• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Well I decided to jump in for some PvP and it turns out I am terrible at it! Yay!I am kinda liking my faith build at the moment but maybe it needs a bit of tweaking for pvp.

Here is what I am rolling with at the start of NG+:
SL150
VGR - 20
END - 20
VIT - 20
ATN - 22
STR - 30
DEX - 18
ADP - 20
INT - 3
FTH - 51 (+1 From Saint's Hood)

Rings:
Chloranthy
3rd Dragon
Clear Bluestone
Ring of Blades

Weapons:
Defender Greatsword +4 (Lightning Infused) / Dragon Chime +5

Shields:
Watchers Shield / Rebels Greatshield

Miracles:
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Great Heal

Ok Defenders Greatsword might not be rocking it in terms of damage but I am loving the move set it has. It just feels very comfortable to play with. I occasionally swap out for a Lightning Grand Lance.

Any ideas of what to tweak would be great! :D

*FTHfist*

We more or less have the same build; the main differences being that I have STR at 40, ADP at 30 and ATT at 16, so one less slot.

I've been having a lot of success with it. The Defender Greatsword hits pretty damn fast and pretty damn hard. As you probably well know, the 1H Heavy has awesome reach, so use that liberally. What has won me a lot of bouts is baiting with that attack and then following up with another Heavy, which is the super-quick horizontal spin-slash. This combo catches almost everyone off-guard at some point due to the second attack's comparative speed.

As for Lightning Spears, they're pretty easy to dodge, so cast away and hope that lag is on your side :).

Minamu

Are there any shields that block lightning and/or the other elements? As soon as someone use lightning weapons, I'm screwed if I get hit.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Are there any shields that block lightning and/or the other elements? As soon as someone use lightning weapons, I'm screwed if I get hit.
Throne Watcher's
shield can be upgraded to have ~ 90% lightning defense and also has ~80% dark defense. That and it's lightweight, rings like a bell when you are hit with a parry-able attack and looks cool as hell.

If you really wanted to you could also infuse it with a boltstone I guess, which would give you 100% lightning defense to troll Sunbros or something.

I've been looking at getting that fifth soul without going through the tedium of AD and apparently, you should use the ascetic on the first bonfire, not the hidden one.

I was about to do it myself.

Edit: just did it, I can confirm it works on 1.03.

Got the fifth soul, now
Vendrick
keeps killing me. I have the setup and timing pretty much down, but he keeps backing against a wall, preventing me from getting into the safe zone :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If I want to make a 100% mage, do I still go with the level 1 class or what?

I noticed Hex wasn't as useful anymore. Everyone has learned to dodge GSR, or dark infuse their shields. The only time I kill with GSR is when they turn their back to me or get stupid, and 5/10 times it doesn't kill. Grrr.

maomaoIYP

Here is what I am rolling with at the start of NG+:
SL150
VGR - 20
END - 20
VIT - 20
ATN - 22
STR - 30
DEX - 18
ADP - 20
INT - 3
FTH - 51 (+1 From Saint's Hood)

Weapons:
Defender Greatsword +4 (Lightning Infused) / Dragon Chime +5

Are you interested in playing PvE or PvP with this class? Because PvP classes typically can be very different. My suggestions for PvP, seeing as you started as a knight and assuming you stick to defender's greatsword and dragon chime (not counting saint's hood's bonus).
SL150
VGR - 50: this is for tanking hits. You'll always need more health.
END - 20
VIT - 20
ATT - 13: 2 slots is more than enough. Direct damage miracles are poor in PvP because they are too slow and are easily seen. If I were you I'd stick with ATT 4 and dump the points into ADP, and then use the ring that gives slots.
STR - 20: this and the DEX are the bare minimum for defender's greatsword. You don't need more since that weapon scales S with FAI.
DEX - 12
ADP - 15
INT - 3
FTH - 50

maomaoIYP

If I want to make a 100% mage, do I still go with the level 1 class or what?

Start with sorcerer. Especially if this is your first character and you intend to rely solely on casting. There's a very good chance you won't be able to find a staff or the sorcery trainer anywhere near the beginning.

Arjen

I noticed Hex wasn't as useful anymore. Everyone has learned to dodge GSR, or dark infuse their shields. The only time I kill with GSR is when they turn their back to me or get stupid, and 5/10 times it doesn't kill. Grrr.

I still have lots of sucses with GRS, i keep it in my offhand though. Still suprise tons of people with it, just don't start spamming it right away.

Mistel

Banned
People learning how to counter? I for one am so shocked...

Got the fifth soul, now
Vendrick
keeps killing me. I have the setup and timing pretty much down, but he keeps backing against a wall, preventing me from getting into the safe zone :(
I just did it (praise the sun!) and what you describe is pretty much what annoyed me the most. When he'd get against the wall, I backed off so that he would do that one-hit kill lunge attack (which is easily avoided by rolling toward him).
That puts him back in the middle of the room and you can start angling him again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Destroying a chest gets you "rubbish". Why would they let you do this?
You're really gonna try to not enjoy the game aren't you?
The game is shit anyway, no matter which way I will prefer playing.

Mistel

Banned
You can completely block most of vendricks attacks and circle strafe him. You could probably do that with no giant souls at all if you've got enough time.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Destroying a chest gets you "rubbish". Why would they let you do this?

The game is shit anyway, no matter which way I will prefer playing.
Why am I not surprised you did this and are one of the people criticizing the game for it, LOL

Yup it's not you, it's totally just a shit game.

Alim take notes, this is how you do hyperbole.

Leunam

Did you know that destroying eggs in D
ragons
A
erie
causes
a dragon to destroy the bridge at the end
?

Actually I don't know if that's true but I believe it either way.

Yoshichan

Why am I not surprised you did this and are one of the people criticizing the game for it, LOL

Yup it's not you, it's totally just a shit game.

Alim take notes, this is how you do hyperbole.
No, the question was, _why was it even in the game_. Not "why are you hitting chests more than once?". See I like to try everything out, think outside the box and go beyond the boundaries. I spent three hours before even going to the class selection.

So please, keep your classy LOLs inside your pants.

Leunam

Hitting chests over and over is testing boundaries I suppose.

But I wouldn't go so far as calling it thinking outside the box.

Pryor

*FTHfist*

We more or less have the same build; the main differences being that I have STR at 40, ADP at 30 and ATT at 16, so one less slot.

I've been having a lot of success with it. The Defender Greatsword hits pretty damn fast and pretty damn hard. As you probably well know, the 1H Heavy has awesome reach, so use that liberally. What has won me a lot of bouts is baiting with that attack and then following up with another Heavy, which is the super-quick horizontal spin-slash. This combo catches almost everyone off-guard at some point due to the second attack's comparative speed.

As for Lightning Spears, they're pretty easy to dodge, so cast away and hope that lag is on your side :).

FTHfist
I always tend to play as a faith build. Though I still wish a good faith build would give insane passive HP regen like in Demon's!

That is the biggest problem though about going with spears. I would happily take reduced damage for a better cast time!

Are you interested in playing PvE or PvP with this class? Because PvP classes typically can be very different. My suggestions for PvP, seeing as you started as a knight and assuming you stick to defender's greatsword and dragon chime (not counting saint's hood's bonus).
SL150
VGR - 50: this is for tanking hits. You'll always need more health.
END - 20
VIT - 20
ATT - 13: 2 slots is more than enough. Direct damage miracles are poor in PvP because they are too slow and are easily seen. If I were you I'd stick with ATT 4 and dump the points into ADP, and then use the ring that gives slots.
STR - 20: this and the DEX are the bare minimum for defender's greatsword. You don't need more since that weapon scales S with FAI.
DEX - 12
ADP - 15
INT - 3
FTH - 50

I'm kind of blitzing through NG+ at the moment so I don't really see PvE having that much more of a lasting appeal aside from helping others out with coop and going for the plat doesn't really bother me.
I'll give that a try out and see how it goes. There is the obvious problem that spears are insanely easy to dodge. What miracles would be better to roll with?

Yoshichan

Hitting chests over and over is testing boundaries I suppose.

But I wouldn't go so far as calling it thinking outside the box.
Me hitting the treasure box in order to see all the details in the game was just one example. I didn't mean that I was thinking outside the box when I destroyed the chest (and yet another chest in order to confirm that I got rubbish by destroying it).

Mistel

Banned
Stefan™;109206039 said:
I have a
ghost
on my back..
Gower's ring of protection does that. Negates some damage to the back and critical damage from backstabs. Or just wear the ironclad torso and be backstab proof.

Pryor

For PvP?
Just sunlight blade and great magic barrier unfortunately. Defender's greatsword can't use sunlight blade though iirc.

Nope since that sword has it's own self buff from pressing R2. I guess if I am to get that build to work I will have to look for another main weapon.

Man, been tearing up NG++ so far and totally amazed at how the patch makes some boss fights easier. Thought doing the Lucatiel and Benhart achievements in NG++ was going to be impossible, but dear lord, they're literally damage sponges now post-patch. Just have two more fights with Benhart to have both NPCs completed. Never once did any of them come close to dying.

Ironically, the hardest NPC to keep alive for me so far has been that idiot Manscorpion Tark. Guess they didn't buff him or nerd that boss. Made three attempts on that boss last night and two out of the three he was dead within a minute and a half. Lucked out on the third attempt with a great summon who just pummeled her with magic non-stop.

At the point now, too, where I don't even know what to level up anymore. I guess I'll just pump my points into INT and FTH, even though I don't really have any intention of using magic anymore. All my problems can be solved by two-handing my Great Club+10. Strong attack is dealing out 1200+ damage per hit. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
They really wanted people to wear that garish outfit with all the crazy extras it's got.
Classic From troll. "Hey look at all the sweet shit this armor does! You have to look like a joke to take advantage of it though."

Unless I'm farming specifically for drops I usually only wear the gloves when playing since they give the soul bonus, though I'm not sure if they stack with the silver covetous serpent ring or not.

Future

So what's good for a dex build. Still on original new game. Got str up to 20 and dex to 40 and adp at 20. Everything else is below 20 with only 6 points added to int or faith. Upgrading endurance now gives me like one stamina point so it seems worthless. Thinking about upgrading vig for health and vit so I can keep my equip load down below 35%, but not sure if it's worth putting some more points into adp or some of the sorceries

For weapons I have a falchion at +6 and just bought the warped sword ... Which feels weaker at the moment, but it's not upgraded. Read good things about the dragon riders bow, but right now just at a loss for what my next goals should be. Is dual wielding where it's at or should I go all out for one strong dex weapon. Should I embrace bows more? One advantage of dex builds is supposedly poison and bleed, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone bleed yet off of my falchion attacks

Really want to be a quick nimble bastard that can poke quick and gtf out of danger really quick. PVP I've been getting slaughtered

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
No, the question was, _why was it even in the game_. Not "why are you hitting chests more than once?". See I like to try everything out, think outside the box and go beyond the boundaries. I spent three hours before even going to the class selection.

So please, keep your classy LOLs inside your pants.
Why? Because it's From changing the formula up in classic tradition to fuck with players for trying to be too overzealous in their paranoia of mimics. That's why. Looks like you fell for it and lost out on some treasure. Now you know better. If it helps, they make chests with important loot metal so you can't break them.

And the classy LOLs were for your obvious hyperbolic frustration with the game, possibly already wanting to jump on a mage class to rush through since "the game is shit anyway". Nothing personal, do what you want man, just saying it's kinda funny and you do rage a lot better than Alim.

Mistel

Banned
Classic From troll. "Hey look at all the sweet shit this armor does! You have to look like a joke to take advantage of it though."

Unless I'm farming specifically for drops I usually only wear the gloves when playing since they give the soul bonus, though I'm not sure if they stack with the silver covetous serpent ring or not.
I think it does. You could of given my stripper armor some bonuses sigh.

I prefer Dark Souls 2 movement speed tbh. Playing Dark Souls and I realize I hate the roll speed. It's too weird. The controls in Dark souls 2 felt refined.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think it does. You could of given my stripper armor some bonuses sigh.
Awesome. And what's this about stripper armor? I use the silver ring and jester's gloves for general play since it means a lot more souls than usual. Never use the robes but I've seen some PVP builds incorporate it.

Man, been tearing up NG++ so far and totally amazed at how the patch makes some boss fights easier. Thought doing the Lucatiel and Benhart achievements in NG++ was going to be impossible, but dear lord, they're literally damage sponges now post-patch. Just have two more fights with Benhart to have both NPCs completed. Never once did any of them come close to dying.

Ironically, the hardest NPC to keep alive for me so far has been that idiot Manscorpion Tark. Guess they didn't buff him or nerd that boss. Made three attempts on that boss last night and two out of the three he was dead within a minute and a half. Lucked out on the third attempt with a great summon who just pummeled her with magic non-stop.

At the point now, too, where I don't even know what to level up anymore. I guess I'll just pump my points into INT and FTH, even though I don't really have any intention of using magic anymore. All my problems can be solved by two-handing my Great Club+10. Strong attack is dealing out 1200+ damage per hit. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Just for reference, IIRC, you don't actually need to do the boss battle with
Manscorpian Tark
to get the reward. I didn't have the
ring of whispers
before I beat the boss of the area and just talked to him afterwards and he still thanked me and gave me the ring. Unless there's an additional reward for having him participate?

I've finally started playing NG+ and am going at a brisk pace.

I hadn't even realized the dude I had sunlight speared to hell on that platform was the pursuer, so I was a bit surprised to find the boss room empty lol.
I guess I thought he was a pursuer.

I've reached Sinner's Rise on one side and No Man's Wharf on the other and TBH, the most overwhelming moment so far was at the very start with the falconers and creepers onslaught. Smooth sailing otherwise.

maomaoIYP

Nope since that sword has it's own self buff from pressing R2. I guess if I am to get that build to work I will have to look for another main weapon.

Nah you don't have to. Defender's greatsword is a pretty good weapon. It's pretty fast and has reach.Try to always keep it buffed. Practice with this first, then move on to other weapons.

Awesome. And what's this about stripper armor? I use the silver ring and jester's gloves for general play since it means a lot more souls than usual. Never use the robes but I've seen some PVP builds incorporate it.

Just for reference, IIRC, you don't actually need to do the boss battle with
Manscorpian Tark
to get the reward. I didn't have the
ring of whispers
before I beat the boss of the area and just talked to him afterwards and he still thanked me and gave me the ring. Unless there's an additional reward for having him participate?

Needed the gesture he teaches you :)

Minamu

Throne Watcher's
shield can be upgraded to have ~ 90% lightning defense and also has ~80% dark defense. That and it's lightweight, rings like a bell when you are hit with a parry-able attack and looks cool as hell.

If you really wanted to you could also infuse it with a boltstone I guess, which would give you 100% lightning defense to troll Sunbros or something.
Cool. And with a boltstone, regular blocking would drop a tad I assume? But that wouldn't matter at all when magic is being used, right? I'll have to check if I have this shield or not.

Mistel

Banned
Get the tsledora set for more souls. Stripper armor is just my name for the desert sorceress gloves and bra. I need to find so boots that look nice with it maybe the judgement tights.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Whatcha want?

Also CRAP. Didn't realize he would still teach the gesture, even if he didn't get summoned for the fight. :( Oh well, tasks at least still completed.

Oooo any Katanas at all really. I'm looking to be able to dual wield them all! Manslayer, Berserker, Uchi, Darkdrift or Washing Pole... Chaos Blade if you're feeling very generous :D

Top Bottom