• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Soulhouf

In the description it says that it's lightning, not physical like you'd expect.

Don't know if you're talking about PvP or
Licia
but the latter one-shotted me (and roughly 30% dmg through a shield) no matter what I as wearing. Which is weird because my friend took about half the damage but maybe that enemy has been nerfed.

Yeah I'm talking about the latter. Even with a 100% lightning blocking shield I still take damage and it barely depletes 1/4 of my stamina.
It's weird how some weapons/spells work differently for enemies.

GRIP

Yeah, I didn't notice much of a difference going back through Amana last night (first time since the patch on PS3). The way people were talking about it made me think that it was going to be some major nerf, but I honestly couldn't notice much of a change.

GulAtiCa

Yeah I'm talking about the latter. Even with a 100% lightning blocking shield I still take damage and it barely depletes 1/4 of my stamina.
It's weird how some weapons/spells work differently for enemies.
I always find that odd. WotG on a PvP and they are laughing destroyed. WotG on a common enemy and does like 1/2 damage

What I noticed is you can just step out of the way now. Maybe you could do that before and I was just too busy rolling etc, but I noticed you can just let it come to you and walk to the side, not even run.

The distance is more of an annoyance imo - they just seem to follow you forever and never dissipate. I find that unusual to the series. As for homing, I'm ok with homing magic, but this goes for the mages in Brightside Cove too - sometimes the magic can turn MULTIPLE corners. It feels and looks silly. You learn to deal with it and snipe them etc, but it still feels wrong.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Okay, I know I've been progressing much, much slower than most of GAF, but last night I made it to Drangleic Castle and Shrine Of Amana and WOW. Sooooooo good. If the rest of the endgame is like this, I mean, goddamn.
Mirror Knight
was a fun fight but my magic mace made short work of him--he didn't even have a chance to summon! But then there's the Dark Pilgrim covenant I joined and what the hell--
DARK HAVEL!!!!
. Holeee shitballs!! There went all my human efigees. Gone. Got owned in numerous ways. In fact, Drangleic Castle is really the first difficulty spike that I've been expecting all game.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
*terrible memories come flooding back*
Fuck that asshole and fuck Belfry Sol. Never going back. I finally got the chest to drop last night but it was only after hours of farming for that last piece. I ended up muting the sound and using a method a reddit user found where after you rest at the bonfire, if your PS3 chugs more than twice, that's when the blu-ray player is accessing the extra data needed to spawn the Mad Warrior.

Before that I was running up and back down up to 20x in a row without him spawning, only for him to spawn on the 21st time and not drop anything. After using that method it only took another hour of farming to get it. And that was using the delicate string ring (which is bullshit, don't think it really increases his spawn rate), gold serpent +1, prisoner's tatters and jester hat.

I'm never going back to Belfry Sol again.

Badgerst3

Last night sucked in the old iron keep dragon remnants bridge arena.

Had like 4 pvp in a row where the aholes lightning speared me while I was bowing and then all later used estus.

One actually was down to a sliver of health, ran away, and used like 5 estus. He finally got me. With a bow. For fucks sake.

Going to go for a no bonfire/no death run next. Starting a new character and doing it on NG+. The thing is I'm very much a completist and farmer. So what I want to do is do the NG+ run as quickly as possible and miss out as much optional stuff as I can, and I'm going to bonfire ascetic in NG the stuff I want to skip in NG+ (Gargoyles and other optional bosses) so that I can still farm and get 2 boss souls etc. And I'll probably be going magic or faith purely for the ability to cheese everything long range.

It seems like a no bonfire/no death run is much safer to do in NG+ since you have more HP and maxed weapons etc and will have tons of consumables if you don't use any in NG. I'll just cry if I fall of a ledge or something!

ElFly

After playing the game several times, I am waaay more annoyed by the witches in Tseldora than the homing lazors in Shrine of Amana.

Particularly because I never kill the ones in Tseldora enough for their extinction, and they are always a nuisance when visiting the Ornifex. Been killed quite a few times by them when opening the door to Ornifex.

I don't remember if you could avoid the lazors in Amana by just walking before the last patch. I know that, now ,while they still home on you, they can be walked off. But I am not sure if there was a nerf or not.

Going to go for a no bonfire/no death run next. Starting a new character and doing it on NG+. The thing is I'm very much a completist and farmer. So what I want to do is do the NG+ run as quickly as possible and miss out as much optional stuff as I can, and I'm going to bonfire ascetic in NG the stuff I want to skip in NG+ (Gargoyles and other optional bosses) so that I can still farm and get 2 boss souls etc. And I'll probably be going magic or faith purely for the ability to cheese everything long range.

It seems like a no bonfire/no death run is much safer to do in NG+ since you have more HP and maxed weapons etc and will have tons of consumables if you don't use any in NG. I'll just cry if I fall of a ledge or something!

Some of the new red phantoms are p nasty, tho. And the new adds in LS and Flexile.

Particularly the ones that don't appear the first time you arrive to the first Drangleic Bonfire, but only once you get the king's ring. Those fuckers will end you.

Soulhouf

After playing the game several times, I am waaay more annoyed by the witches in Tseldora than the homing lazors in Shrine of Amana.

Particularly because I never kill the ones in Tseldora enough for their extinction, and they are always a nuisance when visiting the Ornifex. Been killed quite a few times by them when opening the door to Ornifex.

I don't remember if you could avoid the lazors in Amana by just walking before the last patch. I know that, while they still home on you, they can be walked off. But I am not sure if there was a nerf or not.

Yeah fuck these witches.
How many times I ran to Ornifex's workshop and start to open the door only to be stunlocked by the homing soul rays.

ElFly

Has anyone experimented with Hush? I know the silence ring and invisibilty ring in DS1 threw off many, many of the enemies into not noticing you so you could walk up to them and backstab them, or plain old ignore them.

Does this still happen in DS2? or is the lack of hidden body a problem. Maybe replacing it with camouflage?

Some of the new red phantoms are p nasty, tho. And the new adds in LS and Flexile.

Particularly the ones that don't appear the first time you arrive to the first Drangleic Bonfire, but only once you get the king's ring. Those fuckers will end you.
The Flexile Sentry ones completely annihilated me in seconds the first time I did NG+, they're no joke!

What about amassing the souls needed to open Shrine of Winter and zoom to Drangleic Castle asap? You could miss out so much. Wiki says 2M souls in NG+ - if you don't use any consumable souls and pop them all right at the start of NG+ I bet you'd be half way there nearly.

AngryMoth

Just logged in on PS3 and there's a new patch, have they released details on this one?

Edit: notes are on the information screen, doesn't seem like anything major just a few small fixes

I summoned someone to help me fight Smelter Demon last night. It was Lucatiel. I realized my mistake and tried to push her into the lave, but that didn't work.

She ended up doing a good job tanking the boss and dealing the killing blow! I'll never doubt you again, Lucatiel.
until the next time your pathfinding makes you fall to your death

I summoned someone to help me fight Smelter Demon last night. It was Lucatiel. I realized my mistake and tried to push her into the lave, but that didn't work.

She ended up doing a good job tanking the boss and dealing the killing blow! I'll never doubt you again, Lucatiel.

You should have tried that fight before the latest patch. ;) FROM totally buffed those NPC summons so they do actual damage, and most importantly, don't die within seconds.

ElFly

You realize you can send phantoms home by using the black separation crystal you start with.

Both humans and npc.

No need for pathfinding tricks.

ElFly

The Flexile Sentry ones completely annihilated me in seconds the first time I did NG+, they're no joke!

What about amassing the souls needed to open Shrine of Winter and zoom to Drangleic Castle asap? You could miss out so much. Wiki says 2M souls in NG+ - if you don't use any consumable souls and pop them all right at the start of NG+ I bet you'd be half way there nearly.

I think that if you saved every boss soul for NG+ you'd be almost halfways there, yeah.

But the grinding for the other half is gonna be hell if you aren't doing at least Tseldora or Iron Keep.

I think someone who did this challenge said he avoided Iron Keep only out of fear of falling into the lava, but did Lost Sinner. Of course...he wasn't playing NG+ :D

You should have tried that fight before the latest patch. ;) FROM totally buffed those NPC summons so they do actual damage, and most importantly, don't die within seconds.

Ah, that explains it. This was my first NPC summon post patch.

You realize you can send phantoms home by using the black separation crystal you start with.

Both humans and npc.

No need for pathfinding tricks.

Forgot about that! I never use it since I find it kinda rude for summoned help, and even invaders. And Lucatiel was standing right at the edge, so I just spent a minute trying to get her to fall.

Started up two new characters last night - one Cleric and one Sorcerer. As someone who beat the game three times as a straight up STR/DEX smash monster, needless to say, I'm having some issues. But, totally love the new challenge. It's making me think of pretty much every aspect of the game in completely new ways.

maomaoIYP

Is it like a bad day for PvP or something? No one's bothering to bow at the iron keep and everyone is swinging away the instant I enter the duel.

edit: Also, I just realized that a majority of dex weapons are terrible for PvE.

I don't like the rapier moveset, R2 to parry is terribad.
The dex weapons are piss poor versus the heavy armor dudes in the dark worlds.
I never use the rapier parry because I'm not gud but they're fantastic for doing damage and pressuring the opponent while still being safe

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guys, guys, guys. Shrine of Amana is fucking AWESOME. Obviously, I speak post-nerf but still, I can see myself loving it even without it. Even the torch comes in handy!

krakov

Is it like a bad day for PvP or something? No one's bothering to bow at the iron keep and everyone is swinging away the instant I enter the duel.

edit: Also, I just realized that a majority of dex weapons are terrible for PvE.

I think a big chunk of players probably jumped to PC. Feels like it may become the version of choice this time around.

GulAtiCa

Shrine of Amana tracking sure is different post-nerf. Before the nerf they it would track you so easily that it hit you a mile away even if you dodged.. Now you just have to walk 2 inches. Actually nice to be a more normal level.

Anyways, with my Sorcerer char, I am keeping to Bell-bros covenant as I progress through the game. Nice way to get extra 2k souls at this point, as well as refill all my spell uses. I've been doing pretty well in my invasions there. Even 1-on-1 I usually come out on top. All the extra titanite chunks are nice too.

My favorite moment however is the following: Invaded someone who let in a red phantom to take on the greys for him. Had a Pyro warmth spell in effect to heal his red as he was working on a fellow grey. The grey was almost dead, and would have been if it wasn't for me. They were on the bottom floor, so I dropped down and back-stabbed the red from behind. Almost killed him in one hit. The naked host tried to do same to me, but since I was still in animation, he couldn't touch me. So I then backstabbed him and nearly destroyed him in one hit. Me and my fellow grey, who now has increased health thanks to the idiot host, then resulted in destroying the red and I finished off the host. hehehe

I'm all for fair 1-on-1 duels, but this is the bell tower. This is not a place for duels.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Shrine of Amana tracking sure is different post-nerf. Before the nerf they it would track you so easily that it hit you a mile away even if you dodged.. Now you just have to walk 2 inches. Actually nice to be a more normal level.

I can easily see how it would have been frustrating prior to the patch but it still seems really well designed overall imo. Just incredible atmosphere. Crazy how everything I've read here is saying the endgame gets better and better but it's true so far. Assuming I'm close to that of course...

GulAtiCa

I can easily see how it would have been frustrating prior to the patch but it still seems really well designed overall imo. Just incredible atmosphere. Crazy how everything I've read here is saying the endgame gets better and better but it's true so far. Assuming I'm close to that of course...

Oh yeah, if I ignore the damn enemies, I love that area. Music, singing, atmosphere, all of it is lovely.

Jaeger

Yea last night I summoned a dragon covenant guy, and I started to bow and he immediately shot double Avalon shots at me. Killed me instantly. Fucking lame.

SoldnerKei

Yea last night I summoned a dragon covenant guy, and I started to bow and he immediately shot double Avalon shots at me. Killed me instantly. Fucking lame.

that's why I wait to see if people bow or something, I don't do it, but if they do I reply, thou some of them attack me in the middle of it anyway lol

GulAtiCa

So they nerfed Amala for butthurt melee players? come on, next time we will see bosses nerfed because they are too hard for new players

idk.. I was a caster during my 1st playthrough, and even I, with my binoculars, hated that area and got really pissed at all the cheap spell casting trackers..

Even worse, is that the draw distance is kinda bad in the PS3 game, so you can be shot by a cast without even seeing the enemy (even when you use binoculars)....

SoldnerKei

So they nerfed Amala for butthurt melee players? come on, next time we will see bosses nerfed because they are too hard for new players

I am a melee player and had no
t so much
problem with that area, remind me of sen's fortress, really easy if you pay attention, not so much if you run in like an idiot

plus I had a bow with poison arrows :'D

idk.. I was a caster during my 1st playthrough, and even I, with my binoculars, hated that area and got really pissed at all the cheap spell casting trackers..

Even worse, is that the draw distance is kinda bad in the PS3 game, so you can be shot by a cast without even seeing the enemy (even when you use binoculars)....

People seem to forget you dont have to make noise, the area itself punish you for running or evading on the water.

New patch on PS3.

Trying to make a new character right now and every time I try to change something in my appearance loading on character model is horrendous. It literally takes over 20 seconds to put a beard on his face.

Anyone else? Is this because of patch or is my PS3 dying?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So I just checked in with the puppet guy at Belfry Luna when passing through to help on Gargoyle Co-Op. Apparently all that farming I did of Mad Warrior pushed me from rank 1 to max rank in the Bellbros, as he gave me titanite, hidden weapon and a full set of Bellkeepers armor! Sweet.

Still not worth it tho. Fuck ladders. Never doing it again.

Doombear

New patch on PS3.

Trying to make a new character right now and every time I try to change something in my appearance loading on character model is horrendous. It literally takes over 20 seconds to put a beard on his face.

Anyone else? Is this because of patch or is my PS3 dying?

Don't think it is your PS3 as that is what happened to me before patch 1.03. I even seem to recall it being in the patch notes for 1.03 that it was getting fixed. Sounds like 1.04 just broke that again. It was also hit or miss in 1.02. I have about 4 characters created then and 2 of them were normal when it came to loading changes I made on sliders or hair, the other two were exactly how you described it. Slider locks up, changes blink into existence 30-60 seconds later.

I should also point out this was on my brand new PS3 that I got simply to play DS2. So definitely don't think it is your PS3.

EDIT: Odd. Looking over Patch Notes for 1.03 I see nothing now about the character creation. I do however see in the Japanese notes for 1.03 that there was this: キャラクターメイキングでの表示レスポンスの改善 which relates to the 'display speed of Character Creation'. All I know is that every character I created post patch 1.03 it was working fine.

sikkinixx

So... I'm a bit lost. I started cleric because I loved miracles in DS1, and I've bene levelling up the hammer you start with and kind of throwing points into a bunch of stuff not really having a plan. I got Faith to 22 ASAP for Lightning miracle, which is super powerful, but other than that... I dunno what to do.

Ds1 I pumped faith and endurance like crazy since I wanted stamina for my claymore, capacity for the ninja rolling ring, and faith because I went divine and my weapons scaled to it.

I hate not having a plan, even though I could just respec later on I guess.

I just downloaded patch 1.04. What does it do ? Google only serves me calibration 1.04, which happened three weeks ago.

Also, what is the difference between patches and calibrations ?

Tenrius

What's the deal with Mirror Knight? Why does he have a separate trophy? I beat him on my first attempt, it was fairly easy. Are those phantoms actually other players?

Mistel

Banned
What's the deal with Mirror Knight? Why does he have a separate trophy? I beat him on my first attempt, it was fairly easy. Are those phantoms actually other players?
They can be if they get summoned by it via the mirror but the black phantoms are npc's.

Sande

I just downloaded patch 1.04. What does it do ? Google only serves me calibration 1.04, which happened three weeks ago.

Also, what is the difference between patches and calibrations ?
Basically calibrations are what From can change on the fly and you automatically download them in a few seconds when you start the game. I'd guess it's mostly stuff like changing enemy health, damage etc.

Jaeger

I4AilOv4.jpg
UlL1qhSD.png

Interesting how much smaller the head piece is, this time around. Everything else is mostly the same.

Top Bottom