• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Tarkus

It's basically a zwei with a different 1h rolling attack and the extension for the two handed and the bleed aux, it ends up with 300 damage and B/B scaling at max.
Guess I'll have to stop procrastinating and do the DLC. I started the Sunken King but I just got bored with the first area.

It's hard for me to get away from Iron Keep bridge; it's like crack.

Mistel

Banned
Guess I'll have to stop procrastinating and do the DLC. I started the Sunken King but I just got bored with the first area.

It's hard for me to get away from Iron Keep bridge; it's like crack.
That's from the 3rd DLC so you don't need to do anything from the 1st if you don't want to the resultant reward for completing all three is pretty crap and can be achieved and kept far easier than the reward is.

Tarkus

I really like Eleum Loyce. Worth the money. Nice little PvP area at the Cathedral bonfire. Just gotta find the Loyce Knights when I get tired of watching the Super Bowl.
Then hopefully the Ivory Ultra will be mine.

Tarkus

I liked it for a long time (not DS1 level) but got totally burnt out on it. I can't believe I haven't played the third DLC yet.
When I finish the DLC and finally move into a soul memory tier where things start getting ridiculous, I don't see myself starting another build. Going back to DS1 and Demon's.

I liked it for a long time (not DS1 level) but got totally burnt out on it. I can't believe I haven't played the third DLC yet.

Yeah, I got burned out as well but then wasn't able to play for about 3 months due to being out of town for work. When I came back I actually really started to enjoy it again. Oddly enough, I feel less burned out by DS2 then I did by DS1 at equivalent hour counts, even though I like DS1 better. It might be because there's more content in DS2 (especially when you factor in the DLC) and less tedious stuff in the last half of the game (IMO at least -- I never look forward to the Duke's Archives or Lost Izalith, and it makes the last part of DS1 a bit tiring for me).

The level design of all 3 of the DLC is some of the best in the game. Maybe that doesn't say much, there aren't many areas I think have great design (as in level layout and map, not aesthetically) in the base game - but all 3 DLC areas have twisty-turny shortcuts and branching paths and they're each pretty big too. The enemy and boss design is what falls flat for me, but in terms of map design and layout I think they redeemed themselves a little bit.

And I didn't finish the third DLC when it first game out either I was totally burned out, but came back to it recently for a casual run and ended up playing through several times.

The enemy and boss design is what falls flat for me

I agree that the enemies are not the greatest (especially since all 3 DLCs seem to use that same boring "Large Hollow" with lots of HP and poise design), but I loved a lot of the bosses in the DLCs. Fume Knight is probably my favorite boss in the entire game. I also really enjoyed Sir Alonne (but NOT the run to him, ugh), the Ivory King, and Aava. Not too fond of Elana and Sinh, though.

(And this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually had fun with the Gank Squad...)

Tarkus

I agree that the enemies are not the greatest (especially since all 3 DLCs seem to use that same boring "Large Hollow" with lots of HP and poise design), but I loved a lot of the bosses in the DLCs. Fume Knight is probably my favorite boss in the entire game. I also really enjoyed Sir Alonne (but NOT the run to him, ugh), the Ivory King, and Aava. Not too fond of Elana and Sinh, though.

(And this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually had fun with the Gank Squad...)
The poise of Eleum Loyce enemies is reasonable compared to Shulva.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The problem with bosses like the Gank Squad, Elana, the kittens, etc. is that they're actually pretty fun to coop, but a huge pain in the ass to solo. But they shouldn't be. S&O are fun to both coop and solo, so were the Sentinels, the Belfry Gargoyles (both versions IMO), Maneaters, and other 2v1 or 3v1 bosses.

The problem with bosses like the Gank Squad, Elana, the kittens, etc. is that they're actually pretty fun to coop, but a huge pain in the ass to solo. But they shouldn't be. S&O are fun to both coop and solo, so were the Sentinels, the Belfry Gargoyles (both versions IMO), Maneaters, and other 2v1 or 3v1 bosses.
Agree 100%.

They also made bosses in each DLC with these gauntlet runs of enemies before the boss fog that are just a chore, They're all optional clone bosses (Smelter, Gank Squad, 2 cats) so maybe they thought it was a special "extra challenge" or something, I don't know but it's not fun or challenging really just tedious. And they all have 2 co-op NPC summons so like Morrigan says they're designed for co-op it seems, but not so much fun to do solo.

Ugh. I feel like there's definitely something wrong when they need a chart like this to explain Scholar of the First Sin:

DWdAsxv.png

I'm looking forward to the new NPC in the update, but that's about it.

2AdEPT

I totally hear you, I have picked up other stuff to do as well, where normally its souls, souls, souls.... but the third DLC, the frozen eleum loyce and the Bone Fist in particular is a major insertion into the series. I hadnt played much PVP since sparring with you in the Depths in DS1 a long time ago, but the bone fist brought back the allure for sure as its just two fun to drop kick peeps in the face (one time in this video I hit two invaders at once!).

Ugh. I feel like there's definitely something wrong when they need a chart like this to explain Scholar of the First Sin:

I'm looking forward to the new NPC in the update, but that's about it.

Yeah there is no way I am buying it unless its either huge discount for previous PC owners, or the graphics are confirmed that much better. I have my suspicions that the mods available are jsut a as good or better regardless.
Just out of curiosity, the Blossom Kite Shield is the best stamina recovery shield right?

Yes it is.

Is that because of its stats or is it the stamina recovery that is better? I never used shieldsfor blocking much, but I put the slumbering dragoncrest one on my back for stamina regen.....would the Blosson Kite be any different for that? LIghter?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, when you need a complicated chart to highlight various versions of one thing, it's a bad sign. Consider those Watch Dogs pre-order versions, how we mocked that table. Different thing but still ridiculous.

So no dragon in Heide's for PS3/360 players :(

lol, seriously I don't care about this really. I'll pick up SOFS for dirt cheap when I eventually get a PS4. It's kind of shady, but I've had more than my money's worth out of DS2.

Mistel

Banned
Is that because of its stats or is it the stamina recovery that is better? I never used shieldsfor blocking much, but I put the slumbering dragoncrest one on my back for stamina regen.....would the Blosson Kite be any different for that? LIghter?
The actual regen figures for stamina I've heard for blossom kite shield vary between ~3.6-5% increase not seen a definite percentage anywhere apart from a ~5% cross the board for all stamina shields somewhere.

The blossom kite shield is the best one for the regen as it is lighter than the rest of the shields with a weight of 4 units meaning less equip load therefore faster regen of stamina coupled with the regen the shield offers.

Tarkus

The actual regen figures for stamina I've heard for blossom kite shield vary between ~3.6-5% increase not seen a definite percentage anywhere apart from a ~5% cross the board for all stamina shields somewhere.

The blossom kite shield is the best one for the regen as it is lighter than the rest of the shields with a weight of 4 units meaning less equip load therefore faster regen of stamina coupled with the regen the shield offers.
I keep it on my back but if one had to use it, it reduces physical damage by 82-ish % vs the 58% of Slumbering Dragon Shield. And it doesn't look like a pile of dragon feces on your back.

Mistel

Banned
I keep it on my back but if one had to use it, it reduces physical damage by 82-ish % vs the 58% of Slumbering Dragon Shield. And it doesn't look like a pile of dragon feces on your back.
The blossom kite shield can also be made to block 100% of poison damage by infusing it with poison.

2AdEPT

I didn't know this, nice. Don't really know a lot about good infusions on shields, except that the magic magic shield blocks 100%... magic! That's about it.

I still think the most under-rated shield is the Transgressor...at 0.3 weight it hardly weighs anything and can be infused with dark to get 100% dark resist. (that coming from someone who does not need ot block much phyiscal with it ;))

I still think the most under-rated shield is the Transgressor...at 0.3 weight it hardly weighs anything and can be infused with dark to get 100% dark resist. (that coming from someone who does not need ot block much phyiscal with it ;))
I should try this out now as I've been farming the Monastary set in Aldia's but also set free Navlaan, so every time I ascetic the bonfire I have to face him again and I've been one-shot quite a few times. (I know I can just run past him, but that's no fun!)

Mistel

Banned
I didn't know this, nice. Don't really know a lot about good infusions on shields, except that the magic magic shield blocks 100%... magic! That's about it.
There's that for the blossom kite shield, the 100% dark damage thing for the transgressors shield, and the rampart golem shield with it's possible 100% for everything sans poison and bleed with the right infusion e.g 100% lighting from lightning infusion to name a few.

That shield is way too good, especially since you get it right at the beginning of the game if you pre-ordered. From the weight (0.3!!!) to the stability (53, higher than nearly all other small shields) to the 100% dark protection, it's a real beast. Supposedly it has fewer parry frames than other small shields but I don't know if that's true; I've had no trouble landing parries while using it.

The next best small shield after that one would definitely be the Llewellyn Shield, which is also simply too good. It's super balanced in damage reduction (~90 physical, ~70 everything else), weighs 2.5 (lighter than a lot of much worse shields), and it looks pretty nice as well. It also shares the 53 stability of the Transgressor's Leather Shield, which when you consider that this one is a metal shield, that makes little sense.

Or you could use the Golden Falcon Shield, because it is clearly the best looking shield in the game and fashion is all that matters in Souls games.

---

Edit: Bonk Souls 2

http://giant.gfycat.com/YoungFaroffCondor.webm

New Scholar of the First Sin trailer. Some interesting new enemy placements. Mostly I'm just interested in this new NPC. His voice acting sounds great (as is typical in Souls). And I believe we're getting all the new story stuff in the free update tomorrow, so that's cool.

Steam sale.

Yeah, I'll get it if it's a $10 or less upgrade on PC (if you already own all the DLC). Anything over that and I just don't see it being worth it. It should be similar to what Eidos Montreal did with the Directors Cut of Human Revolution.

I'm going to get Scholar of the first sin for the XB1 since I'm not going to play Bloodborne soon.

For some reason I can play DSII without getting tired of it, which is something I can't say about DS one. I still liked more the first Dark Souls, but it is a pretty tiring game, specially at the end

I'll try to play as a caster for the first time in the series. That will be fun.

2AdEPT

I'm going to get Scholar of the first sin for the XB1 since I'm not going to play Bloodborne soon.

For some reason I can play DSII without getting tired of it, which is something I can't say about DS one. I still liked more the first Dark Souls, but it is a pretty tiring game, specially at the end

I'll try to play as a caster for the first time in the series. That will be fun.

there is near endless opportunities for replayability for both games, but after already soaking 3000 hours in to demons and dark1, dark 2 is all I will likely do for a while...until bloodborne, but have had to pick up a few different games recently as getting my every few years burnout on souls..I always come back though. I can easily see though that I will pick up all the games here and there and do a new run I didint try til death (my own not just in game.)

I think I'm weird in the fact that I've put over 300 hours into dark souls xbox, dark souls pc and dark souls 2 but I only ever made one character on each. I go through the story and stay in NG+ for pvp and that is where most of my time is spent. I have never played a mage character.

Anybody else having problems connecting on the 360?

There was an update that needed downloading this morning, now I can't connect because it says I need to download a compatibility pack (which I already got) but every time it asks if I want to download it from the store it says it can't be found.

So now I can only play in offline mode. Which kinda sucks.

maomaoIYP

The latest patch broke the game. It says that I do not have the latest version of the game even though I just updated it. Now I can't play online.

Bulk_Rate

The latest patch broke the game. It says that I do not have the latest version of the game even though I just updated it. Now I can't play online.

EDIT: Fixed. Problem disappeared as soon as the servers went back online. Go figure.

Not trying to create general panic, but I just bought the game last night, played for 10 mins or so and marveled at the 55-60fps constant framerate. This morning I fired up the game and it is stuttering, only running approx 30fps with pauses here and there.

DId not change a thing on my PC or game since last night.

Downloaded the patch, gonna go meet the Scholar now, see what he has to say and then find that ring, no other new items or events besides some item descriptions and general tweaks right?

Edit - wait
He's a boss too?
I'm reading all the spoilery shit on reddit, I didn't know about this before now that's kinda cool.

Haunted

New patch content spoilers

The new boss looks cheap as fuck. :lol

The three Aldia encounters are nice, shedding some light on the path to the monarch thing and reiterating how the DLC kings and both Aldia and Vendrick failed to find a cure for the curse - or more generally, a way to fight the curse. I think the story and Aldia's character were fine beforehand, shrouded in mystery and all - but this doesn't feel out of place either. Might've been planned as part of the main game but they needed to cut it or something.

Top Bottom