• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Get the tsledora set for more souls. Stripper armor is just my name for the desert sorceress gloves and bra. I need to find so boots that look nice with it maybe the judgement tights.

Cat pants because "prrrrrrrrrrr =3"

I tried with the black witch boots and it looks nice, and I think the sorcerers in undead crypt dont use pants

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Fashion souls is a big deal. I'm excited to create my first female character this weekend for my magic play through.
Get the tsledora set for more souls. Stripper armor is just my name for the desert sorceress gloves and bra. I need to find so boots that look nice with it maybe the judgement tights.
I wonder if you throw all your soul drop bonus armor on right before a boss is killed, it will work the same way as in Dark Souls 1, where you could put on the covetous silver ring at the last second and get the bonus souls. I should farm for this set from the spider's and then sun bro to test this.

maomaoIYP

I keep running into this guy in the duelling arena that has an impossible amount of health and defense.
It's almost as if the duelling arena has no SM matchmaking.

Mistel

Banned
Cat pants because "prrrrrrrrrrr =3"

I tried with the black witch boots and it looks nice, and I think the sorcerers in undead crypt dont use pants
Cat pants nice must go buy those then shame I cant get stockings or a corset but oh well.
Fashion souls is a big deal. I'm excited to create my first female character this weekend for my magic play through. I wonder if you throw all your soul drop bonus armor on right before a boss is killed, it will work the same way as in Dark Souls 1, where you could put on the covetous silver ring at the last second and get the bonus souls. I should farm for this set from the spider's and then sun bro to test this.
I think it does still work to increase your soul drops. Fashion souls is the most important thing ever.

I just did it (praise the sun!) and what you describe is pretty much what annoyed me the most. When he'd get against the wall, I backed off so that he would do that one-hit kill lunge attack (which is easily avoided by rolling toward him).
That puts him back in the middle of the room and you can start angling him again.

Did it :D

Darklurker
is still doing my head in though. I can handle him fine until the split, then I can't handle having 2 ranged attacks being fired at me at the same time.

I tried using Chaos Storm to hit both of them at the split, but the first time, I left it a bit too late and got hit and killed before the animation finished, second time one of them somehow avoided the pillars, and killed me :s

Having to use an effigy every time you face him is silly. Can't figure out what the reasoning behind that is, I'm down to 14 of them, having had about 30 of them before I started. Thankfully the dark enemies have stopped respawnin though, so it's a simple enough run to him

Think I've screwed my chances of seeing any of the NPC questlines bought to a close, since I've not summoned any help. All I've got left as far as I can tell is

Darklurker
Ancient Dragon
Final area (King's door in Drangleic Castle)
Naavlan quest

Random thoughts / question while I'm at work:

Every time I die/go Hollow, I go co-op to regain humanity and then come back to the area. Is this putting my Soul Memory well above what it should be? I'm at SL160 I believe (maybe slightly lower) with about 2.3 million soul memory - is this normal?

The first thing I did when I got the King's Ring was open the door in Drangelic Castle and defeat the duo at Throne of Want. Should I not have done this so soon? Also, I put my summon sign down to help others with the fight and accidentally got summoned for
Nashandra
and spoiled the end boss battle for myself, which sucks.

I use some sort of Keyblade looking thing to open a cage and save one of those singing women from Amana - are there more of these girls strewn about?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Whatever, dude.
how-i-got-through-dark-souls-o.gif

So, Dragon Shrine has basically put me off this game for a while. The enemies there are so ruthless, it's insane. Hoping I'll get good enough to carry on soon; I'd love to finish this game haha.

Inskipp

So, Dragon Shrine has basically put me off this game for a while. The enemies there are so ruthless, it's insane. Hoping I'll get good enough to carry on soon; I'd love to finish this game haha.
You could purchase some poison arrows/knives from Gavlan and just cheese the enemies with ranged combat.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Can anyone offer suggestions on how to beat the damn dual Pursuers? I'm getting my ass destroyed by them.
They are pretty tough. Unfortunately we can't all be this guy.

Do you have pyromancy? They have a tendency to group together so AOE like Forbidden Sun is pretty excellent. If you aren't a magic guy, I at least recommend throwing some holy water urns or any other kind of ranged attack you have available to grind them down a bit. Then try baiting out their attacks, if you can get them to begin the 3-hit combo in tandem you have a ton of room to counter and hopefully finish one off.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does coop/pvp just rely on Soul Memory and not Soul level?
I'm not even sure anymore. I cooped with my friend when, according to this tool, we were way out of range of SM (even with the ring) and he still summoned me. Our levels were fairly close though. This was in NG.

So confusing.

Got the fifth soul, now
Vendrick
keeps killing me. I have the setup and timing pretty much down, but he keeps backing against a wall, preventing me from getting into the safe zone :(
I hate when he does that. He did it to me recently, just spammed that back hop and hogged the wall. Grrr.

You can completely block most of vendricks attacks and circle strafe him. You could probably do that with no giant souls at all if you've got enough time.
And durability... but yeah as we said that doesn't work when he's against the wall. Can't circle strafe, and if he does a sword combo you're SOL. Tried dodging that and it still clips me. It's funny when he does that downward slam and I dodge sideways, and die even though the sword clearly landed several feet next to me... xD One time I rolled towards him and died, but another time I rolled towards him and lived, AND saw the sword cleave right where I was. It should have hit me, but didn't. His hitboxes are crazy. If people want to bitch about this game's hitboxes, they should use him as example.

Nope, xbox. He could cast homing soul mass with all 5 orbs, sunlight blade, power stanced 2 washing poles, and when I got a parry to connect, my riposte hit for over a thousand and took less than 40% of his health. WTF.
Sounds like a hacker. :( Lame.

I'm not even sure anymore. I cooped with my friend when, according to this tool, we were way out of range of SM (even with the ring) and he still summoned me. Our levels were fairly close though. This was in NG.

So confusing.

I hate when he does that. He did it to me recently, just spammed that back hop and hogged the wall. Grrr.

And durability... but yeah as we said that doesn't work when he's against the wall. Can't circle strafe, and if he does a sword combo you're SOL. Tried dodging that and it still clips me. It's funny when he does that downward slam and I dodge sideways, and die even though the sword clearly landed several feet next to me... xD One time I rolled towards him and died, but another time I rolled towards him and lived, AND saw the sword cleave right where I was. It should have hit me, but didn't. His hitboxes are crazy. If people want to bitch about this game's hitboxes, they should use him as example.

Sounds like a hacker. :( Lame.

My strategy for Vendrick basically was the following:

1. Lock on, hug left foot to avoid sword swings
2. Pepper his ankles with attacks when open
3. If near a wall, break lock on and put distance on him
4. Rush him when he starts his little trot towards you to avoid his running sweep strike
5. Rinse and repeat

Here is my hot tip: try lightning. Staggers them like mad. One combo from me and they were done.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I didn't say _why_ I thought the game is shit. It's shit because the game runs at like 20 fps and the sluggish controls makes pixel perfect dodging retardly hard, and the fact that i-frames on rolls is now heavily stat-based makes it even more stupid.

I'm awaiting the PC-version. Gonna play it (again), and this time go through the entire thing. 60fps@1080p will do a lot for this game.

Is there a spell or item that prevents you from taking damage from behind? Ran into quite a few people who seem to have a ghost around their back. :/

sixghost

What are some recommendations for weapons with interesting movesets? I've used the uchigatana, the blacksteel katana, the mirrah greatsword, the falchion, and the moonlight greatsword.

Cheers

So I can sweep up after killing the final boss?

I'm led to believe that you need to kill the final boss to get Cale's hat without killing him

Not sure about the hat. I got it and didn't kill Cale.

As for cleaning up afterward, totally. I did the entire Pilgrims of Dark covenant after I beat the last boss.

zma1013

What are some recommendations for weapons with interesting movesets? I've used the uchigatana, the blacksteel katana, the mirrah greatsword, the falchion, and the moonlight greatsword.

Try a halberd of some sort. You can turn yourself into a helicopter of death. WARNING: It may get old quickly.

Pursuer has a dark magic soulmass type attack? Who knew! I got sloppy rolling and he cursed me, I backed off to heal and he unleashed a soul vortex type hex magic. Jeez.

Inskipp

Pursuer has a dark magic soulmass type attack? Who knew! I got sloppy rolling and he cursed me, I backed off to heal and he unleashed a soul vortex type hex magic. Jeez.
It seems to be one of his rarer moves, only seen it once in the double- Pursuer fight in the throne room.

Mundane Santier's spear.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It activates when you are cursed, which happens if you are hit by his blue sword attack.

I guess that's why I've never seen it before, I've only been cursed once before and that was intentional for
the tag-team version in Drangleic Castle

Sande

Oh my god, my no death playthrough got smashed in Aldia's Keep by the damn
huge
basilisk. I've never been petrified (not even cursed in DS) before so when the bar filled in half a second when I barely touched the smoke, I was just stunned. Great time to find out about something like that, 90% through the game and most of the tough spots behind. Oh well.

This PvP, man.. I suck at it and the long ass phantom hit box is annoying the shit outta me but I still keep coming back to play it. I think I've played it more than DkS1 PvP already.

To those who accomplished the no death or no bonfire runs..

cL9CNsJ.png

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh my god, my no death playthrough got smashed in Aldia's Keep by the damn basilisk. I've never been petrified (not even cursed in DS) before so when the bar filled in half a second when I barely touched the smoke, I was just stunned. Great time to find out about something like that, 90% through the game and most of the tough spots behind. Oh well.
Why would you engage an optional enemy in a no-death playthrough? :\

Oh my god, my no death playthrough got smashed in Aldia's Keep by the damn
huge
basilisk. I've never been petrified (not even cursed in DS) before so when the bar filled in half a second when I barely touched the smoke, I was just stunned. Great time to find out about something like that, 90% through the game and most of the tough spots behind. Oh well.

That's why bows are so freaking awesome. Take that sucker down from a mile away and never even get close to it.

Finalow

I didn't say _why_ I thought the game is shit. It's shit because the game runs at like 20 fps and the sluggish controls makes pixel perfect dodging retardly hard, and the fact that i-frames on rolls is now heavily stat-based makes it even more stupid.

I'm awaiting the PC-version. Gonna play it (again), and this time go through the entire thing. 60fps@1080p will do a lot for this game.
ya, PS3 frame rate is awful. just wait for the PC version.
dodging isn't hard at all, sluggish controls or not. even with 2 ADP it's not hard. it also depends on timing, and well, that's on you.
stay under 50% and get 20 ADP if you like rolling.

that being said, running at 19 fps doesn't make it a shit game. Miyazaki might not have been there but the game is still great.

Top Bottom