• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Can't you already do 6 player PVP?

You can summon two friendly phantoms and can summon two red soapstone phantoms at the same time. Somebody can also invade you during that. (Or is there a cap if you've got two friendly phantoms?)

Can't you already do 6 player PVP?

You can summon two friendly phantoms and can summon two red soapstone phantoms at the same time. Somebody can also invade you during that. (Or is there a cap if you've got two friendly phantoms?)

Capped at 4 players regardless of mix.

6 is going to be nuts.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh wow, Illusorywall found some more cut areas: http://imgur.com/a/njm2t

An actual sword factory in the Iron Keep makes sense, especially since you find the ember there, the final picture is especially interesting, hints that the DLC may simply have been content that wasn't finished for the main game.

Edit: In case you missed it here's his imgur album for the cut areas in Earthen Peak: http://imgur.com/a/IsMVB

A lot of other cool little finds on his Tumblr

Edit: On the topic of SotfS, do you think the actual NPC will pretty much just replace Shanalotte if you complete a special condition? Aka he's the Kaathe of Dark Souls 2?

Mistel

Banned
Edit: On the topic of SotfS, do you think the actual NPC will pretty much just replace Shanalotte if you complete a special condition? Aka he's the Kaathe of Dark Souls 2?
Doubt it they're two very different characters from the description having that tree guy just randomly mulling around in place of herald would be weird.

SoldnerKei

Oh wow, Illusorywall found some more cut areas: http://imgur.com/a/njm2t

An actual sword factory in the Iron Keep makes sense, especially since you find the ember there, the final picture is especially interesting, hints that the DLC may simply have been content that wasn't finished for the main game.

Edit: In case you missed it here's his imgur album for the cut areas in Earthen Peak: http://imgur.com/a/IsMVB

A lot of other cool little finds on his Tumblr

that's pretty cool, that DLC hint it's interesting, and would kind of make sense if there was remains of the dlc tower near the Iron Keep, thanks for the share

What do you guys and gals think about the item discovery stat in this game?

Because the stat is hidden in DS2 when it wasn't before, I find myself wondering which discovery boosting gear is the best (other than the +1 +2 rings obviously), if they stack etc. Maybe it's just my imagination but it seems like sometimes I get better drop rates when I'm not fully stacked with 3 or 4 item discovery pieces and I'm just using say the ring.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when you do that - have as many pieces of equipment as possible - that sometimes it bugs out and they don't stack, or it only counts the last one you equipped maybe. I don't know, it's just my results tell me the stat isn't perfect or simply 1+1+1=3.

<---- Farming Loyce Souls.

Killed the last boss. Game took me 50 hours less than dark souls 1.

What do I need to do before going to ng+?
Look at the 'preparing for NG+' section here: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/New+Game+Plus

Careful if you don't want spoilers for NG+ as the page is generally about what changes there are in NG+.

Basically I would go round all the merchants and buy all their stuff. The titanite dealer in Majula especially since once you defeat Nashandra she starts selling chunks infinitely iirc. Also any side quests like Navlaan which I think you also can't do fully until now because you need an item an NPC gives you again only after killing Nashandra.

What do you guys and gals think about the item discovery stat in this game?

Because the stat is hidden in DS2 when it wasn't before, I find myself wondering which discovery boosting gear is the best (other than the +1 +2 rings obviously), if they stack etc. Maybe it's just my imagination but it seems like sometimes I get better drop rates when I'm not fully stacked with 3 or 4 item discovery pieces and I'm just using say the ring.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when you do that - have as many pieces of equipment as possible - that sometimes it bugs out and they don't stack, or it only counts the last one you equipped maybe. I don't know, it's just my results tell me the stat isn't perfect or simply 1+1+1=3.

<---- Farming Loyce Souls.

The drop rate in the DLC is pretty random, even with full search discovery gear your alt have the same posibilities of getting the same drop chances.

Killed the last boss. Game took me 50 hours less than dark souls 1.

What do I need to do before going to ng+?

-Do the Abyss covenant
-Do the Sun Covenant
-Do the Dragon Covenant
-Clear the Rat Bosses in Pharros Doors and the grave of Saints
-Get the Madman warior armor in the Sol Tower (Iron Keep)
-Unlock all the Pharos keys
-Find the 5 ashes stuff
-Find the 13 estus fragments
-Do the DLC areas
-Kill the Ancient Dragon and Vendrik
-Open the door in the Amana Shrine as a human after defeating Vendrik
-Do the Navlaan sidequest
-Do All the giant memories
-Help Lucatiel summoning her against three bosses at least then talk to her in Aldia's keep
-Help Benhart summoning him against at least three bosses then talk to him

-Find the Trident in Tseldora
-Unpetrify all the petrified npcs
-Fight Elana's pigs
-Be the hero of Betwixt
-Troll the Fume Knight as Velstadt
-Ragequit Sir Alonne
-Find the Deku tree in Shulva

The drop rate in the DLC is pretty random, even with full search discovery gear your alt have the same posibilities of getting the same drop chances.
Eh, I meant in general not only with concerns to the DLC. Maybe it's just seeing 'patterns' when there aren't really any there - I just seem to get better drops - throughout the game in general - when not stacked up with 3 or 4 item finding items equipped.

2AdEPT

Eh, I meant in general not only with concerns to the DLC. Maybe it's just seeing 'patterns' when there aren't really any there - I just seem to get better drops - throughout the game in general - when not stacked up with 3 or 4 item finding items equipped.

THis has been an issue for me since Demon's. I would SWEAR that the best way to farm bladestone in 4.2 was the first few runs AFTER switching to Black, with sword of searching, maxed item discovery ect. If you didnt get it in the first 10-20 tries start over....kill the tendency, de-equip, then start over. I would SWEAR there was a qualifier on the luck stat that went along with being "in-tough" whether that be a string of deaths (which would happen when you kill yourself in the world to make it black.) Yes I know they confirmed that black would increase drop rate, but no matter what you did, most agreed you could not get a certain drop's value to increase, you simply got more chance for any drop. I am skeptical there was not more to it...kind of like PT!

I got 2 pure bladestones within 5 minutes of farming the only two times I tried! ;)

Incidentally, the best I did getting Loyce souls was 3 in one go as a summon...both of us had the avarice head on, I had the robe and ring as well. There was another summon, but he didn't appear to have any gear on for item discovery.

THis has been an issue for me since Demon's. I would SWEAR that the best way to farm bladestone in 4.2 was the first few runs AFTER switching to Black, with sword of searching, maxed item discovery ect. If you didnt get it in the first 10-20 tries start over....kill the tendency, de-equip, then start over. I would SWEAR there was a qualifier on the luck stat that went along with being "in-tough" whether that be a string of deaths (which would happen when you kill yourself in the world to make it black.) Yes I know they confirmed that black would increase drop rate, but no matter what you did, most agreed you could not get a certain drop's value to increase, you simply got more chance for any drop. I am skeptical there was not more to it...kind of like PT!

I got 2 pure bladestones within 5 minutes of farming the only two times I tried! ;)

Incidentally, the best I did getting Loyce souls was 3 in one go as a summon...both of us had the avarice head on, I had the robe and ring as well. There was another summon, but he didn't appear to have any gear on for item discovery.
This reminded me of some things I've read about farming the stone guys in Drangleic Castle for slabs (not that anyone need to farm slabs in this game!) - that the percentage of getting a slab goes down over time. If that's so then there's definately more at play in the system than "this piece of armour = X percentage of item discovery".

It seems there's definately some other percentage incremental at play.

This reminded me of some things I've read about farming the stone guys in Drangleic Castle for slabs (not that anyone need to farm slabs in this game!) - that the percentage of getting a slab goes down over time. If that's so then there's definately more at play in the system than "this piece of armour = X percentage of item discovery".

It seems there's definately some other percentage incremental at play.

I remember reading somewhere that all drop rates increase with your NG+ level. I'm doing a NG+3 playthrough at the moment and just about everything is dropping stuff.

Started playing NG+ with Dual Bandit daggers. Stamina is up at 40 right now and with cloranthy ring +2 im seriously NEVER out of stamina.

It's not very viable for me in arena pvp since it's armorstacking/gowers/jesters/lag galore over there, but it's quite alot of fun in invasions. Daggers and a bow and i'm all set.

It's also completely DESTROYING bosses. I never figured daggers would be able to put out so much damage in such a short time. Powerstance L1 to R1 and repeat. MY GOD

Anustart

After completing the game I'd say its safe for me to say I liked it more than the first game and I'm anxious to start ng+, but I want to grab as much as possible first. I need to sunbro another 15 times or so, do the darkdiver stuff as well.

Was wondering though, since naavlan said he locked himself in there, is he aldia?

It is pretty random ,I usually use the prisioner set for item discovery but there are some report the Jester helmet dont stack with other item discovery gear and the lucky coin possibly dont stack with the item discovery gear.

After completing the game I'd say its safe for me to say I liked it more than the first game and I'm anxious to start ng+, but I want to grab as much as possible first. I need to sunbro another 15 times or so, do the darkdiver stuff as well.

Was wondering though, since naavlan said he locked himself in there, is he aldia?

Noup, He is probably
an experiment to bind or fuse souls in one body, one is the experiment guy (the one who talks to you when you are Human) and the pyromantic Navlaan (the one who talks to you when you are undead) who was killed when he was about to finish the "bring the dead to life" technique.

And looking at his wares you can find another scholars NPCs who possibly aided Aldia in his experiments

Mistel

Banned
I need to sunbro another 15 times or so, do the darkdiver stuff as well.

You can farm sunlight medals from the hollows on giants in harvest valley and from an enemy that's introduced in ng+.

Anustart

Do I get unique stuff if I let him out and kill him? I already brought the required items for his quests. Does killing him count as sin?

Mistel

Banned
Do I get unique stuff if I let him out and kill him? I already brought the required items for his quests. Does killing him count as sin?
Nothing that unique at all and you sin not that that matters much till you hit +10 or wretch status.
It's also completely DESTROYING bosses. I never figured daggers would be able to put out so much damage in such a short time. Powerstance L1 to R1 and repeat. MY GOD
Mail breakers might perform just as well or better depending on your stats.

I think he drop the chaos set except for his helmet compared to the full chaos set and other armors sets if you complete his quest chain

Haunted

I just remembered the closed doors inbetween Heide's Tower and Norman's Wharf. I was absolutely sure they'd be the pathways to the DLC areas, but that obviously didn't happen.

Hm.

Finally got 50 Loyce Souls. As tedious as that is, it's a walk in the park next to getting the Black Mage robe to drop. I should've started as a mage to get it but forgot so now I'm stuck feathering out of the Chariot boss after killing the two necromancers in there. It's shit like that and the black phantom drops that grinds my gears a bit with DS2. It's ok having rare drops, but very rare drops off enemies that spawn only once per game? Come on From Soft, that's bullshit.

I hate being OCD about getting every item :|

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
but it's fun to try!
Finally got 50 Loyce Souls. As tedious as that is, it's a walk in the park next to getting the Black Mage robe to drop. I should've started as a mage to get it but forgot so now I'm stuck feathering out of the Chariot boss after killing the two necromancers in there. It's shit like that and the black phantom drops that grinds my gears a bit with DS2. It's ok having rare drops, but very rare drops off enemies that spawn only once per game? Come on From Soft, that's bullshit.
Yeah, sure seems fun. ;)

There are two more Black mages in the huntsman are in the cave where you have to lift some torches.

The armor is pretty good against elemental resistances

Mistel

Banned
Sigh a sigh of relief in having them all of course!

Then start a new character and have it be completely meaningless, lol. Across the dozens of characters I've never actually got every item, but it's fun to try!
I had every weapon but not every item, not that's not exactly difficult to get them really with ascetics and all. Seems a bit of a meaningless goal to me but if you enjoy it then what ever floats your boat really, I'd probably have lost all sanity with the drop rates by that stage.

Anustart

Trying to do no bonfire/no death in the same run and I suddenly realized my folly. I did not stock up on repair powder's before leaving ng. I'm now out and sporting about 6 near broken weapons lol. Where can I find these babies? I'm currently in lost bastille, just killed the sentinels.

2AdEPT

this is one of the many situations where I totally endorse save editing.

Yeah, but they don't respawn.

They do for me! ;)

Trying to do no bonfire/no death in the same run and I suddenly realized my folly. I did not stock up on repair powder's before leaving ng. I'm now out and sporting about 6 near broken weapons lol. Where can I find these babies? I'm currently in lost bastille, just killed the sentinels.

Unfortunately the only place i can think of is with chancellor wellager in the Drangleic castle.You'll need a 1M SM or four end path boss souls to get in.

Anustart

this is one of the many situations where I totally endorse save editing.

Unfortunately the only place i can think of is with chancellor wellager in the Drangleic castle.You'll need a 1M SM or four end path boss souls to get in.

Ima trek back to majula so I can take nest to Bastille for the key. I'll Brea my weapons and repair.

Actually, I never tried to walk back through wharf > heide > majula. Can you open the gate in the sewer from heide side?

2AdEPT

Ima trek back to majula so I can take nest to Bastille for the key. I'll Brea my weapons and repair.

Actually, I never tried to walk back through wharf > heide > majula. Can you open the gate in the sewer from heide side?

Pretty sure you can.

Ok guys (lets face it those who are still hanging out here are pretty hard core Souls community members)....I started a thread on the topic of what games/media influenced souls, with a focus on what games the FROM team likley played as kids. Feel free to join the discussion if you have something to add.

There is a couple repair powder in the elevator shaft at Bastille from where the ship arrives via Flexible Sentry.

Other than that, gotta get to Wellager at Drangleic Castle.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just started a new playthrough, first time in a while, with Covenant of Champions. Couple bosses down, not really noticing it yet.

Anyway, wanted to ask recommendations for lighting/ENB/Gedosato mods. I don't want a bloomy, soft-focus mess or be forced to use a torch, but I do like the nice particle effects some of them have. What should I get?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Holy hell the Fume Knight is hard. First time fighting him, on NG+, and I can usually get through the first phase without getting hit, but the fire sword is tough as hell, especially the aoe.

Doesn't help that I am faith and he seems quite resilient to lightning. My +10 Lightning claymore chips away at him.

Just started a new playthrough, first time in a while, with Covenant of Champions. Couple bosses down, not really noticing it yet.

Anyway, wanted to ask recommendations for lighting/ENB/Gedosato mods. I don't want a bloomy, soft-focus mess or be forced to use a torch, but I do like the nice particle effects some of them have. What should I get?

The covenant of champions mostly cuts your coop experience, making the mobs stronger and just that, not entirely hard to be honest and you cant farm rep offline.

Holy hell the Fume Knight is hard. First time fighting him, on NG+, and I can usually get through the first phase without getting hit, but the fire sword is tough as hell, especially the aoe.

Doesn't help that I am faith and he seems quite resilient to lightning. My +10 Lightning claymore chips away at him.

Fight to his right side when he starts his second phase, the fire sword is easier to evade than his two blades phase about his aoe take yous distance and roll out.

Most of the DLCs bosses are highly resistance to everything but strike.

That Agape Ring sounds very interesting.

Yeah, From's Soul Memory compromise. Still not a perfect solution, but I like it. (Kind of sucks that it will take a ring slot, but will be nice that you can essentially "lock in" your PVP character at a certain Soul Level and Soul Memory.)

Dekanach

I really wish they have gotten rid of SM for ng+ and above. Giving up a ring slot so sm doesn't climb? Bleh.

Well, it's not the best solution tho but this tells me about the intention has From Software to at least gave you an option to improve your pvp and co-op experience. Yeah, utilise one ring slot kinda sucks and that imply to modify your character config. Maybe it may turns out a problem for some players, but of course, it's a matter of likeness.

A lot of this sounds great - a SM workaround, kind of. A way to make enemies not despawn (great for farming).

It does sound like there's going to be a lot more early game invasions now though, if people wear the Agape ring get through the game and invade FotG, this will be no different to Burg twink invasions.

edit - I don't mind about the ring slot, but not absorbing souls means you can't buy arrows etc.

Top Bottom