• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Minamu

After running a DEX build, my second character was STR/FTH. Now I started a third character and want to go Dark caster and possibly use a Mundane weapon. What are good hexes to use? I have Dark Orb right now, are the hexes that cost souls to use any good?
I saw a speedrunner beat the grand dragon with one climax and two grand resonant souls. The dragon didn't even have time to get off the ground, literally. So yeah they're pretty good xD

Soulhouf

Another thing that shows how broken (in a bad way) the scaling system is. How comes that a Great Club+10 (A str scaling) with 30 str, the attack bonus doesn't change whether I 1H or 2H it?

Another thing that shows how broken (in a bad way) the scaling system is. How comes that a Great Club+10 (A str scaling) with 30 str, the attack bonus doesn't change whether I 1H or 2H it?

It should deal more damage, it doesn't show on the stats screen.

I thought damage scaling with 2 handed wielding was removed, but you just get to meet the stat req. and deal more poise damage. I'll have to test the damage later.

I thought damage scaling with 2 handed wielding was removed, but you just get to meet the stat req. and deal more poise damage. I'll have to test the damage later.

I'm positive you get a damage bonus for two handing. It's probably not based on the strength scaling, maybe a flat bonus.

LiK

it definitely deals more damage 2H. i tested it.

Sullichin

I'm positive you get a damage bonus for two handing. It's probably not based on the strength scaling, maybe a flat bonus.

Yup. Two hand attacks are just stronger in general now, they don't seem to be separately affected by scaling. I actually think this is a good change. In DS1 it's pointless to go above 27STR if you're only going to 2 hand a 40STR weapon. In DS2 you actually notice your damage go up.

Just got the Black Dragon Greatsword from the Dragon covenant. Some questions:

- I got 30 duel wins to get rank 3 and this sword... is there any reason to keep going with this covenant? Or is that it?

- The sword has no scaling. Does that mean turning it mundane will make it useful? I'm using a Mastodon Greatsword +10 currently, but would love to use this if mundane will make it viable. (Or is it raw?)

- The items I got that turn me into a dragon... are they infinite use?

Thanks, bros!

Soulhouf

it definitely deals more damage 2H. i tested it.

Yup. Two hand attacks are just stronger in general now, they don't seem to be separately affected by scaling. I actually think this is a good change. In DS1 it's pointless to go above 27STR if you're only going to 2 hand a 40STR weapon. In DS2 you actually notice your damage go up.

In Dark Souls, even without the str scaling you deal more damage when 2H a weapon but in addition to that your str is multiplied by 1.5 and thus the scaling bonus, which made sens.

Now everything increases the same way when 2H, str scaling or not. It doesn't make sens if you ask me.

AngryMoth

Was thinking switching from black dragon greatsword to rulers sword but I am really disappointed by its 2h moveset.

Also, just found out you get bonfire ascetics for invasions in the dark chasm. This is going to make farming so much easier, I just got 50 effigies from majula in 15 minutes!

Mistel

Banned
Just got the Black Dragon Greatsword from the Dragon covenant. Some questions:

- I got 30 duel wins to get rank 3 and this sword... is there any reason to keep going with this covenant? Or is that it?

- The sword has no scaling. Does that mean turning it mundane will make it useful? I'm using a Mastodon Greatsword +10 currently, but would love to use this if mundane will make it viable. (Or is it raw?)

- The items I got that turn me into a dragon... are they infinite use?

Thanks, bros!
Final covenant reward so you can leave if you would like to. Turn the greatsword into a raw weapon it's not got much going for it other than it's reach really so you might as well get as much damage as possible from it.

And both items are infinite use.

zma1013

Was thinking switching from black dragon greatsword to rulers sword but I am really disappointed by its 2h moveset.

Also, just found out you get bonfire ascetics for invasions in the dark chasm. This is going to make farming so much easier, I was about to get 50 effigies from majula in 15 minutes!

Oh wait, u can get invaded IN the chasm? What kind of monsters would do this?

AngryMoth

Final covenant reward so you can leave if you would like to. Turn the greatsword into a raw weapon it's not got much going for it other than it's reach really so you might as well get as much damage as possible from it.
Disagree, infuse it with dark and using resonant weapon it's one of the best weapons I've found, particularly if you use spices so you don't have to put much into int/faith. Has a great moveset too.
Oh wait, u can get invaded IN the chasm? What kind of monsters would do this?
Me! It's not too mean though because the enemies also attack invaders.

Disagree, infuse it with dark and using resonant weapon it's one of the best weapons I've found, particularly if you use spices so you don't have to put much into int/faith. Has a great moveset too..

Forgot to mention I'm a STR build... INT AND FTH are 10 each, but STR is 50. Can I still use it effectively?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Great combustion is my favorite spell to troll pvp with. Can't say how many times someone has rolled straight into it trying to hit me.

AngryMoth

Forgot to mention I'm a STR build... INT AND FTH are 10 each, but STR is 50. Can I still use it effectively?
Well you could if you spend every spice you find on resonant weapon which is actually for the best since it doesn't scale anyway, but yeah other than that it's probably not worth using for you.

ShadeGlacier

Neo Member
For this build I'm planning to be a STR/FTH, and one of my greatest flaws when it comes to allocating stats, is that I neglect VIT, END, and ADP. How much should I level these three stats? Let's say by level 150.

mattp

so am i the only person who feels like they just hit a brick wall when they got to the dragon shrine? i don't know why i'm having so much trouble with this area. i feel like if i fuck up once i get wrecked

Mistel

Banned
Is MIrrah Greatsword any good for dex builds? I noticed I got access to it really early
It's got A scaling from base so it's worth it if you like the moveset it's got.
love how the asassinations are like Halo reach starting with a low melee hit then the assassination starts
halo16rlf.gif

Like so?
Geez. What weapons are those?
Those are a pair of grand lances you get one in the memory of Orro.

AngryMoth

Geez. What weapons are those?
Grand lances and they have an infinite stunlock, needs to be fixed. They're actually very easy to dodge if you know what you're doing but only a few people have beaten me with this build so far.

Ever since going to 20 adp I have been finding it very easy to dominate magic users. When you see them casting a spell just run at them and roll through it and use the rolling attack.
so am i the only person who feels like they just hit a brick wall when they got to the dragon shrine? i don't know why i'm having so much trouble with this area. i feel like if i fuck up once i get wrecked
Yeah that area is really tough. The mace guys basically have infinite endurance, they killed me so many times. Good luck!
Just wait until you try the boss... ;)

maomaoIYP

This character has ~14M SM (SL170) and I noticed that there are many players who are running in full Havel but I was doing around 500 damage to them with my Zweihander which means they are usually dead after 4-5 swings.

Without increasing my vitality I can stay under 50% equip load with a Zweihander and another weapon and have 110 agility which gives me a lot of invincibility frames.
The downside is that I have to be almost naked to maintain that mobility that's why I asked.

With that said, I noticed that defense/poise makes a huge difference against projectile like you mentioned but that's the only thing I think.
I may be wrong...
There's a very good chance that those people who are running full Havel's set at that level don't have it fully upgraded, which costs a whopping 60 twinkling. That puts them at roughly 700 defense across the board. My experience is that you need a very large difference in numbers to notice a difference, a dude having no armor is going to take a lot more damage than one wearing a full un-upgraded Havel's set, who will take more damage than one wearing a full upgraded Havel's set. Also, all dat poise will let you shrug off minor stuff.
That said, versus someone who hasn't casted great magic barrier I usually clear about 1k damage per hit with the sacred chime hammer, all that extra defense will allow someone to survive one extra hit (50VGR and various bonuses put players at just above 2K hp), which sometimes is all you need to turn the match around.

BTW guys do we have a clear answer on what Adaptability improves? does a higher adaptability stat means more i-frames & quicker responses like drinking from Estus/raising a shield?
My own testing, by no means conclusive, but I'm quite certain of the results:
1) more i-frames when rolling
2) faster estus drinking
3) faster backstab animation
4) raising shield is not affected

My eyes seem to tell me that rolling seems....smoother? Or faster? But that might just be a result of confirmation bias.

I'm a bit bored of my uber FTH setup and Defender Greatsword, Gaf. I have 10 Soul Vizzlers, so I was thinking a respec is in order.

Would you recommend the Dark path as a good shake-up of sorts? I have 200 SLs to play with.

• What are the must-have hexes/spells/weapon buffs?
  • What's the most effective scaling approach for Dark BNS? I understand that it's not as simple as, say, jacking FTH for Lightning BNS.
  • I'm keen on the idea of dual-wielding some thrusting swords infused with Dark; maybe some Espada Roperas. Thoughts?

Cheers, Bearers of.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Is the defender greatsword worth spending petrified dragon bones to upgrade for a strength/faith build? I'm bored with the lighting claymore and want to try a different sword, plus it already has lightning. Don't want to use anything slower than greatswords.

Is the defender greatsword worth spending petrified dragon bones to upgrade for a strength/faith build? I'm bored with the lighting claymore and want to try a different sword, plus it already has lightning. Don't want to use anything slower than greatswords.

Absolutely. Very good moveset, not too heavy at all and decent damage output.

Guys, help!

Trying to get Benhart achievement. I spoke to him at all locations and used him to beat Mirror Knight, Throne Duo and Giant Lord. I went back to memory to speak with him and his dialogue isn't changing. Did I do something wrong?

Guys, help!

Trying to get Benhart achievement. I spoke to him at all locations and used him to beat Mirror Knight, Throne Duo and Giant Lord. I went back to memory to speak with him and his dialogue isn't changing. Did I do something wrong?

Throne Duo doesn't count, Nashandra does.

Throne Duo doesn't count, Nashandra does.

As does the Prowling Magus.

For my cheevo did Prowling Magus, Looking Glass Knight and Giant Lord. Even with the new buffs from the latest patch, the dude is still an idiot. On NG++ he literally stood still and let the Giant Lord repeatedly step on him. Barely, barely won with him alive. The dummy.

As does the Prowling Magus.

For my cheevo did Prowling Magus, Looking Glass Knight and Giant Lord. Even with the new buffs from the latest patch, the dude is still an idiot. On NG++ he literally stood still and let the Giant Lord repeatedly step on him. Barely, barely won with him will alice. The dummy.

I used bonfire ascetic on Magus to get the third victory for Ben The Hitman Hart.

maomaoIYP

I'm a bit bored of my uber FTH setup and Defender Greatsword, Gaf. I have 10 Soul Vizzlers, so I was thinking a respec is in order.

Would you recommend the Dark path as a good shake-up of sorts? I have 200 SLs to play with.

• What are the must-have hexes/spells/weapon buffs?
  • What's the most effective scaling approach for Dark BNS? I understand that it's not as simple as, say, jacking FTH for Lightning BNS.
  • I'm keen on the idea of dual-wielding some thrusting swords infused with Dark; maybe some Espada Roperas. Thoughts?

Cheers, Bearers of.
If you have enough levels (you should, at SL 200) to go 30/30 or 40/40 INT/FAI while still having all the necessary stats for the other stuff dark is always the best way to go because it provides the maximum elemental defense of all kinds and at the same time you can freely cast almost all spells from every school.
If you're going for PvE, dark orb, dark hail, great resonant soul, are all useful. GRS costs 500 per cast. For buffs, dark weapon is free while resonant weapon costs 2000, but gives 50% bonus to dark.
For PvP go with affinity, GRS, and resonant weapon. I like to bring great magic barrier, soul spear and wrath of god too. You might want to get a black witch's staff so you don't have to carry both a staff and a chime.
The best staff for dark is sunset. The best chime is chime of want (50 FAI), followed by caitha's.
If you're playing in the arenas you might not want to use resonant weapon since no souls are earned.
Any weapon that gives a substantial dark bonus upon infusion is fine, but if you're going for dual weapons remember only one of them can be buffed with a spell.

If you have enough levels (you should, at SL 200) to go 30/30 or 40/40 INT/FAI while still having all the necessary stats for the other stuff dark is always the best way to go because it provides the maximum elemental defense of all kinds and at the same time you can freely cast almost all spells from every school.
If you're going for PvE, dark orb, dark hail, great resonant soul, are all useful. GRS costs 500 per cast. For buffs, dark weapon is free while resonant weapon costs 2000, but gives 50% bonus to dark.
For PvP go with affinity, GRS, and resonant weapon. I like to bring great magic barrier, soul spear and wrath of god too. You might want to get a black witch's staff so you don't have to carry both a staff and a chime.
The best staff for dark is sunset. The best chime is chime of want (50 FAI), followed by caitha's.
If you're playing in the arenas you might not want to use resonant weapon since no souls are earned.
Any weapon that gives a substantial dark bonus upon infusion is fine, but if you're going for dual weapons remember only one of them can be buffed with a spell.

Man, thank you. You're certainly a wealth of knowledge.

So, I'm guessing 30/30 is the soft cap for Dark BNS? I have the Dragon Chime. Would a Dark infused iteration of that cut it?

maomaoIYP

Man, thank you. You're certainly a wealth of knowledge.

So, I'm guessing 30/30 is the soft cap for Dark BNS? I have the Dragon Chime. Would a Dark infused iteration of that cut it?
Dragon chime is stronger for lightning rather than dark and requires 50FAI. 30/30 is the soft cap, so if you want a chime use a dark infused caithas. It's upgraded with titanite and you should have one from drangleic castle.
Edit: you're welcome! I can't get enough of this game even after building 8 characters.....

Dragon chime is stronger for lightning rather than dark and requires 50FAI. 30/30 is the soft cap, so if you want a chime use a dark infused caithas. It's upgraded with titanite and you should have one from drangleic castle.
Edit: you're welcome! I can't get enough of this game even after building 8 characters.....

Awesome-o. Well, I have an abundance of materials, so I guess I'll upgrade that Caitha's. Re: the Chime of Want, seeing as it requires 40FTH, would you recommend also bumping INT up to 40, or keeping it at 30 and putting the points elsewhere?

EDIT: I guess it depends largely on the hexes/sorceries you want to use, hey? I should probably also mention that a build more catered to PvP efficacy is what I'm after.

maomaoIYP

Awesome-o. Well, I have an abundance of materials, so I guess I'll upgrade that Caitha's. Re: the Chime of Want, seeing as it requires 40FTH, would you recommend also bumping INT up to 40, or keeping it at 30 and putting the points elsewhere?

EDIT: I guess it depends largely on the hexes/sorceries you want to use, hey? I should probably also mention that a build more catered to PvP efficacy is what I'm after.
It depends on the spells you want and if you have enough points in the other stats. I would say 30 would probably make a more balanced build, but if you already have 50VGR, 30END, 30VIT etc I'd say why not?
Even if you don't have 40 you should already have enough spices to lower those few spells to below 30.

Top Bottom