• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Well yes other wise I wouldn't have asked. Did you do one before patch 1.06 and the other after by any chance?

Unfortunately no (at least not recently) that's why I asked if some of you guys had fought the optional bosses. I want to check myself if the other optional bosses feel easier too; I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I mean, the archer was less annoying and the Havel guy didn't run as fast as I remember. They didn't even drink estus as they used to the first time I fought against them.

Mistel

Banned
Unfortunately no (at least not recently) that's why I asked if some of you guys had fought the optional bosses. I want to check myself if the other optional bosses feel easier too; I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I mean, the archer was less annoying and the Havel guy didn't run as fast as I remember. They didn't even drink estus as they used to the first time I fought against them.
You said you did it first when the dlc was released when ever you did the second one if it's after patch 1.06 then your character would actually be dealing more damage than the other due to the buff the greatsword received. Havel clone is the only who ever drank estus not any of the others.

No denying it's easier but it ain't because of a nerf, (which there's not a single mention at all for the patches following its release) it's because of buffs and tons of other variables that affect things.

strafer

Man, just lost 100k souls on the way back to collect in that spider area, i let myself get cornered.

Oh well, its dark souls.

whats the biggest loss you guys ever had?

Tarkus

Man, just lost 100k souls on the way back to collect in that spider area, i let myself get cornered.

Oh well, its dark souls.

whats the biggest loss you guys ever had?
The Ring of Life Protection has pretty much negated the loss of souls.

Speevy

Banned
DS2 definitely took away a lot of the frustration of losing hundreds of thousands of souls.

You can warp all over the map from the beginning once you kindle (don't even have to rest) a bonfire, you can become human for free (Shrine of Amana) and safeguard that humanity, a ring can safeguard your humanity, and enemies despawn after you kill them so many times.

Anyone who complains about DS2 being unfair because you lose souls needs to play it more.

DS2 definitely took away a lot of the frustration of losing hundreds of thousands of souls.

You can warp all over the map from the beginning once you kindle (don't even have to rest) a bonfire, you can become human for free (Shrine of Amana) and safeguard that humanity, a ring can safeguard your humanity, and enemies despawn after you kill them so many times.

Anyone who complains about DS2 being unfair because you lose souls needs to play it more.
It only exacerbated that frustration.

It's the first game in the series to actually punish you for losing souls by making them count towards your soul memory. It's like they added so many life protection rings and made them fixable because they knew how stupid the mechanic was from the start but couldn't backtrack on it. You can no longer say c'est la vie when you lose souls anymore because it can permanently hobble you if it happens enough.

Speevy

Banned
It only exacerbated that frustration.

It's the first game in the series to actually punish you for losing souls by making them count towards your soul memory. It's like they added so many life protection rings and made them fixable because they knew how stupid the mechanic was from the start but couldn't backtrack on it. You can no longer say c'est la vie when you lose souls anymore because it can permanently hobble you if it happens enough.

I don't play a whole lot with other players so I'm less familiar with soul memory, but how exactly does it affect solo players aside from invasions?

xezuru

What's the extent of the free DLC content when you don't own any of the season pass?
I talked to big blob dude 3 times, I assume now I have to bonfire asthetic to beat game and get a real ending?

Also around what range is recommended for PVP endurance, I know it dependant on equipment in general but wanna ballpark it, normal doofy competitive level is SL 150 right?

Mistel

Banned
What's the extent of the free DLC content when you don't own any of the season pass?
I talked to big blob dude 3 times, I assume now I have to bonfire asthetic to beat game and get a real ending?

Also around what range is recommended for PVP endurance, I know it dependant on equipment in general but wanna ballpark it, normal doofy competitive level is SL 150 right?
It's dependent on SM not on SL, get the agape ring and ballpark what you want to do once you've got that. Then you can build to tailor yourself to a SM tier. You will need to ascetic if you've already beaten Nashandra.
I don't play a whole lot with other players so I'm less familiar with soul memory, but how exactly does it affect solo players aside from invasions?
It opens the shrine of winter on every play through if the requirements are met.

It's a matter of perspective, I suppose. If you give no thought to online then soul memory will have no effect, but if you have even a passing interest in co-op or PVP losing Souls can set you back quite a bit and prevent you from ever catching up. Souls are no longer disposable. A guy with 1 million soul memory who used 95% of those Souls to level will always have the leg up on the same guy who only used 50% of that to level, not accounting for gear and skill.

Dsyndrome

I feel like such a cheap bastard for rolling with the Ring of Life Protection constantly. Actually stopped using it for a while because I could always just repair it and use the other one, but then the Darklurker happened... Was still pissed off at using over 20 humanity on that lady, wasn't going to watch as my life whittled down to half. I know I could use the shrine to make myself human, but couldn't bring myself to get to that level.

I'll lose a ringslot for the rest of my playthrough of the game to keep from losing humanity, hopefully I won't go the same route in Bloodborne.

If I kill the
ice stallions
enough times, will they stop spawning? Jesus they're making my life hard.

Yes. But they also buffed Silver Talismans in the last patch so that they work against enemies. If you only move when the storm clears with the Silver Talisman equipped you'll pretty much avoid all of them.

xezuru

It's dependent on SM not on SL, get the agape ring and ballpark what you want to do once you've got that. Then you can build to tailor yourself to a SM tier. You will need to ascetic if you've already beaten Nashandra.

Yeah, I know about SM, I just meant in a more competitive view they've had SL levels in previous games to bar stats and actually have meaningful stat / equipment sacrifices.

Mistel

Banned
If I kill the
ice stallions
enough times, will they stop spawning? Jesus they're making my life hard.
Yes it's about 10-15 times for them they're special in the fact they don't need a bonfire to respawn so you can do it one run if you really want.
Yeah, I know about SM, I just meant in a more competitive view they've had SL levels in previous games to bar stats and actually have meaningful stat / equipment sacrifices.
Not in this one per se it's more pick a SM tier instead of a SL and work with that, so you can get something similar but nowhere near as exact.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes. But they also buffed Silver Talismans in the last patch so that they work against enemies. If you only move when the storm clears with the Silver Talisman equipped you'll pretty much avoid all of them.
Huh? Hmm. So what, you cast the effect when the blizzard returns (I assume this also works with the Chameleon spell), the horses don't show up?

I don't know what's more annoying, fighting those horses or having to wait for the blizzard to pass (since you move so slowly with the effect on), though...

Huh? Hmm. So what, you cast the effect when the blizzard returns (I assume this also works with the Chameleon spell), the horses don't show up?

I don't know what's more annoying, fighting those horses or having to wait for the blizzard to pass (since you move so slowly with the effect on), though...

Haven't tried it myself, it's just what I've read. I'm not 100% sure if you have to only move when the blizzard lets up, but that's what people have said.

You can move at regular speeds with the effect on, I'm pretty sure. You can still "run", although I'm not sure if it's as fast as normal running.

strafer

My favorite boss fight in the game is Looking Glass Knight.

the rain, the music, the setting

BattleWithMirrorKnight.jpg

Soriku

The DLC is really good. Managed to beat Sunken King and I'm at the third bonfire in Iron King. I've managed to solo everything thus far, including the Gank Squad. Even though it's 3 vs 1, it was actually a really fun fight, and pretty tense. Hit and run tactics are obviously your only choice here alone. The dude with Havel's runs way faster than I expected...

maomaoIYP

That's odd. I've been reading that most people summon for the 2nd DLC because of its difficulty. I'll be wrapping up DS2 with it this weekend.

There's one unusually hard boss fight, but it's only hard because it's he deals a lot while taking very little damage. I didn't have severe frustration with it compared to the gank squad or dual tiger fights. DLC2 has the most fun exploration for me, I like verticality.

Hey SoulsGAF! I was wondering if the kindly Sunbros among you could help answer a couple of questions on DS2.

Firstly, I loved DS1. It's probably in my top-five games from the PS3-era. I originally had DS2 on pre-order, but ended up cancelling it due to time and financial constraints (couldn't really justify paying full price for a game that would be between half and a quarter of the price by the time I had time to play it). Time rolled on, I heard that it was worse than DS1, but I always ultimate intended to pick it up—it just never happened.

So now SotFS is coming out and I figured it might be the time to finally get the game. I'd be getting it on PS3, though, since I have no plans to get a PS4 for at least another year or more. So basically I had a couple of questions:

Firstly, are there performance issues on PS3? If so, were these fixed in patches and do we expect SotFS to be mostly fine on the performance front?

How many issues from DS2 were addressed by the DLC (areas), and do you think the proposed integration of some DLC enemies into the main game rectify some of this? Also, does the DLC address any issues with the narrative?

Obviously, people can't really address the SotFS stuff directly, like additional NPCs and the like, since it isn't out yet. But generally speaking how does what we know about it go a ways to correcting the missteps in the original product. I've heard the base game seems a lot less cohesive than DS1, so I don't really expect it to fix that, for example.

I guess, generally speaking, as someone who adores DS1 but skipped DS2, do you think getting SotFS will be worth it?

Thanks in advance!

There aren't going to be any more NPCs afaik, it's only
Aldia
and that's it, and he's already been patched in for free.

It's all a little confusing, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me, but I'm under the impression that all the new enemy placements etc are only in the next gen version of the game, and the 360/PS3 retail version is just like a GOTY edition with all 3 DLCs included. There isn't going to be any performance tweaks from the existing PS3 version other than have already been made (supposed faster loading times in the last patch).

The DLC areas are some of the best designed in the game in terms of layout, lots of twists and turns and shortcuts like previous game and somewhat missing in much of the base game. The enemies are pretty much like the base game though, not much improvement there. The bosses are a mixed bag, some are great, others are lazy.

SoFS is definately the version to get if you don't have the game already though.

SoFS is definately the version to get if you don't have the game already though.

I agree that it'd be nice to buy the complete game in one tidy package, but I'm hesitant to recommend SotFS until we know how the new enemy placement pans out. The preview video in FotFG looked absolutely terrible. It didn't look like any thought went into it at all, just "let's make DS2's already annoying mob structure worse by adding more". If FotFG was that bad, can you imagine what they did with No Man's Wharf or Shrine of Amana?

Eudaemonium, my advice is to wait for reviews of SotFS. The DLC is pretty good but it'd be bittersweet if the rest of the game is ruined by terrible enemy placement and "improved" AI that prevents you from running through them.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Ho-ly shit, this Frigid Outskirts place is something else. Fighting five ice ponies at once in a blizzard ... what in the world were they thinking?

Hey SoulsGAF! I was wondering if the kindly Sunbros among you could help answer a couple of questions on DS2.

Firstly, I loved DS1. It's probably in my top-five games from the PS3-era. I originally had DS2 on pre-order, but ended up cancelling it due to time and financial constraints (couldn't really justify paying full price for a game that would be between half and a quarter of the price by the time I had time to play it). Time rolled on, I heard that it was worse than DS1, but I always ultimate intended to pick it up—it just never happened.

So now SotFS is coming out and I figured it might be the time to finally get the game. I'd be getting it on PS3, though, since I have no plans to get a PS4 for at least another year or more. So basically I had a couple of questions:

Firstly, are there performance issues on PS3? If so, were these fixed in patches and do we expect SotFS to be mostly fine on the performance front?

How many issues from DS2 were addressed by the DLC (areas), and do you think the proposed integration of some DLC enemies into the main game rectify some of this? Also, does the DLC address any issues with the narrative?

Obviously, people can't really address the SotFS stuff directly, like additional NPCs and the like, since it isn't out yet. But generally speaking how does what we know about it go a ways to correcting the missteps in the original product. I've heard the base game seems a lot less cohesive than DS1, so I don't really expect it to fix that, for example.

I guess, generally speaking, as someone who adores DS1 but skipped DS2, do you think getting SotFS will be worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Worth it, the game is good, a solid souls game if you want to name it, there are no real issues in the game outside some lightning effects and wonky hitboxes.

The added content just add an NPC that tries to guide you in the natural progression of the game as some kind of narrator of world since the vanilla game was confusing in that regard because you wandered the game without aim or propurse.

The DLC is by most people agreed, the best content in DS2, insanely hard, hard bosses, rethinking your strategy and have puzzles but beware the content have some unfair design that make the content hard without real reward.

There aren't going to be any more NPCs afaik, it's only
Aldia
and that's it, and he's already been patched in for free.

It's all a little confusing, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me, but I'm under the impression that all the new enemy placements etc are only in the next gen version of the game, and the 360/PS3 retail version is just like a GOTY edition with all 3 DLCs included. There isn't going to be any performance tweaks from the existing PS3 version other than have already been made (supposed faster loading times in the last patch).

The DLC areas are some of the best designed in the game in terms of layout, lots of twists and turns and shortcuts like previous game and somewhat missing in much of the base game. The enemies are pretty much like the base game though, not much improvement there. The bosses are a mixed bag, some are great, others are lazy.

Yes, the extra npcs (??) and the new enemies (more mobs in some places and some key enemies were moved to other areas like drakes and the heides knights), more smart mobs, better effects, torchs new light are exclusive to the PS4/Xboxone version

Ho-ly shit, this Frigid Outskirts place is something else. Fighting five ice ponies at once in a blizzard ... what in the world were they thinking?

Making a unnecesary area to give you the illusion there is something interesting there
There is nothing there

There's a very important ring (for Fashion souls) in the Frigid Outskirts, so there is actually something there.

You said you did it first when the dlc was released when ever you did the second one if it's after patch 1.06 then your character would actually be dealing more damage than the other due to the buff the greatsword received. Havel clone is the only who ever drank estus not any of the others.

No denying it's easier but it ain't because of a nerf, (which there's not a single mention at all for the patches following its release) it's because of buffs and tons of other variables that affect things.

Well, I didn't know the greatsword received a buff, I thought it was nerfed. That may explain things, still, the guy using a greatbow was really annoying before to the point it was better to take him out first, this time though I killed him last. It was kinda satisfying after my previous (countless) encounter(s) against them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm not trolling. I actually go there as soon as I can with my new toons to get this ring. It's awesome. And I'm completely serious!
What's the name of that ring?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I thought you could already get that in the same castle as the Glass Knight-boss?

Yoshichan

No matter how much I try, I can never get the Iron Chest in Iron Keeps.

I roll in water for 10 seconds, I roll in 5 jars of water and immediately fall down on the chest but the fire damage is way too high. What do I do? What's in the chest, even?

I roll in water for 10 seconds, I roll in 5 jars of water and immediately fall down on the chest but the fire damage is way too high. What do I do? What's in the chest, even?

You need more than just the water to survive the lava platforms. I was able to get down there while taking no damage at all with the water pots, Flash Sweat, a Flame Quartz Ring + 2 and the Smelter Set. I also had an Elizabeth Mushroom for good measure.

There's two, one has a shield the other is a pyro spell iirc(?)

The fire defense stacking is as dodgy as item discovery stacking imo - sometimes I've just used flash sweat and it's done a better job than if I was using the water also.
Usually I would wear high fire defense equipment (Alonne knight gear is handy), the fire ring, flash sweat, roll through the jars, pop a life gem and plop down, chug Estus as needed.

you guys have any tips on where to farm some Twinkling Titanite?
I usually end up despawning Shrine of Amana every run because it's full of goodies, the lizardmen drop effigies, twinkling drops from the mages and the clerics.

I think people usually ascetic the Airie for all the crystal lizards though that should net a lot of twinkling.

strafer

I usually end up despawning Shrine of Amana every run because it's full of goodies, the lizardmen drop effigies, twinkling drops from the mages and the clerics.

I think people usually ascetic the Airie for all the crystal lizards though that should net a lot of twinkling.

ugh, good thing I picked up the Rebels Greatshield for dat Element Defense

Tarkus

you guys have any tips on where to farm some Twinkling Titanite?
Kill all 11 crystal lizards in Dragon Aerie. Gets you about 6-10 Twinkling and Dragon bones each. Burn an Ascetic and do it again. There's no boss and the three giant dragons don't increase in difficulty that much with each ascetic. This way is much quicker than Shrine of Amana.

The second bonfire in Shulva is the best way to get Twinkling. There's a chest with three of them along with three Petrified Dragon Bones, and the route to the chest will net you another ascetic, some consumable souls and two effigies.

IceMarker

Isn't there already a ring that makes you appear human?

How does the "disguise invaders as humanoid enemies" mechanic work?

It's saying that due to your character not having the bright red/blue/grey/white glow that a phantom normally does, if you wear the same armor sets as human enemies (such as Alonne Knights) and play your cards right you can trick/confuse the host into thinking you're an NPC.

It's saying that due to your character not having the bright red/blue/grey/white glow that a phantom normally does, if you wear the same armor sets as human enemies (such as Alonne Knights) and play your cards right you can trick/confuse the host into thinking you're an NPC.

That would never work with the Alonne knight set, enemies are bigger than a normal human. I think from software created that ring because they know appearance is serious business for some of us.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Well, some good news on the PC modding front. Apparently the server hack created to bypass all of Namco/From's "restrictions placed on your account" that so many innocent people incurred simply by picking up items from summons and using save backups and ENB's is being publicly released soon. Reason for it being released publicly is to both smear Namco for the behavior and also because the programmer believes they'd need to rewrite the entire server code in order to combat the loophole. Apparently, the server you're on will see that "you" are online but reports random identification of the account effectively breaking any "restrictions" the server-side could have applied to your account, and every time you login to the server the identification is randomized again leading to total ineffectiveness of this system.

So, if you were one of the unfortunates that picked up a hacked item from a summon with no idea (a staple since Demon's was sharing dropped loot), or just used a ENB or save backup and got restrictions for PvP/Co-Op put on your account, you should be unshackled when this releases for all PC users. You're welcome. ;)

Mistel

Banned
I thought you could already get that in the same castle as the Glass Knight-boss?
That's the ring of the dead that makes you look human whilst hollowed.
I'm not trolling. I actually go there as soon as I can with my new toons to get this ring. It's awesome. And I'm completely serious!
I'd pick up the ring of the embedded along the way if I were you, the benefits from it are quite good.
That would never work with the Alonne knight set, enemies are bigger than a normal human.
It does work. It's surprising how little attention some people pay to enemies if they're just standing there.

Top Bottom