• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Finalow

yeah that site was already posted some time ago, quite cool. Stray Hound is still the king.

1.04 nerf Stray Hounds pls From. also gravity OP, 37015223 deaths.

Sande

Why would you engage an optional enemy in a no-death playthrough? :\
I panicked in the long hallway when I had two ogres and an omg-what-the-hell-is-that-thing coming at me and boned out.
then I found out that they can't even access the first room because of the small doorway
So then I had to get past the basilisk, but the door behind him was shut. I thought there's no way I'm getting that door open with that thing alive.

That's why bows are so freaking awesome. Take that sucker down from a mile away and never even get close to it.
I actually poisoned it twice, but after a full minute it was still at half health. So I thought to myself "F*** this noise and yolo" and you know the rest.

Well, NG+ is going smoothly so far. To the point that after getting 2 old souls, I realized I had missed the ladder dude and a fragrant branch lol, had to backtrack a bit.

I hadn't realized how many areas were optional on my first playthrough.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
that being said, running at 19 fps doesn't make it a shit game. Miyazaki might not have been there but the game is still great.
Wrong. It does make the game shit. Come on, since when is 19 fps acceptable? If this game wasn't a "Souls", I wouldn't have given it another purchase on PC.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The souls games have had frame rate issues since day 1 and I don't consider any of the installments as "shit games". I'm sure From appreciates your custom either way, as it will likely be used to make more "shit games" for the rest of us to enjoy in the future!

That being said, the PC version will obviously be superior. According to Durante the base game is a much better port than Dark Souls, but I'm still hoping there are additional tweaks provided by mods shortly after launch time. Because Dark Souls deserves to be gorgeous and run in a smooth 60fps.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The souls games have had frame rate issues since day 1 and I don't consider any of the installments as "shit games".
Demon's Souls was absolutely solid if you don't count parts of 5-x and 2-x. The controls however responds immediately as you turn your character and press a button.

Move around in a circle quickly in DS.
Now do it in DkS2.

Yeah.

Finalow

Wrong. It does make the game shit. Come on, since when is 19 fps acceptable? If this game wasn't a "Souls", I wouldn't have given it another purchase on PC.
uhm, what? Having a shitty frame rate =/= being a shitty game. unless the only thing you consider in a game is fps? Lol. even if that was the case it's not even fair to call it "shit game", should be more like "runs like shit".
and to be honest, it's not like it's unplayable on ps3.

koryuken

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to beat the damn dual Pursuers? I'm getting my ass destroyed by them.

I beat them on the first try. I used a Hexer with 18 casts of GRS and Fast Casting Ring +2. Roll, roll, roll and don't take risks. Try to make them "huddle up" by choosing your roll direction strategically.

It's a ring. Gower's Ring of Protection. Found in Shaded Woods foggy area NG+.

Hmm, never found it. Oh well one more thing I have to deal with in PvP. >:[

Starting to get the hang of parries, although it does get me killed sometimes. Having trouble parrying the slower weapons though. Also, that phantom range on the long sword is ridiculous.

ijed

Does cast speed affect miracles at all or just magic/hexes?

Just got CBR+2 which raised my casting speed from 100 to 222 but none of the miracles I tried (Force, GLS, Sunlight Blade, GMB) seem to cast any faster...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/enemy/index.html

Get a load of these numbers. So low for Darklurker and Ancient Dragon lol.
What are those numbers? The number of times the enemy killed players, or the number of times players killed this enemy?

I panicked in the long hallway when I had two ogres and an omg-what-the-hell-is-that-thing coming at me and boned out.
then I found out that they can't even access the first room because of the small doorway
So then I had to get past the basilisk, but the door behind him was shut. I thought there's no way I'm getting that door open with that thing alive.

I actually poisoned it twice, but after a full minute it was still at half health. So I thought to myself "F*** this noise and yolo" and you know the rest.
I go through that hall without killing any enemy except the
last ogre that crashes through the wall. Get the Aldia key from the acid pool, then ignore the hallway and go through that adjacent room. The ogre facing the hallway will ignore you if you're remotely stealthy. When the ogre crashes through, retreat into that adjacent room by luring it in front of that opening, then snipe it from there.

Mistel

Banned
Considering the fact that they all pretty much died and all. The royal swordsman and soldiers set look nice with the legs and gauntlets of the first match nicely with the helmet and torso of the second.

Fashion souls succeeds yet again.

Vanquisher's Seal GET! \o/

img_005116owm.jpg

I watched vageta311's how to get the Vanquisher's Seal in NG video and wanted to give it a go, took a few hours but I was grinding a bit for souls and co-op too and I did some stuff that wasn't really necessary (FOFG bosses, going to the Rotten for an item for example). I wanted to get the ring as early as possible and as low level as possible, but I followed the video and ended up about SL55, which as it turned out was unnecessary for what I wanted, I could've done it at base level as the only spell I used, Force, is 12 faith and I started as a Cleric.

Actually had a lot of fun doing this, so I will be giving it another try this weekend on a fresh character for true low level pugilist! Come at me bell(end) bros! :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Considering the fact that they all pretty much died and all. The royal swordsman and soldiers set look nice with the legs and gauntlets of the first match nicely with the helmet and torso of the second.

Fashion souls succeeds yet again.

I LOVE the Royal Swordsman chest piece. Looks slender yet practical for defense, and very sexy. My str wore it for the longest time until I got Creighton's chain mail. I eventually settled for Alva's armour but all three are awesome.

I hate the royal soldier torso piece though. Looks like some garish heart thing. Ew.

maomaoIYP

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/enemy/index.html

Get a load of these numbers. So low for Darklurker and Ancient Dragon lol.
The equipment page is equally interesting, especially since From put such ridiculously good armor so early into the game.

Does cast speed affect miracles at all or just magic/hexes?

Just got CBR+2 which raised my casting speed from 100 to 222 but none of the miracles I tried (Force, GLS, Sunlight Blade, GMB) seem to cast any faster...
I'm pretty sure it does, but if I'm not wrong it acts more like a speed modifier. Each chime/staff have their own inherent speed, as does each miracle/sorcery/hex/pyro. You own cast time affects the final cast time only very minimally.

In other words if your spell has inherently long cast time tweaking your cast speed isn't going to make a huge difference.

Mentok

Banned
Holy souls farming in
iron keep
! I'm in NG++ just helping people out, didn't realize how many souls I got! Also as a hexer the
smelter demon
was a joke. My next playthrough is going to be pure melee for a challenge.

Jaeger

Random thoughts;

-It would be cool if Homeward Bones/Aged Feather Warped you to the last bonfire, without loading screens (maybe next-next gen?).

-I've been avoiding trying out twinblades, but the Red Iron Twinblade is pretty rad! I +10 it, and imbued with Fire (trying out a Pyromancy).

-I've mentioned it before, but a Boss Rush (no traditional bonus', but maybe like special weapons at the end ala Castlevania Aria/Dawn of Sorrow Boss Rush modes).

- More unique animations for weapons would be cool. They don't even have to wait until the next game for it. I'll download a huge patch for changes like that.

- DLC (I'm sure it's coming).

- More Armor Sets. One of the best parts of Souls for me is Fashion Souls. This is how I feel when I get that setup I like most;

Welcome to the Club aka school of Hokuto Shinken!

maomaoIYP

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/inventory/index.html

This does not surprise me in the least - the 3 columns literally look like 90% of the other players you see. Wouldn't be surprised if Explorer hat was 4th helm.

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/multiplayer/index.html
This page is great too. A large majority of PvP action happens in the iron keep, which is unsurprising. What is surprising is that for all that action in the iron keep the dragon remnants is one of the least popular covenants. They've left out the covenant duelling areas though, I wonder what are the numbers for that.

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/inventory/index.html

This does not surprise me in the least - the 3 columns literally look like 90% of the other players you see. Wouldn't be surprised if Explorer hat was 4th helm.

You know looking through this, especially the weapons, makes me wonder why they bother putting in such a variety of equipment in if a majority of that equipment isn't even worth using. I mean, I'm not complaining about the variety, I just wish they'd give you more of a reason to use some of these things other than appearance alone. Like, I don't think I've ever seen someone using something like the Wooden Shield before.

Biff

Ok I can't hold it in anymore... I'll just forget if I wait until post #20,000:

Dark Souls II |OT+++| destroy but hole

This looks garish?
mrfahr8.png

It look as it suits the overall aesthetics of the set itself. With some careful wardrobe choices you've got a wide variety of outfits you can use that torso armor with.

It looks like a seashell to me. D'aw.

My main issues with that set are that its proportions look somewhat off as you move about - as if the back of the torso comes down too far and makes the skirt look as if it's around your thighs - and that the orange shoulder piece can, at a glance, look like a futuristic military shoulder piece.

I can't go past Creighton's set or the Alva set (excluding the respective helms) in terms of pure aesthetic awesomeness.

Hi-fives all around for Fashion Souls/form over function. Definitely one of the greatest things about the series.

Jaeger

My Raw Red Iron Twinblade just isn't hitting hard enough. My STR is maybe mid 50's, last I checked. Maybe I'm just not using it properly, or the people I went up against tonight had really good DEF. There was a few times where it hit really hard, though.

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/multiplayer/index.html
This page is great too. A large majority of PvP action happens in the iron keep, which is unsurprising. What is surprising is that for all that action in the iron keep the dragon remnants is one of the least popular covenants. They've left out the covenant duelling areas though, I wonder what are the numbers for that.

Yeah, that data would be nice to have. As it stands it makes it look like PvP is dwarfed by CO-OP.

yeah that site was already posted some time ago, quite cool. Stray Hound is still the king.

1.04 nerf Stray Hounds pls From. also gravity OP, 37015223 deaths.

What enemy is the Stray Hound? Is it the hulking dog creature in the Gutter?

My Raw Red Iron Twinblade just isn't hitting hard enough. My STR is maybe mid 50's, last I checked. Maybe I'm just not using it properly, or the people I went up against tonight had really good DEF. There was a few times where it hit really hard, though.

Why Raw? Doesn't that drop the scaling?

Haha I poked fun last time but these are genuinely entertaining. Thanks for posting.

Thanks man. The feedback I got from this one was pretty positive. Looking back on it, I think I cut it a bit too fast which makes the transitions a little grating. Some gems in there tho. The lizard into pit ones were heartbreaking.

Looks like there are going to be like 4 more episodes 0_o. As always, feedback is appreciated.

Varaladis

I was under the impression it strengthened the weapon (it looked to buff the stats, a bit). Should I un-raw it?

It makes it stronger but reduces or removes the scaling. It can be better depending on your build since scaling was nerfed a bit in this game. Do some tests on hollows to see which hits harder for you I would suggest

Badgerst3

Dragon Remnants covenant here.

Getting mopped up by Mage builds here.

Any tips for a dex melee build? I have the claymore +10, Alva Armor and poison mist.

Tried dual wield, etc, and have the Rebel Greatshiield but still get crushed by x4 homing souls arrows or lightning.

Frustrating, yet addicting.

I was under the impression it strengthened the weapon (it looked to buff the stats, a bit). Should I un-raw it?

It depends on the weapon. Raw improves base damage by 14.4% but at the cost of scaling. Usually down 1 or 2 letters.

If the weapon already has low or no scaling, Raw is a straight upgrade. The only other situation it may work out is if you were planning on only putting minimum stats into using it.

Jaeger

It makes it stronger but reduces or removes the scaling. It can be better depending on your build since scaling was nerfed a bit in this game. Do some tests on hollows to see which hits harder for you I would suggest

It depends on the weapon. Raw improves base damage by 14.4% but at the cost of scaling. Usually down 1 or 2 letters.

If the weapon already has low or no scaling, Raw is a straight upgrade. The only other situation it may work out is if you were planning on only putting minimum stats into using it.

Aww, gotcha. Learning something new about this game, every day. With that said, just discovered Santier's Spear (heard it mentioned, seen it in PVP, but never read up on it until now). When I get home, I'll be sure to grab it.

Any advice for Santier's Spear use?

Okay I think I just lost 1.2 million souls. I lose to an invader then at the bondfire I retrieve my souls and nothing... I'm positive I had them when I was invaded. Either it's a glitch or I'm going crazy. ;_;

Just got my 1k! Man, feels good. Left my Sunbro covenant stuff last and just farmed out 8 summons at The Rotten. Finally, I can take a break from this game!

maomaoIYP

Dragon Remnants covenant here.

Getting mopped up by Mage builds here.

Any tips for a dex melee build? I have the claymore +10, Alva Armor and poison mist.

Tried dual wield, etc, and have the Rebel Greatshiield but still get crushed by x4 homing souls arrows or lightning.

Frustrating, yet addicting.

How I fight mages with a melee character
- Spells which are commonly seen in PvP: soul spear, great resonant soul, dark hail, homing soul mass, affinity, lightning spear, emit force, forbidden sun, firestorm, flame swathe.

- Place yourself at a distance so that a roll attack will connect with the caster. When direct fire spells are casted, time your roll that you roll (towards the direction it came from) through the spell and swing at the caster to hit them during their recovery animation. This technique is useful versus soul spear, GRS, dark hail, lightning spear, emit force and forbidden sun. For soul spear and GRS you'll have to guess if this is what the player is casting because most sorceries and hexes have the same startup animation.

- For homing soul mass and affinity the orbs have a certain time after casting before they will be launched. You can attack immediately after casting if you are within range, but if they are ready for launch you'll have to bait them to fire then roll sideways or towards the orbs.

- Firestorm has a very long startup time, and when being casted they tend to walk towards you. Hit them before the spell is casted or if you're far enough just run away and use your favorite ranged option.

- Flame swathe can be easily walked or rolled away from.

- Other spells which may be seen every now and then: soul geyser, soul vortex, soul greatsword, wrath of the gods, combustion.

- Soul geyser has very poor tracking so just roll sideways. Soul vortex does poor damage and is rather slow so just back away and prepare to roll to avoid follow ups. Soul greatsword has a very fast cast time and most casters will only cast this up close, dodging this might be tricky. Wrath of gods has a rather obvious startup, so move away and used your ranged option. Combustion are considerably slow and has poor range.

- Ranged options: I always have a bow or crossbow, I like Avelyn. it's always useful even when not fighting mages. Shoot when mages are casting spells with long cast times, or if you're too far away to approach. Some other bows may be useful as well, your mileage may vary.

- A typical fight begins with you not attacking. Wait for the caster to cast, then roll in to lessen the distance. Once you're up close the close range spells will appear. Vary roll timings accordingly and them strike from up close. If they turn their backs to run away to widen the distance, take out bow and shoot them in the back. Note that this strategy is exactly the same for fighting power stanced avelyn users, except that avelyn users are even easier to kill due to their extremely long reloading time.

- Some people have reported good strategies with an infused rebel greatshield, I'm not a fan of blocking spells, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work together with this roll in strategy.

- If you're a FAI character go for great magic barrier. Works great even versus infused or buffed characters.

Conversely:
How I fight melee players with a mage
This strategy applies for sorcery and hexes or pyro combination variants. Pure miracles is a poor (laughable) choice for PvP. I'm not that sure about pure pyro but I have not looked into it. In general for casters, enemies who have a shield will still have to swing their weapon sometime if they want to beat you, so bait them into swinging, then catch with soul spear/ GRS/ forbidden sun, or guard break if you're close enough.
Things I like to have:
Blue clearstone ring +2 (easy to get with an asectic)
Southern band + 2 (easy to get with an asectic)
Dagger (for guard break criticals)

Sorcery

Spells: Homing soul mass (use crystal if you have it), soul spear (use crystal if you have it), soul greatsword, soul vortex, soul geyser. Get as many soul spears as you can.
Might be useful sometimes: Homing soul arrow (the orb is slow and tends to catch people used to rolling through a fast cast)
Cast homing soul mass to minimize getting rushed down. Cast soul vortex to stunlock or force a roll or use as a smoke screen. Cast soul spear or soul geyser when soul vortex is still spinning. Mix up soul spears and soul greatsword casts up close to catch them during a roll.

Hexes
Spells: GRS, dark hail, affinity
The whole point of hexes is trying to connect with GRS, which is usually a OHKO. Affinity catches people off guard due to the speed of the orbs, it also stops them from running for a while, so try to bait them into rolling or getting hit by it, then cast GRS. Dark hail is an excellent close ranged spell but the cast time is longer so use sparingly. A pyro/hex combination is great. Use flame swathe to force a roll, catch with GRS. You can also mix up flame swathe (which is slow) with forbidden sun (which is ridiculously fast).

Pyro combination casters can also use the toxic/acid mist spells as smoke screens to force rolls or hide your subsequent casts.

Disclaimer: before you tell me how all casters/melee characters are shit/OP, I have characters of both types and I can beat players of each type just about evenly so the only thing that makes a difference is the player's skill, not the skillset of your character.

2AdEPT

I watched vageta311's how to get the Vanquisher's Seal in NG video and wanted to give it a go, took a few hours but I was grinding a bit for souls and co-op too and I did some stuff that wasn't really necessary (FOFG bosses, going to the Rotten for an item for example). I wanted to get the ring as early as possible and as low level as possible, but I followed the video and ended up about SL55, which as it turned out was unnecessary for what I wanted, I could've done it at base level as the only spell I used, Force, is 12 faith and I started as a Cleric.

Actually had a lot of fun doing this, so I will be giving it another try this weekend on a fresh character for true low level pugilist! Come at me bell(end) bros! :)
I snuck a peek at vag's vid a few weeks ago and this is the first thing i will do on PC verison...I also thought it was unnecessary to kill any bosses (just do co-op for leveling) but how do you kill Rhoy with just force? vag was adamant that it was tough to kill Rhoy, especially when on the 2nd and third ascetic?

btw how do I get the frick out of the nashandra area at the end? do i really have to endure all the credits before taking on darklurker and finsihing my playthorugh?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This looks garish?
mrfahr8.png

It look as it suits the overall aesthetics of the set itself. With some careful wardrobe choices you've got a wide variety of outfits you can use that torso armor with.
Yes it does. Looks like some sort of... I don't know, a seashell? It's ugly as sin.

I snuck a peek at vag's vid a few weeks ago and this is the first thing i will do on PC verison...I also thought it was unnecessary to kill any bosses (just do co-op for leveling) but how do you kill Rhoy with just force? vag was adamant that it was tough to kill Rhoy, especially when on the 2nd and third ascetic?
You can knock Rhoy off the bridge. Personally I just spammed Sunlight Spears at him, even at intensity 4 he died in 3 hits. Of course I was a faith build hah. Who has little use for the Vanquisher Seal. But, I hear you can drop it, so I'll transfer it to my str build with a friend's help. :D

Soulhouf

What's everyone's favorite Rings, Armor, and Weapons?

The fact that the developers separated equip load and stamina in 2 different stats made me lose all interest in wasting points in equip load and thus not wear medium/heavy armor.
I found myself doing 90% of the game almost naked. I even got once a message from a player who told me to put some clothes lol.

As for the rings I usually use the classic Dragon ring, the one that boosts HP and Ring of Blades for PvE.
I remove the Dragon Ring in PvP because it breaks so easily making it completely useless.

Top Bottom