• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Parmenide

A bit OT but I just wanted to express my frustration somewhere:

Guys I fucked up. I didn't go to a local expo today because I was too tired... Turns out they had a bloodborne demo that wasn't advertised on their website D:

I'm so gutted right now.

Milan Games Week?

The whole combat system isn't really designed around multiple enemies nor is it any funs. I knew what to do with the sentinels but good lord they where so painfully boring, hit, raise shield and wait for the *perfect* moment for them to attack, repeat.

Multiple enemies outside of ornstein and smough just plain suck, don't have the same excitement, aren't fun and are usually very, very cheap or tedious or both.

...And I would have a much better time with the gargoyles if there wasn't such a high chance to be invaded immediately before the boss fight. Not only am I fighting a copy/paste boss from the first game but a near guarantee invader?
Yeah I do agree with everything you said there.

Personally I always go offline when I go fight the Gargoyles or do the rat covenant areas, I just want to do the area/boss and be on my way. Unless I'm there for pvp it's just tedious and another mis-step in DS2.

NEO0MJ

(And I certainly wouldn't say everything in Dark Souls 1 "made sense". And that's purposeful, really, since they make things vague in order to allow a lot of speculation and interpretation.)

Yeah. I still don't get the relationship between Pinwheel and Nito.

NEO0MJ

Pinwheel is a necromancer who stole Nito's power and is the defacto ruler of the catacombs with it.

Yeah, but what does that make the original Pinwheel we fight? I mean we kill him real early. Was that just a duplicate body? And what about the Pinwheels we fight before Nito, and Nito himself? Or is the Nito we fight have the real Pinwheel hidden in his body?

Arjen

Yeah, but what does that make the original Pinwheel we fight? I mean we kill him real early. Was that just a duplicate body? And what about the Pinwheels we fight before Nito, and Nito himself? Or is the Nito we fight have the real Pinwheel hidden in his body?

Pinwheel is trying to resurrect his dead family. The copies in the Tomb are failed experiments who he dumped there. I'm sure Vaati did a lore video about it.

Mistel

Banned
That's all it tells us about pinwheel being the necromancer who stole nito power, maybe he's weak because he's holding back nito or split himself into the servants. You don't fight him early on either following the linear story progression.

The first one is the original Pinwheel but you never see his real face at all while you are advancing in that area you can find more necromancers (orcs I think) defiling Nito's servants (gravelords maybe) against their will.

After that you can see some loose conections about the darkmoons, Lost izalith, the way of white and probably where they found the original flame and Nito in a state of slumber requiring asistance to regain his power. speculations said he was a co creator of the bonfires system but in the end he took refugie in the catacombs because everything was lost after oolacile and the second flame incidents.

The copies I found them like being his servants that took the entrance to prevent gravelords to save nito.

In terms of gameplay the boss is easy as cake maybe by the progression nature of the game.

NEO0MJ

Pinwheel is trying to resurrect his dead family. The copies in the Tomb are failed experiments who he dumped there. I'm sure Vaati did a lore video about it.

I don't really watch lore videos, feel that the video maker might start proposing their theories as facts.

That's all it tells us about pinwheel being the necromancer who stole nito power, maybe he's weak because he's holding back nito or split himself into the servants. You don't fight him early on either following the linear story progression.

That's what I mean, there's so little info on their relationship. And we go to Nito when making a covenant.

Arjen

I don't really watch lore videos, feel that the video maker might start proposing their theories as facts.

That's what I mean, there's so little info on their relationship. And we go to Nito when making a covenant.

If you're interested in the lore, you should really check out Vaati and ENB. They clearly state when they're speculating, and bring up tons of interesting stuff. Especially Vaati did really awesome stuff on the DS1 lore.

Exactly. They have some some crazy theories (specially Vaaty) I stopped watching them.

Just try to connect the dots by yourself and dont acept the lore videos as a fact because most of them are personal theories.

Hypron

Milan Games Week?
Nah, Armageddon Expo in Auckland, NZ. Did you get to go to that Milan conference and play the game?

Edit: Actually the expo is still on today. I was supposed to work on an assignment... But yeah I guess I can just get less sleep tonight to get it done.

Keinu

Really struggling with Darklurker on my melee build.

Easy in the beginning, but once there are two of them they get me each time. Any suggestions? I tried equipping a pyro flame +10, southern ritual band and use chaos storm when it duplicates, but keep missing...

Mistel

Banned

Easy in the beginning, but once there are two of them they get me each time. Any suggestions? I tried equipping a pyro flame +10, southern ritual band and use chaos storm when it duplicates, but keep missing...
Infuse a rebel greatshield with dark for 100% dark defense strafe clockwise around darklurker and just dodge the fire attacks. Keep staggering it to prevent it from splitting in two makes the fight so much easier.

neoism

that FUCKER is the last boss before I start my NG++ run :( I've fought him/her over 30 + times between my first and second run ... at least I get a shit load of BA's....

Hypron

I read on some wiki that the heavy attack when dual wielding large/great clubs stuns it so you can just keep attacking with that and it shouldn't be able to anything.

Unfortunately I didn't :( btw I heard that it's the same stage demo of TGS.

I just got back from the expo and they had the E3 demo according to one of the guys. It was the same segment they showed at TGS, I'm not sure if it was an older build or something though. I played it 5 times and almost killed the boss twice haha (
the oil + molotov
combo absolutely wrecks it, but I had wasted a couple of
oils
on that playthrough and got killed stupidly when the boss was at ~10% health). I love the transform attacks and the charged attacks, they're very fun to use. But man the framerate was really rough. The boss was like Blighttown 2: this time I'm a boss. Hopefully it all gets fixed before release :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So guys, what level is recommended for Fume Knight? I'm starting to get close to beating him, currently SL 117. I don't think I have leveled since the Dragon Aerie :lol

Edit: This is on NG. I also recently discovered the joys of disabling the in game AA and just forcing it through drivers, didn't realise it was the "Make every texture blurry as fuck" until like a week ago :(. Unfortunately forcing AA breaks the shadows, how fix??? Downsampling with GeDoSaTo?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So guys, what level is recommended for Fume Knight? I'm starting to get close to beating him, currently SL 117. I don't think I have leveled since the Dragon Aerie :lol

Edit: This is on NG

Level doesnt matter really. Just make sure you have enough adaptibility to get 105 agility for those sweet i frames.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Level doesnt matter really. Just make sure you have enough adaptibility to get 105 agility for those sweet i frames.

Oh no, I only have 102 agility! I did respec and semi-remember not getting the ADP stat up to where it used to be, maybe that's why I feel my estus drinking is slower, because it is. I'll co op Fumey a bit for practice and level the stat up a bit.

Edit: Got the AA+Shadows working, just needed to restart the game, odd, they came up as thin black lines. Lord does this game look better with some Adaptive MSAA thrown on. Really helps with the shimmering on the armour. Still get these hairfine strings of black on my character though :(

Edit: This is on NG. I also recently discovered the joys of disabling the in game AA and just forcing it through drivers, didn't realise it was the "Make every texture blurry as fuck" until like a week ago :(. Unfortunately forcing AA breaks the shadows, how fix??? Downsampling with GeDoSaTo?

Get adp around 110 think and you are fine also light armor do wonders to your rolls and dont get greedy, try to ajust your attacks so you have time evade him after your attack. he can recover instantly sometimes

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Get adp around 110 think and you are fine also light armor do wonders to your rolls and dont get greedy, try to ajust your attacks so you have time evade him after your attack. he can recover instantly sometimes

There is no difference in i frames between 105 and 110.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Never once will I sacrifice the fast rolls, I do whatever is necessary to keep my load sub 70% :p. I generally aim to get behind him when I roll so I can get one attack off before he turns around. I think I might be ready to solo the fucker now, just helped a dude out in co-op op and I only got hit twice, I'd be all out of estus the previous co-op attempts.

There is no difference in i frames between 105 and 110.

Its just a suble change of roll animation but you may be right.

Never once will I sacrifice the fast rolls, I do whatever is necessary to keep my load sub 70% :p. I generally aim to get behind him when I roll so I can get one attack off before he turns around. I think I might be ready to solo the fucker now, just helped a dude out in co-op op and I only got hit twice, I'd be all out of estus the previous co-op attempts.

The first phase is always the tricky one to try to figure out his stances and attacks, second phase Fume knight only punish you for trying to kill him faster and some weird hitboxes if he hits from the left .

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Its just a suble change of roll animation but you may be right.

The first phase is always the tricky one to try to figure out his stances and attacks, second phase Fume knight only punish you for trying to kill him faster and some weird hitboxes if he hits from the left .

Haha yeah, I got hit after the attack animation was hit once, other times he somehow manages to completely miss you with it.

Celegus

Kind of random, but does anyone have a good idea for a male Dark Souls cosplay that doesn't involve armor? My wife is making an Emerald Herald costume, so I'll need something to match but armor looks difficult to make. Any cool armor sets or NPCs come to mind?

People with buffed katanas and rapiers healing, R1 spamming you to death, and then doing either the No Way or Decapitate gestures. High Soul Memory PVP pls never change :')

Also, can someone have a go at explaining a weird thing I've been seeing lately? After some fights, usually if they were particularly laggy, I'll check the person's Steam profile to hopefully see where they're from. About half the people I've checked lately only have Dark Souls 2 on their account and nothing else. Like they made a brand new Steam account just for Dark Souls 2. Would I be right in suspecting that these people might be cheaters or perhaps former cheaters?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kind of random, but does anyone have a good idea for a male Dark Souls cosplay that doesn't involve armor? My wife is making an Emerald Herald costume, so I'll need something to match but armor looks difficult to make. Any cool armor sets or NPCs come to mind?

The pardoner's set? Straid?

leather armor maybe?

Cryp dude armor set

xAgdaynes_set.jpg

Astrologist dude armor set

xAstrologists_Set.jpg

Arch drake armor set

xArchdrake_Set.jpg

black leather set

xBlack_Leather_Set.jpg

Chaos armor set

xChaos_Set.jpg

Aldia's workers armor set

xDragon_Acolyte_Set.jpg

Starter armor set

xImported_Set.jpg

The sinner guy set

xJudgment_Set.jpg

Monastery set

xMonastary_Set.jpg

There a more, so much more but I would drown the thread

NEO0MJ

From the original Dark Souls I really like the design of Ingward, who wears the Crimson set. There's also Gwyndlon, who wears the moonlight set.

From Dark Souls 2 I like Royal Sorcerer Navlaan, who wears the Chaos set And Straid of Olaphis who wears the Black set.

Mistel

Banned
You should go as the embedded that'd be funny.

Celegus

I was gonna suggest Xanthous but that would be too outlandish. You one-upped me with the Embedded, though. I can already picture his wife inside a cage with wheels pushing him around.

Haha, not so sure about that one! Thanks for all the great ideas guys, gonna be tough to decide since I love so much of the Dark Souls art.

SRTtoZ

Ok so bear with me. I put about 40 hours into this game so far but never finished it, its been a few months and I have no idea where I left off. Is there any easy ways to tell where I need to be going? I know I'm towards the end of the game but I'm at the beginning bonfire with no clue on where to go.

Also, is the Season pass worth it?

Ok so bear with me. I put about 40 hours into this game so far but never finished it, its been a few months and I have no idea where I left off. Is there any easy ways to tell where I need to be going? I know I'm towards the end of the game but I'm at the beginning bonfire with no clue on where to go.

Also, is the Season pass worth it?

Check if you already can open the black door on the Shaded woods to reach Aldia's keep, if not you sill need to kill the four old ones.

You can check the bonfires location in the the warp menu to see the latest ones you unlocked.

And yes the season pass is worth it but I heard is already gone for ps3( or pc I dont remember)

Gosh, finally finished all 3 DLCs and beat every Boss in the main game except the Darklurker. Unfortunately I tried to teleport out of one dungeon and glitched the Pilgrims of Dark and none of the suggested fixes seemed to work for me.

I was so bad, I had 659 deaths (!) in total in the regular game. =( Sad thing is, I played every Souls game so far but my skills are still pitiful. At least I started NG+ and killed the Pursuer, the Last Giant and the Sentinels in one run without dying once. That's a huge success for me and maybe the tough DLCs made a better player out of me?!?!?!?!?!?! Nah...

Keinu

Infuse a rebel greatshield with dark for 100% dark defense strafe clockwise around darklurker and just dodge the fire attacks. Keep staggering it to prevent it from splitting in two makes the fight so much easier.

I used a Demon's Great Hammer with the stone ring and was unable to stagger it at all. All though I didn't use the strong attack while 2 handing the weapon come to think of it. Could that be it or have they changed it?

Mistel

Banned
I used a Demon's Great Hammer with the stone ring and was unable to stagger it at all. All though I didn't use the strong attack while 2 handing the weapon come to think of it. Could that be it or have they changed it?
It still staggers it's not been changed try the two handed strong attack.

RedSwirl

At the beginning of Submerged King (beat the rest of the game, NG), and I'm about to max out all of my starting gear, so I need to start thinking about what I'm going to upgrade next and eventually replace it with.

For some reason, I stuck with the hard leather set plus standard helm for basically the whole game. That includes the hard leather shield. I made a DEX character and didn't want too much weight dragging him down. I've been able to stay around 40% equip load the whole game and would like to stay there.

My current stats

Started my no death attempt on NG+++. I've got to the Iron King without any troubles so far. Using a +5 Dark Infused Ice Rapier buffed with Dark Weapon. It's insane how fast you cut through bosses with that.

(In before I die by falling off a cliff.)

This riposte is ridiculous, right? (I slowed the video down so it's slightly easier to see the numbers)

http://a.pomf.se/szjqwj.webm

620 to 1860 (!) and then a mysterious third tick of damage bringing it to 2082! Unbuffed Uchi with 40 dex, the criticals don't really seem to go over ~1100 but in this instance it went nuts. Maybe it was the other red's magic but I'm not so sure that additional damage can be done once a riposte has started. Whatever happened, it was a great way to stop a gank :)

That's probably how you'll die. For some reason this always happens to me once or twice every playthrough.

Yep, every single no death run I've done has ended in something super silly like running off a ledge or to some enemy or boss that generally never die to.

I think part of my problem is that I don't focus as much as I should. I generally have a stream or a video up while playing Dark Souls these days, which is not ideal for doing a no death run.

This riposte is ridiculous, right? (I slowed the video down so it's slightly easier to see the numbers)

http://a.pomf.se/szjqwj.webm

620 to 1860 (!) and then a mysterious third tick of damage bringing it to 2082! Unbuffed Uchi with 40 dex, the criticals don't really seem to go over ~1100 but in this instance it went nuts. Maybe it was the other red's magic but I'm not so sure that additional damage can be done once a riposte has started. Whatever happened, it was a great way to stop a gank :)

That is pretty crazy. I'm definitely curious where that third bit of damage came from.

-

By the way, somebody did some testing over on /r/darksoul2, and it seems like Dark Ice Rapier +5, Dark Weapon, and Sacred Oath is the fastest way to farm the Giant Lord. For anybody that wants to get a ridiculous amount of souls in a very short time.

Sammyzuko

Neo Member
I remember thinking I was close to the end of the game.....and I wasn't. 40hrs in, I'd guess you still have a decent amount of the game left.

Top Bottom