• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Some people like to Co-Op after beating a boss and having to PvP while waiting to be summoned was obnoxious especially when the immunity to another invasion is shorter than the time it takes to get summoned. This way people who want to PvP can and the people who wanna Co-Op don't get swords in holes that were meant as an exit, not an entrance.

You can prevent invasions by going into the boss chamber. It can get rather boring however, just staring at the walls for someone to summon you.

Panda Rin

I'm planning to jump back into the game for the DLC. Has the 60 fps weapon degrade issue been solved yet, or is there some workaround for it?

Mistel

Banned
Ancient Dragon is boring, but Sinh is amazing. Y'all crazy.
Not exactly it's moveset I think is awful that's fine mostly. It's the durability issue it creates with the 1.5 X damage it deals to weapons which coupled with already present durability issues makes it a pain for an actual fight.

Not exactly it's moveset I think is awful that's fine mostly. It's the durability issue it creates with the 1.5 X damage it deals to weapons which coupled with already present durability issues makes it a pain for an actual fight.

My poor Crypt Blacksword, it breaks in so few swings. Outside the bug, it is a great fight with a lot of similarities to Kalameet.

Im about 17 hours into DS2 and i'm liking it so far. I'm playing it blind but it seems easier than the other Souls games. I even beat two or three bosses on my first try. Never happened to me before. Regular enemies arent very difficult but they are more numerous than in the other games i think.

A few things annoy me though: i've had countless little bugs, mainly audio bugs where the voices/sounds just stop for no reason. Also i have a harder time knowing where i am/where to go, the game world isn't designed as well as in DS, for example. I thought warping would make it easier to go around but i kind of changed my mind on that. Actually i dont like going back to Majula for levelling up.

Anyway, just like with the other souls games, DS2 is a game i get into really easily and i hate having to turn it off when it's (already?!) time to go to bed.

If you had one tip to give me(go there for this weapon! Talk to that NPC! Or whatever) what would it be ?

Booshka

Im about 17 hours into DS2 and i'm liking it so far. I'm playing it blind but it seems easier than the other Souls games. I even beat two or three bosses on my first try. Never happened to me before. Regular enemies arent very difficult but they are more numerous than in the other games i think.

A few things annoy me though: i've had countless little bugs, mainly audio bugs where the voices/sounds just stop for no reason. Also i have a harder time knowing where i am/where to go, the game world isn't designed as well as in DS, for example. I thought warping would make it easier to go around but i kind of changed my mind on that. Actually i dont like going back to Majula for levelling up.

Anyway, just like with the other souls games, DS2 is a game i get into really easily and i hate having to turn it off when it's (already?!) time to go to bed.

If you had one tip to give me(go there for this weapon! Talk to that NPC! Or whatever) what would it be ?

Buy a rapier/estoc and a Mace, use the Mace on heavily armored targets, the rapier/estoc for everything else. Thrust and Strike damage does work in this game.

Speevy

Banned
Question: I think I accidentally screwed up an opportunity to blow up the wall beside the merchant in Cardinal Tower. There are no barrels there now.. Left, came back, and still nothing.

Can I do anything about this?

Buy a rapier/estoc and a Mace, use the Mace on heavily armored targets, the rapier/estoc for everything else. Thrust and Strike damage does work in this game.

thanks, I'll try that. I wouldn't have if you hadn't told me because I like playing with swords (using Heide's sword right now) but I also like trying new things ;)

Mistel

Banned
STR scaling gives better returns than DEX does so unless you're going DEX oriented it's best to just level it to minimum requirements or just the powerstance requirements.
Can I do anything about this?
Quit then start again it should pop back up if not you're going to need the Bastille key from the luna.

chunk3rvd

Quit then start again it should pop back up if not you're going to need the Bastille key from the luna.

The one and only opportunity I'll get to correct Storm on something about a Souls game ;)

Cardinal Tower is in the forest yeah? Try quitting like Storm suggested but if that doesn't work it's not the end of the world. You can get there in less than 60 seconds - from the bonfire just shoot down the ladder, run past the enemies, take a left through that room, run up the branch then double back on yourself. All you're missing out on is a tiny shortcut

Speevy

Banned
The one and only opportunity I'll get to correct Storm on something about a Souls game ;)

Cardinal Tower is in the forest yeah? Try quitting like Storm suggested but if that doesn't work it's not the end of the world. You can get there in less than 60 seconds - from the bonfire just shoot down the ladder, run past the enemies, take a left through that room, run up the branch then double back on yourself. All you're missing out on is a tiny shortcut

Are you talking about the area overlooking all the fire with the elevator?

If so, the doors are still locked.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
NG+ Fume knight down! He is like a more difficult King fight. At least with my build, it took a very long time to chip his health away. But great fight overall.

I beat his NG form a few days ago with another character after only a few tries. But the NG+ version with my faith character was quite tough.

I like to fight Sinh, he's kinda easy when you're alone but I always put down my signature and get the chance to fight him with other players. I always carry 2 weapons for different situations (i learned very early during my game that I had to carry more than one weapon) so I don't have any problems regarding weapon durability.

By the way, do you think that Sinh is one of the ancient dragons of DS one? The poison could be the result of Nito's attack...

By the way, do you think that Sinh is one of the ancient dragons of DS one? The poison could be the result of Nito's attack...

Not sure if Miasma could be something like poison but thats an interesting question!

Sinh doesnt had dragon scales probably by Gwyn's spears that deprived the dragons of theirs scales natural armor and got infected by Nito to do the final blow, He could probably hide in that cave until it was found by the people of Shulva 1000 years later.

And probably the scaless effect would be result of a rock texture of Kalameet's model in a pretty bad quality to check if Sinh have scales.

Mistel

Banned
Sinh does look like that it has like rock scales unlike Seath who was scalefree. As for the miasma poision stuff that was part of Sinh who "brew it" until Yorgh stabbed with his spear. Where for lack of a better description Sinh vomited said poison up.

Tarkus

I've recently been trying other weapons and configurations since I've basically used the Claymore in some form in all 3 games. I'm currently loving the Red Iron Twinblade. It's moveset is like a mix of several different weapon classes. This game has so many usuable weapons...I love it. Can anybody suggest some other weapons for STR/DEX build? I would love to try a good ultra greatsword; although, I found the "Greatsword" to be underwhelming because it's moveset is so easy to defend against in PVP and Zweihander is meh. It seems that almost every ultra greatsword person I battle has a plain old "Greatsword." Are the others useful?

Mistel

Banned
I've recently been trying other weapons and configurations since I've basically used the Claymore in some form in all 3 games. I'm currently loving the Red Iron Twinblade. It's moveset is like a mix of several different weapon classes. This game has so many usuable weapons...I love it. Can anybody suggest some other weapons for STR/DEX build? I would love to try a good ultra greatsword; although, I found the "Greatsword" to be underwhelming because it's moveset is so easy to defend against in PVP and Zweihander is meh. It seems that almost every ultra greatsword person I battle has a plain old "Greatsword." Are the others useful?
The drakekeeper greatsword is a shorter but stronger zwei but it's more of the same of the zwei pretty much. You'd probably enjoy either fume ultra greatsword which is a greatsheild and an ultra all in one pretty much which ends up with 430 damage and S/D scaling, and what I probably think you'll like the most is Yorgh spear which is a lance/twinblade hybrid which ends up with 300 damage and double B scaling.

chunk3rvd

Any reason to play through the DLC in NG+ beyond increased difficulty? Any notable/changed loot? Thinking of just taking my main character and blasting through NG++ to Wellager so I can put the game to one side for a few months and finish up some others before Bloodborne hits

Mistel

Banned
Any reason to play through the DLC in NG+ beyond increased difficulty? Any notable/changed loot? Thinking of just taking my main character and blasting through NG++ to Wellager so I can put the game to one side for a few months and finish up some others before Bloodborne hits
No everything you get you can get first time around. Nothing really changes other than the usual sans new drops.

If you're using an ultra great class weapon in PVP you should try having a fast weapon in the other hand to protect against backstabs. If I miss a swing with my Pursuer's UGS I stay locked on and then just mash attack with my dagger and the tracking takes care of any backstab attempts.

---

I started a new character last night in preparation for the upcoming patch and I saw a new (to me) attack from the Pursuer. It managed to snag me with the blue sword poke and then right after it spewed a bunch of homing dark magic at me and I was beyond dead. I really like that in the Souls games you can play them for hundreds if hours and still be surprised by enemies and bosses you've fought a dozen times.

Edit: Also, low soul memory bell tower invasions + the Estoc = everybody dies! I need 48 chunks for my build, so I'll be there for a while :D

Speevy

Banned
I just fought the Skeleton Lords. This is the worst boss in DS history. I just followed them around the room taking no damage for several minutes while casting magic, knocking each of them down to one health.

Then I killed the last one with full health, and one of those wheel things killed me.

I just...ugh

I just fought the Skeleton Lords. This is the worst boss in DS history. I just followed them around the room taking no damage for several minutes while casting magic, knocking each of them down to one health.

Then I killed the last one with full health, and one of those wheel things killed me.

I just...ugh

Sounds pretty weird (and sad) to be killed by a wheel skeleton in DS2.

chunk3rvd

Trying to plough through NG++ to grab the 4 lord souls and run to Wellager. Those 2 red phantoms near the entrance to the gutter are wrecking me harder than anything I've encountered so far :/ I know I don't even need to kill them but my OCD wants me to. The melee guy hits like a tank and the faith guy is pelting me with lightning spears while I'm trying to deal with the other. Think I need to pop a bright bug and try once more!

I'm trying to level up as blue sentinels. I have been playing as a faith-based caster and I'd say I have about 50% win rate. But I can't be sure, since it feels like I have spent hundreds of thousands of souls into cracked blue eye orbs, and I haven't even hit 50 kills yet.

Is there any way to know how many kills I have left until next covenant levelup? With sunbros it was easy, you had medals. Not that easy with soul-police?

I just...ugh
They're super easy, but think of the Skeleton Lords as this game's Pinwheel. It's a super easy boss, but it's as easy as you want it to be. Like Pinwheel you can go there first thing and try and kill him with the half a dozen firebombs you get at Firelink and have him summon a handful of clones and dodge the magic blasts, or you can go to the Catacombs after Anor Londo and one-shot him or let Leeroy do it for you any time.

Skellies are the same to me, I like the mechanic of them spawning minions - it's up to you if you play safe or dangerous - go there asap after killing Dragonrider and kill all 3 immediately leaving a roomful of mini-skellies and you with your starter weapon or magic mace - dodging and stamina management is more at play here. Plus you need to go this route for the ember, so if you're doing any kind of special run you're probably going to want to do them very early making it at least a bit more challenging.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The dlc is so good. The first one was OK, but the second two are so long and the level design is really good.

Fume knight and sir alonne combo was amazing boss wise.

SoldnerKei

The dlc is so good. The first one was OK, but the second two are so long and the level design is really good.

Fume knight and sir alonne combo was amazing boss wise.

except for the Blue
Smelter Demon
he is an ass, and the reward is pretty meh to me, at least they gave you a pretty dress for beating the gank trio on first DLC P: (I am still salty that the dress wasn't part of a set)

thou yeah, level wise, this dungeon remainded me of a Zelda dungeon, pretty good lvl imo

gaugebozo

I just started playing again after a break that started around the release of the 2nd DLC. Have the best PvE builds changed appreciably? Have they fixed the lightning spear half damage/half casts thing?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Any favorite weapons for a no shield two handed run through of the game? Ideally you could get it early on so that most of the playthrough is done with that one weapon.

I have already done a caestus runthrough.

I just started playing again after a break that started around the release of the 2nd DLC. Have the best PvE builds changed appreciably? Have they fixed the lightning spear half damage/half casts thing?

Noup, still nerfed.

Any favorite weapons for a no shield two handed run through of the game? Ideally you could get it early on so that most of the playthrough is done with that one weapon.

Bastard Sword and the Heide's Sword are the best earlier swords you can find then the sinner greaxtsword and later on the claymore from vengarl

You get the Greatsword in No-Man's Wharf, which can be accessed very early on. You can go straight from Majula and kill the Dragonrider, then sprint through to the Greatsword by Gavlan in the Wharf. My first playthrough of the game was just that sword with no shield and it was awesome.

Speevy

Banned
Finally beat that spider queen. Now I have all four great souls. I think I'll look for optional bosses and collect items before I move forward.

This game needs a boss that's similar to those knife throwing flip guys.

ElFly

My favorite early weapons are in Forest of Fallen Giants.

Heide Sword and Fire Longsword 4 lyfe yo.

Heide could take you all the way to the endgame. Maybe the DLC left it behind but it is still a great initial, super early option.

Mistel

Banned
Heide could take you all the way to the endgame. Maybe the DLC left it behind but it is still a great initial, super early option.
Handles the dlc quite well actually most of the time other than issues with a few bosses that're lightning resistant where it does not really work all that well.
A bandit great axe from the gutter, off gavlan for the gyrm greataxe/buy 16000 souls worth of stuff, morning star, estoc old knight greatsword, bastard sword, pursuer ultra greatsword, and maybe a shotel. I can think of a few more but they're more subjective for a specific builds than my other suggestions.

Whats the best low strength/dex weapon I can get and upgrade if im late game?

Im at the Dragon Shrine and a lot of the stuff is immune to my magic attacks.

I rather not upgrade my St/Dex right now as I continue to focus on my Sorcerer build.

I was thinking about the Fire Longsword but im not sure.

Mistel

Banned
Whats the best low strength/dex weapon I can get and upgrade if im late game?

Im at the Dragon Shrine and a lot of the stuff is immune to my magic attacks.

I rather not upgrade my St/Dex right now as I continue to focus on my Sorcerer build.

I was thinking about the Fire Longsword but im not sure.
A bastard sword would probably be better if you can two hand it to meet the requirements further reach and stronger would help with the drakekeepers and dragon knights failing that a plain old mace would be fine. Without knowing you STR/DEX I assume you've not really got enough to use something like a dragon rider halberd which is 18/17 as although it's split damage with magic and physical it would make use of your INT stat.

A bastard sword would probably be better if you can two hand it to meet the requirements further reach and stronger would help with the drakekeepers and dragon knights failing that a plain old mace would be fine. Without knowing you STR/DEX I assume you've not really got enough to use something like a dragon rider halberd which is 18/17 as although it's split damage with magic and physical it would make use of your INT stat.

Thanks for the answer, I might level my str/dex for the Dragonrider if its worth it, but I just checked the wiki and it only has a INT scaling D, when infused with magic....is it still worth it like that?

Top Bottom