• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

There are lots of hosts grinding them for souls as well, and they summon people to help with that. I don't have a problem with that as a phantom, since I need the souls as well and the droprates are better as a phantom. It just seems weird when the host Black Crystal's everyone out after killing the initial waves of knights.

Never had that happen to me. But the joyous feeling I get when I see at least three knights there is magnificent.

There are lots of hosts grinding them for souls as well, and they summon people to help with that. I don't have a problem with that as a phantom, since I need the souls as well and the droprates are better as a phantom. It just seems weird when the host Black Crystal's everyone out after killing the initial waves of knights.

I didn't think of that. I guess it doesn't matter too much, just as long as I get drops.

If I bonfire ascetic the Grand Cathedral, do knights return?

Edit: I had another thought. I imagine a huge chunk of players miss half of the dlc content since they may not bother finding the Knights if they beat the final boss early.

I like how with the second DLC you get punished for exploring, and in the third DLC exploring helps immensely. From, you sly bastards, did you try to discourage exploring in one DLC just to implement it in the succeeding DLC and punish players for learning from previous mistakes ;)?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I know Brume Tower had some annoying sections --- and you pretty much needed a heavy hitter character --- but the actual level design was, for the most part, pretty damn good. The feeling of descending down a giant tower and slowly unlocking more and more of it as you go reminded me of the best moments of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Stumbling upon new secrets earlier on in the level as an unexpected consequence of actions performed deeper in the level is such a rewarding feeling.

I never bothered with the Iron Passage, so that obviously colours my opinion. Also, before I respeced for an ultra greatsword build, I couldn't even make it to the bosses in either of the first two expansions. That's obviously a giant problem. It's indicative of a larger problem with the series, really. Casters and lranged characters have so much less to work with that sword/shield characters.

Sothpaw

LMAO at the corpse run to the two cat boss. Think I might just pass on this one. Can you at least despawn the reindeer?

Anyway Frigid Outskirts gets my vote for worst Souls game area. Still my favorite DLC though considering FO is a really minor, optional part of the package.

ElTopo

Banned
I know Brume Tower had some annoying sections --- and you pretty much needed a heavy hitter character --- but the actual level design was, for the most part, pretty damn good. The feeling of descending down a giant tower and slowly unlocking more and more of it as you go reminded me of the best moments of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Stumbling upon new secrets earlier on in the level as an unexpected consequence of actions performed deeper in the level is such a rewarding feeling.

I agree that the general level design was fine. The problem with it is the enemy placement. It's all just mobs and ambushes. Nothing more than that. Very few areas do not feature these. So many times you deal with multiple enemies at once and there's not much you can do to lure them out. That whole section where you let those bomb guys drop down was shit. FROM just threw a bunch of enemies at us and expect us to use arrows. Terrible design.

And that whole part where a Red Phantom runs away to the bottom of a tower and you get cursed AND there's a heavy hitting enemy who will not die until you stick a wedge into the idol and the Phantom is right there.... Fuck that.

Oh and leading up to two bosses are just gauntlets... Great....

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I agree that the general level design was fine. The problem with it is the enemy placement. It's all just mobs and ambushes. Nothing more than that. Very few areas do not feature these. So many times you deal with multiple enemies at once and there's not much you can do to lure them out. That whole section where you let those bomb guys drop down was shit. FROM just threw a bunch of enemies at us and expect us to use arrows. Terrible design.

And that whole part where a Red Phantom runs away to the bottom of a tower and you get cursed AND there's a heavy hitting enemy who will not die until you stick a wedge into the idol and the Phantom is right there.... Fuck that.

Get trolled. Maldron is a work of genius.

Sothpaw

Yes you can you can even do it in one run due to their spawn mechanics.

OK cool. I can run past them to the boss easily, the problem is that my NPC summons get destroyed on the way there. But I noticed the one time I got them both in, the second cat came in at like 75% life of the first cat. Prob easier just to solo I guess.

So they spawn infinitely until you hit that cut off number? Interesting. I'd make a bet that it's tied to certain spots though.

I solo everything with a Melee build. I don't even summon NPC's. Git gud scrub.

I like being a Havels Monster casul doe. I summoned some guy, he saw my Havels with Penal mask and power-stancing the KUGs and he was just like...Now I've seen everything. I really hate having to summon for help, however, I had to summon help for both bossses so far, plus a summon for Fume. I feel dirty.

No they have finite spawns but can respawn without the bonfire resetting them.

Yeah that's what he meant. They keep spawning in the sense that you don't need a bonfire to make them reappear, but they still follow the rule of stop spawning after x amount of kills.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

I agree with you re: the room with the trapdoor, barrels and giant. That was... poor. Although I always thought that maybe it was a puzzle I just never worked out. Like, the first time you start heading down the tower there's a room -- the one with the second idol --- that's basically an ambush if you approach it head on down the ladder, but can be entered from the back by some sneaky ledge hopping and treated like a bit of a stealth section.

The optional area with the chase... yeah, it was kind of bullshit but it was at least novel. It was memorable and kind of hilarious.

But I won't apologise for the encounter design in the second DLC. Even Shulva/Dragon's Sanctum can be a real nightmare with the wrong character spec, for similar reasons. Again, there was a golden path you could usually take that trivialised the encounters, but it was usually tedious.

ElTopo

Banned
Yeah that's what he meant. They keep spawning in the sense that you don't need a bonfire to make them reappear, but they still follow the rule of stop spawning after x amount of kills.

I think their spawns are tied to certain spots in the zone. I don't know how many attempts it took me but eventually I could get to the 2nd structure without encountering a single horse. But as soon as I get near the 3rd structure horses start coming for me. And eventually I could get to the 3rd structure without encountering them but as soon as I get near the slope the horses come at me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Maldron wasn't so bad, I thought. He's a cheeky asshole, but if you don't care too much about getting cursed, you can stand on a platform above him and pelt him with kunai until he dies, haha.

I don't know how I did it, but with the cursebite ring I somehow managed to kill him and destroy the idol without dying or getting cursed. o_O I used whips, poisoned Maldron with the spotted him and finished him off somehow. I did have to run back upstairs and lure some enemies away one by one (and wait for the curse bar to empty), though. The reviving phantom was a pain, but somehow I did it.

I went for the suicide/ok-fine-I'm-cursed run every time after that, though.
IN NG++ I had some Red Phantoms in addition of Red versions of enemies.
Oh for fuck's sake, From...

No they have finite spawns but can respawn without the bonfire resetting them.
Oh, really? Hmm, how many times must we kill them?

There's a few that are exempt I remember mentioning it a while back.

I didn't bother counting the amount when I did it I think it's toward the high end though.

Usually the ones that game some kind of game mechanic purpose are exempt, for example
the stone soldiers who activate the golems and doors in Drangleic castle spawn indefinitely because if they were to stop spawning and you didn't open the door it's progression halting. Not sure if the stone horsies before Mirror Knight are exempt, never tried to despawn em.

Thought I could cheese an NPC phantom by usin an elevator... Turns out the game gets super glitchy and teleports hits and the invader intermittently and independently... Wtf. Dude had unlimited stamina and spammed R1 about 6 times...

JustinBB7

Farming those knights souls, but every time I go down there now, they don't even spawn anymore. Sometimes 1 spawns, sometimes 2, but last few runs they don't even spawn at all anymore, wtf is up with that?

I'm at 25 souls now so I still need to grind this for ages too.. not getting summoned much because of my insanely high SM now either.

Zocano

Farming those knights souls, but every time I go down there now, they don't even spawn anymore. Sometimes 1 spawns, sometimes 2, but last few runs they don't even spawn at all anymore, wtf is up with that?

I'm at 25 souls now so I still need to grind this for ages too.. not getting summoned much because of my insanely high SM now either.

Yah I got to the point where they aren't spawning consistently and it's really weird.

Also I spent all day yesterday grinding it and I only got 15 souls ): Was doing all the item discovery boosting I could do.

JustinBB7

Yah I got to the point where they aren't spawning consistently and it's really weird.

Also I spent all day yesterday grinding it and I only got 15 souls ): Was doing all the item discovery boosting I could do.

Co-opping seems to work the best, sometimes even get 2 then, but it's a long wait..

I just got annoyed by the constant invaders while waiting to be summoned to farm Loyce Souls. I wish they would just stick with Red Soapstone invasions there.

I hate upgrading a weapon to +10 and then having it be weaker than your current weapon.

Still trying to beat dumbass Fume Knight because it sets its sword on fire and simply goes into one-hit kill mode. Why does everything in this DLC do NG+ level damage?

Ruuppa

I just got annoyed by the constant invaders while waiting to be summoned to farm Loyce Souls. I wish they would just stick with Red Soapstone invasions there.

You can run down and into the
Old Chaos
, and still get summoned. If you haven't despawned the knights there, you can also farm while you wait.

Run down to the Aava boss area to wait if it bothers you that much, can't be invaded there.

You don't even need to go there. Just stand near the fog gate before the final boss and you can't get invaded. Rule of thumb, if your White Soapstone is greyed out, you can't be invaded. You can even just run around and once you get invaded go through the fog gate for the boss, even if you defeated the boss already you can still enter it as if there was a boss and it kicks the invader out.

Are you in NG or NG+? Found out yesterday that I've been lied to all this time. Only NG and NG+ are separate, but NG+ onward isn't. Someone summoned me into a NG++(or NG+++ can't remember) boss fight, we liquefied the boss but it was a challenge since I did so little damage to those damn gauntlets.

That's a bit of an annoyance at times, what did you upgrade and what do you have now?

Still can be invaded I think.

What is even more annoying is when From nerfs your +5 boss weapon into the ground and you are out 15 bones. Seriously screwed up. Hate farming those and so many weapons need them.

Mistel

Banned
What is even more annoying is when From nerfs your +5 boss weapon into the ground and you are out 15 bones. Seriously screwed up. Hate farming those and so many weapons need them.
You had defenders greatsword didn't you?
I upgraded a Mastodon Greatsword, but my strength isn't high enough for it to outdamage the Bastard Sword.
If you put points into STR it will probably out damage it by a far margin.

Mistel

Banned
Lol, and I am still bitter about it.
Knew it lol, you should try a thorned greatsword out it's stronger by a smidge and pretty fun to use once you get the hang of the spears.

Snacks the mastodon at 50/50 will outperform the bastard at 439 AR versus 396 AR. It probably does with your current stats now actually unless your stats are DEX orientated.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Burnt King froze for both me and my housemate when we fought him. He just stood there and let us attack him repeatedly. Weird.

Ruuppa

The Burnt King froze for both me and my housemate when we fought him. He just stood there and let us attack him repeatedly. Weird.

That can happen to multiple bosses in co-op. So far it has happened for Alonne, Fume and Smelter for me. It could possibly happen to any boss, depending on weird latency issues. Blame/Thank the netcode.

Knew it lol, you should try a thorned greatsword out it's stronger by a smidge and pretty fun to use once you get the hang of the spears.

Snacks the mastodon at 50/50 will outperform the bastard at 439 AR versus 396 AR. It probably does with your current stats now actually unless your stats are DEX orientated.

I respecced to use a Dark Crypt Blacksword +5. Have 50 str and 30 int, 50 FTH. I also buff with Sacred Oath and resonant weapon. Dark doesn't seem to scale much more with pumping int up so not sure what would give more damage.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody seems to be helping at the Cave of the Dead or Iron Passage anymore. They're the last things I have left to do. :(

I managed to fluke the Outskirts boss on the first try. Running along the wall to the right makes that area easy. I actually ended up liking it much more than I was expecting based on earlier impressions in this thread.

Top Bottom