• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

NEO0MJ

Iron King, not Ivory. I'm in the dumb cave where your only options are a clusterfuck of zombie knights and projectiles, or run down a hallway of exploding fireballs, and then fighting a buffed Smelter Demon, already my least-favorite boss in the base game. It wouldn't be too bad if not for the damn recycled boss. Really, recycling this asshole? I do not like Smelter Demon. I don't think it's mandatory here either, but this is just reminding me of lots of dumb shit.

Am I the only one who enjoyed fighting the Smelter Demon? Thought it was a pretty good boss fight.

He's optional. However...
killing him gives you a really nice mask that bathes you in water uping your fire resist significantly. I think it has the same effect as those Jars in Iron Keep.

Plus
Using this Smelter Demon's Soul you can get its unique blue flame sword that is magic based.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Smelter Demon is a fun fight and I dont see how he is bullshit unless you cant roll and have shit pattern recognition.

Ruuppa

My only objection to him is that he's a carbon copy to Smelter Demon, and both have some slightly wonky hitboxes. Otherwise Blue Cheese is a fun fight, and his delayed swings can catch you offguard pretty easily. The gauntlet to him is annoying though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My only objection to him is that he's a carbon copy to Smelter Demon, and both have some slightly wonky hitboxes. Otherwise Blue Cheese is a fun fight, and his delayed swings can catch you offguard pretty easily. The gauntlet to him is annoying though.

Oh Blue Smelter is bullshit because literally all that is different is some of his timings and that he does magic damage. The fact that they not only reusued the boss but didnt give him new attacks, a gimmick or even a different stage is the height of laziness.

Gesture Souls

emote1_by_realghostvids-d81erel.jpg

emote2_by_realghostvids-d81eref.jpg

I wish the DLC had included new gestures, that's a real missed opportunity.

NEO0MJ

That's true. Still, better than cloning a boring boss like the Skeleton Lords.

Ruuppa

Gesture Souls

I wish the DLC had included new gestures, that's a real missed opportunity.

How 'bout them cut gestures, From? How 'bout them?!
Oh Blue Smelter is bullshit because literally all that is different is some of his timings and that he does magic damage. The fact that they not only reusued the boss but didnt give him new attacks, a gimmick or even a different stage is the height of laziness.
Oh you meant the normal Smelter Demon when you said he's a fun fight? Hard to say, since both share the same name. Blue Cheese is bullshit and lazy, but a fun enough fight nevertheless. I'll take him rather than another Bed of Chaos.

Iron King, not Ivory. I'm in the dumb cave where your only options are a clusterfuck of zombie knights and projectiles, or run down a hallway of exploding fireballs, and then fighting a buffed Smelter Demon, already my least-favorite boss in the base game. It wouldn't be too bad if not for the damn recycled boss. Really, recycling this asshole? I do not like Smelter Demon. I don't think it's mandatory here either, but this is just reminding me of lots of dumb shit.

Ah! My bad. And yeah, I feel ya. Iron King had some seriously dumb encounter design. Blue Douche was one of the most laughable things I've ever seen.

So, what's the consensus on Ivory? Yay or nay?

Arjen

Ah! My bad. And yeah, I feel ya. Iron King had some seriously dumb encounter design. Blue Douche was one of the most laughable things I've ever seen.

I loved it, the exploration of the level is one of the best in the series imho

Ruuppa

+
cool bosses
+A couple of really cool armors
+Some nice weapons, with unique effects and movesets
+Really nice aesthetic look for the whole area
+/-
An ending to the Crown -saga, which can leave you annoyed.
-A hard/frustrating co-op area, which is slightly harder than Iron King's Iron Passage.

I'd say it's worth it. You also get a couple of nice PVP arenas, if that's your thing.

Cheers, guys. I'm more just in it for the boss battles and armour sets.

Another annoying gauntlet? Balls. Is it at least partially circumventable by sprinting through like a big wuss? And is the boss at the end one of the better ones?

Had I known Aqua Smelter was waiting for me after that gauntlet, I'd have 180'd like nobody's business.

Ruuppa

Cheers, guys. I'm more just in it for the boss battles and armour sets.

Another annoying gauntlet? Balls. Is it at least partially circumventable by sprinting through like a big wuss? And is the boss at the end one of the better ones?

Had I known Aqua Smelter was waiting for me after that gauntlet, I'd have 180'd like nobody's business.

On your first time through it's really tough to circumvent it. Once you learn how it works, it's a damn sight easier though. You can beeline it straight to the bossdoor, dodging all the enemies along the way, if you know what direction to go to from the start. The boss at the end is quite good, nothing like Blue Cheese.
It's a bit of a rehash, like the twin Dragonriders, but with an earlier boss from the DLC instead. Really fun battle though.

My thoughts on Ivory King.

What a great DLC, amazing setting, interesting lore and lots of challenging enemies.
I've still to explore further and defeat the optional boss, but so far this has been a blast.

Regarding the storyline (spoilers evidently)

I loved fighting
on the "Old Chaos" (Read: Bed of Chaos), that battle as a whole was amazing, and the final boss was a badass.

I think that the ending
of becoming the "true king" is fitting, as since you die and no longer turn hollow, it seems to me that the Bearer of the Curse succeed where Vendrick and the Chose Undead failed, he/she finally broke the curse, but unlike was thought, the salvation came on an individual level instead of a global one. The world will go to ruin and the flame will disappear and the darkness will prevail, but now, there is a supreme lord. The bearer of the 4 crowns (the great souls). For how long will he/she prevail? we do not know.
I think we might see something on Dark Souls 3.
I think as well that the setting of Dark Souls 3 will be quite different, as the world can now advance, instead of falling into the cycle. The Bearer of the Curse can become a force of change.

I took some screenshots, spoilery of course:
Nice textures
Fighthing the boss
The last crown

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Too bad the lightsaber kinda sucks, it's almost like Raziel's Soul Reaver. :) Wonder if someone could make a Raziel cosplay toon... that'd probably be hard.

I'm not sure if I should restart from scratch to fully enjoy the DLC, or just go with my slvl 250+ hex dude. Plowing through the new content might be a dumb move. :(

Sothpaw

I have to say that the Ivory King was really an exceptional DLC. My favorite DS2 DLC by far. I would go as far as to say it is one of my favorite areas in all three Souls games. I wouldn't like the backtracking element in most Souls levels, but I enjoyed it in this particular DLC. Great way to end the game.

SoldnerKei

time to talk about Dark Souls getting an anime!
ok, not really

haven't played much since I got the crown, I have to reach the optional area yet, I found the icy armor from whoever drop its, and the white hood coat from the ladies who dosen't attack you at first, and one set from a treasure chest, loved the hood of that set, totally #FashionSouls material, other than that I haven't seen other piece of the Flower Skirt, I thought it would be a set scattered throu the dlc, such a shame, since you can't combine it that much with other armors :c

My thoughts on Ivory King.

What a great DLC, amazing setting, interesting lore and lots of challenging enemies.
I've still to explore further and defeat the optional boss, but so far this has been a blast.

Regarding the storyline (spoilers evidently)

I loved fighting
on the "Old Chaos" (Read: Bed of Chaos), that battle as a whole was amazing, and the final boss was a badass.

I think that the ending
of becoming the "true king" is fitting, as since you die and no longer turn hollow, it seems to me that the Bearer of the Curse succeed where Vendrick and the Chose Undead failed, he/she finally broke the curse, but unlike was thought, the salvation came on an individual level instead of a global one. The world will go to ruin and the flame will disappear and the darkness will prevail, but now, there is a supreme lord. The bearer of the 4 crowns (the great souls). For how long will he/she prevail? we do not know.
I think we might see something on Dark Souls 3.
I think as well that the setting of Dark Souls 3 will be quite different, as the world can now advance, instead of falling into the cycle. The Bearer of the Curse can become a force of change.

You actually reach the status of Vendrick and the three kings as a "King" so you have time to attemp to break the curse like them or let the flame die before the darkness starts knocking at your door
, so the game is pointless since you are in one of the "eternal cycle"

Mistel

Banned
I'm not sure if I should restart from scratch to fully enjoy the DLC, or just go with my slvl 250+ hex dude. Plowing through the new content might be a dumb move. :(
Even at that stage a hexer would probably be stopped in thier tracks by a few enemies and bosses in the dlc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
=( I'm out of Tokens of Fidelity and no one is summoning for boss battles anywhere but Ivory King and most of the time they dont finish the fight.

Arjen

Dumb question, what are some good hard hitting spells? I've continued an old build that seemed to be an INT DEX build, found and have shitton of spells, but they all suck. What am I missing? Did sorcerery get nerved into oblivion?

Dumb question, what are some good hard hitting spells? I've continued an old build that seemed to be an INT DEX build, found and have shitton of spells, but they all suck. What am I missing? Did sorcerery get nerved into oblivion?

Soul Spear got nerfed but still Crystal Soul Spear is OP, if you want to farm freya.

Crystal Soul Mass is still good if you know where is the time to cast it and Soul Geyser is no longer a Boss killer spell.

Heavy Soul Arrow is good and the Soul Greatsword hits pretty strong and punish rolls.

Mistel

Banned
I recall some nerfs a while back. You should go DEX/HEX with a roaring halberd with a bit of FTH investment you get a wide variety of decent hexes.
=( I'm out of Tokens of Fidelity and no one is summoning for boss battles anywhere but Ivory King and most of the time they dont finish the fight.
You get them from defending way of the blue people from invaders.

Arjen

I recall some nerfs a while back. You should go DEX/HEX with a roaring halberd with a bit of FTH investment you get a wide variety of decent hexes.

Meh I already did a hex build that went towards NG++. Can't stand to see another hex anymore :D

Arjen

Soul Spear got nerfed but still Crystal Soul Spear is OP, if you want to farm freya.

Crystal Soul Mass is still good if you know where is the time to cast it and Soul Geyser is no longer a Boss killer spell.

Heavy Soul Arrow is good and the Soul Greatsword hits pretty strong and punish rolls.

Thanks, found soul sword pretty underwhelming to be honest. Think I'll respec to full DEX build.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

lol im even less likely to be summoned for that

Guys I have discovered the best weapon in the game

Throwing knives

Best ring in the game is...
Ring of The Living.

You don't need to wear the ring anymore it seems to have picked up a bit for me post that patch.

You still do, I'm pretty sure. You don't need to wear the ring for a Blue Bro to help you, but you still need it to go and help a Little BlueBro.

Meanwhile I sold my Tokens of Fidelity to Gavleen heh. I had like 100.

Whaaaaaat
Yeah those golems that come to life when a creatures soul goes to their chest. They attack you in the DLC and have a grab attack that absorbs your souls.

elohel

Is anyone else unable to summon at the moment at the second area of the new DLC?

I can see peoples summon signs but I am unable to some of them and I cannot put down my soapstone

Edit :nm

ElTopo

Banned
Okay, finally got the optional boss. I'll list the strategy in a spoiler (It's nothing special but I don't want to step on anyone's toes).

Easy way to get to the boss:

Once you leave the coffin, look for the sun (can't miss it) and keep it at your right shoulder-ish as you run forwards. Eventually you'll see a wall/snowbank, hug the wall and keep going forwards. There's no way you can trigger Phantoms but Horses can still get you. Eventually you'll come across a slope with a bridge and there's some boxes and body with an item near it.

How I killed the boss. I was wearing the best Heavy Armor (Havel set in this case) with a 3rd Dragon Ring and a Soldier Ring+2 and I was using the heaviest hitting but also fastest weapon I had. Generally I use the Red Iron Twinblade but I wanted something that did even more damage. So I used the Curved Dragon Greatsword. I should also point out that I was dual wielding (And you can get lucky and kill a horse pretty quickly by repeatedly attacking them with a heavy weapon, you can even hit them out of those annoying lightning attacks).

FYI, the boss can still interrupt your attacks even with the Havel Set on.

Basically I didn't change too much on how I played this match. As soon as the 2nd tiger came in, I just whaled on the first one, maybe dodging once. I can't verify it but I think the 2nd one will immediately do that homing ice attack every time. Once I got rid of the first one it was business as usual but the 2nd one does a power up thing. Don't worry, he doesn't have any new attacks, he just does more damage.

Kind of a lame but awesome fight. It's a WAY better optional fight when compared to Blue Smetler.

And with that done, I've completed everything important in the game. 174 hours in Steam. Good job Dark Souls. Now I'm uninstalling it.

Okay, finally got the optional boss. I'll list the strategy in a spoiler (It's nothing special but I don't want to step on anyone's toes).

Easy way to get to the boss:

Once you leave the coffin, look for the sun (can't miss it) and keep it at your right shoulder-ish as you run forwards. Eventually you'll see a wall/snowbank, hug the wall and keep going forwards. There's no way you can trigger Phantoms but Horses can still get you. Eventually you'll come across a slope with a bridge and there's some boxes and body with an item near it.

How I killed the boss. I was wearing the best Heavy Armor (Havel set in this case) with a 3rd Dragon Ring and a Soldier Ring+2 and I was using the heaviest hitting but also fastest weapon I had. Generally I use the Red Iron Twinblade but I wanted something that did even more damage. So I used the Curved Dragon Greatsword. I should also point out that I was dual wielding (And you can get lucky and kill a horse pretty quickly by repeatedly attacking them with a heavy weapon, you can even hit them out of those annoying lightning attacks).

FYI, the boss can still interrupt your attacks even with the Havel Set on.

Basically I didn't change too much on how I played this match. As soon as the 2nd tiger came in, I just whaled on the first one, maybe dodging once. I can't verify it but I think the 2nd one will immediately do that homing ice attack every time. Once I got rid of the first one it was business as usual but the 2nd one does a power up thing. Don't worry, he doesn't have any new attacks, he just does more damage.

Kind of a lame but awesome fight. It's a WAY better optional fight when compared to Blue Smetler.

And with that done, I've completed everything important in the game. 174 hours in Steam. Good job Dark Souls. Now I'm uninstalling it.
I preferred blue smelter, personally.
The route to him was easier, and at least it was 1v1.
Woah, why? Just curious, seems like you got some beef with it :p.

ElTopo

Banned
I preferred blue smelter, personally.
The route to him was easier, and at least it was 1v1.
Woah, why? Just curious, seems like you got some beef with it :p.

Blue Smelter was the laziest goddamn thing in the entire game. Just a pointless boss and the gauntlet (while easier) is still annoying and unlike The Outskirts it's not even remotely interesting.

2nd DLC was pretty bad sans Alone and Fume bosses.

Blue Smelter was the laziest goddamn thing in the entire game. Just a pointless boss and the gauntlet (while easier) is still annoying and unlike The Outskirts it's not even remotely interesting.

2nd DLC was pretty bad sans Alone and Fume bosses.

Yeah it was lazy, and I hated the fight and the fact he was a copy paste with a colour change.
But you want to know what's more lazy then copying a boss from the base game? Copying a boss from the same DLC and just putting two of em in the fight heh. I found the first Kings Pet to be a really good fight, I sucked at fighting him and needed help, but finally a non-humanoid boss fight, plus it was a really well designed fight.
The outskirts just annoy me because the brightness burns my eyes out, and
those goddamn galloping, flying, lightning shooting reindeer.
The first DLC remains my favourite of the three.

ElTopo

Banned
I agree that the optional fight in the 3rd DLC was lazy. But, it was at least a little different (two on one this time) and the area leading up to that fight was not only interesting but entirely new for a Souls game.

Blue Smelter was literally more of the same and had zero purpose. Oh, he burns with magic now, OOOOH! SMH at FROM.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There's no way you can trigger Phantoms but Horses can still get you.
Phantoms? You mean the NPCs? The way you phrased it makes it sound like it's an enemy, but if so I don't know what you mean.

Congrats on soloing the duo, but I don't think I'll bother myself. The boss is super aggressive even one-on-one, I can't imagine trying to deal with one with the other harassing me, especially with the annoying run to the boss too. Meh.

Edit: maybe with a mage it's better, everything's easier with magic, but melee, ugh...

Ruuppa

Phantoms? You mean the NPCs? The way you phrased it makes it sound like it's an enemy, but if so I don't know what you mean.

Congrats on soloing the duo, but I don't think I'll bother myself. The boss is super aggressive even one-on-one, I can't imagine trying to deal with one with the other harassing me, especially with the annoying run to the boss too. Meh.

Edit: maybe with a mage it's better, everything's easier with magic, but melee, ugh...

If you run it solo, the 2nd kitty doesn't aggro as soon as he does when you summon for it. If your DPS is fast enough, you can take care of the first one before the second one can jump in and slash you in the back.

Phenomena

I've just started the third DLC. Have a question.
There are some hooded persons who just sits down. Should I stay out of their way or kill them?

Beat the final boss of the Crown of the Ivory King yesterday; I still need to find the optional areas, but my opinion about this last chapter is very positive. The final boss was amazing and I really hope FromSoft considers to make more battles like that in future games:
Finding four allies through the previous areas -which wasn't an easy task- so you can have a small platoon of knights to fight the boss together... and then I got the chance to summon Lucatiel (she's one of my fav characters in the whole series!) and another player too! It felt awesome!, I know the game is not about that, but having all those allies to help you for the last battle in the game was actually much more satisfying than fighting Lord Gwyn or Nashandra or the Old One.

Also, the story behind that final battle was not open to interpretation the same way others are, you know you'll get the last crown from the king himself, and this time the child of dark involved is not exactly evil just because she was a fragment of Manus, as the others seem to be; she's totally different (something we had seen a little bit of with Nadalia's story) and that exposition to the story made the game better rather than hurting it.

In terms of level design, the areas are quite good: more impressive than Anor Londo, Drangleic Castle or even the Boletaria Castle; the castle was a little bit empty, but it doesn't feel that way because of the blizzard that's assaulting the castle at the same time as you. You know, as if the inhabitants of the castle have to deal with both a blizzard and an invader. Somehow, bactracking is not annoying in this DLC, and I think it's because the areas are fun since there are a lot of different kind of enemies that make you change your fighting strategies often.

I liked the NPC summons and phantoms and I'd like to see more characters like that in future games, yes, there was one guy that was very annoying, but in general I'm ok with all of them.

I wonder how the reception of DS II would've been if all the areas were as good as the ones we saw in The Lost Crowns.

Just did an hour of coop for the final boss. It is sad how few have freed any of the knights. It is about 1 out of every 6 or 7 that have more than just the one. Oh well, it is a great place to grind souls and a fun battle regardless.

I've just started the third DLC. Have a question.
There are some hooded persons who just sits down. Should I stay out of their way or kill them?

Just keep going, it will make sense later and there isn't a choice you make now with them that will make a difference.

Ruuppa

Just did an hour of coop for the final boss. It is sad how few have freed any of the knights. It is about 1 out of every 6 or 7 that have more than just the one. Oh well, it is a great place to grind souls and a fun battle regardless.

There are lots of hosts grinding them for souls as well, and they summon people to help with that. I don't have a problem with that as a phantom, since I need the souls as well and the droprates are better as a phantom. It just seems weird when the host Black Crystal's everyone out after killing the initial waves of knights.

ElTopo

Banned

IN NG++ I had some Red Phantoms in addition of Red versions of enemies.

Top Bottom