• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

strafer

There is a reskinned rat authority boss in the third DLC but outside that noup, nothing similar but the last boss requires some extra activity to not be a total chore.

Ah that armor is neat for the DLC, pretty easy to upgrade and not so much fat rolls

Yeah, I like the black.

The mace wielding one is crazy, no downtime, swings like a madman :D

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I like the black.

The mace wielding one is crazy, no downtime, swings like a madman :D
You're better off joining champions and just farming the non mace ones. You could just farm the drakekeeper right by the bonfire if you want for the entire set. Plus all the item discovery boosting gear should help a bit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Any more bosses as bad as the 3-man gank squad?
Yes, one is somehow worse, an optional one like the ganksquad. Worse, it's simply the first boss of that DLC, but
there's two of them. If you kill the first one really really fast it's more manageable, but you need insane DPS - I did it with my red iron twinblade guy, killed the first before the second showed up - it's really meant for coop, and the path to that boss is insanely annoying to solo
And another boss in the 2nd DLC isn't as technically annoying as the ganksquad but it's a
redskin of a main game boss -_- plus an annoying gauntlet before it.
Also optional.

Honestly, the only DLC bosses I really enjoy are Sinh, Fume and Alonne, and Fume and Alonne can be rather cheap bastards at times, with insanely quick recovery between attacks, super fast attacks and few openings, but at least their hitboxes aren't too broken (except for Alonne's sword grab, like all grab moves it magically sucks you into it -_-). Elana and the trio are fun to coop, but super annoying to solo.

strafer

You're better off joining champions and just farming the non mace ones. You could just farm the drakekeeper right by the bonfire if you want for the entire set. Plus all the item discovery boosting gear should help a bit.

Yeah, I got this in the Ivory DLC

Bzz6dag.jpg

Yes, one is somehow worse, an optional one like the ganksquad. Worse, it's simply the first boss of that DLC, but
there's two of them. If you kill the first one really really fast it's more manageable, but you need insane DPS - I did it with my red iron twinblade guy, killed the first before the second showed up - it's really meant for coop, and the path to that boss is insanely annoying to solo
And another boss in the 2nd DLC isn't as technically annoying as the ganksquad but it's a
redskin of a main game boss -_- plus an annoying gauntlet before it.
Also optional.

Honestly, the only DLC bosses I really enjoy are Sinh, Fume and Alonne, and Fume and Alonne can be rather cheap bastards at times, with insanely quick recovery between attacks, super fast attacks and few openings, but at least their hitboxes aren't too broken (except for Alonne's sword grab, like all grab moves it magically sucks you into it -_-). Elana and the trio are fun to coop, but super annoying to solo.

Ooof. Okay, I'll keep in mind that some of these bosses are meant to be co-op'ed. I managed to solo every boss in the first DLC but Elana especially was quite a chore. I'll give a token attempt to solo everything going forward but I won't feel bad if I have to summon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, I solo'd the more annoying boss but not with my Champion (actually I haven't finished the third DLC with him either, since they nerfed faith he's not that strong anymore for the CoC). I summoned my friend after giving up on solo'ing, then later went back to that boss with my strength to solo it, with the red iron twinblade spam + a brightbug I managed to kill the first quickly enough, but yeah it's a pain in the ass, not really fun. Won't bother with that boss again I think.

I do like the ring of the living though... >_> It's important for Fashion Souls!

Mistel

Banned
The rewards for the two tigers are really not worth the hassle of actually doing them. The shield a novelty item really and the loyce greatsword is more of the same. It does have some nice two handed attacks in its moveset but it's outperformed by a mirrah greatsword at base stats of 25/28 and that's not exactly a high benchmark.

It does get stronger with higher DEX as it it is a DEX orientated greatsword with E/S scaling at max. But even at 25/50 you've still got better options than it for that stat investment with the drangelic greatsword and the charred loyce greatsword (split damage though but still).

Yeah, I solo'd the more annoying boss but not with my Champion (actually I haven't finished the third DLC with him either, since they nerfed faith he's not that strong anymore for the CoC). I summoned my friend after giving up on solo'ing, then later went back to that boss with my strength to solo it, with the red iron twinblade spam + a brightbug I managed to kill the first quickly enough, but yeah it's a pain in the ass, not really fun. Won't bother with that boss again I think.

I do like the ring of the living though... >_> It's important for Fashion Souls!

I was going to ask, did they ever readjust the damage of the Lightning Spears or were they content to leave them with little casts and damage? The nerf happened around the time I put the game down last and a lot of people thought the nerfing of the damage was a mistake, lol.

Second question: I'm picking up a character that has already beaten Nashandra and the first DLC because I don't feel like doing it over again. Will I be able to select the new ending after beating
Aldia
or am I locked out of that since I already got the default ending from before?

Mistel

Banned
I was going to ask, did they ever readjust the damage of the Lightning Spears or were they content to leave them with little casts and damage? The nerf happened around the time I put the game down last and a lot of people thought the nerfing of the damage was a mistake, lol.

Second question: I'm picking up a character that has already beaten Nashandra and the first DLC because I don't feel like doing it over again. Will I be able to select the new ending after beating
Aldia
or am I locked out of that since I already got the default ending from before?
  1. No they're still at that state after the patches, there's been enough patches after that to correct it so it was intentional. It might be addressed in the re balance possibly.
  2. You will need to asetic and fight nashandra again to fight the new boss and choose the other ending.

Lightning spears were way overpowered.

But nerfing both the number of casts and the damage was going too far. Especially since they were supposed to increase the damage to somewhat compensate for less spells.

Not sure if they increased the damage yet, but last time I checked it was still low in comparison.

maomaoIYP

Fucking hell, getting to the optional boss in the third DLC is traumatic enough, how the hell am I supposed to fight the actual boss solo?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fucking hell, getting to the optional boss in the third DLC is traumatic enough, how the hell am I supposed to fight the actual boss solo?
The only time I solo'd was with this strategy:
- Strength build with high HP and endurance
- Red iron twinblades + charcoal pine resin, tower shield for emergency blocking
- Third Dragon Ring, Ring of Blades, and I think the others were chloranthy or stone ring (to stagger the horses), don't remember.
- Brightbug for double damage/defense. When that expires, green blossom for stamina regen.

That's a high DPS combination that can kill the first tiger before the second one jumps down or near enough, that way you can focus on the remaining one.

On the way there, try to get hit as little as possible and heal your lost HP with lifegems instead of Estus, to make sure you have the max Estus for the boss. Hotkey Radiant Lifegems just in case. You can also summon the NPCs to accompany you to distract the horses and give you some breather, and then dismiss them before the boss.

It's insanely difficult, especially with the hellish gauntlet before it. Good luck.

maomaoIYP

- Red iron twinblades + charcoal pine resin, tower shield for emergency blocking
- Third Dragon Ring, Ring of Blades, and I think the others were chloranthy or stone ring (to stagger the horses), don't remember.
- Brightbug for double damage/defense. When that expires, green blossom for stamina regen.

That's a high DPS combination that can kill the first tiger before the second one jumps down or near enough, that way you can focus on the remaining one.

On the way there, try to get hit as little as possible and heal your lost HP with lifegems instead of Estus, to make sure you have the max Estus for the boss. Hotkey Radiant Lifegems just in case. You can also summon the NPCs to accompany you to distract the horses and give you some breather, and then dismiss them before the boss.

It's insanely difficult, especially with the hellish gauntlet before it. Good luck.

The worse thing is that my main character is at NG+3. Maybe I should just try clearing it with one of my other characters who are still on NG.

Tarkus

Okay. I'm tired of the Dragonslayer Spear. It's so fucking cheap to spam R1 with its stupid long range. Might as well be a pew pew player.

Hypron

That's good advice. I killed them with medium HP, high endurance and a fire Greatsword (two handed) without using any herbs, it worked pretty well but it was definitely hard. I killed the first cat about 10 seconds after the second one came in.

I really recommend getting the NPCs to distract the electric reindeers though, they can be a real pain in the ass otherwise.

BadTaste

Really clueless here: I haven't played Dark Souls 2 in well over half a year but have it installed, I got a 576mb update on Steam. I couldn't find information on it but what's new?

Edit: I think I'm reading about it on the Steam Forum.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally bought a new controller yesterday and started over with a new character (first time trying out 2H mass build). I managed to squeeze in 21 hours of gameplay and man, at lvl 125, I think I've finally find the sweet spot for entertainment. 2H is so, so much more tactical and fun than walking around like an asshole with a sword and shield. Or mace. Or Dagger. Or staff.

Edit: also, I forgot... in which order should I play the three DLCs and the Scholar of the Sins-content? And what's a good level for them?

^ The order doesn't really matter. I think they're meant to be played end game, so whatever level you are then. The enemies have stupid amounts of poise and everything hits like a truck.

So since people were saying there will be some sort of upgrade plan for PC...will saves carry over? Like if I play just regular DS2 now and upgrade when it releases can I continue playing?

Tarkus

It's a spear what were you expecting?
It hits me at angles where it shouldn't...stunning me despite having 100+ poise and getting 3 free hits. And all while being seemingly out of its range. It could've been lag though. It was wonky last night. Too many attacks not registering made me want to yoshichan my controller.

Mistel

Banned
man, how cool are scythes...getting my Grim Reaper on.
You should try the bone scythe it's one of the best of the whole reaper group. Unless you're talking about the bardiche.
It hits me at angles where it shouldn't...stunning me despite having 100+ poise and getting 3 free hits. And all while being seemingly out of its range. It could've been lag though. It was wonky last night. Too many attacks not registering made me want to yoshichan my controller.
That sounds like lag mixed with spears being spears.

Never played Dark Souls 2 and Im getting SOTFS and I have a few questions! I want to make a melee/magic build.

1. Are dex or strength builds better or should I invest in both?

2. Should I upgrade intelligence or faith for a melee/magic hybrid class?

I have a dex/sorcery build in Dark Souls 1 and I really enjoyed it! Never used faith once but idk it may be different in Dark Souls 2

Mistel

Banned
Never played Dark Souls 2 and Im getting SOTFS and I have a few questions! I want to make a melee/magic build.

I have a dex/sorcery build in Dark Souls 1 and I really enjoyed it! Never used faith once but idk it may be different in Dark Souls 2
STR has better returns than DEX due to the scaling, invest in STR and get DEX to minimum or power stance requirements of X 1.5 more than the displayed.

As you can infuse weapons and gain scaling from your INT/FTH in this one go for which you prefer out of STR/INT or STR/FTH.

usp84

Finally bought a new controller yesterday and started over with a new character (first time trying out 2H mass build). I managed to squeeze in 21 hours of gameplay and man, at lvl 125, I think I've finally find the sweet spot for entertainment. 2H is so, so much more tactical and fun than walking around like an asshole with a sword and shield. Or mace. Or Dagger. Or staff.

Edit: also, I forgot... in which order should I play the three DLCs and the Scholar of the Sins-content? And what's a good level for them?

Play them in any order you like i dont think it matters.Maybe in order of release.

However you should be high level since they are pretty difficult especially some bosses

STR has better returns than DEX due to the scaling, invest in STR and get DEX to minimum or power stance requirements of X 1.5 more than the displayed.

As you can infuse weapons and gain scaling from your INT/FTH in this one go for which you prefer out of STR/INT or STR/FTH.

I see! I think I'll go with a str/int build then. Thank you!

Almost any weapon is viable, so invest in the stats of what weapons you like. It's the same for all Souls games. Find a weapon with a moveset you like and go with that.

IceMarker

I have 60 STR and a +5 Pursuer's Greatsword, what should I swap out for it on a physical damage build? Great Club? I feel like I should be doing more than 583 AR.
Plus the sword isn't great for PvP...

So since people were saying there will be some sort of upgrade plan for PC...will saves carry over? Like if I play just regular DS2 now and upgrade when it releases can I continue playing?
Afraid not. You'll have to start over. Only reason I'm starting over now is because I have no intention of buying the "upgraded" version.

1.- STR is fairly better than DEX, DEX is more about landing quick hits and pray for crits unlike STR thats is more about landing hits and destroy your enemy faster, There are few weapons that require both stats but not really worth the investment unless you really like the weapon.

Still you can respec in this game.

2.- Lightning infusion is farly better than Magic against bosses so go for faith

Mistel

Banned
I have 60 STR and a +5 Pursuer's Greatsword, what should I swap out for it on a physical damage build? Great Club? I feel like I should be doing more than 583 AR.
Plus the sword isn't great for PvP...
A greatsword or fume ultra greatsword, there is also the drakekeeper ultra if you want a better moveset with S STR scaling. If you want to use a greathammer in PvP get the halberd moveset ones so either the archdrake mace or the drakekeeper war pick they're faster than the standard hammers but a smidge weaker than other hammers. Or you could just go giant warrior club/smelter hammer and use those.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The DLC content alone demolishes the entirety of DkS1>50%. Holy shit.

Top Bottom