• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Fair point.

Anyone got some numbers on the name engraved ring? I'm interested to see how the thing affects what phantoms a host can summon.
It just matches you up with other players who use the ring with the same god name. Afaik it doesn't bypass the normal soul memory rules (in NG at least). From my experience I had to grind a bit when I wanted to play with a friend who was >1 mil SM in order to see his sign even with the name engraved ring.

Soulhouf

Anyone got some numbers on the name engraved ring? I'm interested to see how the thing affects what phantoms a host can summon.

I always use it when I play with a friend. We agree on which god to use and it always works.
That way it's guaranteed that we get paired together.

----
Normally I don't ask this but I got impatient to get the Sea Bow for this character. The bonfire is already at +4 and the damn thing won't drop.
I don't want to raise the level higher because it's annoying enough like that, not to mention the invasions on top of that.
If a nice soul would give it to me, I can trade it with a valuable weapon/items.

NG+, 14M SM.

Mistel

Banned
I always use it when I play with a friend. We agree on which god to use and it always works.
What sort of range between you two? Wikidot has no numbers for it so I'm interested to see how far the range can go.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just checked its AR for my quality build (40str/40dx) and I'm getting an AR of 598, which exceeds the AR you mentioned by 48 points. Bonus scaling amounts to 148 damage, 22 of which is from the fire damage- department.

That's with 10 less dex and 23 more strength. I think it's safe to say that BKH benefits from strength far more than it does from dex, as far as pure damage goes.

Update: I'm working with DEX 50 STR 30 and 5 FTH and a BKH +3. The total AR is *drumroll* 546. 132 physical and 23 fire damage. Looks like I'm gonna be pumping a bit of STR in my near future. :)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

----
Normally I don't ask this but I got impatient to get the Sea Bow for this character. The bonfire is already at +4 and the damn thing won't drop.
I don't want to raise the level higher because it's annoying enough like that, not to mention the invasions on top of that.
If a nice soul would give it to me, I can trade it with a valuable weapon/items.

NG+, 14M SM.
I'll trade it to you if you're on PS3, send me a PM. Not sure what people see in the thing though, Hunter's blackbow is better if you have the dex (faster shot, less stamina and more damage since you can get 3 shots off) and if you don't, short bow + 10 is better IMO because it uses less stamina and is faster. The only thing sea how has going for it afaik is +5 more range which is negligible with Durgo's hat or the Hawk ring.

By the way, name engraved doesn't always work, it's bound by SM limitation as well but we aren't sure whether it stretches the limit or not. I can confirm I had a friend unable to see my sign and I was unable to see his despite having the same name with ring equipped.

Soulhouf

What sort of range between you two? Wikidot has no numbers for it so I'm interested to see how far the range can go.

I can't confirm it with numbers but it seems to be wider than the usual range.
The fact that you can easier match with someone you know alone justify the thing because it separates you from all the players who aren't using it with the same god.

@Jackben: Check your PM!

Mistel

Banned
It's bound by SM limitation as well but we aren't sure whether it stretches the limit or not. I can confirm I had a friend unable to see my sign and I was unable to see his despite having the same name with ring equipped.
I assume it stretches an arbitrary amount say like 20% or something if it does increase range.
Update: I'm working with DEX 50 STR 30 and 5 FTH and a BKH +3. The total AR is *drumroll* 546. 132 physical and 23 fire damage. Looks like I'm gonna be pumping a bit of STR in my near future. :)
Infuse with fire and pump intelligence so you get more fire damage. It would make more sense than raising strength on a sex build.

SoldnerKei

Is parrying in PvP still as sporadic and oddly-timed as it was in DS1?

I'm too scared to venture into the world of PvP parrying :(

it's quite more strict imo, there is different parrying time gaps for different weapons, so you really need to know that... personally I don't use it at all

don't be afraid to jump to PvP the worst case scenario is dying :B

don't be afraid to jump to PvP the worst case scenario is dying :B

Haha. I've done plenty of that.

And I'm all up in PvP's grill; it's great fun, even if the lag-fueled shenanigans can be extremely disheartening at times. I just need to add parries to my repertoire, right next to humiliating guard-breaks.

Currently running with a +10 Lightning Estoc for PvP. Paired with the Stone Ring, it's actually really damn awesome. There's just something so swish about thrusting swords; and the unique R2 slash that circumvent shields is handy. The only downside is that its scaling parameters are just odd. B STR scaling at +10 (C when infused), so unless you're rocking a Quality build, getting the most out of it kind of denies you the other thrusting swords.

AngryMoth

I just invading at the first bonfire in drangleic castle and somehow got summoned as a mirror squire! Didn't know that could happen

Is parrying in PvP still as sporadic and oddly-timed as it was in DS1?

I'm too scared to venture into the world of PvP parrying :(
Even more so, I wouldn't bother trying to parry to be honest, with the trashy online play it's difficult enough dodging a regular swing let alone get a well timed parry.

So Rat Covenant is just trolling basically? Lol
Basically, yes. Increase the fun by using bonfire ascetics and watch your prey shit themselves.

Mistel

Banned
So Rat Covenant is just trolling basically? Lol
Like the bell keepers it's designed to make life misery and that's barely where the fun starts.
So unless you're rocking a Quality build, getting the most out of it kind of denies you the other thrusting swords.
May I inquire to what is your build as there's no balder side sword the closest thing is an estoc. So I would like some ideas.

akira28

in NG+ is there a way to get more human effigies? I am only an SL40 in new game, but I've been invaded twice in the forest of fallen giants, and it's a pisser when I only have 5 humanity, tops.

maomaoIYP

in NG+ is there a way to get more human effigies? I am only an SL40 in new game, but I've been invaded twice in the forest of fallen giants, and it's a pisser when I only have 5 humanity, tops.

You'll end up having just over 30 in NG without any farming or purchasing.

AngryMoth

Even more so, I wouldn't bother trying to parry to be honest, with the trashy online play it's difficult enough dodging a regular swing let alone get a well timed parry.
I've seen a fair number of people who are good at it but I haven't bothered trying myself since I can barely parry in pve

Like the bell keepers it's designed to make life misery and that's barely where the fun starts.

May I inquire to what is your build as there's no balder side sword the closest thing is an estoc. So I would like some ideas.

My stats pertaining to the Estoc are 40STR, 18 DEX and 55 (I think) FTH. Lightning infused, it's got C/E scaling for STR/DEX and B for lightning BNS, so nothing flash at all.

I also crafted a vanilla +10 version and while the B STR scaling yields close to a good 100 AR more than C, the lack of lightning damage was sorely missed on first impression.

I've seen a fair number of people who are good at it but I haven't bothered trying myself since I can barely parry in pve
I'm the same, parrying feels very different in DS2 compared to DS1 so I rarely do it, just now getting to know the timings of a few enemies that I can reliably do it, but in pvp? I think you have to be psychic like good fighting game players to anticipate your opponent. That and both have the best connection ever!

So this is kind of bizarre. I was experimenting with different weapons and upgrades, I went to mcduff to check out some infusions.

My MLGS+5 has A scaling with intelligence, 380 damage, doing a faintstone infusion adds S scaling with intelligence, but it says the damage goes to 317?

Raw scaling with the MLGS+5 says it goes to 417 magic damage. I thought raw was supposed to be only physical damage?

Are the stats shown with infusions to be trusted, should I really upgrade the MLGS to raw?

maomaoIYP

So this is kind of bizarre. I was experimenting with different weapons and upgrades, I went to mcduff to check out some infusions.

My MLGS+5 has A scaling with intelligence, 380 damage, doing a faintstone infusion adds S scaling with intelligence, but it says the damage goes to 317?

Base damage is lowered, but on your equip screen look at the bonus damage from scaling, which is next to your base damage in blue. It should be a lot higher now.

Also, I thought MLGS couldn't be infused anymore? Or did they just remove the ability to be buffed?

Base damage is lowered, but on your equip screen look at the bonus damage from scaling, which is next to your base damage in blue. It should be a lot higher now.

Also, I thought MLGS couldn't be infused anymore? Or did they just remove the ability to be buffed?

I think it was just the buffing ability

Raw64life

Don't know if this happens often but I was just helping someone with the Ancient Dragon and was wailing away at his foot. When he went for the flying fire breath I got on top of his foot somehow and was flung across the stage. Luckily it was the wall side and I didn't die from it.

Farming the Aerie is so gud. Basically unlimited slabs, twinkling and p-bone. Sure, the dragons get stronger, but they sure as hell don't get any smarter.

EDIT: Also! They totally nerfed Amana's nerf! The troublesome tracking is back, but not to its full extent. Either way, it's much better.

maomaoIYP

Thoughts on an overpowered PvP build at SL150.
I've been playing this build for a while on the iron keep bridge, got my 99th dragon scale (129th actually, since I submitted 30 for the covenant) last night. It's by far the single most OP build I have, and there is no real counter for it.
VGR 40
END 20
VIT 20
ATT 10
STR 18
DEX 20
ADP 15
INT 30
FAI 30
Dark washing pole +10
Dark Caitha's chime +10
third dragon ring
clear bluestone +2
southern band +2
take whatever 4th ring and shield you like
for armor I suggest mastodon's chest, arms and leg pieces all upgraded to +10 (gives defense of all 3 types around 1K)
black hood (gives +2/+2 INT/FAI and increased cast speed)
resonant weapon
great resonant soul

The running R1 attack for katanas is faster than the lag, it's almost impossible to block on reaction, and anyone trying to pull back out of reach will get hit. With a washing pole you have reach equivalent to a ultra greatsword with none of the weight or slowness. The GRS will do roughly 1.5K on hit alone. 10 ATT and 15 ADP gets you 93 AGL.

krakov

I've been playing this build for a while on the iron keep bridge, got my 99th dragon scale (129th actually, since I submitted 30 for the covenant) last night. It's by far the single most OP build I have, and there is no real counter for it.
VGR 40
END 20
VIT 20
ATT 10
STR 18
DEX 20
ADP 15
INT 30
FAI 30
Dark washing pole +10
Dark Caitha's chime +10
third dragon ring
clear bluestone +2
southern band +2
for armor I suggest mastodon's chest, arms and leg pieces all upgraded to +10 (gives defense of all 3 types around 1K)
resonant weapon
great resonant soul

The running R1 attack for katanas is faster than the lag, it's almost impossible to block on reaction, and anyone trying to pull back out of reach will get hit. With a washing pole you have reach equivalent to a ultra greatsword with none of the weight or slowness. The GRS will do roughly 1.5K on hit alone. 10 ATT and 15 ADP gets you 100 AGL.

Throw in some great magic barrier and it's pretty much the standard DS2 pvp build. Works well also with chaos blade.

VGR 40
END 20
VIT 20
ATT 10
STR 18
DEX 20
ADP 15
INT 30
FAI 30
Dark washing pole +10
Dark Caitha's chime +10
third dragon ring
clear bluestone +2
southern band +2
resonant weapon
great resonant soul

The running R1 attack for katanas is faster than the lag, it's almost impossible to block on reaction, and anyone trying to pull back out of reach will get hit. With a washing pole you have reach equivalent to a ultra greatsword with none of the weight or slowness. The GRS will do roughly 1.5K on hit alone. 10 ATT and 15 ADP gets you 100 AGL.

Haha. Washing Pole scum! What are the scaling stats once Dark infused?

maomaoIYP

Throw in some great magic barrier and it's pretty much the standard DS2 pvp build. Works well also with chaos blade.

I wanted something that was cheap and easy to upgrade, everything in that list of equipment (with the exception of the black hood) requires titanite only. Hexes are not only the strongest magic school, but having proficiency also ensures maximum defenses against all elements. It's really quite mind boggling why From chose to do this. Once you scale this build up to SL 200+ you can farm 60 twinkling and do a full havel's version with GMB and wrath of god.
Haha. Washing Pole scum! What are the scaling stats once Dark infused?
I can't remember, I think it's about 180/180 physical/dark base damage.
I don't like the feeling of being a washing pole scumbag, but it's incredibly difficult to beat (not to mention super frustrating) when you go against one and corrosive urns don't work against weapons either. The only option may be to turtle till their weapon breaks but I can't imagine that happening since guard break is so easy.

Mistel

Banned
So even though in the stats to the right it says Magic damage its just wrong and its physical?
This says magic does that instead of raw according to the last edit.
My stats pertaining to the Estoc are 40STR, 18 DEX and 55 (I think) FTH. Lightning infused, it's got C/E scaling for STR/DEX and B for lightning BNS, so nothing flash at all.

I also crafted a vanilla +10 version and while the B STR scaling yields close to a good 100 AR more than C, the lack of lightning damage was sorely missed on first impression.
That's pretty close to what I've got already minus 55 FTH I'll give that a try at some point thanks.

Minamu

They can be farmed to some extent. I have over 60 right now less than halfway through ng+ and I used a fair share of them in ng. But if you run out, you can always use the small white soapstone and do a minute of coop to get all spells, weapons and humanity restored for free :) At the endgame, you can also get restored for free if you have zero effigies. Getting back to life shouldn't be much of an issue really.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Infuse with fire and pump intelligence so you get more fire damage. It would make more sense than raising strength on a sex build.

Nah. My INT is 6 whilst my STR is 30, so pumping STR and getting the benefits will cost less (both time and souls) and mean I don't get so much split dmg. Some katanas have a wee bit of STR scaling (D/E, I think), so they'll benefit a bit too.

akira28

They can be farmed to some extent. I have over 60 right now less than halfway through ng+ and I used a fair share of them in ng. But if you run out, you can always use the small white soapstone and do a minute of coop to get all spells, weapons and humanity restored for free :) At the endgame, you can also get restored for free if you have zero effigies. Getting back to life shouldn't be much of an issue really.

hmm, you can use the small white soapstone while hollow?

Doesn't that kind of ruin the fun? I never liked playing against PvP where they only damage me for a few points, and I can two shot them. My most fun PvP moments were running around the level, shooting and dodging spells and arrows and cornering or getting cornered and having a fairly close match.

maomaoIYP

Doesn't that kind of ruin the fun? I never liked playing against PvP where they only damage me for a few points, and I can two shot them. My most fun PvP moments were running around the level, shooting and dodging spells and arrows and cornering or getting cornered and having a fairly close match.

A little yes. My favorite weapons are still the ultra greatswords and my favorite PvP build is the power stanced dual blue flame build. I play duals and not invasions, so everyone is out to build the best build possible. I also enjoy testing different builds, and my conclusion was that this is by far the most powerful. The overpowered-ness of this build doesn't lie in killing players in 2 hits (unless you cast GRS), but in the properties of hexes and katanas. It takes a lot of hits to kill someone still, just that there is no effective counter for it.

Soulhouf

VGR 40
END 20
VIT 20
ATT 10
STR 18
DEX 20
ADP 15
INT 30
FAI 30
Dark washing pole +10
Dark Caitha's chime +10
third dragon ring
clear bluestone +2
southern band +2
resonant weapon
great resonant soul

I tried a similar build with the Washing Pole and the result was a disaster for me. In PvE it's good but in PvP I'm not comfortable with it at all.
If you're finding yourself over-powerful like that, you can become even more if you remove the points in Vit and put them into Vig/Adp instead.

maomaoIYP

I tried a similar build with the Washing Pole and the result was a disaster for me. In PvE it's good but in PvP I'm not comfortable with it at all.
If you're finding yourself over-powerful like that, you can become even more if you remove the points in Vit and put them into Vig/Adp instead.

What were the problems you faced? I have the exact opposite experience, I absolutely hate the katanas for PvE. I'm also not a very big fan of having AGL past 100 and having 20 VIT lets me wear that 3/4 mastodon armor, which is very very good.

Leezard

hm. well that explains all those half life bar dudes I was co-oping with >_>

The good part is that even if you have 50% health cap before being summoned, you can refill it to 100% while you are a phantom in another world. Not many people do that, though. :p

Soulhouf

What were the problems you faced? I have the exact opposite experience, I absolutely hate the katanas for PvE. I'm also not a very big fan of having AGL past 100 and having 20 VIT lets me wear that 3/4 mastodon armor, which is very very good.

I have hard time hitting my opponent with it. I guess the move set isn't for me despite I used to love Washing Pole back in DkS1. My current success is under 3/10 with that weapon :(
With that said I would love to try fighting you. I had no problem at all against most of people who use it.

Facism

Farming the Aerie is so gud. Basically unlimited slabs, twinkling and p-bone. Sure, the dragons get stronger, but they sure as hell don't get any smarter.

EDIT: Also! They totally nerfed Amana's nerf! The troublesome tracking is back, but not to its full extent. Either way, it's much better.

haha yes! I went through Amana on PC dreading that the nerf would make the section a walk.

fucking arrows homing in on me like simps chasing the same lady.

maomaoIYP

I have hard time hitting my opponent with it. I guess the move set isn't for me despite I used to love Washing Pole back in DkS1. My current success is under 3/10 with that weapon :(
With that said I would love to try fighting you. I had no problem at all against most of people who use it.

I'm on 360 =(

I just had someone backstab me from the front, all the way across the room. *facepalm*

AngryMoth

VGR 40
END 20
VIT 20
ATT 10
STR 18
DEX 20
ADP 15
INT 30
FAI 30
Dark washing pole +10
Dark Caitha's chime +10
third dragon ring
clear bluestone +2
southern band +2
resonant weapon
great resonant soul

Huh? I have to go to 23 adp with 13 att to get 100 agility.

I had a lot of success with my super tanky build.
Vig 50, Vit 32
End 20, Att 10
Dex 20, Str 25
Adp 20, Int 10
Fai 10

Weapons: Dark black dragon great sword, dark cleric's sacred chime, raw avelyn.
Armour: Mastadon set but with Velsadt's helm.
Rings: Third dragon, royal solider's +2, southern ritual band +2, chloranthy +2.
Spells: Resonant weapon, great magic barrier, great heal/force.

The sword has a great horizontal move set and since it doesn't have scaling you can just spice all the spells down to 10 and put the extra points into vit.

Got bored of this after a while though so I've switched to a ruler's sword build for a bit and am using great resonant soul. Getting someone with a 2 hit combo and the following up with GRS as they roll away is deadly.

Of course, if you want to be a dick by far the most OP build is bat staff + dark fog + dual mundane avelyns + santier's spear.

Top Bottom