• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Here's a revolutionary idea: don't farm them. Problem solved!

How do you suppose one gets them though :p? I gotta tell you, it took me getting summoned 20+ times to get the 50 souls. with Gold Serpent Ring+2 and Mimic Head. That increased my SM by roughly 3Mill and I helped kill the boss like 3 or 4 times. Plus her souls gives you a weapon that heals you with its strong attack, or heal a friendly phantom if you have it hit them.

TnK

So uh, how long are the outskirts? I realized that the less time you take defeating horses, the more they spawn. Till now I have reached the third house. Don't know what lies beyond that.

Two horses spawning on you ain't cool man.

EDIT: Since when can you get invaded when hollow, from a blue phantom too?

Ruuppa

So uh, how long are the outskirts? I realized that the less time you take defeating horses, the more they spawn. Till now I have reached the third house. Don't know what lies beyond that.

Two horses spawning on you ain't cool man.

EDIT: Since when can you get invaded when hollow, from a blue phantom too?
The third ruin is the last before the boss. Head straight out from the ruins, through the door on your right(if you arrived from the ruin with the Pharros spring), and keep going until you hit a chasm. The reindeer will follow you down the path there, but they won't spawn there.

And invading while hollow has always been a thing in DkS2. It's rarer than when you're human, but it does happen.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How do you suppose one gets them though :p? I gotta tell you, it took me getting summoned 20+ times to get the 50 souls. with Gold Serpent Ring+2 and Mimic Head. That increased my SM by roughly 3Mill and I helped kill the boss like 3 or 4 times. Plus her souls gives you a weapon that heals you with its strong attack, or heal a friendly phantom if you have it hit them.

I guess you don't get the loot. But it's not exactly that important, is it? If you're doing something painfully unfun for hours, consider whether the reward is worth it or not...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Disagreed. The two guardians are easier than Lud & Zallen, I think. They have wayyyy less HP, for one. And their lunges aren't as insanely fast. I beat them SL1 (solo obviously) but I don't even want to try Lud & Zallen solo...

Yeah that has nothing to do with the agility stat I'm sure. Definitely Lud and Zallen being hard (the route to them is harder then the boss).

Mistel

Banned
You could just kill her for the soul you do know that right?

TnK

From the beginning you can be invaded whilst hollow in this one.
First time I experience it then. I always thought blue phantoms went against people that invaded? I never really did that in the game, and I don't have a token of spite.
The third ruin is the last before the boss. Head straight out from the ruins, through the door on your right(if you arrived from the ruin with the Pharros spring), and keep going until you hit a chasm. The reindeer will follow you down the path there, but they won't spawn there.

And invading while hollow has always been a thing in DkS2. It's rarer than when you're human, but it does happen.
Wait, so assuming I enter the door to the left, I just get out from the door to the right and run straight ahead?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I thought about that, but the completionist in me, who's a right bastard, whispered: Do it. Do it for the loot!

And it's less about this one instance, but more about that farming for crap is an all-pervasive theme through the whole game. I long for the days when I only had to farm Drakes for 30 Scales and be done with it.

Farming for Slabs means Dark Souls has no legs to stand on in a farm grind bullshit war. These games have always had stupid bullshit farming grind.

Ruuppa

Wait, so assuming I enter the door to the left, I just get out from the door to the right and run straight ahead?

Exactly.
Farming for Slabs means Dark Souls has no legs to stand on in a farm grind bullshit war. These games have always had stupid bullshit farming grind.
Okay, yeah, that was BS. But at least you could get most every item in the game without obscene amounts of grinding, and the difference between +14 and +15 wasn't worldshattering.

But yeah, DkS1 had its own Farming Simulator moments.

Edit: Plus a honorable mention for Soul Memory for making farming even more annoying from a PVP standpoint.

TnK

Meh, outskirts boss are
two cats. Boss is recycled and is exactly the same as the first fight, so I will most probably skip this. Does one get anything of significance when beating them?

Levyne

Banned
Meh, outskirts boss are
two cats. Boss is recycled and is exactly the same as the first fight, so I will most probably skip this. Does one get anything of significance when beating them?

Just the souls, unless I missed a pickup

Zocano

Why mention Boleteria without mentioning 1-3? :)

I actually intentionally left out the others because I was mentioning 1-1 and 1-2 as a direct relation to Burg because they are effectively the "beginning" areas of Demon's Souls. 1-2 isn't required after 1-1 but most tend to do it before trying other worlds.

Jaeger

Once you get 50 Loyce Souls, you automatically gain access to the armor from Maughlin. Her living or dying has nothing to do with it, as far as I am aware.

I got the 50 Loyce Souls, and went up to speak with her and she gifted her soul to me, then ran back to Majula and bought the armor.

Ruuppa

Once you get 50 Loyce Souls, you automatically gain access to the armor from Maughlin. Her living or dying has nothing to do with it, as far as I am aware.

I got the 50 Loyce Souls, and went up to speak with her and she gifted her soul to me, then ran back to Majula and bought the armor.

So if you kill her, and then gather 50 of them, you can buy it from him? That seems weird but okay.

ilium

currently i'm using a sacred chime hammer with 50 STR 60/60 INT/FTH. but not having a good 2h heavy attack is kind of a bummer. rest of the moveset is nice tho.
so i've been thinking about getting the Drakekeeper's Great Hammer (but no luck so far ; ; ), and go 99 STR.

i wonder what would be the best damage wise solely for PvE co op purpose?

Jaeger

So if you kill her, and then gather 50 of them, you can buy it from him? That seems weird but okay.

Naw, you don't kill her at all. You get everything just by getting 50 Loyce Souls. I don't know why people keep saying "kill her". Just farm the souls. lol

Ruuppa

Naw, you don't kill her at all. You get everything just by getting 50 Loyce Souls. I don't know why people keep saying "kill her". Just farm the souls. lol

Oh, I thought you were replying to my earlier question about whether or not you get the Ivory King set if you kill her. My bad.

Mistel

Banned
currently i'm using a sacred chime hammer with 50 STR 60/60 INT/FTH. but not having a good 2h heavy attack is kind of a bummer. rest of the moveset is nice tho.
so i've been thinking about getting the Drakekeeper's Great Hammer (but no luck so far ; ; ), and go 99 STR.

i wonder what would be the best damage wise solely for PvE co op purpose?
If you want maximum possible damage at 99 STR three choices kings ultra greatsword, giant warrior club, and probably a grand lance given its attack speed and thrust/strike nature.

ilium

If you want maximum possible damage at 99 STR three choices kings ultra greatsword, giant warrior club, and probably a grand lance given its attack speed and thrust/strike nature.

but fashion souls! D:

strictly between Drakekeeper's Great Hammer and sacred chime? which would be better?
i really love the chime hammer look, but i could live with the drakekeeper if it's better...

No, I'm on PS3, but I got it to work now. First I deleted and reinstalled all three DLCs. Didn't work. Then I just deleted everything, game data, update data, DLC data, redownloaded/reinstalled everything and now finally I have the key! Very annoying but I can access the DLC now.
I still can't access the 3rd DLC. I'm going to wait to see if they fix this before deleting everything, really annoying. I believe something similar happened with the second DLC too for those who bought the season pass (I got it after they had fixed the problem).

Unbelievable they would fuck up on the same thing twice, or is it.

edit - so I think you still have to download the individual DLC key (free of course) from the PSN store even if you have the season pass? Good grief, I'm done for the night. This DLC has been a pile a shit from start to finish.

Jaeger

The fact that you can significantly damage yourself by getting too close while they're just standing still, not attacking is some real bullshit.

Yea, those hedgehogs are crazy. It's interesting they were really barely used. They are a problem, especially for melee builds.

Sadly this game is about farming
if you want to get the best weapons

The only weapon that you super farm for in the Ivory King DLC is the Eleum Loyce. Nothing else requires any real grinding, outside of Souls norm. I wouldn't call that the best weapon, either. It has an interesting and unique mechanic that is great for Co-Op, but it's not that good anywhere else.

Oh, I thought you were replying to my earlier question about whether or not you get the Ivory King set if you kill her. My bad.

Oh, gotcha. But yea, leave ol' Alsanna alone!

Yea, those hedgehogs are crazy. It's interesting they were really barely used. They are a problem, especially for melee builds.

The only weapon that you super farm for in the Ivory King DLC is the Eleum Loyce. Nothing else requires any real grinding, outside of Souls norm. I wouldn't call that the best weapon, either. It has an interesting and unique mechanic that is great for Co-Op, but it's not that good anywhere else.

Oh, gotcha. But yea, leave ol' Alsanna alone!

I hate the fact if you're just close to em they hurt you, really a stupid mechanic like Smelters 2nd phase.
I got it to help my hosts from dying every damn time. I'm just curious as to whether or not it eats up durability and if it heals a good amount. If it heals a considerable amount I'ma respec, buy 99 repair powders and not give a crap about durability.

I murdered her mercilessly.
I thought she was holding out on me and would drop something nice upon death aside from her soul, if she hadn't given you it..

I still can't access the 3rd DLC. I'm going to wait to see if they fix this before deleting everything, really annoying. I believe something similar happened with the second DLC too for those who bought the season pass (I got it after they had fixed the problem).

Unbelievable they would fuck up on the same thing twice, or is it.

edit - so I think you still have to download the individual DLC key (free of course) from the PSN store even if you have the season pass? Good grief, I'm done for the night. This DLC has been a pile a shit from start to finish.
PC master race! Sorry had to say it :3. If you can clear your cache I'd try that. Not sure how it works on playstation, but clearing the cache on Xbox would delete game updates, perhaps the game updated wrong or something. Give it sometime, or you could just contact them by e-mail and ask what's up.

Mistel

Banned
What about Smelter Hammer? Doesn't it do a nice amount of damage? that is, if you're lucky enough to obtain it.
At 99 STR it's the second strongest with an AR of 690. Giant warrior club is stronger with an AR of 710 weighs less, guaranteed to get it, and higher max damage 520 to 500. The only real issue it has is durability.
but fashion souls! D:

strictly between Drakekeeper's Great Hammer and sacred chime? which would be better?
i really love the chime hammer look, but i could live with the drakekeeper if it's better...
You can look fashionable with those. What would be your INT/FTH for this character?

ilium

At 99 STR it's the second strongest with an AR of 690. Giant warrior club is stronger with an AR of 710 weighs less, guaranteed to get it, and higher max damage 520 to 500. The only real issue it has is durability.

You can look fashionable with those. What would be your INT/FTH for this character?

no they look super ugly :<

current INT/FTH is 60/60 but can always use a soul vessel. soul level is 350 btw

Mistel

Banned
no they look super ugly :<

current INT/FTH is 60/60 but can always use a soul vessel. soul level is 350 btw
Drakekeeper and the sacred charm hammer don't?

Even without the numbers which I'll get to in a sec sacred charm hammer will have the higher AR by far a it's got the B scaling at max for dark BNS giving you extra to work with. AR wise sacred charm hammer is getting about 781 AR compared to about 640 AR for the drakekeeper.

But as it's split damage if you want pure physical you'd get more out of drakekeeper as its not got split damage like charm does plus it has the better moveset of the pair. If you're dead set on these two drakekeeper is probably your best choice.

How's the DLC, SoulsGaf?

How're the bosses? On par with CotIK in terms of quality/difficulty?
Level design?
Any stupid, shitty areas/enemies?

Been giving my PS4 a bit of love recently, but always happy to jump back on the old-gen train for some DS.

KarmaCow

I kinda want to farm up
50 Loyce Souls
just to have everything but I'm not getting summoned at all. I probably need to go NG+ it but I'm not ready to beat the game again for that.

How's the DLC, SoulsGaf?

How're the bosses? On par with CotIK in terms of quality/difficulty?
Level design?
Any stupid, shitty areas/enemies?

Been giving my PS4 a bit of love recently, but always happy to jump back on the old-gen train for some DS.

I find the level deign to be suburb, amazing interior architect all connected with multiple short cuts. The outside snowy looks stunning too. It's quiet difficult in my opinion, but a good type of difficult.
One boss is a rehash of a previous boss you encounter just now there's two. Another has enemies that keep spawning for a while and has the boss come out after, so you're durability is basically broken and you have few estus flasks remaining. However, you find Knights that help in the fight, so there's that. One area is just annoying to do solo, it's basically designed as a co-op area but it is manageable and completeable solo, it just takes a longer time and more effort.
I'd say the bosses are really good, on par with that of CoTOIK, while the level design is more similar to CoTSK, minus puzzles but lots more shortcuts and snow. Some people compare it to a snowy version of Undead Berg.

ilium

Drakekeeper and the sacred charm hammer don't?

Even without the numbers which I'll get to in a sec sacred charm hammer will have the higher AR by far a it's got the B scaling at max for dark BNS giving you extra to work with. AR wise sacred charm hammer is getting about 781 AR compared to about 640 AR for the drakekeeper.

But as it's split damage if you want pure physical you'd get more out of drakekeeper as its not got split damage like charm does plus it has the better moveset of the pair. If you're dead set on these two drakekeeper is probably your best choice.

well the chime hammer looks pretty awesome imo. i just can't get over that silly 2h heavy. it's just so useless :/
but it's the best looking strike damage weapon for me so i went with it. having 185 dark bns was a nice bonus so i could throw in some dark orbs when needed.
but i always felt i could do a little bit better without the split damage so i looked for another great hammer that looks fashionable and Drakekeeper's Great Hammer seems the only choice besides sacred chime for me. everything else just looks so...raw and primitive. not my style ;)
i wonder if i would get a better result without infusing it with dark and just keeping it uninfused? begs the question if 60/60 are needed then. ughh - min/max ; ;

erughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The Eleum Loyce heals such a minuscule amount of health and it takes like 10 durability each time, out of it's 55...unless it heals based on damage you do?

Crown of the Iron King is trash. Garbage encounter design with enemy damage cranked up to 11. Was giving this character Vitality because I wanted to wear the Elite Knight set for fun, but armor in PvE is just so genuinely, truly useless that I need to respec to even have a chance.

Same problem the rest of the game has. They just don't understand how enemy encounters should work. They just throw enemies at you over and over again, and you have no choice but to dodge or back away and wait until the stars align and the enemies attack at the same time, then you can get some hits in. The atrocious Throne duo boss is the epitome of this. It's bad. I've played PvE for 140 hours and it just keeps becoming more apparent how bad it is.

Crown of the Iron King is trash. Garbage encounter design with enemy damage cranked up to 11. Was giving this character Vitality because I wanted to wear the Elite Knight set for fun, but armor in PvE is just so genuinely, truly useless that I need to respec to even have a chance.

Same problem the rest of the game has. They just don't understand how enemy encounters should work. They just throw enemies at you over and over again, and you have no choice but to dodge or back away and wait until the stars align and the enemies attack at the same time, then you can get some hits in. The atrocious Throne duo boss is the epitome of this. It's bad. I've played PvE for 140 hours and it just keeps becoming more apparent how bad it is.

:|

I think you just totally unsold me on this, Snacks. None of the bosses make it worthwhile? No Sir Alonne/Fume Knight tier throwdowns?

:|

I think you just totally unsold me on this, Snacks. None of the bosses make it worthwhile? No Sir Alonne/Fume Knight tier throwdowns?

Iron King, not Ivory. I'm in the dumb cave where your only options are a clusterfuck of zombie knights and projectiles, or run down a hallway of exploding fireballs, and then fighting a buffed Smelter Demon, already my least-favorite boss in the base game. It wouldn't be too bad if not for the damn recycled boss. Really, recycling this asshole? I do not like Smelter Demon. I don't think it's mandatory here either, but this is just reminding me of lots of dumb shit.

Iron King, not Ivory. I'm in the dumb cave where your only options are a clusterfuck of zombie knights and projectiles, or run down a hallway of exploding fireballs, and then fighting a buffed Smelter Demon, already my least-favorite boss in the base game. It wouldn't be too bad if not for the damn recycled boss. Really, recycling this asshole? I do not like Smelter Demon. I don't think it's mandatory here either, but this is just reminding me of lots of dumb shit.

He's optional. However...
killing him gives you a really nice mask that bathes you in water uping your fire resist significantly. I think it has the same effect as those Jars in Iron Keep.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Watcher and Defender are super easy though

Ruuppa

Started a new toon, basic sword & board knight for the first time ever and hot dang. Low SM PVP is the best ever. Been Ratting and Bellkeeping at around 80k to 120k SM, and it's super fun! There are very few options at those levels, so you can't depend on gear, spells or items to carry you through a duel, so your skills are the only thing that matter.

Also noticed that if you have a Phantom for the Gargoyles, and he stays outside of the bossfog for long enough, all the Gargoyles start waking up. It turned from "meh, Gargoyles" to a nice and intense fight.
He's optional. However...
killing him gives you a really nice mask that bathes you in water uping your fire resist significantly. I think it has the same effect as those Jars in Iron Keep.
With that and Flash Sweat, Pyromancy has pretty damn low damage potential against well-prepared PVP'ers. IIRC being wet gives you 300 Fire def, and Flash Sweat gives another 300, for a total of 60% fire res on top of your base resistance.

Top Bottom