• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Sullichin

Fast rolling hex spamming Havels beg to differ.

That's what I mean, there's no reason to stay at some "meta" SL150 level, because your competition isn't, and you aren't going to overlevel out of PVP like DS. Might as well spec into using whatever you like, the way it works now.

ElFly

Uh, how is this? Only matters the soul memory or what?

Only Soul Memory.

I am not clear on whether gaining souls or spending souls adds to Soul Memory. I've been thinking of advancing through the game and using the dark sign to lose all souls (but not humanity) to advance through the game a little but not advance my SM, and get the funny spells like chameleon or magic weapon, but still be matched with low level Bell intruders :D

fuckers, leave my bell alone.

That's what I mean, there's no reason to stay at some "meta" SL150 level, because your competition isn't, and you aren't going to overlevel out of PVP like DS. Might as well spec into using whatever you like, the way it works now.

Lame builds with no diversity seems to be the name of the game.

keit4

Banned
Only Soul Memory.

I am not clear on whether gaining souls or spending souls adds to Soul Memory. I've been thinking of advancing through the game and using the dark sign to lose all souls (but not humanity) to advance through the game a little but not advance my SM, and get the funny spells like chameleon or magic weapon, but still be matched with low level Bell intruders :D

I see.

Spending 750K souls.

brb

Sullichin

Only Soul Memory.

You can't do that. You'll still have your soul memory if you spend it or not.

Lame builds with no diversity seems to be the name of the game.

:shrug: I'm not going to stop leveling at SL150 because it literally makes no sense in this game for too long. It made sense in Dark Souls to have soft caps on leveling because of how PVP matchmaking worked. I'm not going to level forever until I can do everything, but if I want to spec into a new weapon or something to try out, why not, it's not hurting my chances of finding people to play with.

The only thing that hurts my chances of finding people to play with is continuing to play the game. Near the end of NG+ and I'm getting fewer invaders because I think my SM is a bit on the high side. Soul memory sucks.

I much prefer how it worked in past games. I made characters to invade specific areas of the game. I have no idea how I'd even go about that now with how the matchmaking works. :(

Mistel

Banned
God, no. I can barely dress (or indeed feed) myself and have little to no interest in RL fashion.

Oh, and the Predator set is blue, just much darker than the Alonne stuff.
I can tell that from this really it's funny. I've just got Zoolander blue steel popping into my head now.

LiK

Soul Memory is everything for PVP. Even if you don't spend a point of it, it will affect you. You can be starting SL 12 and still be invaded by SL150+ if you have a large Soul Memory.

GulAtiCa

I'm carrying 700K souls right now. Why? Because i don't know how to spend them (i don't want to level up because the 150SL metagame).

pft. I'm doing the 350SL meta game! ;)

Soul Level doesn't really matter here much. All about Soul Memory, which is for any souls received, even if you don't use it. I'm almost lv 350 in NG++ and can do co-op often, summoned often, can be invaded often (if sinner) and can do duels quite easily and often. Only reason I see to stay low level, is to limit yourself in what you can do or give yourself an extra challenge.

Based upon the souls I get from invaders/invading others, I often see levels in a big range. Most in the hundreds range, but I also often see people in the 200s+ as well as others 300+

Sullichin

Iron Keep is a PvP hotspot so try there.

Sure I can PVP there all the time. But in Dark Souls I made characters for "classic" invasions at specific parts of the game. a level 40 character for Sens and Anor Londo, a level 70 Black Knight for ToTG and Duke's... can't really do that here.

If all you did was Blue Sentinel invasions you could keep your Soul Memory down since you don't gain any souls from winning those invasions.

... But then you'd need souls to keep buying Cracked Blue Eye orbs... So it kinda wouldn't work out :p

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I can tell that from this really it's funny. I've just got Zoolander blue steel popping into my head now.

I'm sorry that good-looking people like me made you throw up and feel bad about yourself.

I love that movie... even though I hate Ben Stiller. It's that Hansel... he's so hot right now.

GulAtiCa

I believe I heard the SM limit was like 14M, once your above that, it doen't matter and you are grouped with everyone else above that. I think I am now SM 44M

Minamu

Ugh, that A
ncient
D
ragon
will be my bane it seems :/ Finally grinded the place empty of enemies, currently SL 192 and while I finally can see summon signs again in the area, going human is draining my human effigies fast. Currently trying him naked with flash sweat and my sun sword+10 but baiting him into doing the easy frontal attack is random at best :S

ElFly

You can't do that. You'll still have your soul memory if you spend it or not.

I was mostly thinking of using the dark sign on the bosses, since there is a delay between killing a boss and getting the souls; hell, in DS1 you were advised to put on the serpent ring in that time for extra souls.

What about if they had soul memory count in NG, and then in NG+ onwards it was about soul level?

The way it works now, it makes no sense to me. I can get invaded by someone 100 levels above me just because we have the same soul memory? How does that make sense. One person could've lost all their souls and the other could've levelled up with them. It seems fundamentally broken to me.

Am I a douchebag for refusing to bow to/with an invader?

Last night i got a couple of hits in during several fights because the invader tried bowing at me after invading my game.

I consider this different than dueling (like in the Iron Keep) where I make a habit to bow before and after each fight.

You'd be right, in my opinion. If you're the party being invaded, go at them full bore. Because it's not a duel among equals. If you die you lose progress, if he dies he just wasted a red eye orb. If he wanted a duel he could have used one of several agreed upon dueling locations in the game.

I'm trying to get a handle on scaling and buffs. If I want to get the most out of Sunlight Blade, I should use it on a lightning infused weapon? Is that correct?

Sullichin

I'm trying to get a handle on scaling and buffs. If I want to get the most out of Sunlight Blade, I should use it on a lightning infused weapon? Is that correct?

Yes, infuse weapon and chime with lightning, and lingering dragoncrest +1 to make it last longer

About to go to NG++, do I kill Targray and Titchy Gren first for their armour and risk getting non-stop invaded like my first character, or do I go without their gear?

There's quite a few difficult to get sets as drops too this time around I see. I didn't get armour drops from some of the NG+ stuff except some Heide leggings - I'm not sure I like the inbuild ascetic grinding that comes with this, I like to get everything.

A fun PVP spot is the crumbly area right outside the Dragonrider fog gate. I invaded there as a blue today and was right in the middle of the host and a red fighting. I went to step aside but they both came after me, so I jumped onto that second small platform with the chest on it and they followed. I couldn't tell you exactly what happened next, but in the chaos on that tiny platform both the red and the host managed to fall off while trying to dodge my attacks.

Also, Righty-ho! is definitely my favourite gesture. I like to do it right after winning a fight and then sprint off into the distance.

I haven't found the Dragon Chime yet.

By the way, what's the consensus on Adaptability? I've tried pumping it to various levels, but never noticed an improvement in rolling or other actions, so I keep respeccing and reassigning those points elsewhere.

Hixx

I just cheesed the FUCK out of Royal Rat Vanguard on my second character.
Stood at the opposite door and spammed Holy Water and then a Flame Swathe for the boss
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

No regrets. Hated that boss on my first run.

Ugh, that A
ncient
D
ragon
will be my bane it seems :/ Finally grinded the place empty of enemies, currently SL 192 and while I finally can see summon signs again in the area, going human is draining my human effigies fast. Currently trying him naked with flash sweat and my sun sword+10 but baiting him into doing the easy frontal attack is random at best :S

Gower's Ring?

LiK

Get Dragon Chime as soon as you can. So good!

Fucking ledges!

I just cheesed the FUCK out of Royal Rat Vanguard on my second character.
Stood at the opposite door and spammed Holy Water and then a Flame Swathe for the boss
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

No regrets. Hated that boss on my first run.

I Firestormed the shit outta them on my second playthrough. Super easy win.

mattp

Holy lord, that Dragonrider fight. The moment he stepped through the door, I thought, "How the hell is this guy going to beat that boss?" And then, poof, finished. Pretty amazing video is far.

the best part is, i'm about 55 hours deep in the game and besides heide's/dragonrider this guy skipped literally every single thing i've done so far

jimi_dini

Holy lord, that Dragonrider fight. The moment he stepped through the door, I thought, "How the hell is this guy going to beat that boss?" And then, poof, finished. Pretty amazing video is far.

Was there anything like that possible in Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls?

It's hilarious that he managed to pull that off perfectly, but then gets slaughtered several times after that.

Gotta disagree here. If I'm minding my own business derping around a level trying to make my way toward a boss and you come in my game I will try to destroy you as quickly as possible, while using as few items/casts as possible, so I can go back on my merry.

Why should I give you a chance to prepare and ruin my run? "Honor"? Fuck honor.

Not honor..reputation. The alternative is being forced to play offline.

Top Bottom