• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Zocano

Edit: yo zocano. I did read item descriptions and explored all the areas, exhausted dialogues of all NPCs.

DaS1 had something to offer you at every step. Like you step into undead berg and see undead suffering, then send fortress gaurded by snake heads, then anoe London with mighty silver knights, lone black knights you encounter at each place, havel etc. Each and every enemy has a story to offer. And all the stories it tells are visually expressed, like you see suffering of undeads, and pride in lone dark knights. Even without reading the descriptions, you can speculate a lot of things at each location.

DS2 lacked that sort of minute details. You face heldi knights, like dark knights in DaS1, but they just don't express as much emotion as dark knights. Dark knights scare the shit out of you when you first encounter them. The guards in the dranglic castle vs silver knights. Even bosses lacked the strong expression, like when you see seath you know he is a damned researcher, what about freja? Nito gives a vibe of cursed necromancer, the rotten? Did rotten has any connection with tentacle enemies like into had with giant skelitons?

The item descriptions are so generic. They just try to be controversial. Ds1 item descriptions are more like clues to the story.

Most disappointing thing was covenants. Each covenant has a great sencw of purpose in DS1. The covenant heads represent the purpose of covenant. While ds2 covenants havs annoying representatives.

I'm not hating on it, when I said it lacked depth I didn't say it like a blind hipster and I'm not being spectical. I observed carefully for clues to understand the world and story but I didn't find many interesting things.

I just want to watch some videos to see if others have found anything interesting.

Mmmmm.

I'll definitely agree about the minute details. The Heide Knights are definitely one of those that felt they were unfinished ideas. And Aldia's Keep could have been much more in depth and elaborate than it was. Felt a bit too short for how important and interesting it is.

I thought Drangleic castle was well done, though. The whole place reeks with solitude and desolation. It just feels empty and abandoned (while placing enemies that fit in with Vendrick's scouring from past kingdoms and such).

I'll agree about some of the bosses. As much as I think Ornstein and Smough are a boring and shitty boss fight, their design is impeccable and they have a lot of character behind them. There was a lot of character behind certain bosses in Dark Souls 1 and I see why people were hooked by them.

That isn't to say that Dark Souls 2 is missing them, though. I think they're there, but the overabundance of bosses sort of hides the exceptional ones under the run-of-the-mill ones.

Pursuer's sound design is really cool. He feels ghastly and haunting and it adds a lot to him. Demon of Song is another one. The design is so grotesque and weird and it sticks with you. The whole of area of Shrine of Amana was fantastic thematically. Those are just two examples but there are a few more that I really enjoyed.

But again they're covered by the overabundance of stuff in Dark Souls 2. Which is probably its biggest fault for me. I like a lot of Dark Souls 2 and find it consistently better but the overabundance of bonfires, items, bosses, what have you just sort of keeps the good things from really shining.

The thing I'll give Dark Souls 1 over the other two without second thought is that Dark Souls 1 had a much more cohesive vision. They nail the macro-level themes and scope of the game really well. All the small bits work in favor of the macro-level stuff and that's what hooked people on to it.

...That stuff was neat for me but I didn't fall head over heels.

Ruuppa

A bit of an aside from the lore stuff, one thing that someone pointed out, that has been bothering me ever since: It doesn't seem like the areas in DkS2 would be places people would actually, you know, live in.

Drangleic Castle is full of weird-ass passages leading through and forwards that I wouldn't think any sensible person would use in their day-to-day life, there are no bedrooms, kitchens, living quarters etc. Just halls with emptiness. In contrast Anor Londo was vibrant as all hell, with living quarters and trophy rooms connected with somewhat clear passages etc.

This applies to almost all of the areas in DkS2, they just feel.. Gamey.

It's the same with a lot of progression blocking obstacles: You have to run around the whole level in the Wharf because you can't get over a knee-high obstacle, you have murder your way through the whole game because you can't scale the small rubble between the Crossroads and Drangleic Castle.. It just feels off when contrasted by the prequel.

But again they're covered by the overabundance of stuff in Dark Souls 2. Which is probably its biggest fault for me. I like a lot of Dark Souls 2 and find it consistently better but the overabundance of bonfires, items, bosses, what have you just sort of keeps the good things from really shining.

Haha I forgot to mention this. This was one of the major flaws for me. Every time I see a loot in DaS I was so exited what it would be. But in 2 there are so many normal items like arrows, lifegems in loots, which kind of killed the anticipation for finding something rare.

Not only the loots, there are lot of cool things but they overshadowed by lot of normal things. Some levels are just too good, like chariot boss, right next to it you find skeliton lords. Misty aria in shaded woods is cool and right next to it, shaded ruins was your routine ruins setting. Aldia keep, doors of pharos is great, but doesn't last long while teseldora and royal camp was large and boring. It lacks consistency.

I like persuor too. Awesome boss design. Smelter demon, chariot and darklurker are my other favs. Those are my top four.

Smelter demon has nice description too. And dark covenant are my favorite covenant in DaS2. All grandhal's dialogues about dark are really cool.

Zocano

I mentioned this in the Demon's Souls thread but Dark Souls 1 just added a ton of stuff on top of Demon's and then Dark Souls 2 added even more.

And honestly I've always preferred the small roster in Demon's Souls. This didn't kill build variety like I feel people think it does.

But *every* weapon was different. Not just similar movesets with maybe one switched around like the Dark Souls 2 UGS.

Every weapon felt like it mattered somehow. And the fairly flattened weapon damage scaling made it so that even the relatively weaker weapons were somehow useful.

I'm glad to hear Bloodborne is scaling back the weapon gallery.

Mistel

Banned
But *every* weapon was different. Not just similar movesets with maybe one switched around like the Dark Souls 2 UGS.
Every weapon with the exception of the mirrah and old mirrah greatsword is technically unique from every other in terms of damage, scaling, and hitboxes. But no denying there's a lack of variety in movesets in general and a smidgen of sandbox bloat.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Every weapon with the exception of the mirrah and old mirrah greatsword is technically unique from every other in terms of damage, scaling, and hitboxes. But no denying there's a lack of variety in movesets in general and a smidgen of sandbox bloat.
Does dark souls have less unique movesets compared to demons? Somehow I doubt it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A bit of an aside from the lore stuff, one thing that someone pointed out, that has been bothering me ever since: It doesn't seem like the areas in DkS2 would be places people would actually, you know, live in.

Drangleic Castle is full of weird-ass passages leading through and forwards that I wouldn't think any sensible person would use in their day-to-day life, there are no bedrooms, kitchens, living quarters etc. Just halls with emptiness. In contrast Anor Londo was vibrant as all hell, with living quarters and trophy rooms connected with somewhat clear passages etc.

This applies to almost all of the areas in DkS2, they just feel.. Gamey.

It's the same with a lot of progression blocking obstacles: You have to run around the whole level in the Wharf because you can't get over a knee-high obstacle, you have murder your way through the whole game because you can't scale the small rubble between the Crossroads and Drangleic Castle.. It just feels off when contrasted by the prequel.
To be fair while this does effect darks souls 2 a hell of a lot more, none of the souls games are all that concerned with realistic functionality and architecture. To their detriment I think

v1perz53

Something I didn't like about DeS was how boring most boss weapons were as well, they were nothing spacial.

That's a pretty common problem in Souls games. Before the DLC but after some nerfs there weren't a whole lot of boss soul weapons you'd want to use in DkS 2, and Dragon Bones were so damn rare that you'd be able to try maybe 1 or 2 per playthrough/aescetic farming session to try out.

Though at least now we have some unique effects/movesets on a lot of boss weapons. I would probably be more inclined to use a lot of them if not for the PC durability bug, but because of that the durability used for the special attacks basically means I can't use them on PC if I want to use it as my main weapon. Great as supplemental weapons though, which is how I use my Curved Dragon Greatsword. That R2 is so useful with the long distance knockdown.

strafer

Speaking of weapons, I've reached a dude in The Lost Bastille that can sell me weapons if I give them a boss soul, I currently have Dragonrider and The Pursuer.

Any suggestion on what I should get?

Don't know if I should get The Pursuers sword and Dragonrider Shield

or

The Pursuers Shield and Dragonriders Halberd

Zocano

Well that's the thing, the boss soul weapons in Dark Souls 1 and 2 feel like a novelty almost. They give them weird artistic designs but most end up just not being very interesting or even good enough in practice. They end up just being outclassed and you only really end up using them for novelty purposes. Rather than function.

Aside from the Needle of Agony from Demon's Souls, all the boss soul weapons matched up and had some cool things to them.

Like the Blueblood sword's luck scaling. Or Morion Blade's hypermode. Then there's good ol' Scraping Spear. They all had some cool weird function to them that didn't deprive them of actual utility.

A lot of that, I feel, is because Demon's Souls weapon upgrading doesn't have silly damage inflation. Hell, most of the really good weapons or interesting weapons either don't actually upgrade damage when you upgrade them or they don't even upgrade at all.

Like the Blueblood sword. You don't even upgrade it.

This ended up with a lot of flattening of the weapon damage so each one ended up never really feeling obsolete. Not to mention that scaling wasn't complete garbage in Demon's Souls (the only game of the three with good scaling). Like the Hands of God. The damage doesn't ever go up when you upgrade it. Just the scaling. There was no silly damage inflation/bloat/whatever across the game.

A lot of it had to do with just the basic macro design of Demon's Souls. It didn't make coming to an area like 5-1 late *too* obsolete. Sure it was a lot easier but the damage numbers weren't completely silly but the time you get through World 5.

Speaking of weapons, I've reached a dude in The Lost Bastille that can sell me weapons if I give them a boss soul, I currently have Dragonrider and The Pursuer.

or

Pursuer's Greatsword is a shitty version of the Greatsword. Then the shields really just end up with whatever you want. They're nearly the same like all the greatshields minus a couple numbers here and there. Just go with what FashionSouls tells you.

Mistel

Banned
Does dark souls have less unique movesets compared to demons? Somehow I doubt it.
It has a lot more variety in the weapons yes.

or

Dragon rider halberd is best for STR/INT builds due to its natural INT scaling. The pursuer greatsword is a pretty decent ultra. The dragon rider halberd or maybe the dragon rider twinblade would be the best choices. Pursuer's stuff is alright but out perfromed by most stuff.

v1perz53

or

You can get whatever, but I wouldn't bother too much with boss soul weapons unless there is one specific one that you really like and want. The materials to upgrade boss soul weapons are rare and come late, and upgraded normal weapons will quickly be stronger than non upgraded boss weapons.

That said, make sure to keep your weapon upgraded as much as you can! Biggest damage boost comes from upgrading, not from stats (as Zocano mentioned as a flaw he sees in the Dark Souls weapon system!)

Didnt the Dark souls 1 boss weapons were more unique and have passive abilities that makes them unique but less powerful compared to normal weapons?

Played this hundreds of hours and even platinumed it. But I wasnt paying much attention to story and lore as I felt there aren't many interesting little clues and details like in previous games.

Are there any good videos explaining lore, characters and story?

Just take yout time and read the item descriptions and count how many contradictions you can find there, feels like the writes of the game didnt even know how the game's story goes after you reach the Bastille.

And the lore somehow rewrited in the DLC to be more appealing and very descriptive in someparts for non lore players.

strafer

You can get whatever, but I wouldn't bother too much with boss soul weapons unless there is one specific one that you really like and want. The materials to upgrade boss soul weapons are rare and come late, and upgraded normal weapons will quickly be stronger than non upgraded boss weapons.

That said, make sure to keep your weapon upgraded as much as you can! Biggest damage boost comes from upgrading, not from stats (as Zocano mentioned as a flaw he sees in the Dark Souls weapon system!)

Yeah, I realised that I already upgraded my sword to +5, so that would be a bummer to replace a sword I worked on, went with The Pursuers Shield.

But on NG+, can I get the soul again from him and take the sword?

NEO0MJ

Didnt the Dark souls 1 boss weapons were more unique and have passive abilities that makes them unique but less powerful compared to normal weapons?

That's true. One of their biggest problems was that they could not be buffed, and couldn't be upgraded much. A few were good though, such as the Moonlight Butterfly Horn. And the Golem Axe was probably my favorite weapon in the game. I loved the projectile it launched, which looked like the axe sliced the air itself.

v1perz53

Yeah, I realised that I already upgraded my sword to +5, so that would be a bummer to replace a sword I worked on, went with The Pursuers Shield.

Yep. And there are some boss souls that you get multiple copies of even in a single playthrough.

Mistel

Banned

You could go get one right now via ascetics used on the cardinal tower bonfire. Your bastard at +5 has higher base damage than the pursuer ultra but has C/C scaling at max compared to the pursuer's A/C.

Although it may seem like it now upgrade materials get a loss less scarce very quickly.

v1perz53

I actually prefer DaveControlLive's take on the story, VattiVidya's point of view seems more like mere speculation.

I think Vaati mentioned at one point that he is a professional creative writer, so his videos combine his interpretation of the lore with his own creative writing to come up with a dramatic story for a video. Why his videos have more flash and possibly entertainment value, but could have more speculation than other videos.

I like his style but also other styles, I pretty much just watch whatever decent lore videos are out there.

I think Vaati mentioned at one point that he is a professional creative writer, so his videos combine his interpretation of the lore with his own creative writing to come up with a dramatic story for a video. Why his videos have more flash and possibly entertainment value, but could have more speculation than other videos.

I like his style but also other styles, I pretty much just watch whatever decent lore videos are out there.

Vaati is one of my favourite content creators for Dark Souls. I don't watch many Dark Souls youtubers because a lot of them just do the same generic "hey watch me play the game for 20 minutes!!!" There are some that do really good videos though, like Lobos has really good challenge run videos.

BTW what's everyone's hatred of DEX? Everywhere I look people criticize DEX, there's even PSA and like DEX, not even once videos heh.

I was actually just referring to the videos where they explained the story: Vaati's one does feel a little bit hollow (see what I did there?) since it was up like just a week after the release of the game, somehow it felt rushed, DaveControlLive's is more about collecting the info we had in game and he elaborates in the story. The next pieces Vaati produced are better, perhaps he just had more time to think about the story, specially the one about The Crown of the Sunken King... that one was impressive, you could tell the guy is very passionate about the series.

At some point it seemed that many youtubers just wanted to make lore videos while nobody had produced anything, and that affected the quality of what they produced at that time.

I was actually just referring to the videos where they explained the story: Vaati's one does feel a little bit hollow (see what I did there?) since it was up like just a week after the release of the game, somehow it felt rushed, DaveControlLive's is more about collecting the info we had in game and he elaborates in the story. The next pieces Vaati produced are better, perhaps he just had more time to think about the story, specially the one about The Crown of the Sunken King was pretty amazing.

At some point it seemed that many youtubers just wanted to make lore videos while nobody had produced anything, and that affected the quality of what they produced at that time.

I think the first one was done to have a first take on the lore kind of thing. Like after plaything through it once, here's what I think the lore is about. Just like DaS1 as we gather more clues, find more secrets, etc I feel the lore will be better tied together and make sense. What I dislike though is a lot of the items are similar to the descriptions of the first one, or say that they are the same item from a long time ago.

Because its awful scaling and it being really outperformed by STR?

What about black steel katanas? They have S scaling with DEX.

I haven't tried them since my character is more like a "quality" build and I just use the mastodon greatsword. Its performance (black steel katana) is not good enough?

I got down the Iron Passage in the second DLC... a week ago. And I couldn't be bothered to carry on. After all the reports of the second DLC being better than the first I was expecting more, but ehhh I am not feeling any of it at all. I didn't like the first DLC, but I like it more than this. Visually it's nice. Not amazing, just nice though.

I did this run on a German Spy-inspired no-shield melee character, I don't know if that was the problem. Usually I'd go rapier/spells/support spells only - some other kind of handicap, but I went full out STR weapon build for once in my DS2 life.

I don't want to keep hating on DS2, I did just drop another £20 on it, but if I don't feel like it was money well spent, I think it's my right as a consumer to say so somewhere and this is my somewhere damn it!

If it's so bad, though, why is everyone also complaining about katanas in PvP?

That's what I was wondering. Lots of people are criticizing others that do DEX builds, but if it sucks and they use it in PvP wouldn't you prefer they do it rather than another type of thing that wrecks? I really like some of the DEX weapon move sets, like Puzzle Sword(it's not a great weapon, just the fact that it's a whip sword makes me happy) also the Black Steel Katana and Murakumo are amongst my fav DEX weapons.

GRIP

I pretty much only use Dex builds and they are perfectly fine. Power-stancing rapiers with the Leo ring will tear through practically every enemy in the game.

NEO0MJ

I had a lot of fun with dex during my second playthrough. Think I might go with a faith build next time.

I got down the Iron Passage in the second DLC... a week ago. And I couldn't be bothered to carry on. After all the reports of the second DLC being better than the first I was expecting more, but ehhh I am not feeling any of it at all. I didn't like the first DLC, but I like it more than this. Visually it's nice. Not amazing, just nice though.

Iron Passage is the low point of the second DLC, no denying that.

Mistel

Banned
What about black steel katanas? They have S scaling with DEX.
Inferior to other options for a DEX build to be honest.
If it's so bad, though, why is everyone also complaining about katanas in PvP?
Broken hit boxes and phantom hits is more than reasonable to complain about really. Especially coupled with their attack speed and range when it comes to the washing pole for example.
That's what I was wondering. Lots of people are criticizing others that do DEX builds, but if it sucks and they use it in PvP wouldn't you prefer they do it rather than another type of thing that wrecks?
It doesn't suck per se it's just really bad returns compared to the same investment in STR. PvP is a right mess anyway so it's not the greatest indicator things.

v1perz53

The "problem" with Dex, as has been mentioned before, is the scaling returns. Because dex also effects bleed and poison, per point of dex you get less bonus damage added on than you would with strength. Take a weapon with A str A dex scaling in fantasy land. If you have 40 str and 40 dex, the weapon might get something like +70 damage from str but only get +45 damage from dex (numbers are all totally made up just to illustrate the idea), because some of that 40 dex stat is going to boosting poison and bleed.

Theoretically, this can be remedied by making dex weapons swing faster and thus make more use of frequent but smaller added damage, but that is definitely not always the case, actually not even usually the case. There are plenty of fast Str weapons and slow dex weapons. So if you are not utilizing poison or bleed, you are technically getting less bang for your buck with dex than str.

Anyway, it is all irrelevant because there are many factors to what makes a good weapon more important than raw damage and scaling damage, notably moveset, swing speed and stamina cost. But because of str giving more "bang for your buck" there are generally more workable str options than dex. Not saying dex is bad, just that you usually have more choices with str.

Just go quality 99/99 str/dex and use everything!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
To add to what already has been said, they have ridiculous counter damage. Almost all of them have 150 counter (3 out of 8 have 130), which is only topped by Lances with 160.

Kinda stupid. That sort of counter damage should be for stuff like rapiers or spears (or maybe not on any stupidly fast weapon). Or give them to light axes. Plz, light axes need help.

v1perz53

Kinda stupid. That sort of counter damage should be for stuff like rapiers or spears (or maybe not on any stupidly fast weapon). Or give them to light axes. Plz, light axes need help.

I also hate how counter damage modifier is shown on a weapon, but counter is a hard to understand and obtuse system (hit an enemy during their attack or recovery animation), but crit/riposte damage modifier is not shown on a weapon, while crit/riposte is a pretty understandable system. Is there really a reason not to show crit modifiers? Players will find them out anyway more or less by using the weapons, it just makes it slightly annoying.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I also hate how counter damage modifier is shown on a weapon, but counter is a hard to understand and obtuse system (hit an enemy during their attack or recovery animation), but crit/riposte damage modifier is not shown on a weapon, while crit/riposte is a pretty understandable system. Is there really a reason not to show crit modifiers? Players will find them out anyway more or less by using the weapons, it just makes it slightly annoying.

I dunno why crit modifers and item discovery were hidden. Other than the devs clearly hate people collecting all the gear in the game if those bullshit red phantoms are anything to go by.

Btw does the lingering dragoncrest ring +2 count dark spirits summoned with red soapstone or only invaders?

Zocano

BTW what's everyone's hatred of DEX? Everywhere I look people criticize DEX, there's even PSA and like DEX, not even once videos heh.

For me that's a weird thing to see.

Most of the people I've seen that get into Dark Souls just get super stupidly infatuated by dex weapons so I've felt like STR builds are the minority.

I guess that's... wrong?

v1perz53

For me that's a weird thing to see.

Most of the people I've seen that get into Dark Souls just get super stupidly infatuated by dex weapons so I've felt like STR builds are the minority.

I guess that's... wrong?

Dex builds were heavily the majority in DkS 1. In DkS 2, however, it seems almost everyone I know of went for Str this time, probably a combination of the fact that it was a change from dex builds in the first game and that the Mace is such a phenomenal starting weapon.

ZdkDzk

I always assumed it's because dex weapons in general don't do as much damage or poise break as strength weapons. They usually make up for it with speed, stamina consumption, interesting move sets/abilities, but some people don't find it worth the levels.

Top Bottom