• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
These two are pretty much the same aesthetically as the first:
knight-set-f-large.jpg

tsNobVl.png
And
Minus the fact everything looks more darker maybe slightly rusty too as far as elite knight goes.

Jaeger

Yep, they sure are. Looking at these comparisons makes me really appreciate the texture and color work in DS2. It's much better, and as you pointed out, more gritty. Really fits the world of Souls, better. Things are shiny where they need to be.

These two are pretty much the same aesthetically as the first:

And

Minus the fact everything looks more darker maybe slightly rusty too as far as elite knight goes.

They are actually the same, the drangelic version tells you they rip off of the original knight model and hired/randsome the blacksmith to do armors for them

Soulhouf

Okay, the Zweihander did perhaps lose a lot of its power compared to Dark Souls but it's still so powerful in PvP, especially since now you need to aim your swings, allowing you to easily change the direction after committing to action even in lock-on mode.
Your opponent thinks he/she managed to roll away from the attack but he/she gets caught off guard.

I'm surprised to see only a few players use it.

krakov

Okay, the Zweihander did perhaps lose a lot of its power compared to Dark Souls but it's still so powerful in PvP, especially since now you need to aim your swings, allowing you to easily change the direction after committing to action even in lock-on mode.
Your opponent thinks he/she managed to roll away from the attack but he/she gets caught off guard.

There are a lot of ultra greatswords around this time and the zwei doesn't seem to stand out really. About 500 AR at 40/40 is pretty awful.

tokkun

Because the Greatsword is not much slower and does a lot more damage.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just solo'd skeleton frog face. What an easy boss for what was an extremely annoying area. Not sure where I'm supposed to go from here though. I rescued the girl trapped by the S&M freak and she just gasped and disappeared (shockingly realistic).

Idk what to do with the ring she gave me, seems like a vanity thing. The song on the way down was nice though.

Soulhouf

There are a lot of ultra greatswords around this time and the zwei doesn't seem to stand out really. About 500 AR at 40/40 is pretty awful.

Because the Greatsword is not much slower and does a lot more damage.

I don't know. I find it stunlocks much easier than the other ultra great swords.
The Greatsword is more powerful but slower and a lot heavier.
At first I didn't like the Zwei but after getting used to it my win ratio in PvP jumped from 5/10 to 9/10 since I started using it.
Currently I have 30 str/40 dex. I think I will respec to 40 str/30 dex and stop using pure dex weapons until FROM decides to fix them. I gave them their chance but unfortunately they are underwhelming.

Anyway, I think the Zwei has once again something special that makes it unique and still very effective.

Mistel

Banned
S&M freak and she just gasped and disappeared (shockingly realistic).

Idk what to do with the ring she gave me, seems like a vanity thing. The song on the way down was nice though.
I expected a bosom to thrust into I was most disappointed with the bondage cage. The ring of the dead does nothing other than the description so vanity.

The Zwei doesn't weigh a lot making it easier to retain mobility.

Just solo'd skeleton frog face. What an easy boss for what was an extremely annoying area. Not sure where I'm supposed to go from here though. I rescued the girl trapped by the S&M freak and she just gasped and disappeared (shockingly realistic).

Now you have to return to
the drangelic castle and shave the last one, then you get acces to another area of Amala

Easiest boss in the game I think. Took him down with a bow and a bunch of arrows. Long process but never puts you in any danger of dying (or getting hit for that matter).

maomaoIYP

I don't know. I find it stunlocks much easier than the other ultra great swords.
The Greatsword is more powerful but slower and a lot heavier.
At first I didn't like the Zwei but after getting used to it my win ratio in PvP jumped from 5/10 to 9/10 since I started using it.
Currently I have 30 str/40 dex. I think I will respec to 40 str/30 dex and stop using pure dex weapons until FROM decides to fix them. I gave them their chance but unfortunately they are underwhelming.

Anyway, I think the Zwei has once again something special that makes it unique and still very effective.

Zwei has a great horizontal sweeping attack, hence it's easier to catch people.
I prefer the greatsword too, because the 1H moveset is horizontal while the 2H is vertical.

krakov

I think a raw zwei with base reqs is pretty comparable to a 30/40 or 40/30 unfortunately. Dat scaling.

Tenrius

Just finished the game. I don't know about all those people saying it's a "B-team game" etc, I still liked it a lot. It might have lacked the landscape diversity and direction of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, but it was a very enjoyable and well-designed ride all the way through (unlike Dark Souls, which had some truly awful parts). The story and the lore were a bit too shallow this time around, but that is something that has always been inherent to this series: both previous games didn't have much in those departments either, they just hid it very well, in a stylish way, and this game tried to be very direct with its storytelling. For me, that was ultimately unimportant.

Oh, and about the landscape diversity. I kind of saw what they were going for: to show that there were multiple ancient kingdoms in Drangleic and that they all perished at various points in time. And they probably wanted to show the capitals of said kingdoms, making them all distinct and interesting, but it just didn't work out. What we have in the end is a bunch of rather similar and admittedly boring castles, with some forests of at least three different kinds for good measure. There are also (mostly boring) dungeons and a bunch of truly awesome looking locations, admittedly. So what I want to say here is that the idea was pretty good, but they just failed to implement it particularly well.

Just finished the game. I don't know about all those people saying it's a "B-team game" etc, I still liked it a lot. It might have lacked the landscape diversity and direction of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, but it was a very enjoyable and well-designed ride all the way through (unlike Dark Souls, which had some truly awful parts). The story and the lore were a bit too shallow this time around, but that is something that has always been inherent to this series: both previous games didn't have much in those departments either, they just hid it very well, in a stylish way, and this game tried to be very direct with its storytelling. For me, that was ultimately unimportant.

Oh, and about the landscape diversity. I kind of saw what they were going for: to show that there were multiple ancient kingdoms in Drangleic and that they all perished at various points in time. And they probably wanted to show the capitals of said kingdoms, making them all distinct and interesting, but it just didn't work out. What we have in the end is a bunch of rather similar and admittedly boring castles, with some forests of at least three different kinds for good measure. There are also (mostly boring) dungeons and a bunch of truly awesome looking locations, admittedly. So what I want to say here is that the idea was pretty good, but they just failed to implement it particularly well.

It feels like seeing a movie version of a comic character on the newbie director idea of seeing one of two comics books, they just get it all wrong yet have the feeling of the original idea diluted in the director own version of the game.

Dekanach

Patch v1.04 (in PS3 at least) is here!

Fix various issues such as a problem with entering to Shrine of Winter, item exchange, etc., and now adds support for Brazillian portuguese :D

Robot Pants

Anywhere with full patch notes?

Patch/TU ver. 1.04, adding support for Brazilian Portuguese, will be out on 4/25 for PlayStation 3, and 4/29 for Xbox 360!
Additionally, the following updates are included:
- Users can now proceed through Shrine of Winter
- Item exchange issue fixed
- Fixed issue where non-client spirits (Dark Spirit, etc.) could pick up dropped items during co-op play
- Fixed issue with some map areas whereby players could not recover dropped souls after death

Planned worldwide release times are:
- PlayStation 3 : April 25th 9:00 am (GMT)
- Xbox 360 : April 29th 6:00 am (GMT)
http://darksoulsii.com/us/

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I finally made a washing pole-resonant weapon build, been destroying everyone today! The washing pole is insane. Maybe I just bumped into you?

I was on last night, but it's possible. Haz no washing pole yet either :(

Casul cough cough. You getting stabbed by smelter was hilarious.

XD

Not quite as funny as watching you run around a corner and get stabbed to death by an NPC Red Phantom, rookie. ;)

Shengar

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Claymore is no more :(
It does no longer have the cool cross hilt of forward-sloping quillons with quatrefoil terminations.
It looks like a big Long Sword.

Shit, prepare to casul indeed :(
Then should I stuck with my bastard sword instead?

Soulhouf

If you already upgraded it than yes. You can try the Claymore later when you get more upgrade materials.
It has terrible quality scaling (especially with dex) but still good and doesn't look like a Claymore any more. So don't be surprised when you see it.

If you are increasing faith or int then stick to the minimal requirement and infuse it with the matching element. You can buff an infused weapon and will make it more effective than pure physical.

Shengar

If you already upgraded it than yes. You can try the Claymore later when you get more upgrade materials.
It has terrible quality scaling (especially with dex) but still good and doesn't look like a Claymore any more. So don't be surprised when you see it.

If you are increasing faith or int then stick to the minimal requirement and infuse it with the matching element. You can buff an infused weapon and will make it more effective than pure physical.

I'm currently in my first playthrough and aims for pure melee playthrough. But from what you said pure physical doesn't sounds convincing. Should I invest some point to either Int or Faith?

Mistel

Banned
XD

Not quite as funny as watching you run around a corner and get stabbed to death by an NPC Red Phantom, rookie. ;)
A phantom that I didn't know had spawned compared to a sentient furnace that you couldn't miss if you tried... I did most of the work anyway :p.

If you like it then sure there's not much difference between them. I'm using a royal greatsword as it's light and has a decent moveset. Pure melee is perfectly viable on strength characters.

maomaoIYP

I'm currently in my first playthrough and aims for pure melee playthrough. But from what you said pure physical doesn't sounds convincing. Should I invest some point to either Int or Faith?
My first play through was pure melee, it's doable, and a good experience, but it's by far one of the weakest builds.

Soulhouf

Unfortunately pure physical weapons are no longer as powerful as they used to be, mainly because the scaling has been nerfed, especially for dex. To give you an idea, S in DS2 is like A or B in DS1.
The way to approach the game is very different from DS1 and you have to use the Ring of Blades for your physical weapons, which is unfortunate because that way the developers encourage putting the minimum stats for weapons and don't bother with scaling. Pure str weapons such as clubs for example are still very powerful since many enemies are weak to strike weapons.

With that said, I still like using pure physical weapons and despite the nerf they are effective if you use the right equipment, so don't worry and continue playing the way you like.
I'm expecting a future big calibration that will be mainly focused on improving str/dex weapons scaling to put them on equal ground with the spells family which is still much more powerful in the current version.

Shengar

That's a relieve to hear because I already put 25 point to STR and 18 point to DEX (I shouldn't put more level to this then?). I'll continue with my two-handed melee playthrough with my Bastard Sword+4 then since Claymore is no more :(

Mistel

Banned
That's a relieve to hear because I already put 25 point to STR and 18 point to DEX (I shouldn't put more level to this then?). I'll continue with my two-handed melee playthrough with my Bastard Sword+4 then since Claymore is no more :(
You will get the mastadon greatsword later that will put your bastard to shame. A claymore doesn't hurt to have it does more damage once upgraded it surpasses the bastard.

If you up your dex to 25 then you can use both greatbows.

If you like playing as melee you might not enjoy using magic. I tried it for a while but it's not for me. I only ever play as melee with a bow. Poison arrows are great too.

Shengar

You will get the mastadon greatsword later that will put your bastard to shame. A claymore doesn't hurt to have it does more damage once upgraded it surpasses the bastard.

If you up your dex to 25 then you can use both greatbows.
The reason I called THE claymore is because of that hilt. Without that, it just the claymore :(
Well then, I supposed I could upgrade my bastar sword up to +5 or +7 before I got mastadon then?
If you like playing as melee you might not enjoy using magic. I tried it for a while but it's not for me. I only ever play as melee with a bow. Poison arrows are great too.

Actually I played as sorcerer extensively in the first DkS and it kinda sour my playing experience because it kinda OP against many bosses, while in DeS I played mostly with Lava Bow. I don't know how spellcasting here though, is it very different from the first game?

Pryor

Thinking of starting again on a new char but I am not sure if I should do so after double dipping for the PC version. My only concern is that the player base won't be as big as the PS3 release when it comes to MP.

Anywho still doing some pvp and kinda finding my feet after the tips given here so a big thanks for that. In the end I feel it just comes down to repetition and taking your time with pokes. I am still kind of rushing in there right from the get go when that isn't what I am built for. Still can't bring myself to get rid of Sun Spear though! Though I have found that rather than casting at range it is farm more effective close up. You just have to wait and pick your moment and BAM.

I got invaded by a red the other night and we had a good duel. I lost but not without bringing his health down to the point where it actually looked like he should be dead. I sent him a message saying how close it of a fight it was and we had a good friendly exchange.
Nice to know not all reds are total asswits. :D

maomaoIYP

I might be talking out of my ass here, but after spending an entire afternoon slogging the way to Velsdast's door with minimal AGL, I respeced for a high AGL build. The backstab animation is a lot faster with high AGL.

Mistel

Banned
The reason I called THE claymore is because of that hilt. Without that, it just the claymore :(
Without the forward sloping quillions it's just a slightly bigger bastard to put it bluntly. Claymore in name only sucks at least make it look like one.

Well then, I supposed I could upgrade my bastar sword up to +5 or +7 before I got mastadon then?
If you wan't I'd experiment with the other greatswords before deciding just to use the bastard. Then you can upgrade which ever one you like. But if you like the bastard by all means use it till you get the mastodon. Or if you like bleed then you could get a flamberge if you like later if that is your thing.

The castles were actually my favorite areas in the games...

Top Bottom