• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
My Zweihander hardly staggers him though. :/ I also have a Drakekeepers Greathammer +10, but I'm like one or two points short of one-handing it (Using a shield against Dark in left hand).
A drakekeeper's ultra is far stronger and has the exact same moveset as a zwei if you want to up your damage output. Just get your STR up to 50 for the drakekeeper and single hand it.
Shhhhh you would make easy into a massacre.
Why do think I've not mentioned profound still :p.

A drakekeeper's ultra is far stronger and has the exact same moveset as a zwei if you want to up your damage output. Just get your STR up to 50 for the drakekeeper and single hand it.

Why do think I've not mentioned profound still :p.

It's not the Ultra, but the Hammer, should I farm for the Ultra Greatsword?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dumb Ways to Die in Dark Souls II

The Souls community makes such awesome stuff.

One of my dumb ways to die that I was hoping would be represented is using ENB without a torch =p

I was going through Huntsmans Copse and accidentally dual wielded my weapon, thus putting my torch out. I could barely see anything and sprinted to try and run from the enemy. Accidentally ran right off the cliff and died.

It was really cool, but totally sucked!

Aaava sucks. The worst of Dark Souls II boss design compiled and repeated again and again. Bad hitboxes, fakeout delayed attacks, a billion health, and forcing "roll forward to win" strategy yet again. I haven't found any of the DLC bosses to be even "okay," really. They're all pretty bad or tolerable.

Daante

I manned up and rerolled a new character a few weeks back , melee build this time.

Last weekend i beat all the three DLC:s and finally the game again, and i still think the game is a solid 8/10 (more towards a 7 then a 9 with all the DLC:s included)

I have no intention to play DS2 again after this last playthrough. I will be on a "Souls break" now until Bloodbourne is out.

Aaava sucks. The worst of Dark Souls II boss design compiled and repeated again and again. Bad hitboxes, fakeout delayed attacks, a billion health, and forcing "roll forward to win" strategy yet again. I haven't found any of the DLC bosses to be even "okay," really. They're all pretty bad or tolerable.
I'd say Fume Knight and Alonne are pretty damn great?

Did someone really died on the dragon bridge?

Most of the bosses are like this sadly, and Aava is a rework of rat boss who is a rework of sif but dumber.

I like Fume Knight's moveset but like everything in that DLC, hate that they cranked his damage up so high.

I found Aava to be pretty good. It was a move away from humanoid enemies, and had attacks depending on how close or far you are from him. I will admit, the huge health pool was really obnoxious, however, according to the wiki Aava didn't gain a huge amount of health and defenses when you summoned people, so I guess it was designed for co-op? Fakeouts I kinda actually like, makes it more interesting, then again I could just be masochistic. Hitboxes annoy me like noo other, so that I will agree is a huge annoyance.

As for Fume, him doing high damage makes sense. First have you seen that sword he wields? It's like 2x if not 3x larger than you. Secondly he was the right hand(or was he left hand?) knight of Vendrick, so it makes sense that he would be really strong. At least he doesn't OHK you like Vendrick D:.

As for Fume, him doing high damage makes sense. First have you seen that sword he wields? It's like 2x if not 3x larger than you. Secondly he was the right hand(or was he left hand?) knight of Vendrick, so it makes sense that he would be really strong. At least he doesn't OHK you like Vendrick D:.

I dont mind his strength but how he swings his sword (woot?), so slow and awkward yet it can nearly kills you

Zocano

Wait people really actually complain about fake out delayed attacks? Must be the salt from not wanting to learn movesets.

They're hard to adjust to but that's a good thing. It's not like bosses can choose to delay attacks. Specific attacks always come out at specific timings and you just have to learn them.

I don't usually say it but git gud. It's just another part of a moveset you have to learn.

It's not about "learning" movesets, it's about re-learning muscle memory. I already know the move. I know it's delayed. But it works contrary to all dodging impulses for any other boss, so yeah. Knowing it doesn't mean shit because it WILL catch you off-guard at some point, and I feel like this is the 2nd or 3rd DLC boss to do it. It's pretty much a quick way to add "challenge" to a boss by forcing you to fight against your impulses rather than, well, having an interesting or varied moveset. Literally the only reason Sinh took me more than 3 tries was because he has an attack with a startup identical to Kalameet's, except there's a delay before the actual attack.

Making a boss kill you in one hit isn't challenge, though. Even dumbass Smough had various degrees to which his buttslam did damage. Hit by the shockwave, heavy damage, right under him, instant death. You pretty much had it coming. Whereas Dark Souls 2 just kind of says "got hit by a slow-moving fireball with a large hitbox? Better try again from the start." And it's a running theme throughout the 2nd and 3rd DLC's. You have standard knight-type enemies doing the same level of damage as the giant soldiers in Dragon Shrine.

I had already learned Dark Souls 2 and was appreciating it more than at launch, but Iron King and Ivory King have so far done a really good job reminding me of everything wrong with the game.

Started my no death attempt on NG+++. I've got to the Iron King without any troubles so far. Using a +5 Dark Infused Ice Rapier buffed with Dark Weapon. It's insane how fast you cut through bosses with that.

(In before I die by falling off a cliff.)

That's probably how you'll die. For some reason this always happens to me once or twice every playthrough.

Aaaaaand that was indeed how it ended. I was doing really well against all of the bosses. NG+++ damage is nothing to laugh about, but with my OP buffed Dark Ice Rapier bosses just melted.

And then I was in Tseldora trying to be smart and getting those villagers to get crushed by the boulder. Rolled out of the way of the boulder, and right off the cliff.

I think I'm done with no death attempts. Will probably do a no bonfire run on NG++++, since you can actually make mistakes with that challenge. I'm frustrated by too many failed no death attempts.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aavaa is probably the easiest boss in the dlc with only one attack that should regularly catch you and thats the sideswipe that punishes you for being too greedy on damaging him from the side.

Also trying to fight Sinh like Kalameet already is a losing strategy. They arent the same boss. I'm not even sure what attack that has a delay is like Kalameet that isnt a fire breathe attack. All his melee attacks are different, particularly cause he attacks you with his claws and not his head and those are the attacks most likely to kill you.

Aaaaaand that was indeed how it ended. I was doing really well against all of the bosses. NG+++ damage is nothing to laugh about, but with my OP buffed Dark Ice Rapier bosses just melted.

And then I was in Tseldora trying to be smart and getting those villagers to get crushed by the boulder. Rolled out of the way of the boulder, and right off the cliff.

I think I'm done with no death attempts. Will probably do a no bonfire run on NG++++, since you can actually make mistakes with that challenge. I'm frustrated by too many failed no death attempts.

Why are you doing a no death run in such late playthroughs? IMO No death run would be easiest on NG+, because then you're highly leveled, have your gear maxed, your weapons maxed, which should be enough to offset the increased difficulty. But doing it in NG++++? May God have mercy on your soul...your Dark Soul that is.

Why are you doing a no death run in such late playthroughs? IMO No death run would be easiest on NG+, because then you're highly leveled, have your gear maxed, your weapons maxed, which should be enough to offset the increased difficulty. But doing it in NG++++? May God have mercy on your soul...your Dark Soul that is.

I wanted my original character to be the one that eventually has "everything". She was already on NG+, though, so I attempted a no death run on NG++. Died to Mytha because I was being dumb and not paying attention. Thought I would give it a shot on NG+++ with maximum cheese. That was going great, and I'm pretty sure I could have done it had I not rolled off a cliff. Bosses were giving me no troubles, even on NG+++, with my build.

I've tried a bunch of no death runs on NG before, but never even gotten to Drangleic castle.

At this point I don't think I'll attempt no death on NG++++. Probably just no bonfire, and forget about the no death run. Too frustrating. =)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I wanted my original character to be the one that eventually has "everything". She was already on NG+, though, so I attempted a no death run on NG++. Died to Mytha because I was being dumb and not paying attention. Thought I would give it a shot on NG+++ with maximum cheese. That was going great, and I'm pretty sure I could have done it had I not rolled off a cliff. Bosses were giving me no troubles, even on NG+++, with my build.

I've tried a bunch of no death runs on NG before, but never even gotten to Drangleic castle.

At this point I don't think I'll attempt no death on NG++++. Probably just no bonfire, and forget about the no death run. Too frustrating. =)

Are you pc?

This is the thing that kills most no death runs, trying to be smart or rather just amuse yourself because it's kind of boring/tiring being on your guard all the time and doing things safely and by the book.

iirc, I did no death on NG then no bonfire on NG+, so I could buy a ton of repair powder, spell recharge items etc at the end of NG ready for NG+ - It was more fun doing no bonfire tbh because of thinking about the most efficient bonfires to tag to minimize backtracking.

You could always start a new character to get "everything", I think that would be easier than keeping going up a NG every time you die in a run.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I did my no death no bonfire run on ng+. Just farm the giant memories for consumable souls to bypass shrine of winter. It is not worth it going through places like Earthern Peak, Iron Keep and The Gutter and fighting a ton of extra bosses.

I did my no death no bonfire run on ng+. Just farm the giant memories for consumable souls to bypass shrine of winter. It is not worth it going through places like Earthern Peak, Iron Keep and The Gutter and fighting a ton of extra bosses.
I did that too using ascetics on Rotten and Iron King and chomping the souls to get enough to open the Shrine. Make it as easy on yourself as possible for no death.
I guess I did no bonfire on NG+ and no death on NG++ in that case. I remember trying to do both together and dying on Dragonrider because I was going for easy method and he didn't fall off, but I did!

I did that too using ascetics on Rotten and Iron King and chomping the souls to get enough to open the Shrine. Make it as easy on yourself as possible for no death.
I guess I did no bonfire on NG+ and no death on NG++ in that case. I remember trying to do both together and dying on Dragonrider because I was going for easy method and he didn't fall off, but I did!

Really good idea! Looks like I would need literally 200 Giant Lord Souls on NG+4, though...farming the Old Iron King would probably be the best way for me to get the consumable souls necessary.

I'll need 5 million souls in NG+4 to skip right to the Shrine of Winter. I would get 100,000 in consumable souls after every OIK kill...which means I would have to kill him 50 times.

Heh, I think I'm done trying no death runs with this character. If I try again it will be on NG+ with another character, using the strategy you guys recommended to skip all of the Old Ones.

d00d3n

Started to play the Crown of the Old Iron King dlc a couple of days ago, and I think I have found one of the most enjoyable cracked red eye orb invasion spots if you just want to grief. Go back from the Foyer bonfire through the door that you first entered this area through. The orb will be greyed out in the corridor, but go a few steps past where there used to be a fog door and the orb will light up again (The ashen warrior will not bother you if you keep some distance from him).

Time to grief! My hexer build is probably quite outdated at this point, but the "pretend to fight with melee honor, switch to (great) resonant soul when your opponent makes his first mistake" strategy seemed to work fine. I remember how hard it was to get through that area the first time, so I can imagine how much it would suck to go through the iron warrior kill room, the horde on top of the cliff and the horde on the ground just to be slaughtered with cheap tactics right before you reach the next bonfire.

Aavaa is probably the easiest boss in the dlc with only one attack that should regularly catch you and thats the sideswipe that punishes you for being too greedy on damaging him from the side.

Also trying to fight Sinh like Kalameet already is a losing strategy. They arent the same boss. I'm not even sure what attack that has a delay is like Kalameet that isnt a fire breathe attack. All his melee attacks are different, particularly cause he attacks you with his claws and not his head and those are the attacks most likely to kill you.

When I fought Sinh I remember someone said to me "He's Kalameet 2.0", but since I hadn't fought Kalameet yet (didn't played the additional content in DS one) I didn't know anything about the fight. After the first DLC I went back to DS one and I reached the Kalameet fight. He totally destroyed me because I was expecting to fight Sinh...

My conclusion from that is: never play DS one as if you were playing DS II; also, never play DS II as if you were playing DS one.

Also... do not take seriously comments like "Sinh is just Kalameet 2.0" or "Fume Knight is Artorias 2.0"

When I fought Sinh I remember someone said to me "He's Kalameet 2.0", but since I hadn't fought Kalameet yet (didn't played the additional content in DS one) I didn't know anything about the fight. After the first DLC I went back to DS one and I reached the Kalameet fight. He totally destroyed me because I was expecting to fight Sinh...

My conclusion from that is: never play DS one as if you were playing DS II; also, never play DS II as if you were playing DS one.

Also... do not take seriously comments like "Sinh is just Kalameet 2.0" or "Fume Knight is Artorias 2.0"

2.0 in DS2 is more like a tunedown Ai rather than an improvement imo =P

2.0 in DS2 is more like a tunedown Ai rather than an improvement imo =P

In the case of Sinh it clearly is. The Fume Knight in the other hand is not even slightly similar to Artorias at all; the comparison would be better with Sir Alonne, but he's still different. Heck, I've even read that the Lost Sinner was "Artorias 2.0" which is absurd: fighting Artorias is rewarding, fighting the Lost Sinner is kinda boring.

So please, guys, stop saying things like that.

Comparisons like that are better between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but those doesn't apply to DS 2.

In the case of Sinh it clearly is. The Fume Knight in the other hand is not even slightly similar to Artorias at all; the comparison would be better with Sir Alonne, but he's still different. Heck, I've even read that the Lost Sinner was "Artorias 2.0" which is absurd: fighting Artorias is rewarding, fighting the Lost Sinner is kinda boring.

Comparisons like that are better between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but those doesn't apply to DS 2.

Pre-nerf Lost Sinner reminds of Artorias because of the crazy gap closers, the leaps, and how relentless she is, giving very few openings for attacking and healing. Post-Nerf Lost Sinner is Pinwheel. Fume reminds me of Artorias because of how powerful he is with his sword, his buffs making him considerably stronger, and again, relentless.

Dark was refering Fume's in terms of power and lore but most people says Alonnes is similar to artorias in terms of music and battlestyle.

SRTtoZ

Ok so I am about 40 hours into DS2 and ended up stopping at the Shrine of Amana because I couldnt beat one of the parts where I had 10 casters non stop attacking me. Anyways, I finally came back to the game and got past that part, and now I got the King's ring, which will unlock a few doors for me. My questions are about my armor and weapons, right now I'm using the Smelter Demon armor, upgraded a few times to +3 or so, and a Large club +10. I'm doing fine in the game but I'm wondering if I should be using other armors or weapons? I pretty much am all STR, (40), with end and vitality around 30 and some faith for miracles. They nerfed the FUCK out of my miracles so I hardly even use them. Lightning spear sucks now for me, but whatever. I just want some advice, I'm carrying a million boss souls not knowing if I could consume them or save them for items. Any ideas? Can I get any cool weapons with these souls? I'm tired of lugging around a stupid club when I get invaded and see all of these people with cool weapons. Sorry for the run on paragraph rant.

Oh, are the armors any good from the vendor in Majula? The person I got the smelter items from also has looking glass armor and Veldtadt stuff.

NEO0MJ

Ok so I am about 40 hours into DS2 and ended up stopping at the Shrine of Amana because I couldnt beat one of the parts where I had 10 casters non stop attacking me. Anyways, I finally came back to the game and got past that part, and now I got the King's ring, which will unlock a few doors for me. My questions are about my armor and weapons, right now I'm using the Smelter Demon armor, upgraded a few times to +3 or so, and a Large club +10. I'm doing fine in the game but I'm wondering if I should be using other armors or weapons? I pretty much am all STR, (40), with end and vitality around 30 and some faith for miracles. They nerfed the FUCK out of my miracles so I hardly even use them. Lightning spear sucks now for me, but whatever. I just want some advice, I'm carrying a million boss souls not knowing if I could consume them or save them for items. Any ideas? Can I get any cool weapons with these souls? I'm tired of lugging around a stupid club when I get invaded and see all of these people with cool weapons. Sorry for the run on paragraph rant.

Oh, are the armors any good from the vendor in Majula? The person I got the smelter items from also has looking glass armor and Veldtadt stuff.

I think the Gargoyle's bident, Butcher's Knife, Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword, King's Ultra Greatsword and Chariot Lance are all good boss soul weapons for a strength build. guess if you want to look cool you can pick up some of those new armors. Personally I really like Alva's set. It has good defense for a light armor.

This is the exact frame where my opponent's guard break animation finished and I was successfully guard broken from 2+ metres away as I was backpedaling. I guess he lives up to his name...

ugh_by_realghostvids-d84nbhq.jpg

I really wasn't expecting that much range though! I'm really questioning why I even play this game anymore when the lag is so consistently terrible. Once DS1 is free of GFWL I will definitely be jumping back into the forest so I can enjoy some decent netcode for a change.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Really good idea! Looks like I would need literally 200 Giant Lord Souls on NG+4, though...farming the Old Iron King would probably be the best way for me to get the consumable souls necessary.

I'll need 5 million souls in NG+4 to skip right to the Shrine of Winter. I would get 100,000 in consumable souls after every OIK kill...which means I would have to kill him 50 times.

Heh, I think I'm done trying no death runs with this character. If I try again it will be on NG+ with another character, using the strategy you guys recommended to skip all of the Old Ones.

You are forgetting that asceticing the place unbeknownest bonfire resets all the memories. Which is 3 great souls, 3 hero souls, and 3-4 other souls, as well as 5 silky stones, 1 petrified something, 3 crimson waters, 1 old radiant lifegem, a soul vessel and an extra ascetic.

And the giant lord is very easy, especially at range.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This is the exact frame where my opponent's guard break animation finished and I was successfully guard broken from 2+ metres away as I was backpedaling. I guess he lives up to his name...

ugh_by_realghostvids-d84nbhq.jpg

I really wasn't expecting that much range though! I'm really questioning why I even play this game anymore when the lag is so consistently terrible. Once DS1 is free of GFWL I will definitely be jumping back into the forest so I can enjoy some decent netcode for a change.

I doubt gfwl is the problem with the servers, connections and the fact that beating bosses cut off invasions. If it wasnt for soul memory, dark souls 2 would crush dark souls 1 for multiplayer (and it already does for coop, even demons is more consistent).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Large Club is an excellent great hammer so its not like it a lacking weapon. I'm of the opinion that you should trade in all your boss souls for weapons and magic until you have at least one of everything (personally I wouldnt consume them until I had two). If you have a faith build, infusing a thorn greatsword with lightning and buffing with sunlight blade will give you lots of damage.

I doubt gfwl is the problem with the servers, connections and the fact that beating bosses cut off invasions. If it wasnt for soul memory, dark souls 2 would crush dark souls 1 for multiplayer (and it already does for coop, even demons is more consistent).

When it comes to connecting to other players Dark Souls 2 is the clear winner, but Dark Souls 1 offers a much more consistent experience once you've actually connected. The lag in DS1 was definitely there but it was consistent, so with some practice you could easily play around it. DS2's latency feels 100% random and will come out of nowhere to ruin your fight. I am getting really sick of having to accommodate for DS2's latency with a bunch of extra rolls, wasted stamina and other unnecessary shit.

krakov

I've been playing Dark Souls 1 since release and several hundred of hours of Dark Souls 2 and for me the first game has way more consistent pvp/coop. I never once saw anything like this in Dark Souls 1 and it's not uncommon in the sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLY9OfH1fjM

So this has probably been asked a million times before, but I just downloaded GeDoSaTo, and I was wondering what the best configurations are for it. Resolution, AO, AA, etc...

I just have it at all defaults now; I don't even know if it's on for DS2 to be honest.

I'm not good with this stuff. :(

Dsyndrome

So I've been putting 2+ hours into Darklurker every day this week, and it's just pissing me off to know end. Currently SL 177, 45 faith, 23 INT, 45 strength. Brought her down to a sliver of health multiple times, to just be blasted by her twin. Strategies I've tried:

- spamming Chaos Firestorm and Firestorm - she steps away, I get ganked by one of the AOE spells of the twin
- respec to 75 Faith - bitch killed me with one hit after Profound Still didn't work, the one bolt I got off took off 159.
- Fire Swath - she usually moves out of the way and gets me with an AOE attack, then I spend the rest of the fight healing

Gonna try with the Rebel's Greatshield tonight, with fire swath and great lightning. Kind of mad the nerfs happened, spent over 25 effigies on this boss. I need to stop sucking.

So this has probably been asked a million times before, but I just downloaded GeDoSaTo, and I was wondering what the best configurations are for it. Resolution, AO, AA, etc...

I just have it at all defaults now; I don't even know if it's on for DS2 to be honest.

I'm not good with this stuff. :(

Personally I use it mainly for the downsampling and the postprocessing. Make sure to read through the docs, there are keyboard shortcuts that can let you turn various features on and off while playing. That'll give you an idea of what you like and don't like. There's even a key that'll show you your FPS so you can see the performance impact the various settings have in real time (except for the downsampling, you'll need to restart the game for that, naturally).

So I've been putting 2+ hours into Darklurker every day this week, and it's just pissing me off to know end. Currently SL 177, 45 faith, 23 INT, 45 strength. Brought her down to a sliver of health multiple times, to just be blasted by her twin. Strategies I've tried:

- spamming Chaos Firestorm and Firestorm - she steps away, I get ganked by one of the AOE spells of the twin
- respec to 75 Faith - bitch killed me with one hit after Profound Still didn't work, the one bolt I got off took off 159.
- Fire Swath - she usually moves out of the way and gets me with an AOE attack, then I spend the rest of the fight healing

Gonna try with the Rebel's Greatshield tonight, with fire swath and great lightning. Kind of mad the nerfs happened, spent over 25 effigies on this boss. I need to stop sucking.

Darklurker is really, really hard (especially the first time). My main recommendation is to go ahead and spam damage until it splits. But once it does, be *very* conservative, and only attack when you have both of them in view and know that you have an opening. The fight will last a long time, but you've got to be really careful in order to win.

Top Bottom