• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

strafer

Finally got this set.

Rampart_golem_set.jpg

Going to start a new character. Pure STR build. Character archetype is "barbarian warlord". I want to make a scantily-clad mountain of meat wielding colossal, primitive-looking weapons. Gear suggestions?

Mistel

Banned
Finally got this set.
Rampart_golem_set.jpg
The rampart golem set is pretty decent set once you've upgraded it. It takes twinkling though to do so however but it's still fine at base level.
Didn't even know it was possible.
It's either the pigs, skeletons, and or veldstadt she summons.
Going to start a new character. Pure STR build. Character archetype is "barbarian warlord". I want to make a scantily-clad mountain of meat wielding colossal, primitive-looking weapons. Gear suggestions?
I've got an outfit for just that somewhere I'll try to find it. Weapon wise though a bandit greataxe or giant warrior club maybe I can think of a few others though that'll work depends how big you want it.

Anustart

I'm thinking Executioner's set, possibly Lion Warrior set. Of course I'll be mixing stuff around. Fashion Souls is my top priority.

Mine too :( If I don't look good doing it, what's the point?

Only achievements I have left are grab all the different magics and max devotion.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Get the reskinned great club in the Majula chest while it's there, it has blood on it, looks fearsome. :)
For Fashion Souls, if you don't mind a bit of farming, the lion warrior set should look badass. The headpice in particular looks pretty barbaric/shamanic (don't worry, the male version of the chest piece isn't a bra, lol, it's a fur cape with an exposed chest, can't find a good pic, here's a shitty one). Or you could use the chest and leg pieces of the Executioner set. Maybe with a Gyrm helm, or the felyne flying boots?

I'm thinking Executioner's set, possibly Lion Warrior set. Of course I'll be mixing stuff around. Fashion Souls is my top priority.
Damn straight.

Speaking of Fashion Souls, I'm currently progressing with a friend for a PS3 coop run, and I made a hexer. She's an old white-haired woman with yellow eyes and I want her to look kinda like a pagan druid/witch kind of thing. Right now she's wearing the pyromancer robe and boots/skirt and lion mage bracers and no helmet (I probably won't give her any as I like showing the face). But I'm open to suggestions. I tried the hexer robes, white priest robe, archdrake robe, and lion mage set, but I'm not entirely satisfied with them.

Get the reskinned great club in the Majula chest while it's there, it has blood on it, looks fearsome. :)
For Fashion Souls, if you don't mind a bit of farming, the lion warrior set should look badass. The headpice in particular looks pretty barbaric/shamanic (don't worry, the male version isn't a bra, lol, it's a fur cape with an exposed chest, can't find a good pic, here's a shitty one). Or you could use the chest and leg pieces of the Executioner set. Maybe with a Gyrm helm, or the felyne flying boots?
Great recommendations. Thanks very much for the reskinned Great Club rec, I wasn't aware of that.

Damn straight.

Speaking of Fashion Souls, I'm currently progressing with a friend for a PS3 coop run, and I made a hexer. She's an old white-haired woman with yellow eyes and I want her to look kinda like a pagan druid/witch kind of thing. Right now she's wearing the pyromancer robe and boots/skirt and lion mage bracers and no helmet (I probably won't give her any as I like showing the face). But I'm open to suggestions. I tried the hexer robes, white priest robe, archdrake robe, and lion mage set, but I'm not entirely satisfied with them.

Maybe consider mixing in something from Nahr Alma, Penal, or Prisoner sets?

I haven't played since the new patch. Are all our saves intact? Do we get to choose whether we play with the old enemy placement, or is it automatically pushed to the new setup?

I haven't played since the new patch. Are all our saves intact? Do we get to choose whether we play with the old enemy placement, or is it automatically pushed to the new setup?

New enemy placement is only in Scholar of the First Sin, which is a separate purchase. All saves are still compatible in the base game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I never think about using alluring skulls. Will definitely try that next time.

Only works on them and the pigs in the fight but it's better than nothing. You need a fair few of them though.

I have tried to follow but it is still confusing. There is still a new NPC and boss in the "old" version though?

Yes.

I never think about using alluring skulls. Will definitely try that next time.

Only works on them and the pigs in the fight but it's better than nothing. You need a fair few of them though.

I'm assuming Yearn also works?

Probably. Is it best to do it on say ng+2, or just a ng?
I think they're both easier on NG+ just because you have the chance to be higher level, do prep, upgrade everything, buy consumables etc before hand. It's also a lot safer imo to ascetic one of the big bosses over and over and then pop the souls in NG+ to have immediate access to Shrine of Winter, cutting out half of the game, it's a very quick playthrough to get the rings.

I'd like to try a no death/no bonfire run from a fresh NG though, I think it would be fun and strategic to only have access to stuff like repair powder and spell herbs when you find them (unless you want to do tons of backtracking to vendors etc).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What else can I get from Scholar of the First Sins? I beat the final boss and bought the ring.

BadTaste

I only have DS2 and none of the DLC. Haven't played it in over half a year but keen to get back into it. Should I wait for Scholar of the First Sin or wat.

PC version.

So do we know how
Aldia
ended up looking like a maple?

Well, some item descriptions talked about how Aldia screwed up his form as a result of the experiments he was doing to cure the curse. (Stuff like putting giant souls in things, creating the Ancient Dragon and possibly Shanollette, etc.)

As for looking like a tree, I always assumed it must have something to do with Chaos. "Sin" is often associated with the Witch of Izalith, i.e., the Bed of Chaos. The fact that he's basically a tree that shoots fireballs definitely seems to indicate to me that he was consumed by Chaos during his experiments.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, Vendrick's blessing sure is great for the frozen outskirts. that fucking place.

Haven't been there on my own, but I invaded as a Blue to deal some justice and I spent 15 minutes running around having no fucking clue what to do. That place is horrible enough without enemies, can't imagine going there on my own

Man, Vendrick's blessing sure is great for the frozen outskirts. that fucking place.

FYI, Silver Talismans received a buff in the last update. They now affect enemies. You can use one in the Frozen Outskirts and only move when the storm clears, and you should be able to almost completely avoid the Death Ponies. (Or so I've heard, haven't tried it yet myself.)

Anustart

Well, some item descriptions talked about how Aldia screwed up his form as a result of the experiments he was doing to cure the curse. (Stuff like putting giant souls in things, creating the Ancient Dragon and possibly Shanollette, etc.)

As for looking like a tree, I always assumed it must have something to do with Chaos. "Sin" is often associated with the Witch of Izalith, i.e., the Bed of Chaos. The fact that he's basically a tree that shoots fireballs definitely seems to indicate to me that he was consumed by Chaos during his experiments.

Yeah he gave me a bed of chaos vibe. Just met once so far.

Dsyndrome

Took on Elana with the Curved Dragon Greatsword +4 and beat her! Squalid Queen summoned Velstadt three times and no skeletons. Thankfully, I got help from someone who agro'd Velstadt so I didn't have to run from his hammers and the Dark spells from Elana.

So do we know how
Aldia
ended up looking like a maple?

Something something trying to replicate the first flame on the hollow tree after failing to break the curse throught emerald herald and giants souls failed , also Chaos is the unused wild form of the flame and later the humans mastered and called it Pyromancy.

Crit damage is still so confusing in this game. I'll do anything from 300 to 1300 on a backstab (NG+2) regardless of the armour my opponent is wearing. In fact, the ones wearing lighter armour seem to take way less crit damage than those in heavier stuff. It's kind of demoralising when you land a potentially life saving parry and the riposte only does 400 damage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Doesn't defense automatically raise by 1 point at every level or something? Maybe your opponents just vary a lot in level, since matchmaking is all SM anyway.

Ratrat

Didn't want to make a new thread, but I'm assuming there are long time From Software fans here...

Are Eternal Ring, Evergrace and Shadow Tower worth playing? Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm going to play Shadow Tower(already played Kingsfield IV) but the other two look pretty janky and light on the horror, yet still interesting enough. Evergrace almost looks like a Souls game even.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Didn't want to make a new thread, but I'm assuming there are long time From Software fans here...

Are Eternal Ring, Evergrace and Shadow Tower worth playing? Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm going to play Shadow Tower(already played Kingsfield IV) but the other two look pretty janky and light on the horror, yet still interesting enough. Evergrace almost looks like a Souls game even.

Skip Evergrace and play Eternal Ring and Shadow Tower. Mind you they have flaws like the slow movement and the combat has aged but they are worth playing for the exploration.

maomaoIYP

Finally managed to beat the 2 tigers boss. Fucking gauntlet to the boss was actually harder than the actual boss, I fucked up so many times I despawned all the fucking ponies.

Anyone knows a good way to farm Loyce souls? Coop isn't biting and getting to 50 for the Eleum Loyce seems like a fool's errand.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Crit damage is still so confusing in this game. I'll do anything from 300 to 1300 on a backstab (NG+2) regardless of the armour my opponent is wearing. In fact, the ones wearing lighter armour seem to take way less crit damage than those in heavier stuff. It's kind of demoralising when you land a potentially life saving parry and the riposte only does 400 damage.

I remember people figuring out that the framerate had an effect on the backstab/riposte damage. Higher framerate meant worse damage?

Anyone knows a good way to farm Loyce souls? Coop isn't biting and getting to 50 for the Eleum Loyce seems like a fool's errand.
You can farm them yourself just by feathering out once the boss arrives, if you've already killed him I believe the spawn rate lowers on the knights(?) and the drop rate for the souls is higher for phantoms too I've read. So co-op really is the quickest way unfortunately. On the upside it's only something you have to do once on a character not every NG cycle since you keep the loyce souls in your inventory even after you get to 50 and speak to queen whatsherface.

Finally managed to beat the 2 tigers boss. Fucking gauntlet to the boss was actually harder than the actual boss, I fucked up so many times I despawned all the fucking ponies.

Are you on NG+ or NG? I found it very slow when I did it on NG, but after popping an ascetic, bringing the area up to NG+, I found they dropped a lot faster.

Also, it's much better to farm before you beat the boss, so you can still use the Loyce knights and summons as helpers to make things go quicker. So if you already beat the boss, popping an ascetic is worth it just to re-spawn the boss.

Doesn't defense automatically raise by 1 point at every level or something? Maybe your opponents just vary a lot in level, since matchmaking is all SM anyway.

Yeah that does happen. I think it's VIG, END and ADP that naturally raise defence all the way to 99. You don't get that much more defence out of it though.

I remember people figuring out that the framerate had an effect on the backstab/riposte damage. Higher framerate meant worse damage?

Yeah, frame rate is tied to critical damage in a silly way. If both players have 41fps or higher, the damage will be normal, but if it's 40 or below the damage will be reduced and there will sometimes be fewer 'ticks' of damage during the riposte animation. Someone wrote a post about it on Reddit a while ago.

So considering all of that, it's probably pretty likely that I'm just facing SL500+ players with rubbish frame rates :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tbh I could probably name dozens of sets from both games that look better than Ornstein's, but I was never a fan of that look. It's fine on the boss, but looks goofy on a player, IMO.

Top Bottom