• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Even if I was afraid of spiders, game spiders are so far removed from real ones that I can't understand being bothered by them.
Funny you should say that. "Fantasy" spiders generally don't bother me much in game, though I am not arachnophobic anyway. But "realistic" looking giant spiders really creep the fuck out of me. The smaller spiders in Dark Souls II gross me out every time, and I never cease to take pleasure in killing them. I don't know why, really. I mean sure, Armour Spider, Quelaag, or Freja have a "ewww" to them, but hey it's a nasty monster, whatever. But the things in Freja's lair... I shudder every time. Especially the one that just creeps out from under that strand of spiderweb that serves as a bridge... every time it comes up, I get a shiver.

I also skip Freja's introduction cut scene every single time now. xD

It's funny how one of you says that he's going hollow because of his obsession while the other says he hasn't gone hollow because of his obsession.

Hollowing in DSII is more like degenerative state of mind while the strongest desire or thought is the last thing to lost before becoming Hollow.

Ruuppa

I have the suspicion NG++ will make all the enemies and bosses have incredibly inflated health that it will be frustrating.

But then again starting over is kind of drastic.

This is why I park multiple characters in NG after killing all the bosses. Can jump instantly into the action once the DLC pops out.

ilium

Hollowing in DSII is more like degenerative state of mind while the strongest desire or thought is the last thing to lost before becoming Hollow.

i remember that miyazaki once explained in an interview that he sees the healthbar more as willpower than health.
so the more you die, the more you lose the will to go further.
i think it's interesting that this applies even more to the player than the actual avatar.

Should I play the DLC on NG++ or start over?

i played all DLCs on NG+++ and it's not that bad.

but i played with a sorcery build so that certainly helped

I always seem to have too many slabs...so different from DS1.

Chunks are what I always seem to be short on.

This. I find it so weird that I have an abundence of slabs, yet short on chunks. slabs are supposed to be the ultra rare WhatInTheFuckThisShitActuallyExists?! Yet I have more slabs than I can ever use. I gues it's also due to how you only use 1 slab but use like 6 chunks.

McDuff don't exactly strike me as that.

McDuff is just a sociopath, I still find it hilarious he calls me an imbecile heh. But yeah I don't think he's crazy hollow, just overall crazy and obsessed with flame...dear flame.

I knew it, giant spiders.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

All aboard the nope train headed for Fuck This Shit valley. I hated that placed, but it was more due to infinitely spamming mages and spider human abominations that strike you as they die.

Precisely for what you said, they want to make enemies that induce fear and seem terrifying, spiders accomplish that better than beetles. Also, I never really got why so many people have problems with video game spiders, it is something that comes up pretty frequently. Even if I was afraid of spiders, game spiders are so far removed from real ones that I can't understand being bothered by them. But that is just how phobias work. In order for it to be a phobia, it more or less has to be irrational (or at least disproportionate to the actual danger). Just hard for me to understand since it doesn't make me feel that way, wish I could understand though!

I don't know...after watching The Mummy beetles are pretty damn terrifying. Even though they're scarabs and don't actually do that shit they still looked like beetles and the fear is now there. It's not so much the spider itself that scares me, since I know they can't hurt me(except for the ones in like Australia and Brasil.) It has to do with their creepy movement, and the fact that they will sometimes just appear out of nowhere and be in front of me, startling me. Both of which occur in the game. Personally, I feel this game would further solidify why people are afraid of spiders, they attack in groups, take huge chunks of your health away ad can kill you.
For me I don't think I really have arachnophobia, I'd just not want to touch them, or have them crawl over me which is pretty much the same with any insect, except for ants because ants are cute...except when you have a zoomed up image of em...

I would love an egyptian souls. Dont know how interested Japan is in that setting though.
Me too, and not only being I am Egyptian. Plus there would be lots of cats :3.

ilium

I would love an egyptian souls. Dont know how interested Japan is in that setting though.

Me too, and not only being I am Egyptian. Plus there would be lots of cats :3.

man, i would love egyptian souls! exploring ancient tombs would make so much sense. also it wouldn't have to be all sunshine. solar eclipses were kind of a big deal in egypt, so imagine exploring the desert during a permanent solar eclipse... spooky

also: mirage

"oh finally, there is a bonfire!"

no, there isn't.

v1perz53

I have the suspicion NG++ will make all the enemies and bosses have incredibly inflated health that it will be frustrating.

But then again starting over is kind of drastic.

Haha drastic you say! *glances over at his list of 5 NG+ characters and 3 NG++ characters*

ElFly

This is why I park multiple characters in NG after killing all the bosses. Can jump instantly into the action once the DLC pops out.

I have a bunch of parked characters but they are on my ps3.

On PC I have one guy who is on NG at a ridiculously high level, and I only have the DLC there.

v1perz53

O lord. I cba to beat the game with the same character too many times. I have 3 characters, one beat NG++ another is at the mansion in NG+, and the third which is my DLC dude is in NG+.

One of my NG++ is my platinum trophy character on PSN, one of my NG++ is my no deaths and no bonfires character (moved to NG++ for the hell of it) and the last is my "main" character. Probably wouldn't have gone as far as NG++ on the first two if there wasn't a specific reason for it in both cases to play through all of NG+.

I much prefer starting a new character with a new weapon/spells I haven't tried yet or theme I haven't done to going to another NG+ iteration on a current character.

One of my NG++ is my platinum trophy character on PSN, one of my NG++ is my no deaths and no bonfires character (moved to NG++ for the hell of it) and the last is my "main" character. Probably wouldn't have gone as far as NG++ on the first two if there wasn't a specific reason for it in both cases to play through all of NG+.

I much prefer starting a new character with a new weapon/spells I haven't tried yet or theme I haven't done to going to another NG+ iteration on a current character.

With my Cleric I only went into NG++ to get all the miracles, my sorcerer is in NG+ because I kinda released the dude and thus couldn't get the spell. My melee dude is in NG+ to act as a tank for hosts while also dishing out damage. I technically have a fourth character who was supposed to backstab players with the claws named RectalExaminer, but I'm too lazy to carry him on.

strafer

Nobody knows yet, but I would be really surprised if there wasn't.

Man, watching Bloodborne makes me wanna see something similar on PC.

Bloodborne-gets-six-minutes-of-direct-feed-gameplay-footage.jpg

This. I find it so weird that I have an abundence of slabs, yet short on chunks. slabs are supposed to be the ultra rare WhatInTheFuckThisShitActuallyExists?! Yet I have more slabs than I can ever use. I gues it's also due to how you only use 1 slab but use like 6 chunks.

Yeah, the scarcity of them should have been balanced so that it scaled better according to how many you would need. And none of the Chunk farming spots are nearly as fun as fighting the Darkwraiths in DS2. I used to look forward to farming those guys for chunks (and the occasional slab!). "Farming" for them in the Belfries is kind of fun, but if you don't like PVP than none of the enemies that drop Chunks are very fun to farm.

v1perz53

Yeah, the scarcity of them should have been balanced so that it scaled better according to how many you would need. And none of the Chunk farming spots are nearly as fun as fighting the Darkwraiths in DS2. I used to look forward to farming those guys for chunks (and the occasional slab!). "Farming" for them in the Belfries is kind of fun, but if you don't like PVP than none of the enemies that drop Chunks are very fun to farm.

I don't like Belfry farming for two reasons. One, the wait time is annoying and you can't really do anything in the meanwhile. And two, if your main objective is just getting chunks, it pays for you to get summoned, then dick around until another person is summoned and 2v1 the host. So to meet your primary objective (chunks) in the most efficient possible way, you have to wait a lot then be a super lame 2v1 PvPer.

Darkwraiths on the other hand, were very fun to fight. I wish there was a bonfire a little closer, but it still wasn't too bad getting to them. And once you got to them, they were very vulnerable to parry/riposte and backstabs, while being weak to fire, so you could effectively farm them at any level of offensive stats by making a fire weapon. Plus they were worth a good chunk of souls, so you got soul farming and chunk/slab farming done at the same time.

Really, I just wish they had a Frampt style "chew up a slab spit out 5 chunks" type thing in DkS 2. I thought that was a very elegant system in the first game, where you only had to farm top tier materials and could turn them into lower tier stuff.

I kinda wish they did the trading like in DaS1 where you could get some chunks for the slab. But I guess with the Primordial Serpents being MIA, or KIA if you believe the headless serpents at the alter represents them, would make it impossible :/. O well.

Haven't played for a while and bought the DLC today.... Have they nerfed the Blacksteel Katana? I remember my +10 being better than the +10 Heide knight sword?

Ruuppa

Haven't played for a while and bought the DLC today.... Have they nerfed the Blacksteel Katana? I remember my +10 being better than the +10 Heide knight sword?

They actually buffed the Strong Attack.

Good lord the game has a lot of armors/sets: Around 112 compared to DkS1's ~58. And they're all upgradeable too.. All dem materials, man. Don't even get me started on Twinkling.

It got a buff actually for its strong attack in patch 1.06. What are your stats then?

Yeah it's a bit of a shame I was going to get one if was there.

They actually buffed the Strong Attack.

Good lord the game has a lot of armors/sets: Around 112 compared to DkS1's ~58. And they're all upgradeable too.. All dem materials, man. Don't even get me started on Twinkling.

14 STR, 50 DEX and 55 FTH at the moment. Regular attack does mo dmg! I'm not all that keen on the BS katana heavy!

Mistel

Banned
14 STR, 50 DEX and 55 FTH at the moment. Regular attack does mo dmg! I'm not all that keen on the BS katana heavy!
A heide knight sword has the higher AR for the pair if both are at max uninfused. By a fair margin too heide is 374 blacksteel only 345. If you wanted more millage from the heide you could swap your STR and DEX around with 50STR and 14DEX, you'd get a AR of 397 that's what I'd do anyway if I were you.
I'm so getting this armor.
gaUyXZh.png
Farm the knight in the forest of fallen giants it's the easiest one to farm for it.

A heide knight sword has the higher AR for the pair if both are at max uninfused. By a fair margin too heide is 374 blacksteel only 345. If you wanted more millage from the heide you could swap your STR and DEX around with 50STR and 14DEX, you'd get a AR of 397 that's what I'd do anyway if I were you.

Farm the knight in the forest of fallen giants it's the easiest one to farm for it.

Thanks, that's really strange as the Heide sword used to be my back up weapon!

Can someone tell me what the deal is with Infusions?

I currently have a Raw Longsword +10 since I have both FTH and INT under 5 and only 24 STR and like 14 DEX. However now it seems when I check the other infusions, every single one seems to do more damage. Even when I turn it back to normal it seems to give a damage boost, but not as much as Lightning, Fire, Magic or Dark.

Is this number for my right hand weapon accurate? Should I infuse with something?

v1perz53

I currently have a Raw Longsword +10 since I have both FTH and INT under 5 and only 24 STR and like 14 DEX. However now it seems when I check the other infusions, every single one seems to do more damage. Even when I turn it back to normal it seems to give a damage boost, but not as much as Lightning, Fire, Magic or Dark.

Is this number for my right hand weapon accurate? Should I infuse with something?

Damage numbers are a bit misleading. A weapon that does 100 lightning and 100 physical damage will actually do much less damage than a weapon doing 200 physical damage, because the former goes through two defenses. In that, the 100 lightning is reduced by some amount because of the target's lightning resistance, and the 100 physical is reduced by some amount because of the target's physical defense. But because of how phys def works, the 100 damage from the first and 200 damage from the second weapon are reduced very similar amounts, so the 200 damage weapon comes out on top.

Long story short, just because the total damage numbers the weapon does look higher doesn't mean the weapon does more damage in practice. Not sure why turning it normal would be a damage boost since you can't see scaling in the infusion preview area (I am assuming you are just looking at the changes when you select each infusion and not actually infusing a bunch of times), but I have never used raw so I don't know.

Though raw is kind of crappy, generally even slight scaling ends up better than raw. Even at only 24 str 14 dex normal would likely be better than raw (but wait for stormtrooper to give exact values hah)

Edit: Oh also, about the fact that you don't see scaling until you equip it, infusing a weapon lightning/fire/dark etc will lower the physical scaling, and since you have basically no stats for magic scaling while the base damage might go up, your total AR would be lower.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks, that's really strange as the Heide sword used to be my back up weapon!
It's a little power house of a sword that get your right through everything pretty much.

Raw is min stats orientated, a longsword with your stats is stronger at normal that a raw weapon due to the C/C scaling giving you more bonus damage than the raw infusion.
Lightning, fire, magic, and dark all add scaling based on each of their elements respective scaling. They're physically weaker but gain element damage and scaling compared to normal weapons.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't like Belfry farming for two reasons. One, the wait time is annoying and you can't really do anything in the meanwhile. And two, if your main objective is just getting chunks, it pays for you to get summoned, then dick around until another person is summoned and 2v1 the host. So to meet your primary objective (chunks) in the most efficient possible way, you have to wait a lot then be a super lame 2v1 PvPer.

Darkwraiths on the other hand, were very fun to fight. I wish there was a bonfire a little closer, but it still wasn't too bad getting to them. And once you got to them, they were very vulnerable to parry/riposte and backstabs, while being weak to fire, so you could effectively farm them at any level of offensive stats by making a fire weapon. Plus they were worth a good chunk of souls, so you got soul farming and chunk/slab farming done at the same time.

Really, I just wish they had a Frampt style "chew up a slab spit out 5 chunks" type thing in DkS 2. I thought that was a very elegant system in the first game, where you only had to farm top tier materials and could turn them into lower tier stuff.
2v1 is the whole point of the belfries! And farming darkwraiths for slabs was one of the worst things about 1. I'll take a lack of chunks until end game over that.

v1perz53

2v1 is the whole point of the belfries! And farming darkwraiths for slabs was one of the worst things about 1. I'll take a lack of chunks until end game over that.

Psh, you never really needed to have a slab in Dark Souls 1, the difference between a +14 and a +15 was small. You only had to farm Darkwraiths if you were anal enough to really need to have all your stuff at max (like I was). Anyway, Darkwraith farming was fun, they were fun to fight! Compared to lack of chunks in DkS 2, the difference between a +6 weapon before chunks and a +9 weapon after chunks is massive and can really hurt weapon experimentation during the game.

Also, nothing is more satisfying in Belfry Luna then rushing to the top level before getting invaded and clearing it out, then great club 2HR2ing an invader as they come up the ladder to the top. Bonus points if you knock them back down.

Zocano

Since when is there a lack of chunks in Dark Souls 2?

They sort of set it up so that you can get at least one, maybe two, weapons to +10 by Drangleic Castle and once you finish up Undead Crypt you can buy an infinite amount of them.

They're pretty easy to get.

Dragon Bone and Twinkling Titanite are a different story, though.

They sort of set it up so that you can get at least one, maybe two, weapons to +10 by Drangleic Castle and once you finish up Undead Crypt you can buy an infinite amount of them.

The problem I have with chunks is that the proportion of chunks to slabs is just weird. I get a huge amount of slabs from just regular play, but I'm always having to buy or farm chunks later in the game.

But yeah, certainly not the same as Dragon Bone or Twinkling.

Mistel

Banned

Post nashandra is when infinite amounts are two of the most reliable sources have it as random drops. There's only 7 that are guaranteed but you've got to find them. Plus it's a durability and build factor you may only need 6 someone might need 12 even more maybe.

The hand needle rapists in Black Gulch are a good source to farm chunks if you want. The boss there is pretty much a cake walk, so you get the added bonus of lots of souls.

v1perz53

There is a crazy lack of chunks in Dark Souls 2, especially when you factor in that armor has to be upgraded too. And you only get unlimited Chunks from chloanne after killing Nashandra, which is way after finishing up to undead Crypt. I always had way more Twinkling and dragon bones than chunks, especially given you can farm twinkling in amana. But you need so many more chunks than twinkling or dragon bones on a regular character. Plus, all the sources of chunks have a worse droprate than amana has for twinkling. Tseldora and Doors of Pharros are terrible, and Black Gulch has such few mobs in NG.

The main problem is that you have no good source of Chunks until you kill Nashandra, which is basically the end of the game. Even with aescetics, chunks boil down to waiting long durations to Belfry or farming low drop rates. At least with Dragon bones and Twinkling, you can keep using aescetics on the Dragon Aerie and get as much as you want, and even more so if you have the DLC. For chunks, you need to have beaten the main game before you are allowed to experiment with weapons.

The hand needle rapists in Black Gulch are a good source to farm chunks if you want. The boss there is pretty much a cake walk, so you get the added bonus of lots of souls.

The bonfire that respawns the hand things doesn't even respawn the rotten, so you don't need to deal with him at all. Plus, if you use fire arrows/bolts on the tar pits it will burn the hands without them ever coming out, so it is really simple to farm even at bonfire intensity 99, you don't have any risk of dying. But the major issue is the 5% drop rate with all item find gear on, a full 15 round clear of the hands would net me maybe 10 chunks. I did this for a long ass time my first playthrough.

Top Bottom