• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I legitimately thought the "Use torch" messages were trolling, I thought the longarm dudes would go into a frenzy or something, went through it without using the torch at all :lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Uh, did the patch remove Melinda the Butcher or something? Just went through the Gutter in NG+ with my friend, first time and all, and she was nowhere to be found. We explored the whole place too, and the whole of the Black Gulch (killing the giants and all).

2AdEPT

I am, but there always seems to be one who doesn't care about my scary fire :/. Are there any weapons that work particularly well against them? I'm' playing around with a Longsword right now (this it's around +5 at the moment) and they seem like they take way too many hits before dying, around 5-6

Fire Longsword I guess?

I used the
lockstone
immediately on my first playthrough and had no issue with the darkstalkers after that...although they retreat, I still killed them all, without torches, but they are considerably easier one at a time with the advent of the
lockstone

ArynCrinn

Banned
You know what I find incredibly stupid, and of course this patch didn't address? Agility's scaling.

Let me explain the stupidity, it scales with ADP and...Attunement. Why Attunement? Why?!

It makes no sense whatsoever, it forces all builds to invest into ATU for zero reason just to jack up Agility (that imo we should have had the same i-frames as DS1 from the start) with ADP. Why not let it scale with END and ADP? Makes more sense, endurance and adaptibility seem to be preconditions realistically for being more Agile...right? Not only that but every build that level bumps up END anyway, so it's a natural scaling solution and eliminates this issue, also would make staying at lower SL's more viable for PvP.

But no, want more Agility, pump Attunement, why the hell they did that is anybody's guess, but I think it's stupid. Mainly because I like my i-frames and my pure melee chars, which I never invest into ATU for anything. So yeah, just to get that off my chest.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know what I find incredibly stupid, and of course this patch didn't address? Agility's scaling.

Let me explain the stupidity, it scales with ADP and...Attunement. Why Attunement? Why?!

It makes no sense whatsoever, it forces all builds to invest into ATU for zero reason just to jack up Agility (that imo we should have had the same i-frames as DS1 from the start) with ADP. Why not let it scale with END and ADP? Makes more sense, endurance and adaptibility seem to be preconditions realistically for being more Agile...right? Not only that but every build that level bumps up END anyway, so it's a natural scaling solution and eliminates this issue, also would make staying at lower SL's more viable for PvP.

But no, want more Agility, pump Attunement, why the hell they did that is anybody's guess, but I think it's stupid. Mainly because I like my i-frames and my pure melee chars, which I never invest into ATU for anything. So yeah, just to get that off my chest.

Why would you put points in Attunement to raise your agility stat when each point invested in ADP increases it more? I don't get your complaints. It's not like investing 1:1 between ADP and ATT has some magical synergy effect, right?

I mean putting it into ADP increases the agility stat more than attunement, so why waste that stat on ATT to begin with??? I get sexy i-frames and fast estus and I haven't put a single point into that stat used only by filthy magic users.

Edit: Unless you're talking about some kind of NG+9001 stat ceiling effect for ADP?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, ATT barely raises agility, it's probably just so that mages aren't -that- squishy. If you want to raise agility per se, ADP is the way to go.

I think they probably tied agility to attunement as well as ADP for spell-users who would be investing stat points in att and a magic stat at the expense of other stats. Or that would be the case if Soul Level mattered any more, maybe at some point they were still taking SL into consideration but then SM came along and made it obsolete other than as a gatekeeper to equipment.

I've never found the need to level up attunement though if I wasn't using magic, I have a sweetspot for agility that I can get easy enough from just ADP.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Only way to get the original DS1 i-frames which is basically 115 Agility is to invest in Attune... Yeah, sucks if you want max i-frames. Honestly it's dumb it didn't just start with this and Agility didn't exist at all, but the reality is for most I suppose SL120-150 you want your i-frames as high as possible, and simpleton's ring only helps below at certain point, unlike DWGR. The max Agility I think is 120 with 99ATT and 99ADP, that's retarded. Plus, stamina regens way too slowly to have that fast paced combat of previous games even with max stamina regen gear and naked...

Only way to get the original DS1 i-frames which is basically 115 Agility is to invest in Attune... Yeah, sucks if you want max i-frames. Honestly it's dumb it didn't just start with this and Agility didn't exist at all, but the reality is for most I suppose SL120-150 you want your i-frames as high as possible, and simpleton's ring only helps below at certain point, unlike DWGR. The max Agility I think is 120 with 99ATT and 99ADP, that's retarded. Plus, stamina regens way too slowly to have that fast paced combat of previous games even with max stamina regen gear and naked...

Actually, 105 Agility will net you 13 i-frames, which is what the fast roll would give you in Dark Souls 1. This means you could have 25 Attunement (5 slots) along with 25 Adaptability for the 105 Agility total.

It's silly that i-frames are tied to stats, but it's not unreasonable at all to get it close to DkS1.

zeox

I used the
lockstone
immediately on my first playthrough and had no issue with the darkstalkers after that...although they retreat, I still killed them all, without torches, but they are considerably easier one at a time with the advent of the
lockstone

holy crap, I had completely forgotten about that. I've finished this game 4 times and I forgot that :S. I'll blame the fact that it was 6am when I was making my way through it :p

For me it's not so much about the number of iframes but the roll animation itself. I can get along fine with less frames than DS1, but the difference in the animation is what catches me, I found it took a longer time to get used to where the sweetspot is in the roll in DS2 than DS1. It might look less 'realistic' in DS1, but the arch of the roll is easier to judge visually where the i-frames. Since the number of them changes in DS2 it means it took me longer to get used to the flatter/longer roll animation.

ElFly

For me it's not so much about the number of iframes but the roll animation itself. I can get along fine with less frames than DS1, but the difference in the animation is what catches me, I found it took a longer time to get used to where the sweetspot is in the roll in DS2 than DS1. It might look less 'realistic' in DS1, but the arch of the roll is easier to judge visually where the i-frames. Since the number of them changes in DS2 it means it took me longer to get used to the flatter/longer roll animation.

IFrames should be hinted at the player by making the character flash slightly or something.

Particularly in DS2 where the system is more flexible about it.

JerkShep

For the lore experts, how many descriptions have they actually updated? Vaati in his videos says a lot, but I heard the opposite from a couple of friends

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it here, I haven't noticed, but everyone should check the chest in the mansion at Majula, they updated it with all those reskin weapons from when the DLC came out.

strafer

just started a new game and quickly remembered how much I absolutely hate No-Man's Warf. Any tips on how to hate it less?

Fuck. That. Place.

I was on the docks leading to the ship, some guys came running for me and I got scared and backpeddled right into the water.

dat start over from the beginning

didn't play for about 3 days.

Fucking rage.

Mistel

Banned
Anyone tried building a twink with the Agape Ring yet?
You get to straid to buy it with about ~30000+ SM depending on the route you take to get the branch of yore and the path to Bastille you take. With that you are roughly around tier 4, it depends what tier you want to get into and play at, the higher you go you've got a bit more play around what you use.

There's not really a build per se as there's a lot of variety with what you can do with that amount of souls you've got. Ideally though if you wanted to stay in the lower tiers where there's likely to be less stat investment, generally you would want the strongest weapon you can find e.g mace/morning star and two hand. Along whilst starting off as a knight so you've got higher VIG to take a few more hits.

I did a mothball run that got there about ~45K or so without much hassle. Probably could do better than that but it was more of a proof of concept run than anything else.
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it here, I haven't noticed, but everyone should check the chest in the mansion at Majula, they updated it with all those reskin weapons from when the DLC came out.
EasyD did last page towards the bottom.
For the lore experts, how many descriptions have they actually updated? Vaati in his videos says a lot, but I heard the opposite from a couple of friends
The last giant soul, ironclad set, kings ring, majestic greatsword, ruler sword, and the rotten soul are the only thing different

ArynCrinn

Banned
Actually, 105 Agility will net you 13 i-frames, which is what the fast roll would give you in Dark Souls 1. This means you could have 25 Attunement (5 slots) along with 25 Adaptability for the 105 Agility total.

It's silly that i-frames are tied to stats, but it's not unreasonable at all to get it close to DkS1.

Yeah, sorry, knew it was somewhere between 100-115. Still, the Attunement investment is stupid imo. Would be far better if swapped for END = everybody benefits regardless.

Still though, you understand that you're talking about a 50 level investment just to get back what we should have immediately started the game with, that's beyond ridiculous for people who like going low level. Combined with the lack of a great "visual signpost" of the roll animation Red mentioned making dodging not only numbers consistent 100% of the time but also visually consistent where the controls eventually become a extension of your thoughts, muscle memory. Combined with the much sloppier and much less tighter movement calibration AND bad hitboxes and you can begin to see the major problems still unfixed with Dark Souls II. Not to mention Poise being totally broken and pretty much nonsensical, stunlocking Havel's with dagger R1 spam say's it all. It's just mechanically and technically from a controls standpoint inferior game on a accounts, from a controls perspective.

Anyway.

When is this supposed to trigger? I started a new game, new char. At SL68 now and just beat the Rotten after a bunch other other bosses/shenanigans. ;p

ElFly

You get to straid to buy it with about ~30000+ SM depending on the route you take to get the branch of yore and the path to Bastille you take. With that you are roughly around tier 4, it depends what tier you want to get into and play at, the higher you go you've got a bit more play around what you use.

There's not really a build per se as there's a lot of variety with what you can do with that amount of souls you've got. Ideally though if you wanted to stay in the lower tiers where there's likely to be less stat investment, generally you would want the strongest weapon you can find e.g mace/morning star and two hand. Along whilst starting off as a knight so you've got higher VIG to take a few more hits.

I did a mothball run that got there about ~45K or so without much hassle. Probably could do better than that but it was more of a proof of concept run than anything else.

EasyD did last page towards the bottom.

The last giant soul, ironclad set, kings ring, majestic greatsword, ruler sword, and the rotten soul are the only thing different

I noticed the Giant's Kinship too.

Neat, Belfry invasions sometimes yield a twinkling it seems. Also, I defeated NG+ Lost Sinner on one of my character, it was his only remaining great soul before Drangleic, and I saw the new NPC. Took me the hell by surprise, haha. I'm guessing he shows up for whichever Great Soul is killed last before the Shrine of Winter, instead of the Rotten in particular?

Yup. If you killed all the Great Souls pre-patch he will be at The Rotten. He will show up at whichever is killed last thereafter.

Mistel

Banned
It also sounds like its got the 60fps bug:
I noticed that the Fire Long Sword, a powerful early-game weapon that saved my butt countless times on PS3, seemed to be way less durable in this version
It's further down in the article towards the bottom.
Who here is going to go for an Agape Ring build? I just picked up mine with a new character, with 30K SM. It might be fun to do some ~SL70 PVP.
I've got a rough idea of one that should work pretty well but it's aiming more for a tier than a desired level itself.

It would be cool of the Agape ring showed the amount of souls it's stolen from me. Not something that's really needed, just something that'd be cool, like the death counter.

Quite a fw and some are very spoilerish if you are new to the game. (woot)

It would be cool of the Agape ring showed the amount of souls it's stolen from me. Not something that's really needed, just something that'd be cool, like the death counter.

That would be interesting like the death board in Majula.

It also sounds like its got the 60fps bug:

It's further down in the article towards the bottom.

I've got a rough idea of one that should work pretty well but it's aiming more for a tier than a desired level itself.

Bleh so PS4 and Xbox One players will get the bad PC port?

Mistel

Banned
Bleh so PS4 and Xbox One players will get the bad PC port?
Sounds like it, the article doesn't really go into much detail other than that. Doesn't help the author didn't know it existed at all.

But in the photos there's one of the new weapons for the next gen version which is the dark sword, there's probably going to be the rest of the DS1 weapons that were cut from the current versions but are still in the game the dragon greataxe and smoughs hammer.

The PC version is the best version, though...

I would gladly have the durability bug if it means I get 60FPS. The durability bug only really affects me occasionally, and I like using more than one weapon anyway.

Booshka

I just had 3 Great Clubs in my inventory at all times on PC lol. Just quick swap whenever one got close to breaking.

For those of you that have been playing at 30 FPS on consoles, the durability bug isn't that big of a deal, the game runs and plays so much better at 60 FPS.

Also ties in to Aryn's concern about i-frame visibility on rolls, it's much easier to learn at 60 FPS. I totally agree that having i-frames tied to stats is terrible, especially for those that like lower level builds, or min/maxing more efficiently. Dark Souls 2 across the board is all about maxing, since gouging all of your stats just makes you stupid tanky with resistances.

The article says it was just the Fire longsword though, and it seems it is intentional since a producer addressed that and said there would be other changes to other weapons.

I suppose we'll find out eventually.

Soooooo Decided to end the DLC and some leftovers on my main run

Ivory King down

Not sure if was a bug but managed the Loyce soldiers to close the doors, the Loyce king appeared, moved to the main platform and didnt move at all so me and another guy mauled him to dead.

Those poors soldiers died for me? bummer and of course the boss is nearly inmune to sorceries, again.

Got the final crown and got buffed by the grand nameku king whatever Vendrik in a shitty cutscene that doesnt explain anything at all.

Got one last visit to the death altar to talk with the Milfanito lady

Ascetic the bonfire in Drangelic and fight the three bosses in a row.

Defenders battle

Yup, as cheap as I remember, also took my time and one of them revived his downed bro, didnt see that before.

Nashandra.
Yup, Not worth my powerful spells so I let vengar kill her.

Aldia

Suuuuuuper lazy fight, the enemy didnt move in fast they only animated some tentacles to do the work, good lord he is nearly inmune to sorceries and his genki dama really hurts if you are not well prepared

strafer

The Burnt King boss, coolest encounter by far.

Fire everywhere and he just casually walks in.

I got wrecked tho. :p

need more Loyce Knights

ArynCrinn

Banned
It's active now. You have to be online to get them apparently, having the patch and being offline isn't enough. reddit thread about it.

Damn, I've been online the whole time on the PC version doing that and every time I hit Majula it's the open chest I got a Soul Vessel out of...? Hmmm Do I need to Ascetic the Bonfire or what, using the Blue Longsword for once would be fun.

Anyhow, for the person that asked earler, yeah, Melinda the Butcher is still in the Gutter, same chest area trigger, I got it screenshotted even. PC version.

Okay, the best secret thing about this new patch is that the stupid empty quiver no longer shows up on your character's back when you use a greatbow! That always bugged the hell out of me.

I need two for my sorcerer, another one for survability and the last one for looting so yep, need an extra slot for that ring

It should be a toggle/setting or have an extra ring slot that can only have that ring placed in it. I find it stupid that they break some builds just so people don't have to deal with SM.

It should be a toggle/setting or have an extra ring slot that can only have that ring placed in it. I find it stupid that they break some builds just so people don't have to deal with SM.

The idea of having to use up a ring slot to band-aid fix a broken game mechanic is insulting. They really just need to have SM work for NG playthrough and that's it. Go ahead and have it work towards Shrine of Winter requirement, but just ignore it for multiplayer in NG+ and beyond.

I think they added it to make both people happy. Want to keep increasing their level and SM allows them to still connect with others. While others like to have a level build, and SM wreaks that by having them get matched with max levels. The ring is something that helps both groups, those that want to keep leveling don't wear it and those that like their SM to stay where it is uses it. However, it being an item one must equip in place of another slot that could be used is ridiculous. To reiterate, they should have an additional slot that can only have that ring in it that way people can still have their 4 ring builds.

SotFS Spoilers:
Just beat the new boss, that was incredibly easy.

Helped a sorcerer full havel guy, time to some ZZZzzzZZZ the boss is horrible to deal with magic but It lowers its defenses for physical damage if you fully ranged him

I think they added it to make both people happy. Want to keep increasing their level and SM allows them to still connect with others. While others like to have a level build, and SM wreaks that by having them get matched with max levels. The ring is something that helps both groups, those that want to keep leveling don't wear it and those that like their SM to stay where it is uses it. However, it being an item one must equip in place of another slot that could be used is ridiculous. To reiterate, they should have an additional slot that can only have that ring in it that way people can still have their 4 ring builds.

Or maybe just add it as a buff in the covenant of champions or pvp covenants

I haven't touched DS2 in months, but thinking of starting a new playthrough to finally tackle all the DLC I paid for but never played. Do the others stack up to Crown of the Sunken King well enough?

Agape ring means I can be Sunbro for the same bosses forever just like in Dark Souls 1. Glad they added it!

Same. One of my biggest complaints about the game was how you couldn't co-op in a comfy spot without being pushed out of the SM bracket for the area you were in.

Mistel

Banned
I haven't touched DS2 in months, but thinking of starting a new playthrough to finally tackle all the DLC I paid for but never played. Do the others stack up to Crown of the Sunken King well enough?
Personally I think that the latter two dlc are better than the first is.

Top Bottom