• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Just met the new NPC.

I'm kind of sad about the modulation they put on his voice. His voice acting sounded awesome in the trailer, but it's hard to even understand what he's saying with the effect they added to his voice.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finally bought a new controller yesterday and started over with a new character (first time trying out 2H mass build). I managed to squeeze in 21 hours of gameplay
o_O

Just loaded up the game for the first time since the patch. I lost my save? :(
Damn. PC? You scared me, so I started my PC version and my saves are still there. No issue on PS3 either, though I have PS+ so my saves are all on the cloud anyway.

So, a collection of what item descriptions were charged can be found here. (Note: I did not put together this list myself)

Fuck, I accidentally hit post. I was nowhere near finished with my post. I was going to summarize my main findings after going through the list. Guess I will do that in another post.

Anustart

o_O

Damn. PC? You scared me, so I started my PC version and my saves are still there. No issue on PS3 either, though I have PS+ so my saves are all on the cloud anyway.

Yea was pc. But it was caused because I put in a new drive and put Windows on it. I fixed it by digging the save file out of app data roaming. Why companies put saves there I'll never know.

So, a collection of what item descriptions were charged can be found here.

Fuck, I accidentally hit post. I was nowhere near finished with my post. I was going to summarize my main findings after going through the list. Guess I will do that in another post.

Appreciated anyway! I'm looking forward to going through that (and reading your next post with your findings).

So, these are my main findings after going through the list posted above.

If I'm reading it correctly, the job of the Varangians and Flexile Sentry was not to bring undead to the Bastille, but to ship them away from there when it became too crowded. Most prisoners died during the journey, but some seem to have reached land to the South, where they went on to found the Melfian magic academy. If they were followers of Straid, this would explain how Straid's work became so ubiquitous.

The description for a Navlaan item was updated to more closely match the description for Olenford's staff, giving credence to the theory that the Navlaan we meet in the game is Olenford's body possessed by Navlaan's spirit.

Evidence for Vaati's theory that Alonne left the old iron king's service after seeing him becoming more decadent is given outright.

"Vendrick crossed the seas, took prisoner the Giants, and brought them back to his castle, clapped in irons." This sounds to me like evidence for Vaati's theory that the golems were the prize of the war against the giants.

I have seen theories that the Archdrake sect of Lineldt was formed by survivors from Shulva. This seems to have been close to the truth, but with an important twist. It seems that the sect was created by surviving drakeblood knights in an attempt to atone for the actions that lead to the doom of Shulva.

The citizens of Tseldora became corrupted by greed, or something.

The fact that the iron door in the fortress in the Forest of Fallen Giants was pillaged from the Iron Keep is now pretty much spelled out.

It is pretty much confirmed that the Last Giant is the Giant Lord we fought in the memory who,apparently, was slain by an unknown hero.

Someone on the localization team that made these edits sense to have been obsessed with the verb "wrack". Might be a nod to the fans that have adopted the word "rekt" to their lingo.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There's also pretty solid proof that Drangleic is built upon the same land where Lordran was. And the Drakeblood Knights being from Lindelt is a cool thing.

Haunted

Zullie and Alva, such a sweet love story ;_;

Also a nice short bit about Alonne.

I like that they improved on some of the more pandering/repeating references to Lordran.

Just met the new NPC.

I'm kind of sad about the modulation they put on his voice. His voice acting sounded awesome in the trailer, but it's hard to even understand what he's saying with the effect they added to his voice.

Sounds weird right? Like Bane in the batman movie

So, these are my main findings after going through the list posted above.

If I'm reading it correctly, the job of the Varangians and Flexile Sentry was not to bring undead to the Bastille, but to ship them away from there when it became too crowded. Most prisoners died during the journey, but some seem to have reached land to the South, where they went on to found the Melfian magic academy. If they were followers of Straid, this would explain how Straid's work became so ubiquitous.

The description for a Navlaan item was updated to more closely match the description for Olenford's staff, giving credence to the theory that the Navlaan we meet in the game is Olenford's body possessed by Navlaan's spirit.

Evidence for Vaati's theory that Alonne left the old iron king's service after seeing him becoming more decadent is given outright.

"Vendrick crossed the seas, took prisoner the Giants, and brought them back to his castle, clapped in irons." This sounds to me like evidence for Vaati's theory that the golems were the prize of the war against the giants.

I have seen theories that the Archdrake sect of Lineldt was formed by survivors from Shulva. This seems to have been close to the truth, but with an important twist. It seems that the sect was created by surviving drakeblood knights in an attempt to atone for the actions that lead to the doom of Shulva.

The citizens of Tseldora became corrupted by greed, or something.

The fact that the iron door in the fortress in the Forest of Fallen Giants was pillaged from the Iron Keep is now pretty much spelled out.

It is pretty much confirmed that the Last Giant is the Giant Lord we fought in the memory who,apparently, was slain by an unknown hero.

Someone on the localization team that made these edits sense to have been obsessed with the verb "wrack". Might be a nod to the fans that have adopted the word "rekt" to their lingo.

Vaati really let himself go for crazy speculations bro.

The Bastille have some really contradictions itself because some items tells you Vendrick made the prison but he never knew Straid or vendrick defeated the sinner and let imprisoned her to the bastille but the bastille itself is more ancient than Vendrick but not than ancient than Luna or the kingdom before that.

The first part is right the bastille become the home of the undead where the undead were kept in the eras before Vendrick (probably the last kindle of the fire) until the people started to send everyone undesirable or too dangerous for them like The Sinner and Straid. The sinner because she tried to make a new flame to avoid the curse but was stopped before she could do it, Straid was too powerful to kept at bay and was tricked and later on pretrified in the Bastille since sorceries was a taboo in that era.

Then the bastille became too crowed so in an urgency to stop them the flexible sentry
was added to kept them at bay, mostly kill them in the process.

Navlaan is still an enigma but is clearly He has
two minds in one body,one reacts to hollows players and the original mind reacts to human players stil the theory is weird since there is few Aldia influence there in that area.

Alonne "left" but you knew the truth in the DLC,
someone stop him before he could even begin his journey and sadly the King was already influenced by someone in the black iron mines and shortly fall into greediness starting the demise of his kingdom, Alonne could probably try return to save his king but no one knows now.

Tseldora dudes were used by his own landlord and were sent to
their deaths, He knew there was something buried down there, you can see he didnt even use the materials the farmers dig and when the spiders crawlerd and killed everyone he just watch them die and later became hollow.

And about the archdrake link with Shulva makes no sense at all, speculations are around Shulva because the dragon alone with no real sustain since Shulva main priests are female and the archdrake were the first line of defense of lindet (wharether its name dont remember so well) to fight Drangelic warriors.

And the Drakeblood Knights being from Lindelt is a cool thing.

As far as I remember those guys have some sort of connection with Drangelic

Haunted

holy shit at some of the lore clarifications!

The invaluable prize
were giant slaves/prisoners! Most likely to be experimented on. It makes 100% sense, crazy how with all the speculation done by the whole community, I haven't really seen anyone guess it correctly - even though it seems so obvious in hindsight! An invaluable prize, indeed.

The Last Giant's
description was vague enough so he could have been the Giant Lord or just a particularly strong warrior in the army - with this, it's now made clear without a doubt that the Last Giant and the Giant Lord are one and the same.

The invaluable prize
stolen were Giant slaves, most likely to be experimented on. It makes 100% sense, crazy how no one really speculated on that before even though it seems so obvious in hindsight!

The Last Giant's
description was vague enough so he could have been the Giant Lord or just a particularly strong warrior in the army - with this, it's now made clear without a doubt that the Last Giant and the Giant Lord are one and the same.

Some said Vedrinck
stole their faces, others thinks it was the key to the stone throne that funtions like the primordial flame. Still Aldia was the one who keeps experimenting on them but Vendrick was the one who actually infused the Giants souls into Golems, poor giants.

Yeah sadly the item update spoils you from getting that realization of your own.

Just beat the new boss and got the new ending.

I actually did enjoy the fight, although it wasn't very challenging. More interesting than Nashandra, IMO. Definitely not one of the better fights in DS2, though. What's most annoying for me is that you have to kill Vendrick in order to fight Aldia. I typically skip Vendrick because getting the Giant Souls is such a chore...so in the future I probably won't fight Aldia all that often.

I really love that they finally gave us the alternate ending, though.

I really like how the DS2 story (and the fans' interpretation of it) has evolved over time. With each of the 3 DLC's and now SotFS, our understanding has evolved as we received new information. Some might have preferred to get all of that at release, but I enjoy how it's happened.

Looking forward to reading the speculation/thoughts above.

The invaluable prize
were giant slaves/prisoners! Most likely to be experimented on. It makes 100% sense, crazy how with all the speculation done by the whole community, I haven't really seen anyone guess it correctly - even though it seems so obvious in hindsight! An invaluable prize, indeed.

The Last Giant's

Actually I'm very proud of myself because
I thought the prize was related to the souls of the giants, the throne or the lordvessel didn't make sense to me.

About the Archdrake sect of Lindelt:

We finally have the confirmation of who were responsible for the fall of Shulva, which is nice.
There's a miracle that confirms it (Replenishment). But now there are more room for speculation because
Yorgh's ring's design is similar to the crest of Drangleic... does that mean that Vendrick and his people came from the same land that ordered the attack to Shulva?, if that's true, then now we know why the Archdrake Sect of Lindelt and Drangleic's forces were rivals.

Also, items descriptions now suggest that Sinh is
one of the everlasting dragons of DS one, since items refer to him as the "Slumbering Dragon" now (before they called him the "sleeping dragon"), let's not forget there's a ring in DS one -The Slumbering dragoncrest ring- that talks about an everlasting dragon that rests in silent slumber.

I'm very happy that my theory about the memories of the giants is canon now =D , pretty sure most people know what I'm talking about.

Finally I think most of you will be very happy now guys since apparently they nerfed the gank squad. I just fought them today and could easily defeat them with the help of the NPC summons (and all of them survived)... I wonder if the other optional bosses were nerfed too, I really hope they were.

Has any of you fought the other optional bosses after the patch? I'd like to know if I just got gud enough or if they are easier now.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Actually I'm very proud of myself because
I thought the prize was related to the souls of the giants, the throne or the lordvessel didn't make sense to me.

We finally have the confirmation of who were responsible for the fall of Shulva, which is nice.
There's a miracle that confirms it (Replenishment). But now there are more room for speculation because
Yorgh's ring's design is similar to the crest of Drangleic... does that mean that Vendrick and his people came from the same land that ordered the attack to Shulva?, if that's true, then now we know why the Archdrake Sect of Lindelt and Drangleic's forces were rivals.

one of the everlasting dragons of DS one, since items refer to him as the "Slumbering Dragon" now (before they called him the "sleeping dragon"), let's not forget there's a ring in DS one -The Slumbering dragoncrest ring- that talks about an everlasting dragon that rests in silent slumber.

Finally I think most of you will be very happy now guys since apparently they nerfed the gank squad. I just fought them today and could easily defeat them with the help of the NPC summons (and all of them survived)... I wonder if the other optional bosses were nerfed too, I really hope they were.

Has any of you fought the other optional bosses after the patch? I'd like to know if I just got gud enough or if they are easier now.

I've been facing Fume Knight on and off for the past few weeks and finally beat him today. He seemed just as much a prick now as he did before so!

God that was satisfying though.

void666

Banned
I quit playing DS2 months ago. Came back last week and noticed the emerald herald was nowhere to be found.
After i killed some bosses her tomb appeared in majula. And i noticed i had the aged feather in my inventory.
But i swear i didn't kill her. I don't kill npcs.
I read about phantoms killing npcs but i play offline as i hate being invaded.

No idea what happened.

Phantoms can't kill NPCs. You must've killed her last time you played or it glitched somehow. You can still level up etc, but there's a small cost now she's dead.

That's the first thing that threw me off when going from DS1 to DS2. Backstab and Riposte in DS1 is WAY better.

I don't know what they were thinking here. There was no reason to change it. It isn't so much that it looks different, but more importantly that DS1 backstabbing/riposte feels way more satisfying.

Anustart

Before I start my journey of 10,000 miles. If I'm doing a no bonfire run and just beat Velstadt...I gotta climb all the way back through shrine of amana -> Drangleic correct?

Before I start my journey of 10,000 miles. If I'm doing a no bonfire run and just beat Velstadt...I gotta climb all the way back through shrine of amana -> Drangleic correct?
What was the last bonfire you lit? The best way to do that run I've found is to use Shaded Woods 2nd bonfire as a base, since it's easy to reach both the Castle and Aldia's Keep from. If you touch a bonfire in the Crypt (ouch!) yeah you have to walk all the back through the Shrine - best of luck!

I'm very happy that my theory about the memories of the giants is canon now =D , pretty sure most people know what I'm talking about.

Yup, Drangelic
send forces to conquer Shulva but the fanatism of the knights screw up everything and also retconed the hystory about vendrick defeating the kings of the lands.

Also Drangelic send some groups to the
Iron Kings mines but where eliminated by a single efigie and by Raime

Thats why Lindelt decided to put defenses in their land, possibly to avoid Vendrick destroy the land.

The rings reffers the survivors dragons
hide after the fall of their race but is weird to asume Sihn is a everlasting dragon since he shared the same model as Kalameet, a normal dragon and doest wants you to aid him to search for dragon scales.

Anustart

What was the last bonfire you lit? The best way to do that run I've found is to use Shaded Woods 2nd bonfire as a base, since it's easy to reach both the Castle and Aldia's Keep from. If you touch a bonfire in the Crypt (ouch!) yeah you have to walk all the back through the Shrine - best of luck!

Damn!

Damn that was a long haul, but made it to Aldia's Crib.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So the backstab animation looks way cooler in DS1

That's the first thing that threw me off when going from DS1 to DS2. Backstab and Riposte in DS1 is WAY better.

Different weapons have different backstabs/ripostes. I don't think they're universally worse.

But I DO think that replacing the fuckin BOOT with a wimpy shove is a real shame. Straight kickin a dude who had their shield up always felt so rude and raw. I miss that.

Auctopus

B9bHKPSCIAA5aoa.jpg

Supposed PS4 Boxart.

B9bHK2-CAAALwt3.jpg

Supposed PS3 Boxart.

PS4 boxart is so good it's making me consider a double dip.

Dsyndrome

Can't believe I'm having so much trouble with Elana in the first DLC. Trying to take her on with a Faith-Strength build with a +10 Mastodon Greatsword with either fire or lightning infused, neither worked, SL 181. Should I have taken her on earlier before getting to 181? Still in NG, can't even imagine the hurt she and her bros would inflict on + and beyond.

Can't believe I'm having so much trouble with Elana in the first DLC. Trying to take her on with a Faith-Strength build with a +10 Mastodon Greatsword with either fire or lightning infused, neither worked, SL 181. Should I have taken her on earlier before getting to 181? Still in NG, can't even imagine the hurt she and her bros would inflict on + and beyond.
All the DLC stuff has high resistance to elemental/magic etc afaik. Your level shouldn't really matter, well certainly not doing anything at a lower level any way, increased level can only help - if you mean in terms of soul memory I don't think you would be too high, I was farming sunlight medals last week and getting summoned for her and Sinh with a SM of well over 100M, and NG is no longer separate from NG+ onwards.

I would just buff (Sacred Oath, Sunlight Blade) and have at it - Take your time, don't run out of stamina, alluring skulls work well for the skellies. I'm not sure if keeping one of them around stops her from summoning anything else, but if it does try that too.

Mistel

Banned
Trying to take her on with a Faith-Strength build with a +10 Mastodon Greatsword with either fire or lightning infused, neither worked.
That's your problem right there, she has high resistance to both. That's why you're not getting anywhere fast just remove the lightning or use another STR weapon.

No elemental damage allowed in all the DLC, those bosses, most of them have resistance to everything but strike damage.

GulAtiCa

I'm double dipping for the PS4 build. I really do hope they improve the netcode. Nothing worse then being invaded and your magic goes right through them and then they backstab you 20 feet away..

Can't believe it's been so long since I last played. Need to start the game up again sometime.

She's a pain in the ass solo. I never intend to do that again.

Dsyndrome

Thanks for the help guys, will try her again later tonight with a different sword setup. Alluring skulls worked for me somewhat once, but all the recent times I fought her brought only Velstadt summons.

CHC

Goddamn just reading all those items descriptions gets me giddy! The story is seeming a little more coherent now.

Yup, Drangelic
send forces to conquer Shulva but the fanatism of the knights screw up everything and also retconed the hystory about vendrick defeating the kings of the lands.

Also Drangelic send some groups to the
Iron Kings mines but where eliminated by a single efigie and by Raime

Thats why Lindelt decided to put defenses in their land, possibly to avoid Vendrick destroy the land.

The rings reffers the survivors dragons
hide after the fall of their race but is weird to asume Sihn is a everlasting dragon since he shared the same model as Kalameet, a normal dragon and doest wants you to aid him to search for dragon scales.

I think that
Vendrick defeating the kings of the lands was an error in the translation or just misleading information regarding the nature of King Vendrick's powers:

The description for the DLC said that we were going to retrieve the Crowns that Vendrick once owned, but it was clear once you finished the Crown of the Sunken King that he never had that crown. There are some evidences that he attempted to retrieve the crowns of the Old Iron King and the Ivory King too: all those Drangleic soldiers killed by the entrance of Broom Tower and the golems in the third DLC (Vaati says that the Ivory king created those golems but if my memory serves me right there's no evidence of that in the game) and I'd say that the golems we see in the third DLC may have been sent by King Vendrick to retrieve the crown.

I haven't talked to nor read Aldia's dialogues so I might be wrong here, though.

My mind is trying to reconstruct the order in which some events happened. It seems to me that the Old Iron King was still the ruler of the land when Vendrick came to Drangleic (a lot of his soldiers are still placed there), but I don't believe the Sunken King nor the Ivory King were still alive when that happened. Also, we don't know what was the name of the land before it was called Drangleic, although we know that before the Iron King ruled, the land was divided in two kingdoms: Venn (which was conquered by the Iron King) and Alken. Could it be that the kingdom could've been named Ollaphis by that time?

ho... I need to think a little bit more and try to find more connections :0

Also
wasn't Kalameet a survivor everlasting dragon?

I think Gough confirms it:

"Ah, hello there. What of Kalameet?
He is an ancient dragon. Skyward or no, he will not be put down easily.
"

Top Bottom