• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

AngryMoth

What's this about (item)
loyce souls
and staircases? I don't think I got a single one...not interested if it's just to trade for an item or such.
The more you get the more of the ice breaks on the staircase until eventually you can go and talk to the women to get her souls which makes a cool curved sword. Also yeah, as you get more she gives you pieces of the loyce set. You need 50 for her soul. Also once you have 50 you can buy the ivory kings armour in majula. Took me about 2 hours to farm them, best thing to do is to get summoned

The more you get you get the more of the ice breaks on the staircase until eventually you can go and talk to the women to get her souls which makes a cool curved sword. Also yeah, as you get more she gives you pieces of the loyce set. You need 50 for her soul. Also once you have 50 you can buy the ivory kings armour in majula. Took me about 2 hours to farm them, best thing to do is to get summoned

Interesting, I will have to do some coop. I am glad you don't have to grind it out with the boss still alive in your world, that would be awful and kill the flow.

PranooY

Ok, I got the Eye of the Prietess, but I can't find it in my inventory. Where is it supposed to be? Can I fight Ava now?

Jaeger

Ok, I got the Eye of the Prietess, but I can't find it in my inventory. Where is it supposed to be? Can I fight Ava now?

Yep, you can fight him now.

-

Ring of the Living is my favorite ring, ever. Also, farming for
Loyce Souls
can be tiresome around 38.

Ruuppa

Ring of the Living is my favorite ring, ever. Also, farming for
Loyce Souls
can be tiresome around 38.

Just a little tiny teeny bit tiresome.
50 effin' souls. 50! I finally got them, and now I'm feeling burned out. Farm Souls be damned, who thought that even approached a good idea?

Its worse than the Iron Passage from DLC 2?

WAY WORSE omg you can't not even being to conceive how much worse it is. It's just terrible. To be honest the 2nd DLC had the path of least resistance to the optional boss of the three.

On another note, I just got like 300k souls form selling items heh.

WAY WORSE omg you can't not even being to conceive how much worse it is. It's just terrible. To be honest the 2nd DLC had the path of least resistance to the optional boss of the three.

On another note, I just got like 300k souls form selling items heh.

That bad huh? Gotta bring poison mist and lots of herbs

Ruuppa

That bad huh? Gotta bring poison mist and lots of herbs

That won't really help in there. The best bet is to get naked in the snowstorm and run blindly in the approximate direction of the giant boss-chasm. And whenever you hear a noise, roll, roll, roll like you've never rolled before.

Zocano

Well if you actually approach it as a coop area, it's both manageable and most atmospheric of the three. I really like the environment and the enemies are for the most part manageable.

Having a good sense of direction helps. I didn't have much trouble with the area and found it super fun.

The
Old Chaos
area is just impossible for me, I'm never in a million years gonna beat it. A boss after that ridiculous gauntel, that left me with no flasks and with a broken shield and ring? That's just absurd, and to add insult to injury the game teases you with that white knight who barely lasts a minute before dying. Is that really it? Am I missing something? This DLC is really weird, has a strange feel throughout.

Zocano

The
Old Chaos
area is just impossible for me, I'm never in a million years gonna beat it. A boss after that ridiculous gauntel, that left me with no flasks and with a broken shield and ring? That's just absurd, and to add insult to injury the game teases you with that white knight who barely lasts a minute before dying. Is that really it? Am I missing something? This DLC is really weird, has a strange feel throughout.

Try exploring the rest of the city now that you've been to the cathedral :)

It's possible to beat it now but definitely not intended.

The
Old Chaos

There's 3 other white knights you can find who will then go there and block those portals. The fourth helps with the fight. You can also co-op if you want, up to you. They seem to make some bosses stupidly difficult so you have to be really good, or co-op.

Ruuppa

The
Old Chaos

Having 4 of the Loyce Knights makes the fight a cakewalk. The boss does laughable damage when compared to Fumey or Alonso, or even the kittens in the DLC.

Ruuppa

I actually really loved that bit once you do it the "right" way. Was super fun and the boss is super aggressive, too.

He's super fun when you do it right. If you just go YOLO! into the fogdoor right after you open it, he can feel like a total ganker though. You do get a huge hint before it opens up, so I despair everytime I get summoned there and there's only one Knight.. Listen to the NPCs, people!

Edit: I do hate how easily your weapons break with so many helpers eating your durability though. I hope From would fix that glaring bug, but I have little hope for it.
The run to the knight across the broken bridge was one of my favourite runs in the entire game. Such an enjoyable slog.

So, regarding the Outskirts:
wait in the ruins while the blizzard passes, I assume?

Yes, and never fight in the open. Book it for the next ruins/landmark and fight there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The run to the knight across the broken bridge was one of my favourite runs in the entire game. Such an enjoyable slog.

So, regarding the Outskirts:
wait in the ruins while the blizzard passes, I assume?

Try exploring the rest of the city now that you've been to the cathedral :)

It's possible to beat it now but definitely not intended.

There's 3 other white knights you can find who will then go there and block those portals. The fourth helps with the fight. You can also co-op if you want, up to you. They seem to make some bosses stupidly difficult so you have to be really good, or co-op.

Having 4 of the Loyce Knights makes the fight a cakewalk. The boss does laughable damage when compared to Fumey or Alonso, or even the kittens in the DLC.

I see, thanks, I'll delve deeper into the city then.

He's super fun when you do it right. If you just go YOLO! into the fogdoor right after you open it, he can feel like a total ganker though. You do get a huge hint before it opens up, so I despair everytime I get summoned there and there's only one Knight.. Listen to the NPCs, people!

Edit: I do hate how easily your weapons break with so many helpers eating your durability though. I hope From would fix that glaring bug, but I have little hope for it.

Yes, and never fight in the open. Book it for the next ruins/landmark and fight there.

Does the blizzard ever stop completely? I know it lessens a bit and lets you see more clearly, but it's usually a very short window.

Jaeger

Just a little tiny teeny bit tiresome.
50 effin' souls. 50! I finally got them, and now I'm feeling burned out. Farm Souls be damned, who thought that even approached a good idea?

I hear ya. If it wasn't for the fact that
the Eleum Loyce weapon, and the Ivory King Armor look so PIMP, I wouldn't even bother.

Ruuppa

Does the blizzard ever stop completely? I know it lessens a bit and lets you see more clearly, but it's usually a very short window.
It never calms down completely, no. When the blizzard calms down, look at the next landmark and never stop running to it. Just head to it in a straight line, even when you can't see anything, and you should make it to the next landmark relatively intact. Then you can deal with the reindeer.

Guevara

Wow at the third DLC. I was exploring pretty well, found some locked doors, but never did I imagine:
the interior network connecting all the areas.
Well done.

I just bought the season pass. I go to "view DLC" in Steam and it says it's not installed. Is it automatically installed even though it doesn't say ti is?

I meant that the optional area's from all 3 DLC's are garbage. I didn't like any of them.

Iron passage was the route to the Smelter 2.0. To be honest I didn't find the 2nd one to be as bad, once you clear out the 8 or so mobs int he "short cut" it becomes a lot easier. Way less mobs than the other two, plus there's no stupid fucking annoying invincible to melee poisoning turtle shits.

I just bought the season pass. I go to "view DLC" in Steam and it says it's not installed. Is it automatically installed even though it doesn't say ti is?

Just launch the game anyways. When you load a character you should be given three keys.

Iron passage was the route to the Smelter 2.0. To be honest I didn't find the 2nd one to be as bad, once you clear out the 8 or so mobs int he "short cut" it becomes a lot easier. Way less mobs than the other two, plus there's no stupid fucking annoying invincible to melee poisoning turtle shits.

Just launch the game anyways. When you load a character you should be given three keys.

Yup that worked! Play in any order or what? I need to find where to use these lol.

Yup that worked! Play in any order or what? I need to find where to use these lol.

I don't think you really need to play in any specific order. The Dragon Talon opens the first DLC, the Heavy Iron Key opens the second, and the Frozen Flower is for the third.
The key descriptions give you hints as to where you need to go.

Is there a comprehensive list of items from DLC3 and their location?

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Crown+of+the+Ivory+King

That has everything so far, just click the item name and it will take you to the information page, which includes its location. It may not be fully complete yet since it just came out, but I have everything it shows there. Keep in mind it also shows bosses and such, so if you're the type of person that doesn't even want to know a bosses name, beware.

MG310

I have a little theory about the Outskirts.

It may just be luck but I've found if I don't move at all while the blizzard is stopped and then start dashing again when it picks up I get way fewer Reindeer spawns.

I also don't go into the ruins at all - but run all the way to the right side of the area and follow the wall up, that way if I do get a reindeer it only comes from the left so I'll never get blindsided. I'll fight 2, maybe 3 of them until I reach the cliff and won't have to fight any of the human enemies.

However when I get to the gorge/bridge area I generally encounter between 2 and 4 of them within 2 minutes of eachother.

Also Vengarl loves throwing himself off cliffs for no good reason. Other than that he and Abbess Feeva both seem like pretty viable summons for the run up and the bosses. Happy after most of the Iron King NPCs were pretty useless.

ilium

holy shit the last DLC was amazing!
really liked the layout, the atmosphere, bosses and lore around it.
only thing that's left to do for me now is
the co op area & collecting 50 knight souls. co op area seems kinda fun, no idea why everyone hates on it. and apperently no one bothers to free all the knights for the last boss :<
and holy shit, bed of chaos DD:

also the last manus shard being frightened of vanishing and seeking comfort with the king was all kinds of sweet :3

went into the DLC with a new build, 40 STR 60/60 FTH/INT wielding the sacred chime hammer. pretty amazing, felt good to just wreck stuff. it really really sucks for PvP tho

Mistel

Banned
Yeah

Also what do you think of a lightning infused Nil Greatsword or Ice Rapier?
Nil gains S scaling for elements so probably that.

Green blossoms and great magic barrier shouldn't stack after that self buff patch could be wrong though.

Levyne

Banned
So my thoughts on the DLC sets

Sunken King: This is still probably my favorite of the three sets. I loved the environment and enemies, and despite the (boss)
Gank Squad
being potentially the epitome of what people dislike about DS2, I thought the boss was pretty fun even if it did require most people to sign up some sunbros for help. I really liked the other two boss fights and the puzzle-like nature with the switches and moving platforms was something I'l like to see more of in Souls games. I think it would make an interconnected world like Dark Souls 1 even more engaging. Not only shortcuts and open doors and elevators, but also more platform moving and stuff within the "dungeons". Or the interior areas. And, of course, (boss)
Dragon
fights are always super neat, and the lore of this area was also very cool. The ghost enemies provided a little tension as you went to find their corpse without seeming cheap. Speaking of..

Iron King: I really, really didn't like this dlc. The path seemed to be more straightfoward, 2 or 3 areas where they hide an "idol" item behind a shit ton of enemies or such that nearly make it so that you have to smash it and then corpse-run to where you probably died getting to the totem. It was a similar idea to the ghost enemies of the first dlc, but much less tactfully implemented. Especially frustrating when I had to chase a phantom into one of these gauntlets. It still was fun to overcome these, but running around willy nilly "where is the idol so that I can destroy these guys!?" just seems to be very trial and error. I did like the few outdoor areas of this dlc, and while the enemies popping out of the ground was a little bit cheap, it occured generally in places where the player should expect it. Also, I LOVE the (non re-used lol) bosses of this DLC set. Especially the (boss)
Fume knight.

Ivory King: Falls in between the other two. The area was still fairly straightfoward, but I did luck out a little bit by ignoring both of the non-outskirts boss doors until I had explored the other areas thoroughly, so I didn't have to do a lot of backtracking. I thought the invis-phantoms near the balistae were a little cheap but they were few enough in number that it was pretty clear I needed to "come back later". I really liked both bosses here, especially the first one since it was nice to see another non-humanoid one for once. I really liked the setting near the end of the area, and thought it was really hectic to effectively have (light boss spoilers)
two halves to the fight, the loyce knights and then the Ivory King. It felt pretty damn neat to have me, 2 phantoms, and multiple knights engaging all of the enemies, and then keeping everyone but the sacrificed knights to take on the king. Yeah, having so much help made it easier for sure, but I wasn't talented enough to take on the multi-knights before hand on my own. I loved the set up on the whole fight, him walking out of the flaming gateway was so damn cool.
I hated the extra outskirts area at first. But since I had the upgraded crown by that time, I was able to just keep summoning the npc help and making it to the boss door with both intact. The boss was a little lazy but I still liked it for the same reason listed above. I was happy to see that the minor re-use in this dlc was not occupying a "boss" space.

All in all, I feel like the season pass was a pretty great value. I just wish it didn't feel like 3 isolated levels that are separate from the main game. Obviously it would have been much harder (and likely require pre-planning) to integrate more thoroughly into the main game, but it would have been cool to expand pre-existing sections, and hell, maybe even connect some of the paths that were previously not connected without going back through Majula. But the amount of content is still pretty great for the price.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have a little theory about the Outskirts.

It may just be luck but I've found if I don't move at all while the blizzard is stopped and then start dashing again when it picks up I get way fewer Reindeer spawns.

I also don't go into the ruins at all - but run all the way to the right side of the area and follow the wall up, that way if I do get a reindeer it only comes from the left so I'll never get blindsided. I'll fight 2, maybe 3 of them until I reach the cliff and won't have to fight any of the human enemies.

However when I get to the gorge/bridge area I generally encounter between 2 and 4 of them within 2 minutes of eachother.

Also Vengarl loves throwing himself off cliffs for no good reason. Other than that he and Abbass Feeva both seem like pretty viable summons for the run up and the bosses. Happy after most of the Iron King NPCs were pretty useless.
the summons made Sir Alonne a ridiculously easy fight!

I still think the optional area in the 2nd DLC is by far the worst of the three. I actually enjoyed the Sunken King area and the Outskirts isn't too bad (on NG+ at least) once you know the path. Speaking generally I don't like how those areas are more co-op focused even if the bosses themselves are beatable solo. It makes retrying the bosses a real chore.

As for burning out on the game, I am at roughly 520 hours between the PC and PS3 versions and it's all thanks to PVP. Even though the lag can be really frustrating I just can't get enough of it.

Is the Monastery Scimitar still the easiest weapon to parry with, post nerf? Or is another better?

Also, powerstancing the two Fume Knight swords? Bloody amazing. That powerstanced 2H R2.

burgerdog

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Crown+of+the+Ivory+King

That has everything so far, just click the item name and it will take you to the information page, which includes its location. It may not be fully complete yet since it just came out, but I have everything it shows there. Keep in mind it also shows bosses and such, so if you're the type of person that doesn't even want to know a bosses name, beware.

Thank you very much. I feel like I have a few more items to go and I'd rather clean up the rest with a guide.

I still think the optional area in the 2nd DLC is by far the worst of the three. I actually enjoyed the Sunken King area and the Outskirts isn't too bad (on NG+ at least) once you know the path. Speaking generally I don't like how those areas are more co-op focused even if the bosses themselves are beatable solo. It makes retrying the bosses a real chore.

As for burning out on the game, I am at roughly 520 hours between the PC and PS3 versions and it's all thanks to PVP. Even though the lag can be really frustrating I just can't get enough of it.

I just find the blinding effect to be annoying, and the super white snow burns my eyes, more than the lava of Iron Keep. The reindeer aren't too bad, but I find a lot of the times they hit me when I'm rolling, could just be me though. The boss fight I don't think I can do solo, I've never been good at doing 2v1s, the gank squad I could solo because I did like 1/5th of their health in a single blow. Throne Defender/Watcher lost 1/4 with each Sunlight Spear(I still don't know how i solo'd em on my melee dude, I think Red Iron Twinblade was the cause heh.
As for burning out, I can't stand PvP, never really liked it. Not because I'm terrible at it(which I somewhat am) I just find it to me an annoyance, and it left a sour taste in my mouth since I got invaded and he was a hacker. Also, I always get invaded after dying to a boss, so that added fuel to the already raging fire within me.

Levyne

Banned
I just find the blinding effect to be annoying, and the super white snow burns my eyes, more than the lava of Iron Keep. The reindeer aren't too bad, but I find a lot of the times they hit me when I'm rolling, could just be me though. The boss fight I don't think I can do solo, I've never been good at doing 2v1s, the gank squad I could solo because I did like 1/5th of their health in a single blow. Throne Defender/Watcher lost 1/4 with each Sunlight Spear(I still don't know how i solo'd em on my melee dude, I think Red Iron Twinblade was the cause heh.
As for burning out, I can't stand PvP, never really liked it. Not because I'm terrible at it(which I somewhat am) I just find it to me an annoyance, and it left a sour taste in my mouth since I got invaded and he was a hacker. Also, I always get invaded after dying to a boss, so that added fuel to the already raging fire within me.

Yeah, I went to shielding those enemies because the roll seemed oddly unreliable.

Just hosted my first Fight Club at the Iron Keep bridge. Pretty fun experience and everyone was well behaved.

More fashion souls.
QbANg48.png

Top Bottom