• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

ElFly

Yeah that never made sense to me as no other boss in the game works like that. Freja is the only one you have to touch the glowy red thing on the ground afterwards and I don't know why.

It s simple

The soul of freja is not the great soul. The soul of freja is a regular ass soul as you can check in the inventory.

test_account

XP-39C²
Congrats to the people who got their platinum trophies :)

I just finished my no bonfire run on NG+++++. The first thing i did after equipping the ring was to rest at a bonfire. Felt good hehe =) I'm too high up on 'New Game' that i'm not even going to attempt a no death run.

iKUem6P3oq79E.jpg

Jaeger

I just finished my no bonfire run on NG+++++. The first thing i did after equipping the ring was to rest at a bonfire. Felt good hehe =) I'm too high up on 'New Game' that i'm not even going to attempt a no death run.

iKUem6P3oq79E.jpg

Congrats!

SoldnerKei

neat, congrats dude, I will try this out someday, but I think I'll end up resting in one by mistake lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Congrats!
neat, congrats dude, I will try this out someday, but I think I'll end up resting in one by mistake lol

Its actually not that hard, in my opinion, it just can be more annoying to do much back tracking. You can die, so its easy to refill spells and Estus flasks. Just try to focus every time you light a bonfire by pressing the button once only. It might also be wise to take your hand away from the face button afterwards to be sure, and also take the hand away from the face buttons after you die, to make sure that you dont accidentily hit any buttons once you respawn again (since you're then right next to the bonfire).

Its also wise to plan ahead which bonfires to light, especially in areas where you have to do a lot of back tracking. If you just light the bonfire as you go, you might end up doing some huge backtracking if you die.

EDIT: Also, if you use spells, make sure to attune the spells that you want before starting a new "New Game". You cant attune the spells when not using the bonfire.

Minamu

Oh yeah, that dragon thing in Freja's room, was I supposed to do something with that after getting the ashen mist heart? :O Totally forgot about it until now :(

Edit: Seems I was, darnit.

maomaoIYP

I didnt know the witch set have three hats.....I must GET.THEM.ALL

They match? If so where do you get them.

Of course they match lady, one of then looks like gwyndolin veil but purple.

Its looks like it drops from the mage phantom in Sol bell but I cant see them anymore to test it. I am in their covenant but no result at all

Both are dropped by black phantoms in belfry sol.
Witch lady drops the veil, dual avelyn dude drops the mask.
I have both, on separate characters who aren't casters. To farm them you need asectics, I got both without farming. The veil is ugly (IMO) and has no secondary efffect while the mask increases magic atk at the expense of HP. I want get my friend to help me transfer it to my sorceress.

Both are dropped by black phantoms in belfry sol.
Witch lady drops the veil, dual avelyn dude drops the mask.
I have both, on separate characters who aren't casters. To farm them you need asectics, I got both without farming. The veil is ugly (IMO) and has no secondary efffect while the mask increases magic atk at the expense of HP. I want get my friend to help me transfer it to my sorceress.

You are not soul fashionista it seems.

The witch lady only appear once? I killed it and didnt gave me anything =(

Also casters dont need HP

maomaoIYP

You are not soul fashionista it seems.

The witch lady only appear once? I killed it and didnt gave me anything =(

Also casters dont need HP

LOL, there's a little truth in that. I build characters for PvP, and I do make an effort to look nice, although I won't sacrifice function over form.
My current favorite PvP caster-melee character wears the hexer's hood (ugly, but necessary), witch's robe, and looking glass gaunlets and greaves. The dress hides the heavy armor underneath nicely. Also I have 50 VGR. Sexy, functional, and I can tank some hits.

The black phantoms only appear once per bonfire asectic and the drop rate is 1%.
So bring your jester's hat, prisoner's tatters, gold serpent ring +2 and rusted coin.

Jaeger

When people run and heal in the middle of a match. -_- I'm just gonna have to be that guy who doesn't adhere to any rules whatsoever. Because no one else does, so why should I.

maomaoIYP

When people run and heal in the middle of a match. -_- I'm just gonna have to be that guy who doesn't adhere to any rules whatsoever. Because no one else does, so why should I.

I have a love hate relationship with people who do this. When I'm a caster I love it because I usually can tell when they're going to drink and will clean them out with a single soul spear or GRS.
When I'm doing melee the avelyn is a little less reliable for a kill.
However if I see them drink I will drink as well, because fuck that shit.

What's your preference GAF? Light or dark? Heide knight or llewellyn/drangleic? These are important decisions! Never forget that fashion souls is best souls.

Heide knight may make more thematic sense for my character as I am str/fai build. On the other hand, the blackout look with llewellyn, defenders greatsword, and kings shield is pretty damn sexy.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Question: what's the duration of the rusted coins and how many can you use at once? Does using multiple coins affect your luck or should you only use one per encounter?
Plat got. Fits nicely beside my Demon's Souls platinum as the two only Playstation games I ever got platinum in, lol.

Wgr17a1.png

I'll probably have to unplug my PS3 now. RIP
Where's dark souls 1? ;)
Man, Navlaan is a piece of shit...
"Pull back!"

LOL, there's a little truth in that. I build characters for PvP, and I do make an effort to look nice, although I won't sacrifice function over form.
My current favorite PvP caster-melee character wears the hexer's hood (ugly, but necessary), witch's robe, and looking glass gaunlets and greaves. The dress hides the heavy armor underneath nicely. Also I have 50 VGR. Sexy, functional, and I can tank some hits.

The black phantoms only appear once per bonfire asectic and the drop rate is 1%.
So bring your jester's hat, prisoner's tatters, gold serpent ring +2 and rusted coin.

Prisioner set is my pvp set

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Company of Champions run almost complete... just killed the A
ncient Dragon. First try too and no Gyrm Greatshield. Once again, screw the people saying "go naked". Surviving the fire gives you a lot more leeway. I wore upgraded armour (+9 for most pieces) and the flame quartz+1 ring, used a Small Orange Burr, and survived at 40 VIG + 3rd dragon ring. I avoided the fire well enough for the most part but it's a long fight and did get hit a few times. No biggie, 2 estus and I'm fine again. :p
Only V
endrick
left! And I'm debating whether or not to
free Navlaan... Already did his sidequest and all. Sure, he'll give me Awestones but I don't care much about ranking in this covenant. 50 stones for the Seal seems like such a goddamn grind. I only have 11 right now. And the thought of offering 50 of them one by one just kills me.

Cat Party

^ lol, well hope you're at 45% for her sake!

I still don't know how much ADP influences your dodging, I've still only put 10 points into it, aftet never really touching it on previous characters - but this being a dual wield, no shield build I've stuck to the 30% break point in equipment load (haven't really looked but picked up from discussion that 30 and 70 are the % break points this time around?) - and that to me makes a huge difference.

When I think back to how much trouble I had against Vendrick with my base 4 ADP and 70% equipment load cleric, I'm sure had I had 30% instead my failed dodge rolls would've been successful. The visual animation difference between the two are deceptive because rolling around they don't look that different, but using them in combat the difference is night and day, I don't get clipped anywhere near as much as before.

I think 10 is the minimum ADP that you should go with. I upped it from 4 to 10 on my cleric after having troubles with the Gargoyles, and I think it made a noticeable difference.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No one responded to my last post, boo.

Well, I just got the black steel katana and I'm a int/Dex build (3030 each right now). What's best to infuse it with?

Already eoxkoing flame sword +9 aand heide spear +5, just not sure what the majority of ffuture encounters wpoild benefit me the best with infusion, since I have so little stones to spare

Mistel

Banned
What's your preference GAF? Light or dark? Heide knight or llewellyn/drangleic? These are important decisions! Never forget that fashion souls is best souls.

Heide knight may make more thematic sense for my character as I am str/fai build. On the other hand, the blackout look with llewellyn, defenders greatsword, and kings shield is pretty damn sexy.
Heide knight armor with the iron mask:
68U1634.png

Functional and theme fitting.

Styles

The Sacred Cime Hammer is probably my favourite weapon from DS2. It looks so freaking badass with pieces from Velstadt's set, the King's crown and the Throne Defender's chest piece.

Question: what's the duration of the rusted coins and how many can you use at once? Does using multiple coins affect your luck or should you only use one per encounter?Where's dark souls 1? ;)"Pull back!"

Here:
Z70378O.png

and

fKPCMjd.jpg

;)

Btw. Dark Souls 1 looks and feels so weird now with it's black background huge HUD and instant-heals that get you out of situations so easily.

Eusis

Good to know, thanks. Guess I'll put one more point into ADP and then start pumping up my INT and FTH.
Meh, don't bother if you're at 110. Far as I can tell the cap is at 110, and you do get Agility points from Attunement too.

EDIT: No, maybe I'm wrong, wiki's saying 120. Well, go to the old firekeepers and do a respec, so long as you don't CONFIRM it you won't use up a Soul Vessel, and so you're free to experiment and see how much of a benefit you get from whatever.

SL 181 , Sorcerer.

VGR 20
END 20
VIT 5
ATN 35
STR 15
DEX 15
ADP 10
INT 57
FTH 57

Should I focus on ATN for casting speed/slots or go for STR/DEX so I can experiment with some melee stuff later? Or just go with ADP all the way to soft cap?

I've been watching this to get the Vanquisher's Seal early and I'm gonna start a new character tonight for it.

I'm pretty sure you can do it differently without leveling up so high, a google search led me to reddit where someone said you can use Force to bop the BP in Grave of Saints off the bridge you lower with a lockstone, sounds better to me - but the idea of doing the boss on NG+++ at a low level kind of scares me. I want to try it any way, why I don't know, I just like getting the stuff I want to use as early as possible.

What the hell, did they patch out being able to Ascetic
Black Gulch
to get an extra
Soul of a Giant
?

edit: Wait, it doesn't work when you do it on the Hidden Bonfire? Fuck's sake.

What the hell, did they patch out being able to Ascetic
Black Gulch
to get an extra
Soul of a Giant
?

edit: Wait, it doesn't work when you do it on the Hidden Bonfire? Fuck's sake.
I've been looking at getting that fifth soul without going through the tedium of AD and apparently, you should use the ascetic on the first bonfire, not the hidden one.

I was about to do it myself.

Edit: just did it, I can confirm it works on 1.03.

Pryor

Well I decided to jump in for some PvP and it turns out I am terrible at it! Yay!I am kinda liking my faith build at the moment but maybe it needs a bit of tweaking for pvp.

Here is what I am rolling with at the start of NG+:
SL150
VGR - 20
END - 20
VIT - 20
ATN - 22
STR - 30
DEX - 18
ADP - 20
INT - 3
FTH - 51 (+1 From Saint's Hood)

Rings:
Chloranthy
3rd Dragon
Clear Bluestone
Ring of Blades

Weapons:
Defender Greatsword +4 (Lightning Infused) / Dragon Chime +5

Shields:
Watchers Shield / Rebels Greatshield

Miracles:
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Great Heal

Ok Defenders Greatsword might not be rocking it in terms of damage but I am loving the move set it has. It just feels very comfortable to play with. I occasionally swap out for a Lightning Grand Lance.

Any ideas of what to tweak would be great! :D

looks like a pretty fun build. I'll have to try the defender sword. Rolled as pure magic first time through, going to have to respec for NG+ to try out hexes and miracles

Top Bottom