• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I pretty much respecced into a DEX build and I gotta say, katanas are so much more fun to use. Aiming to use the Washing Pole because it looks badass as fuck, sticking with Blacksteel Katana for the time being.

Also: Throne Watcher Armour + Gloves with the rest being the Alva set is sexy as fuck. Just wish From would fix the chain clipping through the dress part all the time :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I need a sanity check on this one: the three DLC areas were all... better than anything in the main game, I think? Am I just being unfair or misremembering?

The whole run from the elevator beside the broken bridge through the lower garrison area and onward was the most fun I've had with a Souls game in a while. Fuck that Hexer, though.

Zocano

I need a sanity check on this one: the three DLC areas were all... better than anything in the main game, I think? Am I just being unfair or misremembering?

I'd definitely say so.
I'd also say they were better than anything in Dark Souls 1 barring Sen's.

I'd definitely say so.
A spoiler tag won't save you!

I installed the update and didn't get the key to the DLC. When I try to open the door, it just says "closed". I restarted the game like ten times but still don't have the key in my inventory. Did this happen to anyone else, any idea what I can do?
I got this too last night. I wasn't signed in at the time though (PSN), thought it was just that and turned it off.

Was going to give it another go tonight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd definitely say so.

It's hard for me to imagine an area ever being more enjoyable than the Undead Burg and Parish. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Try Boletaria 1-1 and 1-2, then come back to me.
I like 1-1 and 1-2 (although I wouldn't consider 1-2 a standout), but I feel like Dark Souls did Boletaria but better. ;)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I pretty much respecced into a DEX build and I gotta say, katanas are so much more fun to use. Aiming to use the Washing Pole because it looks badass as fuck, sticking with Blacksteel Katana for the time being.

Also: Throne Watcher Armour + Gloves with the rest being the Alva set is sexy as fuck. Just wish From would fix the chain clipping through the dress part all the time :(

Katanas are for assholes

I have 3 maxed

Zocano

I like really generic castles too much and the burg/parish just felt like a worse version of that. Unless you mean Anor Londo = Boletaria in which case, again, I just like the aesthetic more of Boletaria. Also Anor Londo felt too empty for me. I liked how Boletaria felt like it was still in the middle of collapse, effectively, and there was a lot more atmosphere for me because of it.

Anor Londo kind of blows its load with the opening shot.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I like really generic castles too much and the burg/parish just felt like a worse version of that. Unless you mean Anor Londo = Boletaria in which case, again, I just like the aesthetic more of Boletaria. Also Anor Londo felt too empty for me. I liked how Boletaria felt like it was still in the middle of collapse, effectively, and there was a lot more atmosphere for me because of it.

Anor Londo kind of blows its load with the opening shot.

I meant Undead Burg versus 1-1, but I'll happily play either level, honestly. I have fantastic memories of both and they both remain absurdly enjoyable when I replay them.

I like 1-1 and 1-2 (although I wouldn't consider 1-2 a standout), but I feel like Dark Souls did Boletaria but better. ;)

Really, 1-3 was the best if you had a good sound system. Just hearing the crows amidst the corpses and the fact that the place looks like it's been absolutely ruined makes it seem absolutely perfect.

Neither are a patch on 3-2, though.

Mistel

Banned
I installed the update and didn't get the key to the DLC. When I try to open the door, it just says "closed". I restarted the game like ten times but still don't have the key in my inventory. Did this happen to anyone else, any idea what I can do?
The key you have to buy, the update gives you the dlc but only the optional areas as a summon.

Pooya

Beat the guy at last. Didn't use summons for either of boss fights (ng+). It was manageable. I'm not sure if I want to do another one of those 'coop' areas the other 2 DLC had, looks like that's all that is left. The final arena was really great. This DLC was probably best of the 3 to me.

I got this too last night. I wasn't signed in at the time though (PSN), thought it was just that and turned it off.

Was going to give it another go tonight.

I tried online and offline, nothing worked. I loaded my last back up save and nothing. Don't know if I should delete the game data and redownload, there are two files and it doesn't say which one is for the additional content. A google search shows that we are not the only ones with this problem, but I haven't found a solution. Ugh.

The key you have to buy, the update gives you the dlc but only the optional areas as a summon.

Buy where? In game? I bought the season pass if that's what you mean. The keys for they first two DLCs were added to the inventory when you load the game. This is supposed to be same, no?

ilium

undead burg felt really bland in comparison to boletaria imo. you could cut the atmosphere with a knife in boletaria, whereas undead burg was more like... "yeah ok it's an old castle..."
atmosphere is always extremely important to me, so DeS will always have an edge over the other souls games for me.

I liked how Boletaria felt like it was still in the middle of collapse, effectively, and there was a lot more atmosphere for me because of it.

^

I tried online and offline, nothing worked. I loaded my last back up save and nothing. Don't know if I should delete the game data and redownload, there are two files and it doesn't say which one is for the additional content. A google search shows that we are not the only ones with this problem, but I haven't found a solution. Ugh.

Buy where? In game? I bought the season pass if that's what you mean. The keys for they first two DLCs were added to the inventory when you load the game. This is supposed to be same, no?

I had a similar issue for Old Iron King, but it only took a reboot for the key to register. You are on PC right? If so, check the dlc menu and see if the Ivory King dlc is checked.

I had a similar issue for Old Iron King, but it only took a reboot for the key to register. You are on PC right? If so, check the dlc menu and see if the Ivory King dlc is checked.

This happened to me with all three DLCs on Steam. The boxes were checked, so I unchecked them, closed the window, opened it back up, and checked it manually. That worked for me.

I think this DLC has the best level design in the game - followed by the worst.
Still rather great overall.

Sothpaw

I have a SL 202 faith build but I am kinda looking to respec for this DLC. I have completed the main game and the first 2 DLC's (still on NG). Anyone have any recommendations for a strong build (stats and weapons)? I found my faith build kinda lacking in the first two DLC's.

ilium

I just noticed that i have sinner status. Must've happened while playing ivory Kong. Any idea what happened? Can't remember killing any NPCs...

ElTopo

Banned
I have a SL 202 faith build but I am kinda looking to respec for this DLC. I have completed the main game and the first 2 DLC's (still on NG). Anyone have any recommendations for a strong build (stats and weapons)? I found my faith build kinda lacking in the first two DLC's.

I'm surprised you made it that far with a Faith build.

Mistel

Banned
Kings ultra greatsword yould be a good choice strike damage with A/E/B scaling and 315/315 split. Build wise 50FTH, 50STR, and 50 VIT, with approprite ATT, END and ADP as needs be.
I just noticed that i have sinner status. Must've happened while playing ivory Kong. Any idea what happened? Can't remember killing any NPCs...
You invade and kill anyone?

Sothpaw

Kings ultra greatsword yould be a good choice strike damage with A/E/B scaling and 315/315 split. Build wise 50FTH, 50STR, and 50 VIT, with approprite ATT, END and ADP as needs be.

Appreciate the recommendation. Going to build it when I get home from work.

Edit: Damn, I think I used that soul for the kings shield.

Mistel

Banned
Appreciate the recommendation. Going to build it when I get home from work.

Edit: Damn, I think I used that soul for the kings shield.
Get a fume ultra greatsword then that maxed infused with lightning is 270/331 split with B/E/B scaling but you need to invest points in to DEX to 30 to meet the minimum requirements. A lightning smelter hammer is another good choice 315/308 split with B/B scaling need 70 STR to single hand though.

If you want something a bit faster a drakekeeper's warpick it's a fast great hammer with a large reach and halberd moveset with a 294/294 spilt with B/B scaling. Archdrake mace is the same thing but far far lighter at 6.0 units bit weaker at 175/175 but still got decent scaling with B/E/B. The gargoyle bident would be good too it's got B/B scaling with 182/182 split long reach and deals strike damage.

Sothpaw

Get a fume ultra greatsword then that maxed infused with lightning is 270/331 split with B/E/B scaling but you need to invest points in to DEX to 30 to meet the minimum requirements. A lightning smelter hammer is another good choice 315/308 split with B/B scaling need 70 STR to single hand though.

If you want something a bit faster a drakekeeper's warpick it's a fast great hammer with a large reach and halberd moveset with a 294/294 spilt with B/B scaling. Archdrake mace is the same thing but far far lighter at 6.0 units bit weaker at 175/175 but still got decent scaling with B/E/B. The gargoyle bident would be good too it's got B/B scaling with 182/182 split long reach and deals strike damage.

Thank you! Glad to put that hard earned Fume soul to use. And if I don't like you gave plenty of other options.

Ruuppa

It wasn't easy :/

So what's good nowadays? 40 End 40 Dex with a max katana? I read that the new hex Dark Dance is good as well?

What's good depends on what you're using it for: PVE or PVP. Storm's recommendations are damn good for PVE, but bighuge weapons like that can leave you horribly open for counters in PVP. The Warpick, Archdrake Mace and Gargoyle Bident are faster, and you rarely see them in PVP, so they're pretty swell.

I'd like to give a shout-out to the common Straightswords: Fume Sword(not the Ultra Greatsword) is bloody excellent, as are the Longsword and Black Dragon Sword. Fume has excellent reach and good moveset, Longsword has amazing moveset, and the Black Dragon only needs the bare minimum stats to work, since it has no scaling on anything. None of them has bighuge damage though, so that's their downside.

Sothpaw

What's good depends on what you're using it for: PVE or PVP. Storm's recommendations are damn good for PVE, but bighuge weapons like that can leave you horribly open for counters in PVP. The Warpick, Archdrake Mace and Gargoyle Bident are faster, and you rarely see them in PVP, so they're pretty swell.

I'd like to give a shout-out to the common Straightswords: Fume Sword is bloody excellent, as are the Longsword and Black Dragon Sword. Fume has excellent reach and good moveset, Longsword has amazing moveset, and the Black Dragon only needs the bare minimum stats to work, since it has no scaling on anything. None of them has bighuge damage though, so that's their downside.

Thank you but I don' pvp. On the rare occasion that I get invaded I just suicide. Game is hard enough for me just focusing on pve lol.

Mistel

Banned
Have you fought the Ancient Dragon? If so, instant sinner.
That doesn't count as a sin killing the ancient dragon.
I'd like to give a shout-out to the common Straightswords: Fume Sword(not the Ultra Greatsword) is bloody excellent, as are the Longsword and Black Dragon Sword. Fume has excellent reach and good moveset, Longsword has amazing moveset, and the Black Dragon only needs the bare minimum stats to work, since it has no scaling on anything. None of them has bighuge damage though, so that's their downside.
Red rust and Heide are the best choices as far as straight swords go excluding any of the new ones as I've not got the numbers for them. At 50 across the board heide's got an AR of 410 and red rust has 375 for an AR. Depending on resistances of course for heide which makes the red rust a better choice probably.

No, I'm on PS3, but I got it to work now. First I deleted and reinstalled all three DLCs. Didn't work. Then I just deleted everything, game data, update data, DLC data, redownloaded/reinstalled everything and now finally I have the key! Very annoying but I can access the DLC now.

NEO0MJ

I can see why you would. I'd maybe try bandit torso, engraved gauntlets and vengarl's boots and maybe the faraam helm or thief mask. It's similar to what my caestus lady wears.

I like it, but I think I'll go with my original set.

Rate my fashion souls /QUOTE]

Like Ruuppa said the leggings and helmet seem to clash with the armor's design. Personally I'd go with Targray's helm.

And the twin smelter swords are pretty cool. The colors...

Dascu

Okay, how do I get the reward for having finished the three DLCs?

I've gotten all three crowns, I go talk to Vendrick, but it's not triggering any cutscene. From a wiki page, his dialogue is apparently stuck on what he says when you got only two crowns ("Dark was seen as a curse" etc.). But I've killed Ivory King and I have his crown. What gives? Is it a problem I only went to talk to him for the first time now?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I've gotten all three crowns, I go talk to Vendrick, but it's not triggering any cutscene. From a wiki page, his dialogue is apparently stuck on what he says when you got only two crowns ("Dark was seen as a curse" etc.). But I've killed Ivory King and I have his crown. What gives? Is it a problem I only went to talk to him for the first time now?

Did you get all the crowns in the same NG cycle? You have to.

Guys for the Eleum Loyce when you use it's healing ability, does it lose durability? Does it heal a good amount of health? I want to make sure it's worth it before I spec a bit so I can use it :D.

Did you already beat the game?

Arjen

Finished the last boss, but still need to do the optional stuff. Absolutely loved the level design, wished the main game had the same quality.

So where/when exactly should be Eleum Loyce? I can't wrap my head around it. In the other two DLCs there is still a sort of teleport but I can place them
Shulva is most likely under the Gulch, while the Brume Tower is probably high in the mountains above/sorrounding Iron Keep
. The city itself and miles and miles of snow around it make it almost impossible to place...maybe north from Drangleic Castle? I know the distances are sort of warped but I'd like to make sense of it all.

Another question regarding the lore
why the Chaos was starting to expand..again? Barring the usual "cycle is repeating" stuff (but it didn't seem that the Bed of Chaos was expanding in DaS1), could this event be somehow connected to the Lost Sinner? Maybe in trying to light the First Flame she inadvertedly awoken the Chaos once again
I can't wait for some lore discussion about this.

I think it is way up north, makes the most sense in term of geography. It's likely where Canada is ;).
As for the Chaos I think The Lost Sinner had something to do with it, possibly even the Ivory King, throwing himself into the Chaos may have caused it, unless he did that while it was already expanding...didn't pay too close attention :/

You need Vendricks Crown in your inventory too.

Ruuppa

Red rust and Heide are the best choices as far as straight swords go excluding any of the new ones as I've not got the numbers for them. At 50 across the board heide's got an AR of 410 and red rust has 375 for an AR. Depending on resistances of course for heide which makes the red rust a better choice probably.

AR-wise you're totally correct, but if we're talking PVP damage doesn't exceed a good moveset in importance. Red Rust has the axe moveset, which is slow for a straight sword and Heide.. Well you're right about Heide. I don't like the 1hR1 and it misses out on the horizontal backstep/sprint attack, but otherwise it's neat-o.

Mistel

Banned
AR-wise you're totally correct, but if we're talking PVP damage doesn't exceed a good moveset in importance. Red Rust has the axe moveset, which is slow for a straight sword and Heide.. Well you're right about Heide. I don't like the 1hR1 and it misses out on the horizontal backstep/sprint attack, but otherwise it's neat-o.
It maybe generally slow on the speed side for a straightsword but generally it's still a fast weapon that isn't as hampered by its speed as a say an ultra would be.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
TBH, if they took Sanctuary Guardian and just threw him in, I'd be super happy. He is a great boss. The fight against two of them is the toughest fight in Dark Souls (if you fight straight up). Could you imagine if Lud and Zallen were actually like them? Toughest area followed by toughest boss.
Disagreed. The two guardians are easier than Lud & Zallen, I think. They have wayyyy less HP, for one. And their lunges aren't as insanely fast. I beat them SL1 (solo obviously) but I don't even want to try Lud & Zallen solo...

It's still horrid, and getting the souls inflated my SM by about 2mil. I came really close to just cheating them in, since farming them was not fun in the least.
After over an hour I only got... 8 of those souls.. why the fuck does from want so many grind fests in this game..
Here's a revolutionary idea: don't farm them. Problem solved!

Try Boletaria 1-1 and 1-2, then come back to me.
Why mention Boleteria without mentioning 1-3? :)

You need
all 3 DLC crowns in your inventory AND Vendrick's crown. You need to be carrying them, too, not stashed in the bonfire.

Ruuppa

Here's a revolutionary idea: don't farm them. Problem solved!

I thought about that, but the completionist in me, who's a right bastard, whispered: Do it. Do it for the loot!

And it's less about this one instance, but more about that farming for crap is an all-pervasive theme through the whole game. I long for the days when I only had to farm Drakes for 30 Scales and be done with it.

Top Bottom