• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

you guys have any tips on where to farm some Twinkling Titanite?

Addind an extra zone outside the mentioned places, there are two TT to the left before entering the Giant King memory in a hanging corpse ,grab the TT, enter the memory, grab the ascetic go outside, use the ascetic, repeat

I really enjoyed Vaati's newest video. Whether or not you agree with his conclusions, I feel like it wraps up the lore of DS2 very nicely. It also shows why I thoroughly enjoyed the overall story of DS2, especially with the info we received post DLC and SotFS.

Ring of the Living is a must for Fashion Souls now, although it does make me feel stupid for grinding out Rank 2 in BoB so many times to get that sweet aura.

I really wonder how SotFS will balance co-op, the game is a cakewalk as-is with three players. Six people spamming CSS or poking with Ice Rapiers will mean instant kills against most bosses, even if their HP is raised to attempt to compensate for the extra damage.

I really enjoyed Vaati's newest video. Whether or not you agree with his conclusions, I feel like it wraps up the lore of DS2 very nicely. It also shows why I thoroughly enjoyed the overall story of DS2, especially with the info we received post DLC and SotFS.

Usually I don't agree with most of what he says when it comes to speculations. He can get things not only wrong but very wrong, he pushed so hard the idea that From Software was saying "look guys, this is a cycle so from now on all Souls games are going to be the same over and over again and the only thing you have to do in future titles is trying to find who posses the soul of Lord Gwyn this time", and because of him (and the ones who followed), many people accepted that as the only true.

Fortunately, it seems he changed his mind and now he offers a good theory rather than "hey, the story of DSII is so meta, they are trying to say that all games are going to be the same".

I agree with his conclusions: we are seeing the end of the cycle, this is our happy ending. That doesn't mean that I think the story of the universe of Dark Souls is over though.

Usually I don't agree with most of what he says when it comes to speculations. He can get things not only wrong but very wrong, he pushed so hard the idea that From Software was saying "look guys, this is a cycle so from now on all Souls games are going to be the same over and over again and the only thing you have to do in future titles is trying to find who posses the soul of Lord Gwyn this time", and because of him (and the ones who followed), many people accepted that as the only true.

Fortunately, it seems he changed his mind and now he offers a good theory rather than "hey, the story of DSII is so meta, they are trying to say that all games are going to be the same".

I agree with his conclusions: we are seeing the end of the cycle, this is our happy ending. That doesn't mean that I think the story of the universe of Dark Souls is over though.

Oh my you nailed it, you nailed why I hate this idea Dark Souls 2 brought about the never ending cicles justifying the mess of the lore the game have since the next cicle would erase those problems and start again feeling dark souls 2 a wasted of a game time and the new ending didnt help either.

Vaati just explained the darkwraith ending as a true ending for him.

EDIT: And it crashed with the endless cicle idea.

EDIT2: Oh my, he believes getting all the crowns
breaks the curse
after all the stuff he said in the beginning.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How bad is the defense negative bonus when wearing armour you don't meet the stats for? I want to wear the Chaos cloak for my character, it'd fit him perfectly, but it requires 18 int/18 fth... :(

I don't know man, if he's changed his tune I honestly think he hit the nail on the head the first time - digging any deeper than that is kind of wishful thinking. Regardless of what From plans for the future of the series, the writers of DS2 were definitely enamored with the notion of "don't all these things remind you of something???". The entire narrative, if it could be said to have one, is based around encouraging the player to draw connections between this game and its predecessor. The lore is definitely not one of this game's strong suits.

Well, some good news on the PC modding front. Apparently the server hack created to bypass all of Namco/From's "restrictions placed on your account" that so many innocent people incurred simply by picking up items from summons and using save backups and ENB's is being publicly released soon. Reason for it being released publicly is to both smear Namco for the behavior and also because the programmer believes they'd need to rewrite the entire server code in order to combat the loophole. Apparently, the server you're on will see that "you" are online but reports random identification of the account effectively breaking any "restrictions" the server-side could have applied to your account, and every time you login to the server the identification is randomized again leading to total ineffectiveness of this system.

So, if you were one of the unfortunates that picked up a hacked item from a summon with no idea (a staple since Demon's was sharing dropped loot), or just used a ENB or save backup and got restrictions for PvP/Co-Op put on your account, you should be unshackled when this releases for all PC users. You're welcome. ;)

This is great news.

Oh my you nailed it, you nailed why I hate this idea Dark Souls 2 brought about the never ending cicles justifying the mess of the lore the game have since the next cicle would erase those problems and start again feeling dark souls 2 a wasted of a game time and the new ending didnt help either.

Vaati just explained the darkwraith ending as a true ending for him.

EDIT: And it crashed with the endless cicle idea.

EDIT2: Oh my, he believes getting all the crowns
breaks the curse
after all the stuff he said in the beginning.

I have the impression you misunderstood my post: I agree with Vaati on this one. I believe you and I had a discussion when we saw the ending of the Lost Crowns trilogy; at that time I said that we got our happy ending and you didn't agree (and by the looks of it you still don't agree).

I don't think DSII messed with the lore of the previous game. The devs just took one of the endings and made it cannon, they could've taken the other ending and work with that (and people would get mad that they chose that ending anyways).

I don't agree with the notion that they presented the story as a never ending cycle so they could make as many games as they wanted with just a twist in the story. What they actually showed was a King who is actually aware of the cycle and who made many choices based on that. To me even in the vanilla version there's enough evidence that Vendrick was trying to brake the cycle. I believe the DLC and now the recent patch confirm that DSII's story is about trying to break the cycle.

I don't know man, if he's changed his tune I honestly think he hit the nail on the head the first time - digging any deeper than that is kind of wishful thinking. Regardless of what From plans for the future of the series, the writers of DS2 were definitely enamored with the notion of "don't all these things remind you of something???". The entire narrative, if it could be said to have one, is based around encouraging the player to draw connections between this game and its predecessor. The lore is definitely not one of this game's strong suits.

I think it's quite the opposite: we have just 2 games and at least 5 or 6 cycles that according to the lore happened.

I believe many people prefer to pretend that DSII is full of failures and that the story is just another one rather than giving the dev team credit that they made some interesting (although controversial) choices.

I have the impression you misunderstood my post: I agree with Vaati on this one. I believe you and I had a discussion when we saw the ending of the Lost Crowns trilogy; at that time I said that we got our happy ending and you didn't agree (and by the looks of it you still don't agree).

I don't think DSII messed with the lore of the previous game. The devs just took one of the endings and made it cannon, they could've taken the other ending and work with that (and people would get mad that they chose that ending anyways).

I don't agree with the notion that they presented the story as a never ending cycle so they could make as many games as they wanted with just a twist in the story. What they actually showed was a King who is actually aware of the cycle and who made many choices based on that. To me even in the vanilla version there's enough evidence that Vendrick was trying to brake the cycle. I believe the DLC and now the recent patch confirm that DSII's story is about trying to break the cycle.

I think it's quite the opposite: we have just 2 games and at least 5 or 6 cycles that according to the lore happened.

I believe many people prefer to pretend that DSII is full of failures and that the story is just another one rather than giving the dev team credit that they made some interesting (although controversial) choices.

Fair point, I dont feel the game is a failure, is a great game but it gave me the impression the devs just took some ideas from dark souls 1 and make the Dark Souls 2 world and rules based in their own new ideas forgetting about some few key elements which most of the times it clash and makes no sense for me in some parts of the game.

Random Majora's Mask moment for me is when Lucatiel have a human efigie but she "coulnt" see her in the efigie and gives you her cure for the hollowing pointing out more the world is spinning around you this time.

Basically Vaati's video just recaps
Aldia
and Vendrick is based around Kaathe narration about the legacy of the dark souls and the nature of the dark lord which is explained by kaathe too. Which makes me wonders how many players actually found the darkwraiths covenant.

...I don't understand what you just wrote. :( Can you clarify? Not meeting the stat reqs for armours loses a defensive bonus from scaling but still has the normal flat defense? Or do you actually lose defense..?

The gear stay in the gear base defense plus minus defense and if the gear have a skill like faster casting you cant use it.

strafer

Would love for Dark Souls 3 to look like this.

faraam_1onptq.gif
faraam_2rxp3s.gif

Mistel

Banned
I think that place is the forest of the giants...so...yeah...

Too bad you never see Faraam outside seeing
his corpse
There's the Faraam exiles (well humans with the set at least) in the frigid outskirts and then there's the invader that has Faraam gear and vendricks sword and sheild.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible that Dragon Aerie is not in the same timeline as compared to the rest of the Dark Souls II areas and actually back in time?

Because you find a younger sounding Emeral Herald/Shanalotte and also a smaller version of
Aldia

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
You travel back in time by going up a lift?

Not while using the lift in this case, but rather while traversing through Aldia's Keep!

Similarly the disjointed connection between Earthen Peak and Iron Keep could be the same, areas in Drangleic are connected both geographically (in the same land) and over different timelines?

Mistel

Banned
Not while using the lift in this case, but rather while traversing through Aldia's Keep!

Similarly the disjointed connection between Earthen Peak and Iron Keep could be the same, areas in Drangleic are connected both geographically (in the same land) and over different timelines?
How though?

The second thing is just map design more than anything otherwise there's time travel occurring every time you walk somewhere in the entire game. Take for example majula to heide it's a minute or so journey and you end up really far away if you look back to majula all you can see is the obelisk.

strafer

Watching EpicNameBro tackle bosses is something else, he makes it look so damn easy.

Shame he hasn't done the DLC, I usually watch him do a boss after I beat a particular one to see if I can improve and look for hints.

Bloodborne is going to be amazing to watch.

With Agape Ring and Champion's Covenant I thought I'd be rolling in red eye stones from the piggies in Majula. The reality is a little less impressive.

Is it possible that Dragon Aerie is not in the same timeline as compared to the rest of the Dark Souls II areas and actually back in time?

Because you find a younger sounding Emeral Herald/Shanalotte and also a smaller version of
Aldia

He couldnt fit the bonfire small room so the devs just shrink him to fit, lol

Also He really messed up the drakes in that area so he could like probably avoiding them.

Aldia

she looks the same to me

She's definitely smaller. And her voice definitely sounds different. There's something to be said for some possible time travel at some point. It's not like Dark Souls hasn't played with time travel before.

She's definitely smaller. And her voice definitely sounds different. There's something to be said for some possible time travel at some point. It's not like Dark Souls hasn't played with time travel before.

I want to how the young shanallote voice was used for, but the sound effects in Dragon aerie are kinda distorsioned by the constant enviroment sounds.

GulAtiCa

Man, I haven't played this game in so so long. Thinking of moving my PS3 to my bedroom (since no room downstairs on main TV for it anymore). And starting a new character (Miracle character of course) and playing from start.

Man, I haven't played this game in so so long. Thinking of moving my PS3 to my bedroom (since no room downstairs on main TV for it anymore). And starting a new character (Miracle character of course) and playing from start.

Starter priest have the best starter melee weapon.

GulAtiCa

Starter priest have the best starter melee weapon.
Oh yeah. I'm just saying character will eventually mainly use miracles and miracle infused weapons. Etc.

Haven't played in like 8 months. Let's see if my skills from once playing 500 hours holds up now haha.

Might be fun to do another Deprived start. I did that with my Pyro character I think. Be interesting to do it now when my skills are rusty. Haha.

Can't wait to be invaded again. :)

Just watched the latest any% speed run WR and was pretty blown away by it. It was the same old run that's been used for a while now, but there was some new stuff I hadn't seen in the past few that I'd watched. Some of the boss kills were way faster than before, can't wait to see people try and top this. I love that people are still finding new stuff in DS1, so I don't see why it shouldn't be the same for DS2 even years from now. :)

Mistel

Banned
Oh yeah. I'm just saying character will eventually mainly use miracles and miracle infused weapons. Etc.

Haven't played in like 8 months. Let's see if my skills from once playing 500 hours holds up now haha.

Might be fun to do another Deprived start. I did that with my Pyro character I think. Be interesting to do it now when my skills are rusty. Haha.

Can't wait to be invaded again. :)
Not to put a dampener on your plans Gulatica, but during those 8 months there was some balancing with the patches that reduced casts and the damage of miracles a fair bit which might make it a bit harder to rely purely on miracles. On the other hand though infused weapons are pretty viable still even more so than they were originally in some cases. Plus there's some new equipment that might help a fair bit if you've got the dlc's which they're in.
Sigh, hitbox are still bad
You expected them not to be? There unlikely to be ever fixed at all.

GulAtiCa

Not to put a dampener on your plans Gulatica, but during those 8 months there was some balancing with the patches that reduced casts and the damage of miracles a fair bit which might make it a bit harder to rely purely on miracles. On the other hand though infused weapons are pretty viable still even more so than they were originally in some cases. Plus there's some new equipment that might help a fair bit if you've got the dlc's which they're in.

Oh yeah, I'd figure they make casting less overkilled. Already experienced some of the patches that rebalanced things, so I'm not expecting things to be easy or anything. Last time I played, I played a lot of PvP with a nice mace and got kinda decent with it. So I'll essentially be a combo mace/sword/etc fighter with using miracles.

Everything be rebalanced and me out of shape, essentially, kinda excites me as well, as allows me to relearn the game while being so long that I'm not expecting things to be a certain way. :)

With infinite spell herbs, decreasing the number of casts is neither here nor there imo. Plus you can buy infinite amounts of some spells or at least have the maximum number you could ever attune by, say NG++ - I know that's true of spells like Dark Orb, Lightning Spear. Even boss soul spells you can mop up with ascetics.

Mistel

Banned
Everything be rebalanced and me out of shape, essentially, kinda excites me as well, as allows me to relearn the game while being so long that I'm not expecting things to be a certain way. :)
You'll be fine then, there's some new stuff added by the latest patch that is easier to do on a new playthrough as you don't have to ascetic anything. Not that is much of a problem but it's something to bare in mind.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think the worst hitboxes are from those dog monsters in the Gutter. It's just... their hitbox is like 360 around their bodies and can seemingly damage you before the animation even starts.

Top Bottom