• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

NEO0MJ

How do you power up the crowns?

You have to obtain them all (including Vendrick's) in the same playthrough and then go to the room where you fought Vendrick, use the ashen mist heart near his armor and and talk to him in the memory. You'll have to do this every time you move to a NG+

Sammyzuko

Neo Member
You have to obtain them all (including Vendrick's) in the same playthrough and then go to the room where you fought Vendrick, use the ashen mist heart near his armor and and talk to him in the memory. You'll have to do this every time you move to a NG+

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try on my next playthrough. I've already cashed in the souls that I believe allow you to inflict more damage on Vendrick. As it stands my attacks don't phase him.

Dear Fume Knight

Fuck You.

Sincerely, Easy_D

Is it me or is his second phase actually easier? Attacks deal more damage sure, but they are easier to avoid since he only uses his big sword. I had like 5% of my health left when I got him to his second phase and I stayed alive for quite a bit.

Fume is a great fight.
Actually I beat him with surgical precision rolls.

If you find it too hard, ask for help, there tons of SunBros for that particular area, since is such a cool boss.

I'd love if they brought back Battle of Stoicism in the DLC but redone. Something like 6 people per room. One vs One with spectating(others players can battle among themselves. Winners stays loser move to back of the line. Based on level ranges not SM. No ugly blue or red skins.

Huh, lets watch how the wizard got killed and screw everyone.

Dear Fume Knight

Fuck You.

Sincerely, Easy_D

Is it me or is his second phase actually easier? Attacks deal more damage sure, but they are easier to avoid since he only uses his big sword. I had like 5% of my health left when I got him to his second phase and I stayed alive for quite a bit.

Second phase have less invincible frames and unfair recovery times of him the trick is getting your distance. Pretty easy if you are a light armor player, horrible for heavy because they dont have time to reach him and run away

Doubtful then you've got a very strong boss in his weakest state and a pretty much stronger version with less weakness that would be a right slog with your suggestion.

You can still roll though. It would be a whole lot more challenging, but still doable. It would be a lot more fun than fooking Ancient, that's for sure.

Mistel

Banned
You can still roll though. It would be a whole lot more challenging, but still doable. It would be a lot more fun than fooking Ancient, that's for sure.
Both are pretty much one or two hit kills for the player sure you can do them but they're dull. You'd just end up circle strafing with a greatshield and a strike weapon exploiting the moveset in the case of hypothetical vendrick.

DedValve

Banned
Cross posting from the DS1 OT since I thought it was a general Dark Souls OT

Has anyone here played Dark Souls 1 & 2?

Dark Souls 1. FUCK THE GARGOYLES.

Dark Souls 2.... no amount of cussing can compare how much I hate the fucking goddamn piece of shit, shitstainbag motherfucking asscuntbag dribbledonkeyflogs thongwearingnipplemidget assholeinvadinggreydouchebags slimyblackelvenpricks tosserwankerflankerdanker bitchy idiotic mother fucking gargoyles.

Oh that works.

What I'm trying to say is why? WHY.

Maneater was already the most painful thing in existence for me. I never beat him in NG+ (despite being 1 hit away) but one day I do want to come back and beat him.

The gargoyles in DS1 where just no fun.

But DS2....WHY. Also why are so many bosses in DS2 just a ton of enemies? The most entertaining one that was also difficult was the DragonRider at Heilde's Tower. Sure I only died 3 times but it was so fucking beautiful and awesome (even if it was just a copy/paste from the infamous duo of DS1).

I vented. And now I shall turn to cheesing methods.

Cross posting from the DS1 OT since I thought it was a general Dark Souls OT

Has anyone here played Dark Souls 1 & 2?

Dark Souls 1. FUCK THE GARGOYLES.

Dark Souls 2.... no amount of cussing can compare how much I hate the fucking goddamn piece of shit, shitstainbag motherfucking asscuntbag dribbledonkeyflogs thongwearingnipplemidget assholeinvadinggreydouchebags slimyblackelvenpricks tosserwankerflankerdanker bitchy idiotic mother fucking gargoyles.

Oh that works.

What I'm trying to say is why? WHY.

Maneater was already the most painful thing in existence for me. I never beat him in NG+ (despite being 1 hit away) but one day I do want to come back and beat him.

But DS2....WHY. Also why are so many bosses in DS2 just a ton of enemies? The most entertaining one that was also difficult was the DragonRider at Heilde's Tower. Sure I only died 3 times but it was so fucking beautiful and awesome (even if it was just a copy/paste from the infamous duo of DS1).

Well, it's not too bad considering...
technically you only fight two at a time. They share one health pool, so another spawns when you deal damage to the total health pool equal to one gargoyles health. For example, if you take one gargoyle down to 25% health and another to 75% health, a third will spawn even though two are still alive. Focus one always and bring him down before dealing damage to the other one.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Huh, lets watch how the wizard got killed and screw everyone.

Second phase have less invincible frames and unfair recovery times of him the trick is getting your distance. Pretty easy if you are a light armor player, horrible for heavy because they dont have time to reach him and run away

Guess it's just easier for me to do last second rolls to avoid his attacks. It's also much easier to roll at an angle to get behind him for a quick attack or too.

The bosses with minions were rarely done well in DS2 I agree. I think with the Gargoyles in DS2 though, it was fanservice - so they were expecting that many players will know the deal, or think they do, then go "Oh shit!" as more come to life! So even if you die the first time, you go back knowing what to expect and hopefully more prepared. I never expect to kill a boss first time, if I do great - but you don't know what gimmick they'll throw out to knock you off your game. After a death or three on the Gargoyles if you're still being chased by 4 of them scrambling to heal in between beatdowns, then you're just not playing smart enough!

I guess some points in the series like that are "dragon bridge moments" where your first run through is a little unfair unless you are being super-duper observant and cautious. But that's ok, learning from your deaths is what Souls is about. As long as you pick yourself up and think about a strategy - could be as simple as using a weapon buff, changing a ring or armour piece etc, then every death is a worthwhile learning experience.

FloatOn

I'm considering playing this game again.

I would like to finish it but smelter 2.0 put such a bad taste in my mouth I'm lacking the motivation.

I've heard dlc 3 is amazing but I just can't deal with another palette swap boss.

UrbanRats

I'm considering playing this game again.

I would like to finish it but smelter 2.0 put such a bad taste in my mouth I'm lacking the motivation.

I've heard dlc 3 is amazing but I just can't deal with another palette swap boss.

Blue Smelter is the only one i skipped from the three DLC.
So lame i couldn't be bothered to even put the time in to beat it.

I must confess I liked fighting the gargoyles in DSII D:

I agree that fighting several enemies during boss encounters is kinda cheap, but there are few that I think are fun: Ornstein & Smough, the gargoyles, Freja, Elana,
Burnt Ivory King
even Phalanx in Demons...

Damn, was hoping to be able to complete a no-death run on NG++. I really want this to be the character that eventually has "everything" but she was already on NG+. Figured I'd give the no death run a try.

It was all going great until I underestimated the range of Mytha's AOE after she throws her head on the ground. =(

Guess I could try NG+++ No Death and go full cheese.

If you weren't going full cheese in ++ then it's probably going to be the only way you do it at that difficulty and just havel mage everything.

Yeah, I think I could have managed it in NG++ if I'd just been more careful with Mytha...but cheese is probably my only way to go in NG+++. Especially since every time I screw up it's just going to get harder and harder, haha.

Why didn't you use Thomas?

I pretty much never die to Mytha, so I didn't even worry about it.

That's pretty much the story of all my no death runs in the past. (I've tried a lot of NG ones.) I assume that something will be easy, don't concentrate enough, and get killed. Which means even with maximum cheese I may very well fail.

Mistel

Banned
I pretty much never die to Mytha, so I didn't even worry about it.

That's pretty much the story of all my no death runs in the past. (I've tried a lot of NG ones.) I assume that something will be easy, don't concentrate enough, and get killed. Which means even with maximum cheese I may very well fail.
It's not maximum cheese without npc summons, plus it might help alleviate some of your failings.

DedValve

Banned
The bosses with minions were rarely done well in DS2 I agree. I think with the Gargoyles in DS2 though, it was fanservice - so they were expecting that many players will know the deal, or think they do, then go "Oh shit!" as more come to life! So even if you die the first time, you go back knowing what to expect and hopefully more prepared. I never expect to kill a boss first time, if I do great - but you don't know what gimmick they'll throw out to knock you off your game. After a death or three on the Gargoyles if you're still being chased by 4 of them scrambling to heal in between beatdowns, then you're just not playing smart enough!

I guess some points in the series like that are "dragon bridge moments" where your first run through is a little unfair unless you are being super-duper observant and cautious. But that's ok, learning from your deaths is what Souls is about. As long as you pick yourself up and think about a strategy - could be as simple as using a weapon buff, changing a ring or armour piece etc, then every death is a worthwhile learning experience.

I know how the souls game work but souls prizes itself on difficult one on one or one on two situations.

The whole combat system isn't really designed around multiple enemies nor is it any funs. I knew what to do with the sentinels but good lord they where so painfully boring, hit, raise shield and wait for the *perfect* moment for them to attack, repeat.

Multiple enemies outside of ornstein and smough just plain suck, don't have the same excitement, aren't fun and are usually very, very cheap or tedious or both.

I *HATE* summoning in my first playthrough of souls and didn't do it in Demons or Dark Souls 1 but after 10 or so tries I had no problems summoning on the ruin sentinels (and I hear there are more) and I'll do the same with gargoyles if I find the summon sign.

And I would have a much better time with the gargoyles if there wasn't such a high chance to be invaded immediately before the boss fight. Not only am I fighting a copy/paste boss from the first game but a near guarantee invader?

The idea itself is really cool but to place those two things together just reeks of cheap. So far the only boss I actually had a great time with was the Dragon Rider and the Pursuer. Everything else was either lol too easy (last giant and sinner where so disappointing) or just plain cheap/boring/tedious (ruin sentinels managed to be all 3!).

Souls series should stick with more intense 1 v 1 fights.

Mistel

Banned
The 5 gargoyles are one of the easier bosses their weakness to magic coupled with a naturally stronger strike weapon makes short work of them. Pyros make short work of the gargoyles too.Twins is a worse multiple boss fight nowhere near as bad as triplets are though.

wait what? blue smelter is skippable?

I've tried him about a hundred times now and still get my shit rocked every time.

Yup. All the DLCs have two main bosses, and one optional. The second technically has 2 optional, depending on what your goal is. If you would like to know, all beating Smelter Demon 2.0 does is
give you Pharros Mask, it kinda resembles Mask of the Farther from DS 1, just with a longer beard and smaller head. It increases fire resistance by 100, but it also reduces your lightning defense by the same amount. Useful for Iron Keep Lava paths though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If the gargoyles were a handful in 1 I cant imagine how you dealt with S&O. And Ruin Sentinels pretty much gives you a one on one fight at the start. I find playing unlocked can help in multi boss battles. Just lock on as you go in for stabs.

Also to be honest, the Dragonrider is the lamest boss in the game outside of Covetous Demon and Last Giant but the Last Giant is the first boss so I have a hard time being harsh on it. Asylum Demon is pretty much just as easy if you have any experience in Souls, and Phalanx is a lame gimmick (like a lot of Demon's bosses)

I found the master of stealth

screenshot_2014_10_08_21_08_35_1_by_realghostvids-d8412he.jpg

I found the master of stealth

screenshot_2014_10_08_21_08_35_1_by_realghostvids-d8412he.jpg
You always find the best PvP opponents. All mine are the same original non-laggy, non-invisible plebs ;~;.

If the gargoyles were a handful in 1 I cant imagine how you dealt with S&O. And Ruin Sentinels pretty much gives you a one on one fight at the start. I find playing unlocked can help in multi boss battles. Just lock on as you go in for stabs.

Also to be honest, the Dragonrider is the lamest boss in the game outside of Covetous Demon and Last Giant but the Last Giant is the first boss so I have a hard time being harsh on it. Asylum Demon is pretty much just as easy if you have any experience in Souls, and Phalanx is a lame gimmick (like a lot of Demon's bosses)

I find Dragonriders to be a really good fight if you decide to activate one of the platforms. You can be an insane mofo and activate none if you prefer. It's a good bossfight to encoruge players to not just dart through the area, unfortunately the Vanilla game has no more of it...
Last Giant got needed to oblivion because too many new players kept dying to him. Unfortunate as I with Lost Sinner I'd prefer to fight them prenerf.

Yeah a 2 month ban was a bit too much. I'll update the new OT with DLC info.
I don't know you but hi and welcome back heh.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Epicnamebro and Vaaty in that order are the ones I remember of.

Just careful with vaaty he seems to divage in the lore.

More like takes the vague, fractuous lore to construct his own stories because he is desperate to try and have everything make sense like Demon's and Dark Souls.

^- I actually like the lore of Dark Souls 2. It's not Dark Souls 1 quality, but I find there's still a lot of interesting things to think about.

(And I certainly wouldn't say everything in Dark Souls 1 "made sense". And that's purposeful, really, since they make things vague in order to allow a lot of speculation and interpretation.)

Epicnamebro and Vaaty in that order are the ones I remember of.

Just careful with vaaty he seems to divage in the lore.

ENB hasn't done any lore videos for DS2.

Hypron

A bit OT but I just wanted to express my frustration somewhere:

Guys I fucked up. I didn't go to a local expo today because I was too tired... Turns out they had a bloodborne demo that wasn't advertised on their website D:

I'm so gutted right now.

Top Bottom