• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

maomaoIYP

Yeah and that what makes these weapons awesome especially in PvP.
More so if the swing is horizontal! Still rather tricky with a vertical one. Also I really wish they had put as much effort into designing the great hammers as they did for the ultra greatswords.

Soulhouf

More so if the swing is horizontal! Still rather tricky with a vertical one. Also I really wish they had put as much effort into designing the great hammers as they did for the ultra greatswords.

Yep! I'm starting to get good at aiming my vertical slashes in PvP. It's a mind game and you need to anticipate your opponent movement. And when it works, it's so satisfying to stomp someone who thought he was getting to dodge the vertical hit (they often don't roll against pokes and vertical attacks but just dodge).

I had something strange happen to me last night. I invaded someone and saw an IA red phantom trying to fight something I couldn't see. A few seconds later I was hit by 3 successive bolts fired from an Avelyn. Nobody was there I could see but there was definitely someone because I was hearing his footsteps and weapon.
I ended up being killed by an invisible player and had no chance to even land a hit on him.
Is there a ring of some sort that makes you invisible? Something like the ring of fog in DkS1. Unlike the ring of fog, in my case my opponent was completely invisible.

Yep! I'm starting to get good at aiming my vertical slashes in PvP. It's a mind game and you need to anticipate your opponent movement. And when it works, it's so satisfying to stomp someone who thought he was getting to dodge the vertical hit (they often don't roll against pokes and vertical attacks but just dodge).

I had something strange happen to me last night. I invaded someone and saw an IA red phantom trying to fight something I couldn't see. A few seconds later I was hit by 3 successive bolts fired from an Avelyn. Nobody was there I could see but there was definitely someone because I was hearing his footsteps and weapon.
I ended up being killed by an invisible player and had no chance to even land a hit on him.
Is there a ring of some sort that makes you invisible? Something like the ring of fog in DkS1. Unlike the ring of fog, in my case my opponent was completely invisible.

There's evidently an "invisible phantom" bug. You can see it in this montage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shaf7KQoE98

Holy crap. Some of these bugs are hilarious O_O
That bounce on the dragon was pretty epic.
Yeah, Sunlight Blade compiles some great "Top 10" lists for Dark Souls and now Dark Souls II.

I loved the "pro gamer" who didn't know about Seed of Tree of Giants. :D

I like the 'free attack' and lock-on combination.
I wish there was a menu option to toggle how it worked. I prefer Dark Souls style. Because of it, I don't use weapons with vertical attacks, I use horizontal only.

maomaoIYP

Good job it's a great feeling :)

One hour later and still can't replicate that feeling. =(
I don't understand how I've seen some videos of players blocking 2 hits then parrying the third. I have a max upgraded defender's shield and the blocks push me too far back and I'm stuck in the blocking animation during the recoil.

ibaPbjXa1iDgBw.gif

I went HAM last night.

- Killed Ancient Dragon on first try using Big Toe method (STR class w/ Mastodon +10). Didn't do anything special, just stuck to the feet. He did use his flying flame move once, but I easily avoided it by running to the edge of the arena (thought this would've killed me for sure, the way people have been talking about it.)

- With 5 Giant Souls in my possession, I went after Vendrick. I took him down easily too. I had a brief scare when he jumped to the other side of the arena and hit me with a lunge, but I hid behind him and got an estus in.

- Went to Shrine of Amana and got the King's set and his soul. This set is amazing looking. I'm using it for sure. I didn't really like the crown, so I'm using a Drakekeeper's helm with it. I think I look really awesome.

One question: now that I've done all this, I know I have to go for
Nashandra
in Throne of Want, but how are you supposed to figure that out? I accidentally dropped my summon sign down to help people with the Throne duo and got summoned for
Nashandra
instead, essentially spoiling that for me (I was pissed at the time).

Nashandra
in Throne of Want, but how are you supposed to figure that out? I accidentally dropped my summon sign down to help people with the Throne duo and got summoned for
Nashandra
When you have the Giant's Kinship, the Emerald Herald will be inside the door to the Throne of Want and tell you.

Leunam

Nashandra
Nashandra

The exact same thing happened to me.

GulAtiCa

Finally got the Spotted Whip and got it fully upgraded and infused with poison to +5. Does a lot of poison damage. I've been poisoning people pretty fast. I'll have to get my Dex up to like 38 to power stance it. Should increase poison a lot due to increase Poison bonus. I'll be heading back for a 2nd spotted whip today or whenever I next I play this character again.

Poisoning people is fun. Only bad side is people will try to heal themselves. I need to be sure not to deplete my stamina so I can stop them from healing. Oh well, I just poison them right afterwards. lol

When you have the Giant's Kinship, the Emerald Herald will be inside the door to the Throne of Want and tell you.

Yeah, I have that. The description says, "Opens the door below the castle" or something right? So I guess I'm supposed to head there after reading the description and then see Emerald Herald and know I'm going the right way?

Another question: When are you supposed to kill the Throne Duo? I killed them immediately after getting the King's Ring since that was the closest door. Was that too early? What happens if you go to the Throne of Want to fight
Nashandra
without ever fighting them? Do you just never fight them?

The exact same thing happened to me.

It was horrible! I was like, "oh no... what have I done."

Another question: When are you supposed to kill the Throne Duo? I killed them immediately after getting the King's Ring since that was the closest door. Was that too early? What happens if you go to the Throne of Want to fight
Nashandra
without ever fighting them? Do you just never fight them?
If you have the Giant's Kinship when you first go there, you have to fight Throne Duo and Nashandra back to back, like an endurance run.

Badgerst3

Strangely king Vendrick is kicking my melee ass. I lock on behind his legs but at some point he jumps/rotates his hits to take me out.

I have 4 giant souls, does 5 make it considerably easier?

Sorta dreading my last 20 tries at ancient dragon but really want his shield.

Also- no apparent way to summon for the king fight huh?

If you have the Giant's Kinship when you first go there, you have to fight Throne Duo and Nashandra back to back, like an endurance run.

Holy crap... Throne Duo gave me some trouble, wouldn't want to do that.

Yeah the host let the intro play out and I thought, "who the fuck is this?"

As soon as I saw her name above the health bar I knew it was the queen and I was like, "goddammit."

Strangely king Vendrick is kicking my melee ass. I lock on behind his legs but at some point he jumps/rotates his hits to take me out.

I didn't try him with 4 souls, but I beat him first try with 5 after I beat Ancient Dragon. I'm currently using Throne Defender shield (or is it Throne Watcher? Whatever is a mid-size shield with 100 block). Is Vendrick's shield better than that?

GulAtiCa

Each Giant Soul cuts his defense in half. So right now he has 2x defense. With all 5, he will have 1x defense. Makes it more manageable.

Arjen

As far as i know you can't summon for Vendrick. 4 is totally doable, you have to be sort of lucky he doesn't do his jump.

Soulhouf

I beat him with 2 Giant Souls (I had no idea that they were important) pure melee, so definitely you should be able to beat him much faster with 4.

lol, the legs straggling is the best part!

Exactly XD

Nashandra
Nashandra

Hahahaha the same happened to me it really spoiled me the final boss.

Actually after the Ancient dragon tells you what to do there is no clear indication of where to go ingame after the memories.

Hahahaha the same happened to me it really spoiled me the final boss.

Actually after the Ancient dragon tells you what to do there is no clear indication of where to go ingame after the memories.

I managed to avoid guide/wikis/spoilers for so long, even with being active in this thread. Ironic that the person to finally spoil something for me (the final boss, nonetheless) was myself.

GulAtiCa

I ended up having same issue too. Though not really with spoilers, as I already knew the final boss/etc. But when putting down summons, I was really confused on why the boss in that area kept switching. :lol

Put Prowling Magus in the worthless boss column. That might have been worse than the skeleton lords, at least that had the wheelie skeletons...lol.

Put Prowling Magus in the worthless boss column. That might have been worse than the skeleton lords, at least that had the wheelie skeletons...lol.
Yeah it's not even a fun fight, over before you even get a look at the enemies. One of the fights I wish had a cutscene just so you could get a look at what they're doing before you interupt, seeing them all turn around as you walk in would've been funny. :)

I like the Skeleton Lord boss even though it's easy, it seems Souls-y and logical. I like to do it as early as possible since it opens up Cloanne and the loot in Harvest Valley onwards, I think maybe that's why it's easy?

SoldnerKei

I like the Skeleton Lord boss even though it's easy, it seems Souls-y and logical. I like to do it as early as possible since it opens up Cloanne and the loot in Harvest Valley onwards, I think maybe that's why it's easy?

I always assumed Skeleton Lord was a hard fight, since in this game is usually you vs mob = not good, but using a ultra great sword the fight was pretty easy, thou I summoned one dude... yeah Prowling Magus was a joke, I thought he was a miniboss

I'm so desperate for DS2 talk at work right now that I'm just looking at random items in the wiki and refreshing this thread like mad. I'm going home to beat the game tonight (just have to kill
Nashandra
) and then I'm going to wrap up the assassination quest line and I guess go to NG+.

SoldnerKei

is there any point of killing Ancient Dragon in NG+ since you have 4 souls of giants already... or you don't get souls from the memories? I didn't kill it because he was an npc, I assume most npcs are good fellas lol

GulAtiCa

Nearly 300 hours in across like 4+ characters, still can't get enough of this game. Can't wait for some DLC. :lol

is there any point of killing Ancient Dragon in NG+ since you have 4 souls of giants already... or you don't get souls from the memories? I didn't kill it because he was an npc, I assume most npcs are good fellas lol

You get the 5th soul from defeating him.

GulAtiCa

yeah, but in NG+ I have 4 souls just as I begin the game, so should I expect to get other 4 souls again in this run or they are unique items and I have to kill AD if I want the 5th?
Not sure. Likely you won't get a 5th Giant Soul from anyone but the A.D. But I am unsure

Oh yeah, what did you lose in N+ apart from the key items?

Just key items. And really "anything" that acts like a key too. Items that open paths or unblock NPCs/etc are not with you. So any "key" disappears.

Soulhouf

Nearly 300 hours in across like 4+ characters, still can't get enough of this game. Can't wait for some DLC. :lol

300 hours are nothing.
I guess I'm spoiled after spending so much time on the previous games, but still I will feel that this game has failed horribly if I quit before the 1000 hours milestone.

Just key items. And really "anything" that acts like a key too. Items that open paths or unblock NPCs/etc are not with you. So any "key" disappears.

So I will lose the branch thing to unpetrifie people, what about the amber to make the blacksmith talk, the pharros keys in your inventory and the pharros keys used

Top Bottom