• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

impact

Banned
Been away from the game for a while so I haven't kept up with it, but did the community ever come up with a new soft cap for online? 120 is clearly not viable anymore so I went to 175 on my main but I don't wanna over level on the definitive edition.

Arjen

Been away from the game for a while so I haven't kept up with it, but did the community ever come up with a new soft cap for online? 120 is clearly not viable anymore so I went to 175 on my main but I don't wanna over level on the definitive edition.

Soul memory makes level cap pretty useless, I'm 210 now and get shitton of pvp action

I snuck a peek at vag's vid a few weeks ago and this is the first thing i will do on PC verison...I also thought it was unnecessary to kill any bosses (just do co-op for leveling) but how do you kill Rhoy with just force? vag was adamant that it was tough to kill Rhoy, especially when on the 2nd and third ascetic?
You have to kill only the bosses that 'block' your way to the ascetics. I did Pursuer purely for the ring of blades.
I detoured slightly. found a thread on reddit saying to use a lockstone on the top bridge so you can 'force' him off the edge. Not the method to use if you want to farm his drops, I only wanted the awestones so this was quickest for me. The first time I faced him (in regular NG) I killed him, but he hits hard and I died trying once, so I knew it wasn't going to be a cakewalk in NG+ onwards. He one shot me countless from NG+ onwards so you have to "get gud" with timing your blasts after he whiffs a hit.

The rats AI will not aggro them on the bridge, there are only two near the bridge, and sometimes they would walk on to it, but never more than a 3rd of the way across and then back off - kind of like the sickle guys in Harvest Valley ambush when they enter the tunnel leading to the Crystal Lizard and back off even as you attack.

When I try again on a new character, I'm cutting out a lot of stuff to make it quicker and staying at base level for Cleric. I'll probably post a list of the route I took as I made a pen'n'paper list as I did the run.

btw how do I get the frick out of the nashandra area at the end? do i really have to endure all the credits before taking on darklurker and finsihing my playthorugh?
Yes :|
I think it's especially nuts you can't skip the credits on NG+ onwards, the first time sure - a lot of hard work went into it, but guys please!

btw, I'm addicted to HeartCookBrain's LP, love her sense of humour - just a lot of fun to watch when winding down :)

Frodo

Do we know what makes your character regain humanity during co-op?

I suspect it might be the amount of damage you inflict. Co-op at
Drangleic Castle
I always do absurd amount of damage to
any of the bosses there
, and it only takes one co-op section for me to regain my humanity. So it might not be a glitch after all, as I suspect it would be patched by now if it were.

I suspect it might be the amount of damage you inflict. Co-op at
Drangleic Castle
I always do absurd amount of damage to
any of the bosses there
, and it only takes one co-op section for me to regain my humanity. So it might not be a glitch after all, as I suspect it would be patched by now if it were.

Killing the boss usually does the trick for me - not sure if you can regain it other than that.

Man,
Smelter
(midgame boss spoiler) was a tough one to beat. I tried it 10-20 times, alternating between trying to beat him as a phantom and trying it with help of others. Only after a while I managed to summon a mage-like character would took care of him with magic while I dodged and healed, occasionally chipping at him with my lousy Heide Sword +6. Is there a melee weapon that is actually more effective?

Afterwards, I crushed the rest of the level and the end-of-level boss of
Iron Keep
on my first try. That was so easy relatively speaking- within 5-10 minutes of finally beating the previous one. Sure, that other mage helped, but I did a great job staying alive and running around cluelessly.

Stefan™;109316356 said:
You can press the start button to skip the credits IIRC.
wat. :(

I'm sure I pressed every single button on my controller, starting with start!

I assumed you grew one step closer to human for each boss kill. Like if you were hollow but were only one death away from being human, you'd be lovely and pink again. But if you were a zombie with a comb-over it might take you a few co-op victories to get there.

Mistel

Banned
Yes it does. Looks like some sort of... I don't know, a seashell? It's ugly as sin.
The whole set or just the seashell torso? At least it's very form fitting the waist from the back looks even slimmer.
It looks like a seashell to me. D'aw.

My main issues with that set are that its proportions look somewhat off as you move about - as if the back of the torso comes down too far and makes the skirt look as if it's around your thighs - and that the orange shoulder piece can, at a glance, look like a futuristic military shoulder piece.
I wonder if that's due to the different player models? On my character it's fine on her, as the leggings from the royal swordsman set make a world of difference.

As for the back maybe it's a very feminine piece of armor? Looks like it with the way it tapers like a bodice.

Sande

I go through that hall without killing any enemy except the
last ogre that crashes through the wall. Get the Aldia key from the acid pool, then ignore the hallway and go through that adjacent room. The ogre facing the hallway will ignore you if you're remotely stealthy. When the ogre crashes through, retreat into that adjacent room by luring it in front of that opening, then snipe it from there.
Yeah, it's not really even a difficult spot with ranged attacks. I just happened to make the wrong choice at every turn. Well, if you die to some stupid mistake on a no-death run you'll probably never make the same mistake again.

Soulhouf

What kind of attack is WotG?
I assumed it would be magic so tried with magic infused Rebel's Greatshield (100% magic block) and still took damage.
Tried Lightning, Dark, Fire and nothing works. The shield will always block something around 70% of the damage.
Is this a bug?

Leezard

What kind of attack is WotG?
I assumed it would be magic so tried with magic infused Rebel's Greatshield (100% magic block) and still took damage.
Tried Lightning, Dark, Fire and nothing works. The shield will always block something around 70% of the damage.
Is this a bug?

It should be either Lightning or Physical, I think. Perhaps a mix?

Soulhouf

It should be either Lightning or Physical, I think. Perhaps a mix?

That's interesting if it's a mix indeed. Magic and Lightning maybe?
This requires more testing. I've been doing it against that NPC you invade but now I killed her in this run...

I forgot Majula's bonfire was at +8 and I was in the covenant of Champions when I faced her. She was brutal.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Thanks man. The feedback I got from this one was pretty positive. Looking back on it, I think I cut it a bit too fast which makes the transitions a little grating. Some gems in there tho. The lizard into pit ones were heartbreaking.

Looks like there are going to be like 4 more episodes 0_o. As always, feedback is appreciated.
Omg yeah the lizard pit one was pretty damn sad. You didn't even say anything on the last one when you finally killed it and it fell down with you into the sandpit. Just hung your head in shame. lmao

Watching your plays I guess I'm just not that into tank builds because I constantly think

"Why does this guy hate the circle button so much tho?"

Jaeger

Very proud of myself this morning.

Farmed;

2 mil+ Souls
Finally got a full Heide Knight Set (couldn't ever get the Chainmail)
Got Santier's Spear, and broke it good.
+5 w/ Mundane via McDuff

Now let's see how I do in PVP...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my 1k! Man, feels good. Left my Sunbro covenant stuff last and just farmed out 8 summons at The Rotten.

Congratulations!

Finally, I can take a break from this game!

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif
NOOOOOOOOO!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Farm it yourself you big baby.

I still only have the helm and gloves. Fucking RNG. =,(

Nah, I got all the Mad Warrior shit. Only took me FIVE FREAKIN' DAYS. I died just as he dropped the Chest Piece (the main thing I wanted aside from the katana and helmet), so I made the executive decision to trade the Berserker Blade to get it (Miss Trooper offered to sort me out her Berserker Blade down the road).

Nope, this fine fellow and the lovely Miss Trooper are very kindly sorting me out with an array of katanas so I can have matching pairs with all kinds of whacky infusions; one for every situation! >:D

Deitus

I want Siegmeyers armor. I want it, I WANT!

I hope you have lots of bonfire ascetics. The whole set drops from a black phantom that only shows up in ng+, and only spawns one per play through. It has a rare chance to drop one piece at a time. I've heard of people using 25+ ascetics on the one bonfire to get the full set.

They did some seriously dumb things with item drops in this game.

btw, I'm addicted to HeartCookBrain's LP, love her sense of humour - just a lot of fun to watch when winding down :)

Yup been watching her every night before bed. :)

Her brightness is way too fucking high though, especially apparent in her latest vid (Gutter). That place is supposed to be black as shit and should require a torch. I want to tell her but whatever.

^ Maybe it's high for recording purposes? I've seen other streamers say that before.

I want Siegmeyers armor. I want it, I WANT!
I got the headpiece on NG++ but nothing on NG+. I wasn't going to ascetic for the rest, fuck that.

I agree with Thanasis Deitus above, these type of drops I'm not a fan of. It's bad enough to have to ascetic or go through NG++++ to get all 4 pieces, but for them NOT to be guaranteed drops is BS.

Deitus

Hey, if it's not required for trophies then why not have some things absurdly difficult to get? It makes them feel truly rare.

Because it's dumb, and stupidly grindy. It's not a challenge, just a timesink. You have to grind ascetic, just to get the opportunity to grind a rare drop. And this isn't like this is the only set like this in the game.

Compare this to grind heavy drops in DS1, where there is at least a chance to get them through regular play.

Edit: This isn't supposed to be a Diablo clone or MMO where grinding is treated as a substitute for content.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I agree with 140 though, they aren't required for trophies and aren't particularly great stats wise. I'm fine having them be a rare drop for people who are lucky or dedicated to the grind.

GulAtiCa

Yep, like others said, my main is level 345 now, and plenty of PvP action, both duels, invasions, as well as co-op. So limiting your level is rather pointless now. Only reason to stop leveling up is when you have nothing to really put points in.

Also, I decided to start Dark Souls 1 yesterday. My experience from DK2 is helping me a bit, and progressing a little bit. Though I really dislike the dodging mechanic in the 1st game. Specifically how it is very strict on where it dodges. I'll try to dodge away from a locked on enemy and it ends up dodging into the enemy or to the side. Rather annoying..

krakov

People stop leveling at some point not only to stay in range of others. The main idea of having a meta (as I see it) is to allow for the concept of builds.

Mistel

Banned
People stop leveling at some point not only to stay in range of others. The main idea of having a meta (as I see it) is to allow for the concept of builds.
Well it's not based on levels anymore so level meta is kinda borked as you could meet people easily twice your level with the same memory so to speak.

AngryMoth

Went and took my int and faith down to 22. Sad to say goodbye to affinity but it's nice be able to use more weapons one handed and gives me a chance to see if I think adaptability is worth a damn.

Mistel

Banned
Nope, this fine fellow and the lovely Miss Trooper are very kindly sorting me out with an array of katanas so I can have matching pairs with all kinds of whacky infusions; one for every situation! >:D
I've got all of them now other than the chaos blade. You'll have more than enough.

Top Bottom