• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

They should have just had it be a toggle that you can set by talking to the Emerald Herald or one of the Firekeepers. Having it take up a ring slot is kind of a bummer, and on top of that Cracked Red Eye Orbs still cost 10k a pop! So if you want to keep PVPing with the orbs you'll have to keep gaining souls in order to buy more orbs which defeats the purpose of that ring.

However, with the new rewards for the bell covenant I could see a resurgance in Bell tower activity. Maybe the towers could become the new PVP hotspots? A huge caveat of that is in DS2 you can't swap your Bell ring after you've been summoned (unlike the cat ring in DS1), so that would be two ring slots gone just to try and keep your PVP experience at a set Soul Memory... Bleh.

I appreciate that they are trying to mend it a bit but it's really just more proof for how annoying Soul Memory is.

and on top of that Cracked Red Eye Orbs still cost 10k a pop! So if you want to keep PVPing with the orbs you'll have to keep gaining souls in order to buy more orbs which defeats the purpose of that ring.
I had no idea they cost that much!

Hmmm, I don't think From has thought this thing through properly.

Really wish I could try the DLC for this game. I started a new game plus though and I really dont feel like beating the game again just to pay the content i bought.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Really wish I could try the DLC for this game. I started a new game plus though and I really dont feel like beating the game again just to pay the content i bought.

You don't have to? You can pretty much go straight to The Rotten in NG+ and do Sunken King. Shrine of Winter is easily accessed by having enough Soul Memory, and Iron King is also not that hard to get to.

You don't have to? You can pretty much go straight to The Rotten in NG+ and do Sunken King. Shrine of Winter is easily accessed by having enough Soul Memory, and Iron King is also not that hard to get to.

Hmm really? I remember reading id have to go through some nonsense to get to it...maybe ill give it another shot....

im tempted to wait for the console version with the "improvements". Whatever they may be.

Will the DLC on NG+ be SUPER hard if I literally do nothing in my NG+ game but beeline for the DLC?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm really? I remember reading id have to go through some nonsense to get to it...maybe ill give it another shot....

im tempted to wait for the console version with the "improvements". Whatever they may be.

Will the DLC on NG+ be SUPER hard if I literally do nothing in my NG+ game but beeline for the DLC?

Hard to say, depends on your equipment/stats. If you have good, maxed out weapons and you're like SL150+ you should definitely be fine. Difficulty curve in NG+ is mostly flat, because you're expected to have a somewhat static level and maxed gear, and same goes for DLC. I would recommend SL 150ish for a casual first playthrough.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yes that's always been the case all you don't get is 6 player matchmaking and the graphics stuff.

And possibly the improved enemy ai, enemy placement and new enemies. Namco's been extremely confusing regarding what's in the Xbone/PS4/Rip-off version

PVE got easier/hard at the same time huh?

Good to know all the important stuff will be in the vanilla version for free so the SotfS edition feels like only for a GOTY edition.

zma1013

I still don't understand why they haven't thought of the idea of letting the players pick a PVE-based character or a PVP-based character, where the PVE character can level all the way to 999 and matches with soul memory up to a certain point then they can match with anyone and then the PVP character is capped at a certain level, I dunno, 120 or 130 or something and everyone would be matched around the same levels and they would only match with other PVP players. It seems like such an easy solution in hindsight. It gives both styles of players the ability to do their own thing, unimpeded and creates an actual competitive PVP fighting limit that everyone has to abide by.

I still don't understand why they haven't thought of the idea of letting the players pick a PVE-based character or a PVP-based character, where the PVE character can level all the way to 999 and matches with soul memory up to a certain point then they can match with anyone and then the PVP character is capped at a certain level, I dunno, 120 or 130 or something and everyone would be matched around the same levels and they would only match with other PVP players. It seems like such an easy solution in hindsight. It gives both styles of players the ability to do their own thing, unimpeded and creates an actual competitive PVP fighting limit that everyone has to abide by.

just give me a reusable item that turns an existing character into a level capped pvp player and vice versa that can only invade other pvp flagged characters.

Mistel

Banned
Personally I think if a system like that was implemented within this game going the level distribution with a majority around 200-300 that would be were the cap would be roughly. As the changes introduced in the form of splitting END and VIT, along with ADP as a stat would probably need that higher level of investment than that of a lower cap could provide.

zma1013

Personally I think if a system like that was implemented within this game going the level distribution with a majority around 200-300 that would be were the cap would be roughly. As the changes introduced in the form of splitting END and VIT, along with ADP as a stat would probably need that higher level of investment than that of a lower cap could provide.

It would probably be the level at which you can't be a Havel set wearing, fast rolling hexer all-in-one unstoppable machine. I don't know what level that is, but I'm pretty sure 200 or 300 is way past it.

Mistel

Banned
It would probably be the level at which you can't be a Havel set wearing, fast rolling hexer all-in-one unstoppable machine. I don't know what level that is, but I'm pretty sure 200 or 300 is way past it.
Havel mages are pretty easy to deal with now buff stacking is no longer a thing. Unless they've got priestess tiaras on you can stop them casting via a hex.

Well without having the any investment in END, VIG, VIT, STR, and DEX you can make a glass cannon sorcerer that has the 60/60 INT/FTH with 50 ATT for cast speed and agility with a small investment of 5 ADP to just about get to the agility level required for pvp of 100 if you want to dodge anything that's 154 and it's the lowest. Havel mages easily are pushing about 200+ plus probably.

Mistel

Banned
So assuming that Agape ring works as intended, is there a particular soul level the community is going to aim for in PVP?
It's too early to say as there is no indication of what point said ring is available so it could be right at the beginning which would make early game gank central easily, or it could be available post midway through the game where most have some equipment upgraded and levels built up. As for the meta for itself if it is ever established it will probably be higher than that of the first due to the way the stats work in this one.

Edit: Someone else posted a link to the patch notes that makes it more convenient and less space wasting, good call heh.
I'm looking forward to the first note, also THANK YOU FOR LETTING US MATCH UP CROSS PLAYTHROUGHS!

Theoretically getting rid of SM for pvp doesn't mean it would have an effect on the Shrine of Winter, you could still have the choice of defeating the four lord souls (whatever they're called) or getting 1M souls. Not that I think they would ever backpeddle that far on SM, just chiming in on what people are saying about the ring.

Personally I don't see people wanting to give up their SL400 'do everything' characters for one less ring slot and a more modest SL meta, it seems too little too late to me. But I would welcome it for sure.

To prevent invasion after defeating area bosses, made the Human Effigy effect function in this situation automatically.

Does that mean we can't be invaded after we clear the area boss?

In Black Gulch, made it possible to receive Forgotten Key after defeating a Giant when the player has 99 Souls of a Giant.
I don't get what they mean. Did you used to not get the key if you had 99 Souls of a Giant and killed a giant?

Does that mean we can't be invaded after we clear the area boss?

I don't get what they mean. Did you used to not get the key if you had 99 Souls of a Giant and killed a giant?

Yes and not be allowed to summon possibly.

No idea, to get the key you had to kill all the giants in that cave so you can get Giant Soul and the Key, Maybe you stop receiving a Giant Souls after 99 so probably It would not give you the key?

Christ some of those patch notes are some really dumb shit.

Agape ring: Dumbest fucking solution ever, holy shit.
Automatic effigy effect after killing bosses: GREAT, PVP IS GOING TO BE EVEN EMPTIER NOW.

GREAT. THANKS FROM. THANKS A FUCKING LOT

So assuming that Agape ring works as intended, is there a particular soul level the community is going to aim for in PVP?

I personally think that SL200 is a good stopping point, but since the connections are still done through Soul Memory that will still be impossible to enforce. I really don't think the Agape Ring is going to fix anything.

Edit: Actually, how about a goddamn un-cracked Red Eye Orb, FROM? THAT PLUS THE AGAPE RING MIGHT ACTUALLY HELP BUT NO, YOU HAD TO GET RID OF IT FOR NO REASON! Of all the things to not copy over from the first Dark Souls, why did they have to leave out the full Red Eye Orb?

Mistel

Banned
Agape Ring is a crappy bandaid for a broken system. Just disable SM for multiplayer activities for NG+ and beyond and everything is fine.
Not with the linking of playthroughs for multiplayer activity unless they don't do that anymore. But the ring ain't exactly a solution like you said.

chunk3rvd

Anyone know which merchants have level requirements before they'll speak to you? Going to use a soul vessel but I have 2 so figure I may as well use 1 to get all the merchants on my side then another to get my levels where I want them

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Anyone know which merchants have level requirements before they'll speak to you? Going to use a soul vessel but I have 2 so figure I may as well use 1 to get all the merchants on my side then another to get my levels where I want them

I know Carhillion of the Fold in No-Man's Wharf won't offer you anything unless you have at least 8 (or 10?) Intelligence.

chunk3rvd

I know Carhillion of the Fold in No-Man's Wharf won't offer you anything unless you have at least 8 (or 10?) Intelligence.

Is it just him, Felkin and Straid then? Think I'll respsec my FAI and INT to 20 each so I can get the Hexer's set off Felkin and get all 3 talking to me then respec to where I want to be

Mistel

Banned
Is it just him, Felkin and Straid then? Think I'll respsec my FAI and INT to 20 each so I can get the Hexer's set off Felkin and get all 3 talking to me then respec to where I want to be
It is correct only the those three require intelligence of 3 for straid, 8 INT/FTH for Felkin, and 8 int for Carhillion.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is playing a sword and shield tank viable for NG+? I'm not a fan of my build from my first run and have a couple soul vessels to mess around with for respecs. I kinda want to just plow through NG+ and get to NG++ as quickly as possible to wrap up the achievements.

Mistel

Banned
Is playing a sword and shield tank viable for NG+? I'm not a fan of my build from my first run and have a couple soul vessels to mess around with for respecs. I kinda want to just plow through NG+ and get to NG++ as quickly as possible to wrap up the achievements.
Yeah it's fine for the most part only Fume knight a dlc boss might hand your arse to you. Other than that you can sword and shield tank very well especially with a greatshield.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Christ some of those patch notes are some really dumb shit.

Agape ring: Dumbest fucking solution ever, holy shit.
Automatic effigy effect after killing bosses: GREAT, PVP IS GOING TO BE EVEN EMPTIER NOW.

GREAT. THANKS FROM. THANKS A FUCKING LOT

Uh, as I understand it they simply meant that you can't get invaded in an area directly after beating a boss. Plus they added an option to outright cancel the effect out whenever you wish. It's a non issue.

Am I remembering things wrong or didn't the first game disable invasions for areas in which you'd already beaten a boss? I honestly can't remember.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Uh, as I understand it they simply meant that you can't get invaded in an area directly after beating a boss. Plus they added an option to outright cancel the effect out whenever you wish. It's a non issue.

Am I remembering things wrong or didn't the first game disable invasions for areas in which you'd already beaten a boss? I honestly can't remember.
It did, and it forced people to leave bosses alive to continue PvPing. Still, it was great that DkS2 didn't do this by default. And it's shitty that they're changing it, because now that means far fewer people to invade.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh shit, I wasn't expecting those changes made to the No-Man's Wharf boss in NG+. It really caught me off guard. Still pretty damn easy though.

It did, and it forced people to leave bosses alive to continue PvPing. Still, it was great that DkS2 didn't do this by default. And it's shitty that they're changing it, because now that means far fewer people to invade.
Some people like to Co-Op after beating a boss and having to PvP while waiting to be summoned was obnoxious especially when the immunity to another invasion is shorter than the time it takes to get summoned. This way people who want to PvP can and the people who wanna Co-Op don't get swords in holes that were meant as an exit, not an entrance.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Yes but burning an effigy is a temporary effect, they'd outright state that they're disabling invasions outright in areas where the boss is beaten. But they specify that they add the effect of burning an effigy, which again, is temporary.

Methinks they just want to avoid players possibly getting invaded right after killing a boss, maybe you're low on Estus but you wanna explore a bit and you get invaded, lose your souls, respawn and then fuck up a second time and lose them forever. Adding a temporary effigy effect after defeating a boss makes it less likely to happen.

I mean they also added highlights for areas where you're more likely to get PVP action, something that would be completely unecessary if PVP was permanently disabled for areas that you've cleared.

A ring that prevents me from gaining souls?

Thanks but, no thanks. I prefer to buy arrows, upgrade my weapons and armor, etc.

I don't think many people would use that ring.

A ring that prevents me to gain souls?

Thanks but, no thanks. I prefer to buy arrows, upgrade my weapons and armor, etc.

Only for core PVP players in the Iron Keep and Invaders will need the ring for the SM meta, still the red cracked orbs are awful to use

PVE players got biggers bosses, I dont want to see the hitboxes after the change

Mistel

Banned
A ring that prevents me from gaining souls?

As Orochinagis it's pvp orientated considering that there's 44 tiers for SM with about 25 of them before a million it's more about staying in your desired tier. Depending how early it is available you effectively stay in the first tier with some of the stronger earlier weapons and dominate that bracket of 0-9999.

Top Bottom