• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Omg yeah the lizard pit one was pretty damn sad. You didn't even say anything on the last one when you finally killed it and it fell down with you into the sandpit. Just hung your head in shame. lmao

Watching your plays I guess I'm just not that into tank builds because I constantly think

"Why does this guy hate the circle button so much tho?"

I was scared to dodge in the first half of the playthrough because it felt like no matter what, I would always get clobbered. Totally my lack of skill to blame. I did get much much better during the latter half.

Haha just checked both episodes. Pretty funny. :) Thanks for sharing. I like how you swear a lot but in a surprisingly rather non-obnoxious manner. I legit lol'ed when you fell in the water at Heide's.
Thanks! I didn't know that I would be cutting together all of my deaths until after I finished my playthrough. So what everyone is seeing is pure boiled down, condensed dissapointment. And with that comes the cursing. Believe me there were PLENTY of awesome triumphant moments as well (Killing
King Vendrick, the Gargoyles and Ancient Dragon
). But in this videoseries you will only see the sadness.

krakov

Well it's not based on levels anymore so level meta is kinda borked as you could meet people easily twice your level with the same memory so to speak.

Well yeah, that is completely besides the point I made.

In Dark Souls you would always invade people close to or higher than your level unless you were a dorkmoon, in which case you could invade people below your level as well. The difference here isn't as extreme as most people make it out to be.

Jaeger

JUST BEAT ANCIENT DRAGON.

2dUKbA7d.gif

7GiNHvfO.gif

AngryMoth

So where's everyones favourite place to invade? I've been having a lot of fun in the Undead Crypt since people usually don't have phantoms and I love being a bastard and ringing the bells.

Pancho

Qurupancho
153 deaths later and I have finally beaten Dark Souls 2! Fantastic overall experience.

I might be in the minority here, but I liked this one much more than Dark Souls 1. After Sen Fortress, Dark Souls 1 feels unfinished. I had to kind of force myself to finish that game, I didn't have that problem with this one.

I liked how big the world is, even though its barely interconnected it didn't bother me much. And the slight tweaks they made in the game play to make it a bit more accessible. Gives me an excuse to try and convince some friends to play the game.

However, it still doesn't beat Demon's Souls. It was a close contest for me, but Demon's Souls is still king. What hurts DS2 the most is the bland bosses. Sure there's a metric SHITON of bosses in DS2, but most of them are very forgettable. I finished the game a few hours ago and there are bosses I already forgotten. If the bosses were fewer but more varied, this game would probably had dethroned Demon's Souls. But that's just my opinion.

Mistel

Banned
Well yeah, that is completely besides the point I made.

In Dark Souls you would always invade people close to or higher than your level unless you were a dorkmoon, in which case you could invade people below your level as well. The difference here isn't as extreme as most people make it out to be.
It is not at all. Level has no relevance to soul memory what so ever so in some cases it can be very extreme.

Jaeger

So where's everyones favourite place to invade? I've been having a lot of fun in the Undead Crypt since people usually don't have phantoms and I love being a bastard and ringing the bells.

Dragon Shrine. No one shall see the all powerful Ancient Dragon, until they go through me!

krakov

It is not at all. Level has no relevance to soul memory what so ever so in some cases it can be very extreme.

The difference can be 700+ levels in DS1, where is the big difference? There will be a community cap sooner or later and it has nothing to do with soul memory or how it works. It's an agreement you partake in to have some semblance of balanced matchups.

Tenrius

Royal Rat Authority is pretty easy. The hardest part is to get the hang of dodging the smaller rats when they first jump at you, so you can kill the quickly. Afterwards it all depends on whether you have a shield with 100% physical reduction. Easier than Manus.

people are shy, man.

nah, seriously, it works better without it.

Both times I played with someone who had a mic it worked out pretty well. One guy asked me to summon him again (because I wanted to go to Belfry Luna) and apologized for being creepy lol. And another time was hilarious. We were fighting the Ruin Sentinels and I happened to fall of the platform and die. In the few last moments before disconnecting I heard the host (left alone on the platform) screaming "Oh no! I can't do anything! This SUCKS!". It was delightful.

maomaoIYP

The difference can be 700+ levels in DS1, where is the big difference? There will be a community cap sooner or later and it has nothing to do with soul memory or how it works. It's an agreement you partake in to have some semblance of balanced matchups.

This would be great if dueling arenas enforced SM range matchmaking, since souls are not earned in arena matches.
As it stands a large amount of the community is already staying at SL 150, which puts players at around 1.5 million SM.
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/players/index.html
The SL distribution follows a nice gaussian distribution except for a few parts which can be explained as follows:
SL10s are the people who started the game and gave up immediately.
SL150s are the people who are staying there for PvP fairness
SL210s are the people who cleared as many achievements as possible, and just keep on leveling by continuously playing PvE.

SL150 is great for PvP if people stuck to it (or if From brings back SL matchmaking). PvP at SL 200 onwards is pointless because everyone is going to some super build with no tradeoffs.

Jaeger

Started my second new character. Will be a Sorcery/small blade build. This game is awesome. I'll try NOT to die or rest, but this may not be that game. lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I remembered Straid would trade a miracle for the Old King Soul, and used an ascetic to get it before NG+.... and oof, 65 faith required? Is this remotely worth using skeptic's spice on? Then again I don't think there's another miracle I'd use it on I guess...

So far I have sorcerer build and knight build and now I am playing mostly with my hunter. He is by far my favorite... doing a short bow long mix and match and I'm freaking loving it. Only at Hunstman's Copse, didnt notice breaking those wooden windows and shedding some light. Was pretty cool. Game has so many nice touches.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I finished this at the weekend and just wanted to say it was great.
Currently running around clearing up stuff before starting NG+ (which I'm looking forward to much more than in the previous games).

Also... I just got the thread title. Still giggling...

PvP at SL 200 onwards is pointless because everyone is going to some super build with no tradeoffs.

I barely see the issue even then. Even if a build is theoretically free from tradeoffs, it's not like anyone's going to be flopping around between hexes, pyro, a STR weapon, turtling a greatshield, and then following it up with some magic and a dual Washing Pole swipe for good measure lol. I mean you still have to focus your attacks and approach around some kind of basic setup and limited range of tactics. Just sounds more like a clash of the titans scenario than a matchup between powderpuffs. Different strokes.

Also I think it's funny when people talk about these games like there's a competitive scene. So long as you can summon, be summoned, invade and be invaded, the game's matchmaking is working. The whole thing with Demon's Souls SL120 "pvp cap" was that pvp as a whole dried up around that point, invasions included; if you wanted there to be any pvp at all (more or less), you needed to stay under 120. That wasn't true in Dark and it isn't true now, so the "meta SL pvp" number is completely arbitrary. You can get all the pvp you want in this game at any SL you want. Make a build that stops at SL90, plenty of pvp. Make a build that stops at SL150, plenty of pvp. Make a build that stops at SL245, plenty of pvp.

Unless I'm just completely missing something, which is certainly possible.

maomaoIYP

I barely see the issue even then. Even if a build is theoretically free from tradeoffs, it's not like anyone's going to be flopping around between hexes, pyro, a STR weapon, turtling a greatshield, and then following it up with some magic and a dual Washing Pole swipe for good measure lol.
I fought a dude just like that. I posted it a few pages back. Power stanced washing poles, sunlight blade and homing soul mass with 5 orbs. I did a riposte for over 1000 and did less than 40% of his HP. If everyone is running mundane builds at 50 there's no need for diversity anymore. Everyone is going to be Havel mages, which apparently is already happening at high SL pvp.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So you can't drop the Vanquisher Seal. My friend told me you could so I farmed those stupid awestones so I could transfer them to my str build. And then I summon him as a shade and realize he never even tested it because you can't drop the ring.

*facepalm* Last time I trust him...

Thanks Lucatiel, that's exactly what I needed, for you to get stuck outside Smelter Demon's door so I have to solo him with double health. Killed the bastard anyway, wonder if it counts toward her questline :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's fun seeing some folks in the PC thread struggling in No Man's Wharf and calling it the worst place ever. I can't wait until they see the Shrine of Amana or that one room in Drangleic Castle, haha.

That said I'm jealous and can't wait for the Steam summer sales so I can double dip and experience those glorious fast loading times.
Thanks Lucatiel, that's exactly what I needed, for you to get stuck outside Smelter Demon's door so I have to solo him with double health. Killed the bastard anyway, wonder if it counts toward her questline :p

It does, as far as I know. Hey at least she lived instead of plunging to her death in the lava, haha.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Some of them reported not being revived after a coop, or being revived randomly, much like pre-patch on consoles.... so I don't know which version they're playing. :S
Has it been confirmed the Amana nerf was on 360 only? I'm on PS3 and I did think the tracking was still there but I'm not sure if it's lessened a bit or what...

Soulhouf

Some of them reported not being revived after a coop, or being revived randomly, much like pre-patch on consoles.... so I don't know which version they're playing. :S
Has it been confirmed the Amana nerf was on 360 only? I'm on PS3 and I did think the tracking was still there but I'm not sure if it's lessened a bit or what...

I'm on PS3 as well and didn't notice a big nerf.

Sande

What kind of attack is WotG?
I assumed it would be magic so tried with magic infused Rebel's Greatshield (100% magic block) and still took damage.
Tried Lightning, Dark, Fire and nothing works. The shield will always block something around 70% of the damage.
Is this a bug?
In the description it says that it's lightning, not physical like you'd expect.

Don't know if you're talking about PvP or
Licia
but the latter one-shotted me (and roughly 30% dmg through a shield) no matter what I as wearing. Which is weird because my friend took about half the damage but maybe that enemy has been nerfed.

I'm almost comletely sure there's a nerf on PS3. All you have to do is a little side step to dodge them now. They used to be bloody relentless. It may not be much, but makes all the difference for me.

Yasawas

Just got patch 1.04 for this when I booted it and it includes a fix for "Users can now proceed through the Shrine of Winter".

I know there was an issue with that for some people which was meant to be fixed in the last one, I wonder if they've removed the SM requirements entirely.

Jaeger

FINALLY BEAT DARKLURKER and all those Dark Chasms. That was right up there with Ancient Dragon on the frustration, chart. Switching my first/main character over for minor hexes, to Sorcery/Melee build made this much more doable.

And that Darklurker.... he's incredibly powerful. Can't take much, but he can dish it out.

EDIT - Which Bonfire brings back the Ruin Sentinels at the Lost Bastille?

Grinchy

Banned
I'm almost comletely sure there's a nerf on PS3. All you have to do is a little side step to dodge them now. They used to be bloody relentless. It may not be much, but makes all the difference for me.

I didn't notice any difference at all. I think I even played the zone before and after the patch in the same day.

Someone posted a link to a youtube video supposedly of the 360 version where the spells had no tracking at all. They just went in straight lines. I don't have the link though and I don't have the 360 version, so I can't say for sure.

Arjen

360 version had absolutly no tracking in Amana anymore, it's stupid easy now. Went trough it just a couple days ago, no need for sniping anymore.

maomaoIYP

I didn't notice any difference at all. I think I even played the zone before and after the patch in the same day.

Someone posted a link to a youtube video supposedly of the 360 version where the spells had no tracking at all. They just went in straight lines. I don't have the link though and I don't have the 360 version, so I can't say for sure.
You'll know the nerf when you see it, it's like night and day on the 360. At the circular stone pavilion with 3 mages, 1 red phantom and couple of crawlers I can walk in and casually melee everyone. Don't even need to roll.

360 version had absolutly no tracking in Amana anymore, it's stupid easy now. Went trough it just a couple days ago, no need for sniping anymore.

While it is pretty stupid easy, the tracking is definitely still there; it's just been uber-nerfed. The best comparison would probably be a slightly "trackier" model of how enemy arrows behaved in DS1 - more of a magnetism. Regardless, you can walk your way out of danger now.

Top Bottom