• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

RedSwirl

With my DEX character I've been holding on to the Murakumo +10 for a while and now I'm trying to figure out which weapon might potentially be better and worth investing a ton of souls to upgrade.

Edit: My character's DEX is 60 if you can tell how how different weapons scale. Is there a calculator out there somewhere for this?

Mistel

Banned
With my DEX character I've been holding on to the Murakumo +10 for a while and now I'm trying to figure out which weapon might potentially be better and worth investing a ton of souls to upgrade.
Curved dragon greatsword will be stronger but you need to up your STR to 30 for the curved dragon greatsword but with it's B/S scaling at max it's a good investment far outdamaging a murakumo.

ElTopo

Banned
So I've been putting 2+ hours into Darklurker every day this week, and it's just pissing me off to know end. Currently SL 177, 45 faith, 23 INT, 45 strength. Brought her down to a sliver of health multiple times, to just be blasted by her twin. Strategies I've tried:

- spamming Chaos Firestorm and Firestorm - she steps away, I get ganked by one of the AOE spells of the twin
- respec to 75 Faith - bitch killed me with one hit after Profound Still didn't work, the one bolt I got off took off 159.
- Fire Swath - she usually moves out of the way and gets me with an AOE attack, then I spend the rest of the fight healing

Gonna try with the Rebel's Greatshield tonight, with fire swath and great lightning. Kind of mad the nerfs happened, spent over 25 effigies on this boss. I need to stop sucking.

Since you're a Pyromancer here is (IMHO) the best way to deal with the Dark Lurker: Whale on him/her until they split, then good idea to equip Fireballs, Fire Orbs, Great Fireballs, Great Chaos Fireballs, whatever. Anything that's a relatively fast projectile and just get those hits in and stay away. Keep chucking fire until you run out and go for the killing blow with your weapon. It's a million times easier to use ranged magic during phase 2.

Dsyndrome

Finally beat the Darklurker, only took months and countless souls and effigies! Had a +10 Pyromancy Flame and a +10 Priest Chime used. Started out using Profound Still (which works for 10-15 seconds) then tried throwing Flame Swaths, neither of the two hit (30 attunement). Then started chucking Great Lightning while countering everything with the Dark Rebel's Greatshield. Took to < half life. Then it split, and I used Chaos Firestorm. They got a few hit on me from behind with their sword, then I used Chaos Firestorm again, and this time it worked!!!

Happiest I've been in a long time with this game, now I can start the DLCs and not feel guilty about leaving bosses behind. Thanks for the help, guys.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Edit: My character's DEX is 60 if you can tell how how different weapons scale. Is there a calculator out there somewhere for this?

Rapier/Espara Ropera with old leo ring. Murder everything

SRTtoZ

I think the Gargoyle's bident, Butcher's Knife, Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword, King's Ultra Greatsword and Chariot Lance are all good boss soul weapons for a strength build. guess if you want to look cool you can pick up some of those new armors. Personally I really like Alva's set. It has good defense for a light armor.

Large Club is an excellent great hammer so its not like it a lacking weapon. I'm of the opinion that you should trade in all your boss souls for weapons and magic until you have at least one of everything (personally I wouldnt consume them until I had two). If you have a faith build, infusing a thorn greatsword with lightning and buffing with sunlight blade will give you lots of damage.

Thanks guys, ill do that. I just beat the game for the first time so I'm onto NG+. Hopefully there will be a lot more summons in the new game.

The Engraved Gauntlets are stupid. I just had a guy score two crits on me within seconds of one another with his buffed rapier heavy attacks. I think he was doing 800-900 damage per poke for fuck's sake.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Engraved Gauntlets are stupid. I just had a guy score two crits on me within seconds of one another with his buffed rapier heavy attacks. I think he was doing 800-900 damage per poke for fuck's sake.

So is no backstab armor (especially on light armor) and the ability to cast three different magics off of one staff.

So is no backstab armor (especially on light armor) and the ability to cast three different magics off of one staff.

I don't like the 'best of their class' items at all. There's no reason at all to not use the Black Witch staff, Jester Robes and Engraved Gauntlets. The cast speed on the staff is good, the defences on the robes are stupidly good on top of the backstab protection, and while the gauntlets don't have the best defence the crits are nuts when they work. Top it off with Havel's Helm and leggings and you're all set! ;-;

Anyway, grumbling about certain equipment aside, I had a super great night of PVP which was a refreshing change. Pursuer's UGS and a dagger is actually a great combo and makes missed UGS swings not so easy to punish. If you miss just mash with the dagger immediately after and the lock-on + tracking should allow you to get some hits in with the dagger before your opponent can backstab you. Every time I think I should stop playing this game I find some new fun weapon combo and it completely revitalises my interest. The magic of Dark Souls!

Mistel

Banned
Storm if I want to cast miracle buffs and dark weapon what is the best catalyst for that?
There's only two choices if you want miracles and staff hexes on the same thing sanctum shield or the black witch staff, out of those the staff is better.

RedSwirl

Also, is it wrong if I've been going with the basic hard leather set (including shield, which doesn't even block 100% physical) the whole game? I just maxed it out and am wondering if there's something else that's better but similarly light. Been trying to stay around 30-40% equip load.

Also, is it wrong if I've been going with the basic hard leather set (including shield, which doesn't even block 100% physical) the whole game? I just maxed it out and am wondering if there's something else that's better but similarly light. Been trying to stay around 30-40% equip load.

Personally, I always just recommend going with Fashion Souls and wearing the armor you think looks the coolest. And to be honest, armor doesn't make a huge difference in this game anyway. There's just so much cool looking armor.

How's the DLC is it worth it???

The DLC is awesome. The level design is better than most of the base game, and with a few awesome bosses. (And a few bad ones, but luckily most of those are optional "challenge" bosses.) Also some pretty cool new weapons, armor, and rings.

UglyPony

I have recently started Dark Souls 2. Im at NG+ SL 149 with 1,9m soul memory. Have been putting my summon signs down anywhere i can and i never seem to get summoned. I also don't see any summon signs apart from NPC summon signs at all, ever. No where. And yes, i used an effigy (i didnt burn it) and i've yet to see any summon signs. I am logged into the DS2 servers, and nat type is 2. I can invade other people. I also joined sun covenant to start earning those sunlight medals asap. But not seeing summon signs at all is starting to worry me.

Any idea what is going on? Im playing on PS3. I want to platinum this game but when i cant get summoned or summon to start earning those dumb sunlight medals i cant platinum it. Am i bugged or whats the deal?

I have recently started Dark Souls 2. Im at NG+ SL 149 with 1,9m soul memory. Have been putting my summon signs down anywhere i can and i never seem to get summoned. I also don't see any summon signs apart from NPC summon signs at all, ever. No where. And yes, i used an effigy (i didnt burn it) and i've yet to see any summon signs. I am logged into the DS2 servers, and nat type is 2. I can invade other people. I also joined sun covenant to start earning those sunlight medals asap. But not seeing summon signs at all is starting to worry me.

Any idea what is going on? Im playing on PS3. I want to platinum this game but when i cant get summoned or summon to start earning those dumb sunlight medals i cant platinum it. Am i bugged or whats the deal?
The only three other problems I can think of are A) You have a soft ban for doing something wrong. B) You left in the middle of invasions too many times and are now cut off from Co-op(try using the bone of order to see if that's the case, if it is, it will be used. If not, it won't be used.) And C) The more likely case is no one is around your SM. 1.9M in NG+ seems really low to me, increasing that may help.

Faabulous

What's the best weapon for a hexer (Int + Faith build)? I've been using a Dark Uchigatana +10 for a while now, but I think I could be stronger.

Mistel

Banned
I'm at low STR because Katana reqs are not very high. Which weapon would you recommend?
Either a dark homunculus mace which is decently fast and has low requirements of 14/9 and deals strike damage. Or a dark archdrake mace a fast strike STR weapon a greathammer with a halberd moveset only weighs 6 units and has the requirements of 20/16.

SRTtoZ

Ok so I'm still at the end of my NG just typing up loose ends, finishing optional bosses and whatnot. I FINALLY killed the FUCKING Ancient dragon. Holy shit was he a pain in the dick. I'm at soul level 140 right now, it took me about 50 tries to kill him. He's so random that it really takes so many tries and luck to finally beat him. I literally took all my armor off so I was fast and made sure I had <30% health because I was using that ring that increases your damage when you're health is low. Anyway, it was insantly rewarding to finally beat him. Now to kill Vendrick and I'll move onto NG+!

Edit

AND DOWN GOES VENDRICK! Ok I think I can go onto NG+ now. Bought a ton of Titanite, stocked up on that poison moss stuff, arrows, bolts, etc. Whew. I need to try some new builds though. Right now I'm a STR build with some faith for miracles. I would love to try something magic wise. Any advice for magic PVE builds? Sorcery or Hex?

I just started playing this for the first time since i beat it (PC). i stopped playing the game basically when they nerfed the shit out of faith; lightning spear went from like 10 casts to like 5 (now i only have 4 lolololol).

can anybody give me the gist of the gameplay adjustments since then? Is dark magic still the end all be all? seems like it. any other significant changes? i beat the game on xbox before it came out on pc so my initial cruise on PC didn't last too long obvi but it definitely seems like they've made major adjustments since then

is the mace still considered hella OP or can i branch out and use different weapons now? dark mace + dark weapon used to be so OP, still seems good

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ok so I'm still at the end of my NG just typing up loose ends, finishing optional bosses and whatnot. I FINALLY killed the FUCKING Ancient dragon. Holy shit was he a pain in the dick. I'm at soul level 140 right now, it took me about 50 tries to kill him. He's so random that it really takes so many tries and luck to finally beat him. I literally took all my armor off so I was fast and made sure I had <30% health because I was using that ring that increases your damage when you're health is low. Anyway, it was insantly rewarding to finally beat him. Now to kill Vendrick and I'll move onto NG+!

Edit

AND DOWN GOES VENDRICK! Ok I think I can go onto NG+ now. Bought a ton of Titanite, stocked up on that poison moss stuff, arrows, bolts, etc. Whew. I need to try some new builds though. Right now I'm a STR build with some faith for miracles. I would love to try something magic wise. Any advice for magic PVE builds? Sorcery or Hex?

Ancient Dragon is actually the easiest fight in the game. Its a really shitty boss. Stupidly powerful if you dont know what to do. Pathetic if you do.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
In PvE you can use whatever weapon you want. Find some weapons you are interested in trying and just use them.

Yeah, the bossfight's completely braindead. Getting to the boss is harder than killing it.
Well that's build specific, if you don't have or want the stats for that specific shield, then it's a different story.

I've watched a few recent speedruns and the method seems to be staying inbetween one of the back feet and hacking away and just dodging stomps. That seems an easy method for any build, as long as all goes according to plan - the AI can be finnicky sometimes!

i just intsalled GeDoSaTo. seemed to take a big performance hit, i'll have to mess around with the settings a good amount. seems more finnicky than dark souls 1 where it was pretty much plug and play. what are some essential mods i should get? the extra blood splatter was the one that made me finally install it.

neoism

i just intsalled GeDoSaTo. seemed to take a big performance hit, i'll have to mess around with the settings a good amount. seems more finnicky than dark souls 1 where it was pretty much plug and play. what are some essential mods i should get? the extra blood splatter was the one that made me finally install it.
I use it only for the texture mods I turned everything off it still does hang when I like switch weapons or something and sometimes when a ghost player loads in for the most part it works wonderfully though.... I have like 5 or so weapons skin mods and just a few armor mods nothing really amazing lol I also have the blood mod but don't really notice it guess I should turn it on the 400% one.

SRTtoZ

Ancient Dragon is actually the easiest fight in the game. Its a really shitty boss. Stupidly powerful if you dont know what to do. Pathetic if you do.

I think its a BIT hyperbolic to say the EASIEST boss in the game. I've run across numerous bosses that ive killed in 1 try without researching a single thing about them, and even checking youtube on how to kill the ancient dragon, I didnt run across one using the gyrm shield. Now that I know about it, yea its probably a bit easier since you can actually absorb the fire damage, but id hardly call it the easiest boss in the game just walking into the fight and taking him on with your normal equipment.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's very hyperbolic to be sure. He's still one of the hardest ones. I mean this game has Dragonrider, Flexile Sentry, Demon of Song, the Congregation, Covetous Demon, etc.

Yeah, he can be cheesed if you know what you're doing, but that doesn't make him an easy boss. Just a poorly designed one.

(For the record: I've never even fought him and probably won't. I don't see the point as there is no good reward for doing it and the boss is apparently awful to fight.)

Yeah, he can be cheesed if you know what you're doing, but that doesn't make him an easy boss. Just a poorly designed one.

(For the record: I've never even fought him and probably won't. I don't see the point as there is no good reward for doing it and the boss is apparently awful to fight.)

I dont remember so well but he dont drop a "ancient dragon" soul
just a giant soul and a dragon boen right?

I killed AD once on my first run, and that was enough for me. Naked with RTSR, this was before the Gyrm shield technique was popular I think but either way I didn't have the stats to weild it. Took about 40-50 tries iirc, so never again - ever!

SRTtoZ

Yep, my "cheese" technique (if you can even call it cheese), was to run in, get behind him near his rear legs and go to down, when he throws 2 legs up, just move out from under him, continue dpsing, then when he flies up, run for your life towards his tail and double roll at the end of your run. The issue is its completely RNG, sometimes it hits you, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes he just flies up non stop without doing any other moves, etc. So it really took me until the perfect RNG to where he didn't do the flame AOE a lot, and I ended up killing him. In the end its a poorly designed boss compared to everything else.

And yes the only point in defeating him is
to get a soul that helps you defeat vendrick (I got all 5 so he was quicker to kill with my melee STR build)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The speed run method of killing ancient dragon is just auto pilot. A pathetic boss. And no, using the gyrm shield isnt the correct way to cheese him.

I beat him by baiting his forward breath attack, running to his side, throwing multiple Sunlight and Great Lightning Spears, then when he begins to ascend, ran back to the foggate. Then bait his forward breath again. Rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom