• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mogwai

Am I a douchebag for refusing to bow to/with an invader?

Last night i got a couple of hits in during several fights because the invader tried bowing at me after invading my game.

I consider this different than dueling (like in the Iron Keep) where I make a habit to bow before and after each fight.
Not bowing is the opposite inverse of not washing hands after taking a dump.

LiK

Last night i got a couple of hits in during several fights because the invader tried bowing at me after invading my game.

I consider this different than dueling (like in the Iron Keep) where I make a habit to bow before and after each fight.
Do what you want. Invasions are anything goes. It's not sparring.

demidar

Strength scaling rate of A gives roughly 3 points of attack rate per strength level; S gives 4.
Dexterity scaling rate of A gives roughly 1.6 points of attack rate per level; I don't know about S but in analogy it should give like 2 point something. This, combined with general higher base damages, means that strength weapons should potentially deal much more damage than dexterity weapons.

That sounds about right. At least I have the stats to change to a strength weapon if I get fed up with katanas.

Gattsu25

Banned
Not bowing is the opposite inverse of not washing hands after taking a dump.
Gotta disagree here. If I'm minding my own business derping around a level trying to make my way toward a boss and you come in my game I will try to destroy you as quickly as possible, while using as few items/casts as possible, so I can go back on my merry.

Why should I give you a chance to prepare and ruin my run? "Honor"? Fuck honor.

I've been hit too many times while bowing or buffing my weapon in this game. Coming from the last game where "honour" was somewhat prevalent to this game where it is basically a wasteland full of crazy magicians, I just don't give a fuck anymore.

Now the moment I see my opponent I blast them with GRS and chase after them.

Mistel

Banned
But I could be making that up to make myself feel better.
Maybe a teeny tiny bit? I'm going full utterly bonkers weapons wise on the co-op character I'm going to look hilarious with the jesters outfit and a pair of dragon tooth. I'm stealing yours btw when we get to aerie.
The border between accessibility and easy-mode is beginning to blur...
It is but it's helpful for co-op I've got more effigies than I'll ever use irregardless.

Well since I'm pure melee (aside from getting the stats for Flame Weapon), I don't really have anywhere else to put those points. Right now I'm just pumping up stamina and equip load, once I hit the soft cap for those it's probably just gonna go back in to strength/dexterity.
I'm going that route too it's just a matter of finding the soft caps really for everything. I might end up going over a few though really not that it matters.

A host bowed for me once I invaded them I hit them with a mace instead.

LiK

Gotta disagree here. If I'm minding my own business derping around a level trying to make my way toward a boss and you come in my game I will try to destroy you as quickly as possible, while using as few items/casts as possible, so I can go back on my merry.

Why should I give you a chance to prepare and ruin my run? "Honor"? Fuck honor.

I agree. Only use bows/greets if you invited an invader for a duel. If they invaded you, just fuck them up.

Gattsu25

Banned
It's not a nerf. It's common sense.
They can patch that without nerfing them. Increase the damage so that it does the same as now in half range and make it reverse scale with distance like in the previous games.
It's not a nerf, it's just making it so that using a bow as a ranged weapon is not effective. That's the argument?

E92 M3

They can patch that without nerfing them. Increase the damage so that it does the same as now in half range and make it reverse scale with distance like in the previous games.

Sometimes I think gameplay is more important than logic, and the bows are fine. They are fun to use. Why change something that is fun to use?

LiK

Bows are fine as is. They're only really effective after they get upgraded. They're pretty easy to avoid or block. I don't think anything needs to be done there.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Common sense doesn't always make for good and balanced gameplay though.

Do spells lose damage at distance? Since bows are the only ranged option for pure melee/pure bow users and those builds are (apparently) already at a huge disadvantage, I think this is a bit of a non-issue, really.

It's not a nerf, it's just making it so that using a bow as a ranged weapon is not effective. That's the argument?

Exactly.

Maybe a teeny tiny bit? I'm going full utterly bonkers weapons wise on the co-op character I'm going to look hilarious with the jesters outfit and a pair of dragon tooth. I'm stealing yours btw when we get to aerie.

XD Sure. I'm sticking to my mitts and my faith.

I need my Main to catch up with yours to get all those juicy katanas. ;)

I may have to have a couple of nights concentrating on him... but then you'll be even further ahead!

Gattsu25

Banned
Sometimes I think gameplay is more important than logic, and the bows are fine. They are fun to use. Why change something that is fun to use?
No, logic would be to make the arrow damage increase as the distance crosses a threshold (the apex of the arc) because now you have gravity, weighing down on the arrow, increasing its speed.

Arjen

Heeey, so I picked this up for the 360 last week and realized after that it has that multiplayer stuff. The problem is I don't have a subscription to Xbox Live. Is the multiplayer essential to the experience enough that I should subscribe again to that joke of a service?

Well worth it imho, i only have gold for Netflix and Dark Souls. Messages, co-op, invading and all the other covenants really add to the experience.

Question about the
Benhart of Jugo trophy

I successfully killed the boss in Brightstone Cove with
his help
but got to the looking glass knight and
he killed Benhart 2 times in a row now

Can I go back to Brightstone and use an ascetic 2 times and just use
Benhart to kill the boss both times and get his trophy
?

Or does it have to be 3 different bosses you defeat with him staying alive?

ElFly

No, logic would be to make the arrow damage increase as the distance crosses a threshold (the apex of the arc) because now you have gravity, weighing down on the arrow, increasing its speed.

But that'd require a realistic flying path for arrows.

*flashbacks to Dark Souls 1 undead burg archers' arrows that curved toward you*

LiK

Question about the
Benhart of Jugo trophy

I successfully killed the boss in Brightstone Cove with
his help
but got to the looking glass knight and
he killed Benhart 2 times in a row now

Can I go back to Brightstone and use an ascetic 2 times and just use
Benhart to kill the boss both times and get his trophy
?

Or does it have to be 3 different bosses you defeat with him staying alive?

Yes, you can use ascetic on the same bosses for the trophy.

E92 M3

Arrows aren't shot in an arc though. Most of the time it's on a horizontal plane. Since distance traveled is inversely proportional to velocity. And as we know, an arrow's damage is done from penetration, more speed is equal to more damage. With distance the speed decreases and so does the chance for lethal damage.

Gattsu25

Banned
Arrows aren't shot in an arc though. Most of the time it's on a horizontal plane. Since distance traveled is inversely proportional to velocity. And as we know, an arrow's damage is done from penetration, more speed is equal to more damage. With distance the speed decreases and so does the chance for lethal damage.
That's part of my point: the physics in this game don't make sense so why should bows be nerfed because 'physics/logic' when the normal laws are never followed by them, anyway?

E92 M3

That's part of my point: the physics in this game don't make sense so why should bows be nerfed because 'physics/logic' when the normal laws are never followed by them, anyway?

Yep, gameplay should always trump everything else.

I laughed entirely too much at this.

Yeah, that stupid crap always makes me laugh too lol. Anything with "horse" also gets me. It's just really funny playing a game in a dark, serious universe and then reading a message about horses and but holes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I put one in front of the Crestfallen Warrior fella on the cliff:

"Happiness required ahead or Be wary of jumping..."

Didn't get many hits, sadly.

OH SHIT my new Dex set up wrecks shit up.

I wish I wasn't overeleveled at SL170 with this character (I put my extra points to attunement slots which I never use so it's not that unfair to all you 150'ers),

Soulhouf

Nope.
I like my bows so I want them to be as effective and enjoyable as possible.
It's not always true that the damage will decrease with distance. It depends on the orientation and many other parameters.
Fromsoft wanted to make it simple this time and thus made bow damage flat I guess.

I did a lot of archery in real life, that's why this bothers me. I'm starting to get used to it but it feels weird.

That is a great thing, and one of the best innovations about DkS2, and doesn't make the game any easier, you have to kill enemies like 15 times before they stop respawning, at that point you will have learned how to deal with those enemies, that's for sure. It makes the game less frustrating, not easier.

It does make the game easier, but that isn't even my biggest problem with it. From a design standpoint some of the mob placement would just be unacceptable without it. Several bonfires have things that will attack you right when you use, and then there are things like the bellyflops near Straid. So what I'm saying is the main reason I don't like it is the way they are allowed to design encounters because of it.

ys45

41h of gameplay 2 major souls obtained SL at 108.
I can definitively say I like DS2 more than DS

Playing as melee char (I raised my ATTN to 10 to get at least one slot)
So far the place where I died the most is the
Iron keep (DAT Smelter Demon)

So how long do I have left before beating the game ?

LiK

Only 2 major souls? A lot more to go!

E92 M3

Oh you have a lot left, my friend. Dark Souls 2 is a very meaty game.

ys45

Oh you have a lot left, my friend. Dark Souls 2 is a very meaty game.

Good to hear that , I'm trying to take my time.

Oh the fun of exploring dangerous area and finding new cool loot , been a while I had this feeling in a game .

No, you're not, there's no obligation to exchange pleasantries. The invader can take the risk to bow and wait and see if the host responds if he/she wants a match without healing and such, but it's a risk, and the host should not feel obligated to follow arbitrary tournament rules.

Think about it in this way: it's convenient for the invader to get a bow in return, trying to artificially balance the match, even if you cannot balance it fully because enemies will still go against the host. Also, invading a game interrupts the progress of the host, and there's no way to say that the host wants that.

There are areas that naturally come up as matching arenas (other than the "real" arenas), and if you want to PVP there it's just a matter of politeness to exchange the bow and follow the rules, but if you get a random invader, just destroy it.

E92 M3

Oh the fun of exploring dangerous area and finding new cool loot , been a while I had this feeling in a game .

That's why people don't want to spoil a souls game. It's an experience that can't be recreated a second time. Also the reason I didn't visit the OT until beating the game.

LiK

The amount of secrets is exhaustive. I keep finding new stuff after two complete playthroughs.

The messages this time around are amazing, I love them. The possibilities with wonderful additions like "by the way," and "in short," are endless!

Yeah, I like that. You can make many more stupid messages than before!
I dread the day they decide to make it possible to write whatever you like though. It will be "dicks" and "your mom" everywhere. :p

Pancho

Qurupancho
So what's a fun weapon to use? I'm almost done with the game, and I was wondering which weapon should I go for my next play through, any suggestion?

It does make the game easier, but that isn't even my biggest problem with it. From a design standpoint some of the mob placement would just be unacceptable without it. Several bonfires have things that will attack you right when you use, and then there are things like the bellyflops near Straid. So what I'm saying is the main reason I don't like it is the way they are allowed to design encounters because of it.
That may have been a deliberate choice: to make you feel unsafe even near bonfires. That also empowers the soothing safety of Majula, the Nexus of DkS2.

Top Bottom