• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

nowai

Is the defender greatsword worth spending petrified dragon bones to upgrade for a strength/faith build? I'm bored with the lighting claymore and want to try a different sword, plus it already has lightning. Don't want to use anything slower than greatswords.

I love it. Paired with the Bracing Knuckle Ring +2, the durability loss from the L2 buff is negligible.

I have +5 and infused with lighting. My lightning Ruler's Sword with 2 million souls has more AR on the paper doll, but Defender's hits for more in real world use.

What is the exact deal with Rusted Coins? I've read that they raise your discovery by 1%, which is totally balls, if true. Also, the accompanying noise/visual effect when you consume one only occurs half the time for me, with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

Rusted Coin...

More like...

Busted Coin...

malcher

Finished NG yesterday, wanted to share my impressions:
- the game seemed easier than Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls
- I am not sure if lifegems were a good addition. Having them lowered the value of Estus Flasks
- loved the QoL features: quicktravel, simplified upgrades system
- was magic so OP in previous games? It was the first time I used spells other than Heal and oh my god, they are powerful (and I did not even got the best ones, just Lightning Spear and Great Lighting Spear)

Feindflug

My own testing, by no means conclusive, but I'm quite certain of the results:
1) more i-frames when rolling
2) faster estus drinking
3) faster backstab animation
4) raising shield is not affected

My eyes seem to tell me that rolling seems....smoother? Or faster? But that might just be a result of confirmation bias.

Faster Estus drinking was the most obvious change to me too, haven't tried to check the backstab speed though but it's good to know that it's improved.

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Soulhouf

Between being sandwiched by the host and his ganksquad when I spawn and chugging estus, I had enough of this.
After all the jerks I ran into in duels, I always host PvP sessions from now on.

Many of the Dragon covenant members are lame unfortunately since they can heal, some people are abusing that privilege. These also are banned.
With all that shit out, I finally had some good duels last night. It still sucks though how some people behave online. I have the impression of playing with some unmannered kids :(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hilarious moments co-oping with a friend of mine this week. He's pretty new to the Souls series and a little intimidated by the supposed impenetrability/difficulty, so I said I'd co-op with him and help bring him up to speed. We could only communicate via text which obviously caused a slight delay in relaying important information... like don't smash the barrels outside the Cardinal Tower shortcut or don't run through the gate near Pate without me.

It was more like Dad's Army Souls.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So like old man souls but even slower and more senility?

More like a Souls themed situational comedy with moments of very violent and very stupid slapstick. If I had a capture card, I'd make a series out of it.

Believe me, if you think I'm frustrating to play with you'd be pulling your teeth out in a game with my buddy. I love the little fucker to bits so I find his Leeroy-esque shenanigans most endearing.

ElFly

What is the exact deal with Rusted Coins? I've read that they raise your discovery by 1%, which is totally balls, if true. Also, the accompanying noise/visual effect when you consume one only occurs half the time for me, with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

Rusted Coin...

More like...

Busted Coin...

Whaaat???!

*checks*

well, one of the wikis says that it improves the chances of getting a rare item from the crows.

Mistel

Banned
More like a Souls themed situational comedy with moments of very violent and very stupid slapstick. If I had a capture card, I'd make a series out of it.

Believe me, if you think I'm frustrating to play with you'd be pulling your teeth out in a game with my buddy. I love the little fucker to bits so I find his Leeroy-esque shenanigans most endearing.
So I expect several incredibly violent deaths occurring within jolly cooperation. I'd rather not pull my teeth out myself.

Why is Vendrick naked?
Why aren't you?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying a DEX build, is it viable? I've read that Dex builds aren't worth in DS2

I'm doing alright, but I've overspent in DEX (50). Blacksteel Katana and Black Knight Halberd are fairly good DPS and DMG wise respectively. You might want to consider dual wielding too, that can increase your damage output nicely.

Also, DEX buffs your poison damage. Spotted Whip and Manslayer are excellent for poisoning, especially when imbued with poison stone. Scares the crap out of invaders.

Unless you're exclusively using the Blacksteel Katana, pure dex is not worth it.

It's definitely one of the best but there are other options available.

So I expect several incredibly violent deaths occurring within jolly cooperation. I'd rather not pull my teeth out myself.

His first reaction upon seeing the Heide Knight under the tree in FoFG was to stab it... even though there were still three hollows running around and a fourth pelting him with arrows. Credit where credit is due, he's got some serious balls. XD

GulAtiCa

Taking on the King with my Hex character with 4 Giant Souls. Do-able, but sure is hard. Should prob get my Agility up some more. I now nearly have every hex I might need.

My Pyro/Poison build character is going well. Taking her to shrine of amana now. But since I'm a Pyro build.. I think I'm going to invest in a bow. lol. Missing a few spells on her. Also started to build up her poison stats. Been testing her out in poison form in Bell towers a little. Won a few, lost several. Apparently using Toxic gas is different resist staff bar, so I need to stick with just poison gas.

For the Moon Butterfly set, do anyone know if the poison effect stacks? Like if I wear all 4 (ignoring shield), will it fill up their poison bar 4x faster? Or at same rate if I only used 1?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
RE: Dex builds. I am finding a lot of success with a Warped Sword +5 as well. It's got a fast and nimble moveset like a scimitar alongside high scaling. Since mine is uninfused I also use resin on it which makes it even better.
Between being sandwiched by the host and his ganksquad when I spawn and chugging estus, I had enough of this.
After all the jerks I ran into in duels, I always host PvP sessions from now on.

Many of the Dragon covenant members are lame unfortunately since they can heal, some people are abusing that privilege. These also are banned.
With all that shit out, I finally had some good duels last night. It still sucks though how some people behave online. I have the impression of playing with some unmannered kids :(
Lyod's talisman. Use it.

Anyone know if warping out and back again bypasses the cool down period of rat bro invasions? It seems like there's a 5-10 min cooldown that could be filled with another easy lockstone/rat tail freebie.

Booties

Banned

I love speed over strength. Just boost your poise and use a falcion. Poop on slow-pokes with big swords.

Any one have tips for the smelter demon? I still can't beat that thing. Solo only please.

vvvvvv I can't believe I missed that. What's the closest bon fire?

Mistel

Banned
I love speed over strength. Just boost your poise and use a falcion. Poop on slow-pokes with big swords.

Any one have tips for the smelter demon? I still can't beat that thing. Solo only please.

Closest bonfire is ordeals end. Use a gyrm great shield or just hug him with Lucatiel as bait.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

After he does his lunging attack, back the fuck away. That AOE is the #1 cause of death in smelter demon fights.

Yea Smelter is pretty easy to dodge, but ^^^^ is correct. As soon as he gets to level 3 charge you need to de lock and run away when he leaps.

Edit: I used the falcion a lot too, but for that fight, you might want to consider enchanting a mace for some more blunt damage and two handing it for more damage since you'll only be able to get 1-2 hits off at a time, and you're right, falcion with 2 hits isn't much.

maomaoIYP

I think I am quite well. I get hit by his sword more than the AOE though. The fight just takes so long and I make a mistake. I think it's so long because I don't do much damage with my Falchion +9 against his armor.

That's because slash type weapons are piss against heavy armor. Switch to the free blacksmith club you found in mcduff's room and see if it makes a difference.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! That with the Rat ring should go nicely (I heard it adds +50 poison to poison weapons)

That's the way to do it.

I have the poison imbued Spotted whip in my off hand and a poisoned imbued Manslayer in t'other. I'm still getting used to it but you can poison people extremely quickly.

After he does his lunging attack, back the fuck away. That AOE is the #1 cause of death in smelter demon fights.

Also, you using a shield that blocks 100% of fire damage? I typically used the Gyrm Greatshield. A bit heavy, but nullifies that fire damage when blocking his attacks. And, if you can, summon some folks in. Fight is made exponentially easier when you have a couple other people in there tankin' and distractin' him.

SoldnerKei

Spotted Whip seems like a high value poison weapon, and about to get it too. Be interesting to try it out soon.

I felt pretty much a Belmont with that weapon, attack animation looks so fancy

yesterday in Huntsman's Copse not a footprint to be seen, looking for co-operation but it looks like it's only me...

errgh ok, that place in NG+ was dead for me, I could help people but I was able to summon just one buddy for the boss, I thought NG+ was easier to reach people :c

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's the only option as far as pure damage is concerned, everything else is either poison or bleed-based, which can be countered by consumables.

Black Knight Halberd, even without boosting FTH, does excellent phys damage. I haven't tried it, but aren't any of the Curved Sword a good DEX weapon?

Inskipp

Black Knight Halberd, even without boosting FTH, does excellent phys damage. I haven't tried it, but isn't the Curved Sword a good DEX weapon?
BKH relies more on its high base damage and C STR scaling, the actual scaling from the DEX depratment isn't that high.

Which curved sword are you referring to?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
BKH relies more on its high base damage and C STR scaling, the actual scaling from the DEX depratment isn't that high.

Which curved sword are you referring to?

I thought it was a weapon called curved sword XD

BKH is doing me alright and I've got something like 50 DEX and only 27 STR.

The other katanas are pretty good too. They may sacrifice 30-50 dmg but they all have different uses (poison, shield pierce, extra range).

Top Bottom