• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Dex builds were heavily the majority in DkS 1. In DkS 2, however, it seems almost everyone I know of went for Str this time

The reason for that is because of high poise damage in DaS2, its easy to spam one handed R1 attacks with great swords like claymore. If a hit connects to the opponent he gets stunned for sure, and then after its only mashing R1 3-4 time to sum a great damage.

Mistel

Banned
Would came up with these numbers? Like I just need 30 dragon scales to max that but I need 1000 for the ring of thorns +2.
Holy shit. I didn't even know some item had an idiotic requirement like that. That's impossible to get during normal play. Devs plz, stop with the stupidly high numbers.

Edit: Same with Thorns, except in reverse. How horrifying.
Yeah they're very high requirements for the two of them. I'm not even sure I've ever had more than 100 let alone 1000 invasions.

And the requirements for brotherhood covenant lvl 3 was unfare too. 500 wins-loses count in arena. That really forced many players to chug eustus, use dirty tactics and what not. What a way to ruin online play. DaS covenant systems used to give more freedom to players. :(

strafer

That moment when you casually playing and enter a fog gate only to be surprised with a boss battle with 3 skeletons.

Let's just say I wasn't prepared.

Also, nice to fight some good ol skeletons for a change.

v1perz53

That moment when you casually playing and enter a fog gate only to be surprised with a boss battle with 3 skeletons.

Let's just say I wasn't prepared.

Also, nice to fight some good ol skeletons for a change.

Ahh Skeleton Lords, an example of a multi boss fight done well. One piece of advice without spoiling anything about how the fight works, take it slowly and methodically, don't go crazy swinging around wildly.

Mistel

Banned
Ahh Skeleton Lords, an example of a multi boss fight done well. One piece of advice without spoiling anything about how the fight works, take it slowly and methodically, don't go crazy swinging around wildly.
I wouldn't exactly say it's done that well just less of an offender than say lost sinner for example.

v1perz53

I wouldn't exactly say it's done that well just less of an offender than say lost sinner for example.

I actually think Skeleton Lords is almost perfect as a multi encounter, if not
a little too easy
. Heavy spoilers follow just in case strafer wants to go in as blind as possible.

The fight gives you time to get one of the Lords down right from the start before they activate, so you can already get the numbers down to a more fair level. One Lord is pure ranged with easy to dodge spells, and doesn't cast fast so that you never get stunlocked to death. And you can use the terrain to get distance from the Melee lords and heal or separate them. Even the skeleton adds that come spawn one at a time so you can focus them down if you are prepared, and can be effectively separated using the arena's terrain. The fight ends up being a little on the easy side, but it doesn't suffer at all from having multiple enemies, and gives you proper tools to manage them as well as designs the enemies such that they give you openings to deal with other threats.

Mistel

Banned
I actually think Skeleton Lords is almost perfect as a multi encounter, if not a little too easy.
That's the main problem with it relies on using the skeletons as summons and tying them to the health bar. The lords themselves aren't strong enough to even put up much of a fight which does tarnish the experience.
Is there anyway to farm Pharros Lockstone or unlock a merchant with unlimited?
Rat covenant will give you them for defeating grey spirits or royal rat authority four other rats drop them and they can be farmed.

I have a couple questions.

1. When you summon someone into your world, the boss gets increased health and defenses, even if you black crystal the person out before entering the fog, correct? What about if you do that, then quit and load back in, will that make the bosses health and def go back to normal?

2. Should I fight Sir Alonne solo like an honorabru man but have a shamefur dispray, or summon someone to help me and be most dishonorabru?

Mistel

Banned
When you summon someone into your world, the boss gets increased health and defenses, even if you black crystal the person out before entering the fog, correct? What about if you do that, then quit and load back in, will that make the bosses health and def go back to normal?
It goes back to what it was before you summoned them off the top of my head once you black crystal them. If not saving and reloading will do it for sure.

Ruuppa

Is there anyway to farm Pharros Lockstone or unlock a merchant with unlimited?

Unless you want to open every single door in Doors of Pharros and Grave of Saints, you'll find more than enough Lockstones for every other lock. If you do want to open them, just join the Rat Covenant and gank, gank, gank!

2. Should I fight Sir Alonne solo like an honorabru man but have a shamefur dispray, or summon someone to help me and be most dishonorabru?

Solo, bow to him, don't heal, don't use chees-hahaha, seriously, do whatever. If you feel like you can dodge/block him, do him solo. If you can't, summon. He's a hard dude, there's no shame in summoning there.

1. When you summon someone into your world, the boss gets increased health and defenses, even if you black crystal the person out before entering the fog, correct? What about if you do that, then quit and load back in, will that make the bosses health and def go back to normal?

1.- Yeah, it reverts the boss properties to normal if you do that, some players summon npcs to clear the boss path, send them to theirs homes, quit and reload near of the boss fog gate

2.- It depends or your playstyle, casters and heavy armor players have a hard time dealing with him

NEO0MJ

Don't you fucking dare summon people during this fight! Sir Alonne should be fought solo. It's an act of ultimate dishonor to summon people to help you with this fight. This isn't the god damn flexile sentry you're fighting, it's Sir Alonne! If you didn't know he's a samurai, they have a code of honor.

I'm half-joking above. I really think he should e fought solo, as it's one of the best fights in the series. Give it a few tries before summoning help.

Funny thing is I just helped someone fight him today. There was a strange glitch happening (probably because of our bad connection) where Sir Alonne seemed to be fighting the air, it was pretty funny.

It goes back to what it was before you summoned them off the top of my head once you black crystal them. If not saving and reloading will do it for sure.

Hm, I always though they retain it even if you Black Crystal em out. I might test this on an easier boss with a friend another time to be sure. For now though I'll play it safe and quit and reload, thanks :p.
Solo, bow to him, don't heal, don't use chees-hahaha, seriously, do whatever. If you feel like you can dodge/block him, do him solo. If you can't, summon. He's a hard dude, there's no shame in summoning there.

Yeah true. I felt shameful for summoning for Fume, but it felt better than the rage I had by not being able to beat him. Plus the shame wore off might do it for Sir Alonne if I give up. I like what he does if you take zero damage from him and you kill him.

1.- Yeah, it reverts the boss properties to normal if you do that, some players summon npcs to clear the boss path, send them to theirs homes, quit and reload near of the boss fog gate

2.- It depends or your playstyle, casters and heavy armor players have a hard time dealing with him

Yeah I'm heavy, I've depended a lot on my armour, while I can dodge somewhat decently I end up messing up and then it just goes down hill from there. I might try to find the best phy def of armour I have and try to be in a 39% weight to get really good stamina regen and rolling further and such.

Ruuppa

Funny thing is I just helped someone fight him today. There was a strange glitch happening (probably because of our bad connection) where Sir Alonne seemed to be fighting the air, it was pretty funny.

He's surprisingly glitchy. I've had him stand still for dozens of seconds multiple times now, just taking a beating. Peculiar. I think it's only happened in coop though, and I have a crap connection, so must be latency.

chunk3rvd

RNG is such a crazy thing at times. Spent hours farming out Drangleic Castle and Iron Keep for a Blacksteel Katana with full item equip gear and rusted coins and didn't get a single drop. My build was based around dual wielding this weapon so I was pleased when we got one in the Majula chest at least and hoped I'd be able to get another drop in NG+. Just did one run through the memory of Sir Allone and had 2 more Katanas drop in the first room :s Won't complain as it means I can play with dark infusion on one and take the other 2 to normal +10! :)

Mistel

Banned
Hm, I always though they retain it even if you Black Crystal em out. I might test this on an easier boss with a friend another time to be sure. For now though I'll play it safe and quit and reload, thanks :p.
It wouldn't make sense for it to work like that with only one person its accounting for the phantom present not for after when they've left.

It wouldn't make sense for it to work like that with only one person its accounting for the phantom present not for after when they've left.

I suppose, but I figured it was based off the number of phantoms you summoned in the area rather that the ones present. In DaS1 if you summoned two phantoms then black crystaled them out, you wouldn't see any summon signs until you quit and loaded again, not sure if the same happens in DaS2. It would suck if it did work like that and the two phantoms you summoned left before the boss heh.

Don't you fucking dare summon people during this fight! Sir Alonne should be fought solo. It's an act of ultimate dishonor to summon people to help you with this fight. This isn't the god damn flexile sentry you're fighting, it's Sir Alonne! If you didn't know he's a samurai, they have a code of honor.

I'm half-joking above. I really think he should e fought solo, as it's one of the best fights in the series. Give it a few tries before summoning help.

I just hate the gauntlets so much. They hurt me so badly, I basically made it to him and had 0 of my 12 estus left :(.

Ruuppa

I just hate the gauntlets so much. They hurt me so badly, I basically made it to him and had 0 of my 12 estus left :(.

You can run past them all. The first group doesn't follow you down the hole, and the second doesn't follow you to the fogdoor. The archers might take some potshots from the stairs, but you can heal and buff there in relative safety. Could be a bit harder with a heavy armor guy, but doable. Pack a Warmth so you don't need to Estus.

Mistel

Banned
I suppose, but I figured it was based off the number of phantoms you summoned in the area rather that the ones present. In DaS1 if you summoned two phantoms then black crystaled them out, you wouldn't see any summon signs until you quit and loaded again, not sure if the same happens in DaS2. It would suck if it did work like that and the two phantoms you summoned left before the boss heh.
I don't see how that would have any correlation between the two things personally.
I heard you can fine a well known visited merchant there
With a bit of cheeky innuendo...

I don't see how that would have any correlation between the two things personally.

Well, I figured if that happens the game still registers that there are phantoms in your world(even if there aren't) and as such would still increase the bosses health and def. Kinda difficult to explain my train of thought :/

Mistel

Banned
Oi!... Mind yer manners!
"I'll provide whatever service you need. For a fair price, of course!"
Well, I figured if that happens the game still registers that there are phantoms in your world(even if there aren't) and as such would still increase the bosses health and def. Kinda difficult to explain my train of thought :/
I'm not even sure how you got to that in the first place really. Maybe it's just the way the seperation crystal works.

ElFly

Great lore videp about what was mistranslated into English and how it may have mixed up the story.

Dark Souls 2 Lore ► Found in Translation: http://youtu.be/7HvCrnMZJCA

Seems the biggest problems are about the giants.

-The giants came to Drangleic "to seek that which sits on Drangleic". So maybe the Giants are trying to steal something from Drangleic instead of the other way around?

-Giant Kinship -> Resonance of the Giants. I had the suspicion that it was a typo and it was Kingship, but seems Kinship was just an over zealous translation of resonance

-There's some subtlety about the throne being implied to be magical in english, but not in japanese but I didn't get it.

The other biggie is the Herald guiding you "there" is referring to the projections' (bunshins) that are in Majula and Drangleic and the Crypt, and that the real one is the one in the Aerie. And that the old lady in the intro maybe is not the Herald.

e: oh the memories of jeigh are actually memories of giant jeigh. so that clears it is memories of giants.

AppleMIX

I actually got a quick question (DLC).

What bonfire is sir alonne tied to? Giants Memory or the One right outside the memories entrance.

Several people have achieved level 838.

Already? They musta done lots of PvP or like abuse the Giant Lord bonfire, jeeze.

"I'll provide whatever service you need. For a fair price, of course!"

I'm not even sure how you got to that in the first place really. Maybe it's just the way the seperation crystal works.

Her prices are far from fair, I think she's just discriminating against my ugly character who also happens to be very overweight.
I'll try again, if not I give up D:. I figured that since you're unable to summon someone after you black crystal two summons the game still registers that you summoned two people, and thus you can't summon anyone else as the two summon slots are filled. I figured if that's the case it would be the same with bosses, the game still registers that you had two summons and buffs the boss accordingly.

Already? They musta done lots of PvP or like abuse the Giant Lord bonfire, jeeze.

Somebody on /r/darksouls2 did the math, and you can reach max level after about 24 hours farming the Giant Lord. Seems to be the fastest way without hacking.

I'd say about 300 of those levels will give you such minimal gains that you would hardly see any difference in PVP or PVE.

Mistel

Banned

Her prices are far from fair, I think she's just discriminating against my ugly character who also happens to be very overweight.
I'll try again, if not I give up D:. I figured that since you're unable to summon someone after you black crystal two summons the game still registers that you summoned two people, and thus you can't summon anyone else as the two summon slots are filled. I figured if that's the case it would be the same with bosses, the game still registers that you had two summons and buffs the boss accordingly.
Yeah it don't take long with giant lord farming with 507,882 souls at max intensity with soul boosting gear. Not with you on that whole summons were there means boss is calibrated for their presence as the black crystal doesn't actually prevent summons.

AngryMoth

Just come home after been away for 5 days. About to have an early night when I think to myself "wait, didn't the last dark souls dlc come out on the 24th?" *hype balloon inflates* Giddy excitement ensues as I rush downstairs expecting a long night of souls goodness only to find out....that it was delayed until next week *hype balloon deflates and flies around making a fart sound*

v1perz53

Don't have either of the DLC. Can I in any way invade or be summoned to these new areas?

Yea, if you put down a summon sign in the room you teleport to after Old Iron King or Rotten (after interacting with the snake statue thing) you can be summoned to someone else's game who has the DLC and can see what it is like. Not sure if you can invade the DLC without it though.

At least, I think that is where you put your summon sign. I know you can be summoned to the DLC without it, but I'm not 100% on the sign placement.

Been doing a magic only run for the first time. I pretty much never use magic in Souls games, but I've been having fun with it. I still greatly prefer melee, but it's been an entirely new facet of the game for me to explore. Which is really fun.

Exr

Thanks for the responses guys. Really curious about the DLC2...the narrow spaces make my heavy weapons guy happy.

Top Bottom