren't great. Iron king has more variety and more useful weapons a a fair bit of variety.

DLC 1 has probably the best level design from the Dark Souls games with one really good boss, one okay boss, and one boss you'll probably think is poop.

DLC 2 has decent level design that's on par with the better levels from the two Dark Souls games, but an incredibly strong boss gallery.

So... up to you? I'd say Sunken Crown cause level design >>>> boss design and the level is actually super creative and feels like it had more thought to it than most Dark Souls levels.

Speaking of which...

you know. I really liked Artorias of the Abyss' Boss Gallery. It was really good. It gave Dark Souls 1 some amazing god damn bosses that it really needed (because I thought the core game's bosses were generally really blegh/poop/boring/blobs/etc.)

But that level design just felt more run-of-the-mill shit rather than anything really good (specifically to Dark Souls 1) like Blighttown, Painted World, or Anor Londo, and certainly not the top-tier Sen's Fortress. Just more big open areas with nothing much in them and then corridors with tiny branches every now and then (Oolacile Forest place, then Township proper).

Like, this is where I have my huge raging hard on for Demon's Souls. Because Demon's Souls' levels actually make you do stuff other than just wade through enemies. Or at least the big all-stars from Demon's Souls (very specifically 2-2 and 3-1). Latria 1 is god damn amazing in not just atmosphere but actual necessary exploration. Having to figure your way through the prison was great and more than just following a straight ass path through nothing much at all. Then Stonefang 2 is god damn amazing cave claustrophobic goodness. Near end-less winding maze caverns are great for the series. Then pretty much every other level was just really dense and intricate much like most of the better levels in Dark Souls 1/2.

Like... Oolacile/Darkroot Garden is the most boring shit to me. I hate wide open areas in these games because they just don't do anything. There's so little tension to them.

This is why everyone loved Sen's and why I love the ever loving shit out of Sunken Crown. Cause god damn are those two places the best areas in the Dark Souls DLCs. More than just wading through mobs but actually you having to challenge your environment in some interesting way. Having to think about it even remotely. And not just in a "oh now you take damage constantly through this whole area!" or "now you have to walk really slowly!" There's more to Sen's and Sunken Crown Area.

God damn I love the Sunken Crown DLC.

Oolacile garden place it was just a garden, you fight corrupted gardeners with golems I dont know what you were expecting.

Exploration is not about killing things, thats why I dont like the Iron King and its corridors with enemies just to not let wide areas being empty they just pust enemies just jump out the ash to not let you go out of the "tension".

ilium

Exploration (...)

speaking of exploration... i have to say, i enjoy exploring the world a lot more than the boss fights. the bosses sometimes feel like a chore to me and i usually just cheese them with summons. i just love wandering around soaking in the atmosphere looking at every nook and cranny.
i guess that's why i loved sunken king DLC so much. level felt like it was ripped straight out of a D&D campaign heh.

Depending on the subject reading wasn't too bad. I did business so there wasn't too much reading that had to be done, but when there was ugh it was dull. I don't blame them though, you can't really making it very interesting in text. What are you studying, if you don't mind my questioning :p?

cultural & social anthropology...

doesn't help that a lot of the literature is in english. english isn't my native language, but i have no problem reading english novels. academic literature is a bit more difficult to swallow. especially if it sounds like math...

"A member of Z2 tertiary division of tribe B sees himself as a member of Z2 community in relation to Z1, but he regards himself as a member of Y2 and not of Z2 in relation to Y1. Likewise, he regards himself as a member of Y, and not of Y2, in relation to X. He regards himself as a member of tribe B, and not of its primary section Y, in relation to tribe A."

wat8hpwy.jpeg

i already zoned out at Z2 ._.

Yeah that's because it depend how the infusion is as the blue knight halberd is heavily physically skewed when its infused with lightning. You get an extra 9 AR with it lol. The lightning bow of want gets 45 AR in comparison. A lighting mastodon halberd will get a higher bonus from the lightning clutch ring of 15 AR.

First one is blown out of the water by those in the second. Other than a few in sunken they're aren't great. Iron king has more variety and more useful weapons a a fair bit of variety.

I liked the puzzle sword in the first one, that one is pretty neat. I wish they made the power-stance do a whip though. The problem with me is when I find a weapon I like I hardly deviate from it. KUGS and RITB are like the only two weapons I've used a lot so far D:.

speaking of exploration... i have to say, i enjoy exploring the world a lot more than the boss fights. the bosses sometimes feel like a chore to me and i usually just cheese them with summons. i just love wandering around soaking in the atmosphere looking at every nook and cranny.
i guess that's why i loved sunken king DLC so much. level felt like it was ripped straight out of a D&D campaign heh.

cultural & social anthropology...

doesn't help that a lot of the literature is in english. english isn't my native language, but i have no problem reading english novels. academic literature is a bit more difficult to swallow. especially if it sounds like math...

"A member of Z2 tertiary division of tribe B sees himself as a member of Z2 community in relation to Z1, but he regards himself as a member of Y2 and not of Z2 in relation to Y1. Likewise, he regards himself as a member of Y, and not of Y2, in relation to X. He regards himself as a member of tribe B, and not of its primary section Y, in relation to tribe A."

wat8hpwy.jpeg

i already zoned out at Z2 ._.

I love exploration too, I do enjoy some boss fights like Fume and such, but other than that exploration is really fun. Which is why it took me roughly 90hours to beat it on my blind playthrough, and to be honest I got a lot of stuff, I didn't miss too many items which I'm pretty proud of :3.

I...I don't even. This guy seems to be highly confused about himself and his status.

ElFly

Yeeeeah but there's a lore reason for it being easy. Lorewise, Oscar would have had to be your equal and I see no reason for him to be reduced to a pathetic state like the real final boss in demon.

They would basically have had to program a super good red phantom AI, or go the Demon way and give it a lot of HP.

chunk3rvd

If I kill Sir Allone can I still enter his memory again to try and farm the knights for the BSK? Also - any confirmation on what the weapons you can buy after killing Blue Smelter are? If it is the reskins that would be great as it means I don't even need to waste my time farming!

Yeeeeah but there's a lore reason for it being easy. Lorewise, Oscar would have had to be your equal and I see no reason for him to be reduced to a pathetic state like the real final boss in demon.

They would basically have had to program a super good red phantom AI, or go the Demon way and give it a lot of HP.

Not quite. He aint the chosen undead, so he'd always be inferior. Also parriable.

Either way, the point stands, they are okay with putting a weaker lore boss at the very end of the game, for poetic reasons.

From being from, oscar would be a roll cancelling asshat.

Mistel

Banned
I liked the puzzle sword in the first one, that one is pretty neat. I wish they made the power-stance do a whip though. The problem with me is when I find a weapon I like I hardly deviate from it. KUGS and RITB are like the only two weapons I've used a lot so far D:.
It's a interesting concept but rather gimmicky straight sword with rather low base damage and high scaling for DEX and low requirements being its only saving grace really. At 40 across the board you only out damage the broken straight sword. By a fair margin but still.

v1perz53

Not quite. He aint the chosen undead, so he'd always be inferior. Also parriable.

It is debatable if there even is such a thing as a chosen undead at all, or if the serpents were just making it up to get someone who was strong to carry out their will by saying they were special and prophecy and whatnot.

ilium

It is debatable if there even is such a thing as a chosen undead at all, or if the serpents were just making it up to get someone who was strong to carry out their will by saying they were special and prophecy and whatnot.

Ah, the serpents, my favorite mystery from dks1. Was disappointed not finding one in dks2 :
Wonder what happened to them...

The shrines that let you enter the dlc area... There are three serpent like creatures attached but without heads. Maybe there is a connection?

LProtag

I haven't been in here for a while, but I got my Solaire hoodie in the mail today and figured this was the place to say that!

So excited to wear it once it gets cold out.

NEO0MJ

I think I heard this before. Where are they exactly?

I haven't been in here for a while, but I got my Solaire hoodie in the mail today and figured this was the place to say that!

So excited to wear it once it gets cold out.

Pics?

Yeah, both of them where schemers, throwing mostly lies and a few half-truths to make you do their bidding.

ElFly

Ah, the serpents, my favorite mystery from dks1. Was disappointed not finding one in dks2 :

The shrines that let you enter the dlc area... There are three serpent like creatures attached but without heads. Maybe there is a connection?

Feel this indicates they will killed at some point.

Either way, the point stands, they are okay with putting a weaker lore boss at the very end of the game, for poetic reasons.

From being from, oscar would be a roll cancelling asshat.

Considering that the area where you'd fight him would be just outside of Gwyn's, his more probable end would be to roll into a hole and fall into defeat YOU DEFEATED

burgerdog

Fuck me, I would have a ton of free time to play the DLC this week, too. Next week I'm only going to be able to do 1 hour or so per day.

v1perz53

I loved the serpents and their lore back in DkS 1, really awesome that depending on how deeply you dug into the lore you could get totally different things out of their story. But I will be damned if the first time I saw Frampt I didn't burst out laughing at how funny those things look. The goofy giant toothed gummy smile, the floppy mustache appendage, even the shape of their head just looks silly.

Anyway, DLC delay sucks, but I guess it gives me more time to finish all other NG+ content besides the new DLC on my faith build, and finish all NG content besides the new DLC on my hex build (I always like to go thru the DLC first on NG to see how it is in its base form).

Booshka

150 was the arbitrary meta level for the PvP crowd in the beginning. as you can see however this level is advocated by a very small minority.
200 is the new meta. if you aren't interested in organised fight clubs however, you can level up as much as you want because soul memory, not soul level is used for matchmaking.

dslevelf5lre.jpg

SL 150 was already too high, now 200 is the Meta? Dark Souls 2 community is bizarre.

135 is the sweet spot for a PvP meta, you can hit hard caps in 3 or so skills, and get the requirements and soft cap skills as well. You still have to make sacrifices though, and focus builds.

Soul Memory made people go Hollow.

v1perz53

SL 150 was already too high, now 200 is the Meta? Dark Souls 2 community is bizarre.

135 is the sweet spot for a PvP meta, you can hit hard caps in 3 or so skills, and get the requirements and soft cap skills as well. You still have to make sacrifices though, and focus builds.

Are you surprised that the meta level has basically become the point that you can get all the stats you want to their soft caps in a focused build? Because I sure as hell am not. Once they de-linked PvP from actual SL, I pretty much assumed tons of people would just push their level as high as possible to try to have an advantage. It would probably be better for the game if the SL cap was lower, but it will never happen unless you make SL part of matchmaking again.

Ruuppa

It's not even SL 200, it's SL 200 to 249 because the range is so wide on those levels.

Soul Memory is responsible for a lot of evil. With it in, you'll start to feel the hits coming on later SM tiers if you stay on a low SL.

This is what turned me off DS2 PvP, I've stayed away from it almost since the start. I just don't understand what the point is if you don't have builds based on stats. It's like giving every Street Fighter character every move and the same stats - why even bother, it's just cosmetic. The whole point of PvP is to pit one advantage/disadvantage against another, it has to be a game of chess otherwise there's no point - Souls PvP has already a mess of reasons to make it unbalanced and situational. Making stats irrelevant KILLED PvP for me.

NEO0MJ

Are you surprised that the meta level has basically become the point that you can get all the stats you want to their soft caps in a focused build? Because I sure as hell am not. Once they de-linked PvP from actual SL, I pretty much assumed tons of people would just push their level as high as possible to try to have an advantage. It would probably be better for the game if the SL cap was lower, but it will never happen unless you make SL part of matchmaking again.

Yeah, Soul Memory is a real problem. It pretty much made it pointless to stay at a low level because you'll keep getting matched against strong opponents. I tried to keep my SL at 160 but started raising it because I felt I would be handicapping myself if high level invaders in my soul memory range showed up.

This is what turned me off DS2 PvP, I've stayed away from it almost since the start. I just don't understand what the point is if you don't have builds based on stats. It's like giving every Street Fighter character every move and the same stats - why even bother, it's just cosmetic. The whole point of PvP is to pit one advantage/disadvantage against another, it has to be a game of chess otherwise there's no point - Souls PvP has already a mess of reasons to make it unbalanced and situational. Making stats irrelevant KILLED PvP for me.

I think they did it because such a large portion of the community decided to have a SL cut off point. Which meant if you were to goo above that and wanted to PvP your chances to invade were really low. Also it caused Co-Op summons to be really difficult because if you were overleveled for a boss, well GG you're not going to get summoned. I guess they also wanted to negate builds, have people be able to play how they want(be super high leveled and still get invaded/invade, for example).

v1perz53

Well, that was kind of a bad example because if every Street Fighter character had the same stats and all the moves, every match would be a pure test of skill and using the right move at the right time, simply being able to outplay your opponent by being better than them at the game.

Which is kind of true for Dark Souls as well, in PvP. If you are a better player than someone else, you can still beat them in PvP even if they had a 99 in every stat (assuming no healing). You would just have to be straight better at dodging, parrying and timing your attacks than they are, and would have to play perfectly for quite a while as you get through their sizable health pool and armor. This is not how it should be, but possible.

Of course, this kind of doesn't work in all cases and it severely narrows the amount of viable items, which is where the real problem lies I think. If you can have a high enough SL to do full damage and move full speed and still wear full Havel's why wouldn't you. It used to be a tradeoff because you couldn't have full defensive stats and offensive stats, so you would see glass cannons as well as tanks, but now everyone is just best of both worlds. Skill still determines the outcome, but it is definitely less fun when everyone can have it all.

Top Bottom