• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

bobawesome

You could always just play offline and farm the Mad Warrior. Kills against him count towards the BK's covenant. Get some rare item drops (hopefully) and rank up at the same time.

Yeah, good idea. It's pretty much bullshit trying to do it online because you have a chance of being invaded by two people wearing Havel armor and Havel shields at the same time.
Totally not butthurt.

bobawesome

And there we go, Platinum. I'm really interested in checking out Demon's Souls but I'm gonna need some time away from games for a while. I kinda got lost in it for a few weeks.

maomaoIYP

Yeah, good idea. It's pretty much bullshit trying to do it online because you have a chance of being invaded by two people wearing Havel armor and Havel shields at the same time.
Totally not butthurt.
Eh? To get it the regular way is to invade as a bellbro. The easy way to do that is to invade, cast chameleon or use a silver talisman and wait for another bellbro to come. I'm not proud of it by hey it's for the achievement.

Jaeger

Iron Keep is gank-city now. Getting summoned and backstabbed right away, or being summoned against three people that jumped me all at once.

Fucking bs.

Iron Keep is gank-city now. Getting summoned and backstabbed right away, or being summoned against three people that jumped me all at once.

Fucking bs.

That's where the moment you're summoned, you need to just roll away and dart into the keep. Use the environment to your advantage and kill them all as cheaply as possible. Works well in the lava area right in front of smelter demon

GRIP

Totally not butthurt.

You can hang out in the room right under the servant quarters bonfire (room with pharros lockstone hidden wall that leads to belfry luna) and not have to worry about being invaded.

Sayah

Was it just me or is No Man's Whaf Area missing a lot of its textures since the new patch? Looked CRAZY. Just a bunch of white mixed in with the area.

And I'm now stuck. Defeated all the bosses and have taken all the pathways I could take. Not sure what to do next.

maomaoIYP

I've heard that a lot from people who have played all three. I'll definitely be buying it but it'll have to wait a few weeks until finals are over.

I'll say it's just rose tinted memories.
World design Dark Souls 1 wins but combat wise Dark Souls 2 is by far the best.

LiK

I'll say it's just rose tinted memories.
World design Dark Souls 1 wins but combat wise Dark Souls 2 is by far the best.

i prefer the atmosphere, characters and world of Demon's. the combat is definitely not as refined as the Dark series but that's a given.

Guys, regarding the guard-break, does it only elicit the flailing-arms stun (that can be followed up by a riposte of sorts) from your opponent if they have their shield up, or is it based on the amount of stamina they have at the time?

maomaoIYP

i prefer the atmosphere, characters and world of Demon's. the combat is definitely not as refined as the Dark series but that's a given.

I do agree with atmosphere and characters, unfortunately my Souls experience is really defined by the combat.
Guys, regarding the guard-break, does it only elicit the flailing-arms stun (that can be followed up by a riposte of sorts) from your opponent if they have their shield up, or is it based on the amount of stamina they have at the time?
Only if their shield is up. However you can get the same stun by getting them to run out of stamina while they are blocking.

Feindflug

I do agree with atmosphere and characters, unfortunately my Souls experience is really defined by the combat.

To be honest Demon's and DaS1 are as close to perfection as possible even with their faults. DaS1 is my favorite too but I can see why someone could prefer Demon's, replayed it recently and the atmosphere is indeed still the best in the series.

Fucking bs.

Well that sucks man...stupid gankers. :(

On a more positive note yesterday I played some great PvP matches at Iron Keep (I was summoning people since I'm a sunbro), I wasn't hit while I was bowing so that's something! I tried using the
Black Knight Greatsword
but I need a lot of practice with it, still a really cool weapon. Also if anyone wants to do co-op
Freja
is the spot to do it, I got summoned so many times there yesterday...I even encountered some Japanese players, had a great time doing jolly co-operation there yesterday.

Soulhouf

Atmosphere and map design? Probably. Unfortunately the combat system in DaS1 is still miles behind DaS2.

As long as they don't fix the scaling, the display stats in the menu and many other bad design decisions, DkS2 remains inferior to 1 gameplay wise. Gameplay alone doesn't do it for me as long as the game and level design around it aren't solid.
Last night I booted Demon's Souls to see how it feels after DkS2 and I was surprised how better it felt.
Demon's Souls is bare-bone compared to the other 2 but it's more polished and I still want to go back to it whereas I'm already starting to get bored with DkS2.
For the record, I already spent over 2000 hours into DmS, 1500 hours into DkS and barely 200 hours in DkS2.

maomaoIYP

As long as they don't fix the scaling and the display stats in the menu, DkS1 remains superior to 2 gameplay wise.
Last night I booted Demon's Souls to see how it feels after DkS2 and I was surprised how better it felt.

I'm ok with the whole scaling issue, I think it's a design choice because of the implementation of power stance. Their rationale was probably that if STR and DEX scaling was like DaS1, power stanced characters would be too powerful. It's just a different scaling system that's all. Just go with infusion and buff, all characters can do it.

My issues with DaS1's combat system are numerous 1) blocking is king, 2) TWoP bullshit, 3) DWGR, 4) lack of diversity of viable loadouts and builds, 5) lagstabs.
Most of these issues are fixed in DaS2 and although admittedly there are other problems introduced, I find that they aren't as jarring and it makes an overall better combat experience.

edit: I just realized that we may be arguing over different things, I'm really arguing about the game from a PvP point of view, while you're talking about PvE. If that's the case yes I absolutely agree that PvE is lacking in DaS2. I miss circular map designs, I miss areas like Sen's Fortress, Painted World and World 1 of DeS. I also miss places like Ash Wood and nerve wrecking experiences like trying to kill all the crystal lizards there. I miss playing hide and seek on maps during invasions.

Soulhouf

I'm ok with the whole scaling issue, I think it's a design choice because of the implementation of power stance. Their rationale was probably that if STR and DEX scaling was like DaS1, power stanced characters would be too powerful. It's just a different scaling system that's all. Just go with infusion and buff, all characters can do it.

I have to disagree.
After many tests I made, holding a single weapon 2H is usually more effective than power stance.
What upsets me most in the scaling system is that the additional damage is calculated off the base weapon when it's not upgraded (but with the current scaling).
Let's say the weapon has 95 base damage. At +10 it has 190 base damage and a strong S scaling.
You apply that S to 95 and not 190 which gives you 140 bonus damage which doesn't make sens.
You tell me to infuse my weapon and take advantage from buffs. I agree, it will give you better result but it's even worse scaling-wise because it doesn't encourage to invest in a stat to benefit from a weapon's scaling. Instead, put the minimum and use infusions with buffs, which completely negates a dedicated pure physical build.

The whole thing needs to be rethought because it's a huge mess right now.

My issues with DaS1's combat system are numerous 1) blocking is king, 2) TWoP bullshit, 3) DWGR, 4) lack of diversity of viable loadouts and builds, 5) lagstabs.
Most of these issues are fixed in DaS2 and although admittedly there are other problems introduced, I find that they aren't as jarring and it makes an overall better combat experience.

They fixed and balanced some issues in DkS2 but only to break many others.
I'm not big into PvP TBH. I enjoy making different dedicated builds, explore the world and its lore and make challenge runs (base level, no upgrade, no rings and so on). That's what makes me play these games again and again.

Edit: okay, I just saw your edit.

maomaoIYP

They fixed and balanced some issues in DkS2 but only to break many others.
I'm not big into PvP TBH. I enjoy making different dedicated builds, explore the world and its lore and make challenge runs (base level, no upgrade, no rings and so on). That's what makes me play these games again and again.

Edit: okay, I just saw your edit.

Lol, I do enjoy the exploration, but once I'm done with that a few times I just focus on PvP. I'm not a very big fan of going past NG++ so I just build my dudes to 150 and play in the arenas.

Sande

So I just died to Nashandra with 10% hp left on a no-death run. I feel... pretty empty. She would have been a pushover but I accidentally did Giant Lord before Throne W&D and ended up against her with Benhart at 30% hp. Felt pretty unfair because the game wouldn't let me bone out of there after W&D for some reason.
I just realized it was because of Benhart, wasn't it? ffs

So I just died to Nashandra with 10% hp left on a no-death run. I feel... pretty empty. She would have been a pushover but I accidentally did Giant Lord before Throne W&D and ended up against her with Benhart at 30% hp. Felt pretty unfair because the game wouldn't let me bone out of there after W&D for some reason.

You could have Quit Game, when you reload you'd be outside the fog door.

D:

Sande

You could have Quit Game, when you reload you'd be outside the fog door.
Yeah, didn't think about that. And I could have probably used the aged feather after Benhart died. I guess I was under too much pressure to really think about anything. It's a good thing I can take these things with humor, someone else might have wrecked their controller after something like that.

Decided to dump 15 Petrified D-bones into the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword...

Look, for PvP, it's kind of the worst weapon ever; I don't know why I thought I could make that moveset work. 1:1 ratio of wayward vertical slashes to humiliation.

Having said that, do I feel somewhat vindicated because it's sexiest UGS in the game?

2905945-vlege7g.jpg

I just started the game on x360 and my God..that screen tearing from the very start of the game.Is that normal?
Maybe the game is only 720p and my tv is set on 1080p, so thus the tearing?Any advice?

maomaoIYP

This is my new favorite set of armor. Easy farm, upgrades with titanite. My helm isn't upgraded yet, I tend to swap it out for helms with special properties. Look at that defense!
Also a new character, probably my last (and prettiest to date), I can't think of any new builds to play.

Is there a trophy bug? I just received Flame Weapon, completing the pyromancies, and no trophy was awarded.

Edit: I'm missing one, nevermind.

Hey guys, made a new acc and decided to go INT.

What staff should I be looking to invest into early game? And which spells?

I know of the Lion set for faster casting.

Your not lying I've had a bit more success than you have but I've been 2 handing it in PvP.

Did the iron kink again yay for pine resin.

Yeah, the PUGS is definitely an acquired taste. My brief time with it has led me to believe that efficacious PvP relies more so on baiting and tanking hits to get that much more practical second swing in. It can definitely hit hard, but as it stands now, I have zero confidence with it, so I'll just bust it out for the remainder of my PvE play-through.

I did the Iron King the other night for the first time in NG+; only required one very stress-free attempt as a FTH build. I don't think I've ever fallen into the hole, come to think of it. Is he notoriously troublesome as a boss on the whole?

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, the PUGS is definitely an acquired taste. My brief time with it has led me to believe that efficacious PvP relies more so on baiting and tanking hits to get that much more practical second swing in. It can definitely hit hard, but as it stands now, I have zero confidence with it, so I'll just bust it out for the remainder of my PvE play-through.
I'd rather use a Zweihander than it for PvP wise it's easier to use than the pursuer greatsword.
I did the Iron King the other night for the first time in NG+; only required one very stress-free attempt as a FTH build. I don't think I've ever fallen into the hole, come to think of it. Is he notoriously troublesome as a boss on the whole?
I'm pure melee so I don't have any miracles on me which I'll fix with a respec later so I can throw great lightning spears and eventually sunlight spears.

Soulhouf

This is my new favorite set of armor. Easy farm, upgrades with titanite. My helm isn't upgraded yet, I tend to swap it out for helms with special properties. Look at that defense!
Also a new character, probably my last (and prettiest to date), I can't think of any new builds to play.

Very nice!
I have yet to try some armor but I can't allow myself to dump points into that *useless* stat (vitality or whatever it's called in the English version).

Do you find defense makes difference? Especially in PvP, NG+ and beyond? In DkS1 it was useless and in PvP in DkS2 I didn't notice much difference in damage whether my opponent is naked or wearing Havel armor.

Your not lying I've had a bit more success than you have but I've been 2 handing it in PvP.

Big weapons are designed to be used 2H and they are usually better that way.

How does the PvP matchmaking work specifically in the arenas - is it the same soul memory matching as the main game?

After half a dozen characters and platinuming the game I still haven't touched pvp outside being invaded. Don't want to bother messing around in it with my starting level cleric with a +3 Mace if I'm going to get matched with SL350 players!

Hey guys, made a new acc and decided to go INT.

What staff should I be looking to invest into early game? And which spells?

I know of the Lion set for faster casting.

Stick with you sorcerer chest piece it grants you some good elemental resistance for the get go, try to go for the alva set if you are in trouble with physical enemies and save four boss souls and trade them with straid in lost bastille to get the his set and some cool spells or try to go to no man area and try to talk with the mage instructor there.

Souls arrows still are your best friends in this game,some of the utility spells are moved to mid game too so DONT, DONT try to use the homming souls arrows unless you dont have other choice, it are super slow and have a long casting time.

There is no early staff like in DS1 most of them are mid game and the one in lost bastille are more for hexes than sorceries, the best so far after the default staff is the witch staff ......so buy the cat ring and yolo to the bottom of the pit in Majula and kill the giants hidding in the black gultch to get they key, warp to majula, go to the pit and open a door to get the staff, it will be you best staff till staff of wisdom

maomaoIYP

Very nice!
I have yet to try some armor but I can't allow myself to dump points into that *useless* stat (vitality or whatever it's called in the English version).

I have a serious question though. Do you find defense makes difference? Especially in PvP, NG+ and beyond? In DkS1 it was useless and in PvP in DkS2 I didn't notice much difference in damage whether my opponent is naked or wearing Havel armor.

Yeah it makes a world of difference in PvP actually. Poise isn't useless at such high numbers too, getting a hit in with a great hammer while tanking a single hit can make or break the match. This character of mine is at SL 230 with 13 million SM, so everyone is literally running overpowered builds. I cast great magic barrier at the beginning of a match and I can tank a lot of hits. It's also very noticeable when I play against fully upgraded havel dudes, they can consistently shrug off shots from avelyn very easily.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Watched a PVP live stream last night of a dude in fully upgraded havels who dumped points into VIG, VIT and ADA and was using dual upgraded/imbued avelins. I was shocked how often he was winning arena matches and invasions.

Someone actually found a way to turn dark souls into COD. I shut off the stream in disgust.

Soulhouf

Yeah it makes a world of difference in PvP actually. Poise isn't useless at such high numbers too, getting a hit in with a great hammer while tanking a single hit can make or break the match. This character of mine is at SL 230 with 13 million SM, so everyone is literally running overpowered builds. I cast great magic barrier at the beginning of a match and I can tank a lot of hits. It's also very noticeable when I play against fully upgraded havel dudes, they can consistently shrug off shots from avelyn very easily.

This character has ~14M SM (SL170) and I noticed that there are many players who are running in full Havel but I was doing around 500 damage to them with my Zweihander which means they are usually dead after 4-5 swings.

Without increasing my vitality I can stay under 50% equip load with a Zweihander and another weapon and have 110 agility which gives me a lot of invincibility frames.
The downside is that I have to be almost naked to maintain that mobility that's why I asked.

With that said, I noticed that defense/poise makes a huge difference against projectile like you mentioned but that's the only thing I think.
I may be wrong...

Stick with you sorcerer chest piece it grants you some good elemental resistance for the get go, try to go for the alva set if you are in trouble with physical enemies and save four boss souls and trade them with straid in lost bastille to get the his set and some cool spells or try to go to no man area and try to talk with the mage instructor there.

Souls arrows still are your best friends in this game,some of the utility spells are moved to mid game too so DONT, DONT try to use the homming souls arrows unless you dont have other choice, it are super slow and have a long casting time.

There is no early staff like in DS1 most of them are mid game and the one in lost bastille are more for hexes than sorceries, the best so far after the default staff is the witch staff ......so buy the cat ring and yolo to the bottom of the pit in Majula and kill the giants hidding in the black gultch to get they key, warp to majula, go to the pit and open a door to get the staff, it will be you best staff till staff of wisdom

Thanks! :)

After running a DEX build, my second character was STR/FTH. Now I started a third character and want to go Dark caster and possibly use a Mundane weapon. What are good hexes to use? I have Dark Orb right now, are the hexes that cost souls to use any good?

Feindflug

Atmosphere and map design? Probably. Unfortunately the combat system in DaS1 is still miles behind DaS2.

I was mainly comparing the first two games but yeah I totally agree that there are changes combat-wise in DSII (especially on PvP as you already mentioned above) that are definitely an improvement.

BTW guys do we have a clear answer on what Adaptability improves? does a higher adaptability stat means more i-frames & quicker responses like drinking from Estus/raising a shield?

Top Bottom