• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Nah. My INT is 6 whilst my STR is 30, so pumping STR and getting the benefits will cost less (both time and souls) and mean I don't get so much split dmg. Some katanas have a wee bit of STR scaling (D/E, I think), so they'll benefit a bit too.
Fair enough then you might like the mastodon halberd the for its scaling.

Hope Dark Souls 3 gives you a third option through the game...

Kill four amazingly strong bosses in some of the worst locations imaginable, collect a million souls or... learn to climb over a small hill of dirt to get to the other side of a door.

Seriously, what was with that? At least teleport you somewhere or something.

Hope Dark Souls 3 gives you a third option through the game...

Kill four amazingly strong bosses in some of the worst locations imaginable, collect a million souls or... learn to climb over a small hill of dirt to get to the other side of a door.

Seriously, what was with that? At least teleport you somewhere or something.
Every time I'm down there, I slap down the message: "weakness: ladder"

After it was pointed out, I just can't see that place now without thinking about how awful design that is. Even a huge wall would've been better.

Completely separate topic: I saw someone wearing the bell keeper's set for the first time, man I have to get that set it is hilarious. 80 kills though, not sure I have the patience.

zma1013

Nothing more awesome than running into the Freja fight with 2 summons where the first summon instantly dies to the little spiders and the other guy doesn't attack the spiders at all and so there's a couple left on his side of the arena that I didn't see and they attack me and I die. Sigh.

Mistel

Banned
Nothing more awesome than running into the Freja fight with 2 summons where the first summon instantly dies to the little spiders and the other guy doesn't attack the spiders at all and so there's a couple left on his side of the arena that I didn't see and they attack me and I die. Sigh.
Summons make it harder but there's more of you. Summon the royal soldier NPC for it.

GulAtiCa

Really starting to get used to my new Pyro/Poison build with a Poison Spotted Whip +5 in my left hand and Fire Longsword +10 (with added buff fire) in my right. Poison them and then destroy them with fire! Also started to use lloyd's Talismans to stop people from healing themselves. Those come in handy. Still getting used to the distance. Need to judge that better. Started to put some more points in Endurance, and find myself running out too quickly, few more should do. Still working on getting dex up to 38 so I can power stance with my 2nd spotted whip.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finally started to do some pvp and got some funny messages last night. I don't use it often because it's so easy to dodge but it's hilarious OHK'ing people with surprise sunlight spears. Especially the jerks that sprint away to chug a flask. Feels so good. Also really liking the defender greatsword. Lightning infused along with 50 faith and the built in lightning buff is pretty sweet. The 1h r2 gets people good too with the range. Can't wait to do some more pvp before fully jumping into NG +

GulAtiCa

Heh... I role play, complete with asshole emote when I win.
In addition I have messages from people who aren't on my friends list blocked by default, so they can't even send me a hate message. HAHAHAH

I turned off messages on my PSN as well. Mainly cause I once got a message that said "nice boobs" early on when my main had the Desert Sorcerer top on...

I'd love to know what kind of hate mail I'd get if I turned it back on, esp when I WotG users in a trolling fashion. hehe

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Boo, you guys are no fun. Hate mail is awesome, I treasure every message I get filled with their precious tears.

SoldnerKei

lol, the only message I have so far in this game was a dude who apologized for healing after our duel, such message was kind of random for me

SoldnerKei

My mailbox is full of thank you notes from co-op.

I used to send thxs messages in Demon's Souls, now I just give them the 'Joy' emote

I don't like to be an asshole in pvp, but I love to use the 'This one's me' whenever I win in a silly way, like finishing with a poison knife

GulAtiCa

The emote I use after winning a PvP (even invasions) depends on how they acted. If they acted with dignity and faced me head on, I'll bow to them or just not do anything to show respect. If they tried to back stab me before I got up or ran away like a little bitch to heal (though i don't blame them :p ), I'll mock them.

Hobobloke

My messages are a solid mix of gg's, thanks, and hate mail. Hate mail is the most fun by far.

So real life has kept me away from the game, got it at release but haven't played over the last few weeks. Last thing I was doing was trying (and failing) at killing the Ancient Dragon. I forgot what/where he told me to go and am bit lost as to what I should be doing, can someone point me in the right direction?

My messages are a solid mix of gg's, thanks, and hate mail. Hate mail is the most fun by far.

So real life has kept me away from the game, got it at release but haven't played over the last few weeks. Last thing I was doing was trying (and failing) at killing the Ancient Dragon. I forgot what/where he told me to go and am bit lost as to what I should be doing, can someone point me in the right direction?

He gives you the Ashen Heart, which you can use to enter the Giant Memory locations (those sort of giant/tree things you see mainly around Forest of the Fallen Giants).

GulAtiCa

I'm watching someone invade others on Twitch. He seems pretty good at it too.

Anyways, he just invaded someone who stepped away while at bonfire and decided to instead of killing the guy, to troll him. Used like 20 Corrosive Urn to destroy his stuff and then started punching the guy with his fists. At last second guy came back and was able to heal himself. The invader still kept punching him, even as the other guy couldn't harm him. Was funny to watch, mean, but funny. He eventually just disconnected himself. But as we know, that won't fix his broken stuff now :)

akira28

The good part is that even if you have 50% health cap before being summoned, you can refill it to 100% while you are a phantom in another world. Not many people do that, though. :p

heheh I'm flashing back to Super Mario 2 discussion on the playground. I am learning all sorts of shit I didn't know.

Until I find a good katana for my dex build I have 3 - 4 weapons to choose from:
falchion +2 , ricard's rapier, notched whip, Drangleic Sword
which is the best for you?

Mistel

Banned
Until I find a good katana for my dex build I have 3 - 4 weapons to choose from:
falchion +2 , ricard's rapier, notched whip, Drangleic Sword
which is the best for you?
Which one do you like using? There's no best weapon as long as it's not obviously terrible just use what you enjoy.

But going pure stats wise i'd go drangelic or ricards.

GulAtiCa

Lloyd's Talisman: 1600
Poison Spotted Whip +5: 25000
The fear that the host has that they can't heal as they are running from me: Priceless

For anyone thinking about doing a no bonfire/no death run (in NG+ specifically) - The Desert Sorcerers in Earthen Peak are a really good source of consumables, almost every kill is a drop and it's either a spell use herb or a dragon charm, both will come in very handy :) Currently at end of NG and farming for such items.

GulAtiCa

You can buy those small magic refill herbs from the bird merchant/blacksmith as many as you want by time you beat the game. That will help too for magic users.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It's practically free damage in PvP. Abuse that with the flame swathe combo and then it's an instant kill.

The timing on the flame swathe thing is pretty tight. You can still do it with this I'm sure, but this moves you back further, making the timing even more tight.

Either way, it's really, really dumb, but not game-breaking.

Thoughts on an overpowered PvP build at SL150.

Cheers for this idea, maomaoIYP (and for your tips in general).

I created a similar build on an SL200 character using a Dark +10 Espada Ropera :

VIG 25
END 25
VIT 27
ATT 20
STR 18
DEX 38
ADP 25
INT 35
FTH 40

So, yeah, obviously I've emphasised the offensive a bit more than the defensive. The Espada yields a very respectable B scaling in DEX when infused, so I wanted to take advantage of that. I also wanted to be able to roll with the Chime of Want. In hindsight, I could probably do with taking some of that VIT and putting it into VIG; I thought I'd be heavier than I am.

One question regarding my INT/FTH stats: for Dark BNS, basically, am I doing it right? Obviously 40/40 would be better, but the yield didn't seem worth it.

maomaoIYP

One question regarding my INT/FTH stats: for Dark BNS, basically, am I doing it right? Obviously 40/40 would be better, but the yield didn't seem worth it.

If you take a look at your equipment screen you'll see the bonus damage from your stats in blue. Compare the physical bonus (from STR/DEX) and the dark bonus (from INT/FAI). Since the scaling for STR & DEX are pretty bad, I'm going to wager a guess that the B scaling in dex isn't that far off from the dark scaling bonus (which is also B I think).
But in any case both of the numbers in blue should be pretty small. Which means that unless you intend to cast direct damage hex spells, 30/30 INT/FAI is already good enough. The majority of the "extra" damage you will be doing by swinging your weapon will come from the 50% dark bonus boost from resonant weapon, instead of the damage bonuses from your stats.
If I was running a similar build for PvP at SL 200, I'd bring DEX down to as low as I needed for most weapons, and the same for STR. It'll look like something this:

SL 202
VIG 50
END 30
VIT 20
ATT 20
STR 25
DEX 25
ADP 25
INT 30
FTH 30

You can also bring ATT a little lower (10 or 13 is fine) because you can get more slots by using the southern band +2. And with 25 STR and 25 DEX you can pretty much use 90% of the game's weapons, so that will let you have more freedom to explore different options in PvP. (Also 25 STR will let you 1H the avelyn).

If you take a look at your equipment screen you'll see the bonus damage from your stats in blue. Compare the physical bonus (from STR/DEX) and the dark bonus (from INT/FAI). Since the scaling for STR & DEX are pretty bad, I'm going to wager a guess that the B scaling in dex isn't that far off from the dark scaling bonus (which is also B I think).
But in any case both of the numbers in blue should be pretty small. Which means that unless you intend to cast direct damage hex spells, 30/30 INT/FAI is already good enough. The majority of the "extra" damage you will be doing by swinging your weapon will come from the 50% dark bonus boost from resonant weapon, instead of the damage bonuses from your stats.
If I was running a similar build for PvP at SL 200, I'd bring DEX down to as low as I needed for most weapons, and the same for STR. It'll look like something this:

SL 202
VIG 50
END 30
VIT 20
ATT 20
STR 25
DEX 25
ADP 25
INT 30
FTH 30

You can also bring ATT a little lower (10 or 13 is fine) because you can get more slots by using the southern band +2. And with 25 STR and 25 DEX you can pretty much use 90% of the game's weapons, so that will let you have more freedom to explore different options in PvP. (Also 25 STR will let you 1H the avelyn).

Bueno! Thanks again.

Yep, the Dark and DEX scaling bonuses are very similar - around +50, if I recall correctly. And I do miss my Avelyn, come to think of it. Ha. That being said, I'm very much a Fashion Souls kinda guy at heart, even if it does gimp my PvP efficacy, so adding the Avelyn to the mix could throw some weight spanners in the works. I'm very much enjoying my Dark Hunter's Blackbow for the time being.

Good tip re: the Southern Ritual Band +2, but having a slot taken up by that just doesn't sit well with me. With the Third Dragon, Ring of Blades +2 and Cloranthy Ring+2 as my staples, I think I'd rather have the remaining slot taken up by the Stone Ring (very handy for thrusting swords) or the Clear Bluestone Ring +2.

Of course, having options is always a good thing. I might mess around with some Vessels later.

Now for something PvE related, what would you recommend as the best hex for taking down bosses with relative ease? The Hex equivalent of the Great Lightning Spear, if you will. The GRS, maybe?

maomaoIYP

Now for something PvE related, what would you recommend as the best hex for taking down bosses with relative ease? The Hex equivalent of the Great Lightning Spear, if you will. The GRS, maybe?

GRS definitely. If you're a soul horder like me you might prefer dark hail which doesn't need souls, but has a slower cast time and needs you to be up close.

Dark hail is good, and so is GSR. They both make people scream in rage. Now all you need is to wear havels set and eveeryone hates you.

Game: Complete.

Finished up Navlaan's quest line, got Benhart and Drummond achievements, and ended at around SL154. Going to trade my silky stones to the birds to try to get white ring and then do some PVP before starting NG+. Anything else I should do?

GRS definitely. If you're a soul horder like me you might prefer dark hail which doesn't need souls, but has a slower cast time and needs you to be up close.

That I am, but I think 3.2 million in the bank will sustain more than a few casts :).

Dark hail is good, and so is GSR. They both make people scream in rage. Now all you need is to wear havels set and eveeryone hates you.

Oh, man. I ran into so many Havel douches last night. PvP in general was a farce; every second person was chugging. YOU summoned ME. This is a duel, you scumbag. What made it even worse was that I embarrassingly squandered a number of opportunities to punish these chuggers by accidentally re-buffing my weapon instead of GRSin' them into oblivion. My learn-from-your-mistakes game was not strong last night.

Top Bottom