• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mr Git

Am I a douchebag for refusing to bow to/with an invader?

Last night i got a couple of hits in during several fights because the invader tried bowing at me after invading my game.

I consider this different than dueling (like in the Iron Keep) where I make a habit to bow before and after each fight.

I'm pretty sure for invasions anything goes. Someone decided to invade me last night whilst I was in the Gutter. They ran around lighting all the sconces, I felt slightly bad for filling them full of arrows.

Vitten

Game doesn't feel that huge anymore upon replay and good knowledge of the worlds.

Classic Souls syndrome:
first playthrough: My God this game is huuuuge ( takes 50+hours to finish )
consequent playthroughs: Mmm.. the levels are actually kinda small and many fights can be skipped/run passed ( takes 10 hours to finish )

LiK

Game doesn't feel that huge anymore upon replay and good knowledge of the worlds.

Classic Souls syndrome:
consequent playthroughs: Mmm.. the levels are actually kinda small and many fights can be skipped/run passed ( takes 10 hours to finish )

Second playthrough only took me around 30 hours. First time was like 60 hours. Knowledge of the bosses and knowing where to go helps quite a bit.

Classic Souls syndrome:
The all bosses runs are in the 2:20 area right now :D

50 FTH
+5 Lightning Dragon Chime
+10 Lightning Heide Knight Sword

Lightning everywhere.

I fucking love being a Lightning Bro. Cannot wait to get my hands on that Defender Greatsword.

ys45

The amount of secrets is exhaustive. I keep finding new stuff after two complete playthroughs.

Not sure I'm gonna do a second playthrough , my backlog is getting bigger because of this game lol .

If only I had more time

LiK

50 FTH
+5 Lightning Dragon Chime
+10 Lightning Heide Knight Sword

Lightning everywhere.

I fucking love being a Lightning Bro. Cannot wait to get my hands on that Defender Greatsword.

My Faith is only 36. Gonna need to respec or level up more to get the 50. Couldn't believe the insane requirement to use Dragon Chime. I was sad ;-;

My highest rated message is in Doors of Pharros

"Visions of regret..." more than 200 ratings last time I looked.

I wasted so many goddamn stones in that stupid place.

Carcetti

My most rated message on one character is 'Beware of Hole, right" next to iron king fog door and on another character it's a blatant insult against Darkdiver Grandahl beneath the castle.

E92 M3

I got lucky enough to get an old whip from the crows. It's great but it breaks in no time. I don't know if it's just this particular weapon or if all whips are like that though.

Whips in general have low durability, I believe. Repair powder is pretty cheap, though.

Ah nice, for some reason when I first got there an instinct told me since there were so many doors it has to be some kind of bullshit. Also, I was very conservative with my stones first go around.

GulAtiCa

I spent last night doing a good bit of co-op with my roommate with one of my extra characters. Currently shooting for a 150 level Faith build character with a little Str/Dex.

I started to place red soapsigns down in Heide's Tower of Flame to start duels. Never realized there was a culture of essentially arenas set up by hosts where reds vs reds. Was really interesting to see fights going on before me while I wait my turn. Really love how polite these duels can get sometimes.

I absolutely suck at these duels, but they are fun. Won a few. I also redid my stats a little to put more points in Str/Dex. I'm going to try out a Mace, any suggestions on which one to use? Currently using Homunculus Mace +10 infused with lightning.

zma1013

They aren't necessarily wasted if you unlock all of them and then
join rat covenant and make a grey trespasser summon run through the gauntlet of traps. You become an end boss in this maze of traps.
It's good entertainment for those that participate.

Mistel

Banned
Didn't get many hits, sadly.
Needs to be a tad cruder I think then you'll get more hits.
XD Sure. I'm sticking to my mitts and my faith.
I need my Main to catch up with yours to get all those juicy katanas. ;)
I may have to have a couple of nights concentrating on him... but then you'll be even further ahead!
Your mitts will get you killed I already meat shielded you in harvest valley... I've done a bit of mucking around caestus are ludicrously weak for their scaling really it's a page back in the thread. We should do the pursuer then we can get to Straid in both worlds on the co-op.

As for the idea of bows being nerfed which is moronic as that's the only ranged option for melee characters buff them so I can do this:
WLW6sK5.gif

Sullichin

So, the way that scaling works now, is raw + 10 with minimum requirements better than a regular +10 weapon with stat investment? Seems like the case. Instead of pumping the hell out of STR to get 40 more points of damage, it seems to make more sense to make it raw and have those levels for VGR and END. They seem to have offset the bad scaling with generally higher stat requirements for weapons.

Tenrius

Just co-op. A successful session restores humanity now.

Does it restore it fully? The patch notes are confusing, I don't think you could regain humanity every time by being summoned before:

"Players now receive a small portion of Humanity after successfully assisting in a Multiplayer session instead of regaining full Humanity"

Tried leaving some signs today and it always restored me to human form (I was almost at full health as is though). Small white sign soapstone finally makes sense.

Mistel

Banned
I absolutely suck at these duels, but they are fun. Won a few. I also redid my stats a little to put more points in Str/Dex. I'm going to try out a Mace, any suggestions on which one to use? Currently using Homunculus Mace +10 infused with lightning.
Maybe try a pick axe it's not to hard get really and high damage. Or if you like the Homunculus Mace try that in a power stance with a normal +10 mace which will have A/E scaling. Bleed infused morning stars may be of interest to you also.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Does it restore it fully? The patch notes are confusing, I don't think you could regain humanity every time by being summoned before:

"Players now receive a small portion of Humanity after successfully assisting in a Multiplayer session instead of regaining full Humanity"

Tried leaving some signs today and it always restored me to human form (I was almost at full health as is though). Small white sign soapstone finally makes sense.
But, receiving a bit of humanity after you kill a boss when assisting another player has always been there. I've gained my humanity back a bunch of times by helping in co-op. The game doesn't announce it to you that you recovered your humanity, you simply become human again.

ElFly

So what's a fun weapon to use? I'm almost done with the game, and I was wondering which weapon should I go for my next play through, any suggestion?

Go kill the three fatties in Things Betwixt and then go talk to Milibeth. She will give you her soup ladle.

Then try to kill some invader with that :D

Tenrius

But, receiving a bit of humanity after you kill a boss when assisting another player has always been there. I've gained my humanity back a bunch of times by helping in co-op. The game doesn't announce it to you that you recovered your humanity, you simply become human again.

I still can't make sense of that patch note though. It seems to me that you regain humanity more frequently, not less.

So I see ganking people putting their summon signs down for the Mirror Knight is a thing.

I know Souls PvP brings out the lamest in people, but you'd think a summoning mechanic that's actually a part of the game that the developers intended to be used would get a pass, but obviously not. Get summoned, immediately get ganked by a bunch of Havel clones. Yawn.

This is why the Old Monk was better. If you used a ring say rather than leaving a summon sign this wouldn't happen.

ElFly

So I see ganking people putting their summon signs down for the Mirror Knight is a thing.

I know Souls PvP brings out the lamest in people, but you'd think a summoning mechanic that's actually a part of the game that the developers intended to be used would get a pass, but obviously not. Get summoned, immediately get ganked by a bunch of Havel clones. Yawn.

This is why the Old Monk was better. If you used a ring say rather than leaving a summon sign this wouldn't happen.

The way I do it is write down the sign, wait for a few seconds, then write another.

Of course it helps to do it in hidden parts of the castle.

But yeah. It should be part of the Bell covenant.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Your mitts will get you killed I already meat shielded you in harvest valley... I've done a bit of mucking around caestus are ludicrously weak for their scaling really it's a page back in the thread.

Although I'd debate whether that big ball of dark would've hit me and not the tunnel wall had you not been there, I believe I have returned the favour before, Miss Trooper. That's what co-ops about, innit?

Anyway, that's the whole challenge of using the Caestus. I'm not much of a power-player really, I just like making specific builds (Samurai, Warrior Monk etc.). I'm geeky like that.

Also? You were totally right about the Alonne/Predator mix. The former is brighter.

Consider my hat eaten. :)

Pancho

Qurupancho
I still can't make sense of that patch note though. It seems to me that you regain humanity more frequently, not less.

I thought the patch referred to that you would instantly become human again after assisting with a boss, regardless of how hollowed you were. Like Demon's Souls. You became human when assisting with a boss.

Mistel

Banned
So, the way that scaling works now, is raw + 10 with minimum requirements better than a regular +10 weapon with stat investment? Seems like the case. Instead of pumping the hell out of STR to get 40 more points of damage, it seems to make more sense to make it raw and have those levels for VGR and END. They seem to have offset the bad scaling with generally higher stat requirements for weapons.
According to this for the mastadon greatsword.

At normal your getting 300 with A/E scaling compared to raw which has 345 at D/E. I've honestly can confirm one being better but the raw seems a tad weaker to me still it may be me used to getting A scaling on 50 strength on the normal one already.

ElFly

I thought the patch referred to that you would instantly become human again after assisting with a boss, regardless of how hollowed you were. Like Demon's Souls. You became human when assisting with a boss.

Wish Demon's other method came back too. You'd become human after beating a boss, helping in co-op or not.

ys45

Forgot to ask this , is it me or mage char really kick ass in this game ?
Got some help from one mage for the
Gargoyles
because I was having issue with this fight

I ended up just playing as the decoy while he was blasting and felt like I cheated for this boss : /

The way I do it is write down the sign, wait for a few seconds, then write another.

Of course it helps to do it in hidden parts of the castle.

But yeah. It should be part of the Bell covenant.

Yep, put the sign down and wait about 10 seconds (roughly the amount of time it takes for the HUD to disappear) then put it down again in another spot. Worked well for me and I didn't get summoned for regular PVP.

Though I was absolute trash aiding the boss.

mattp

the patch notes seem to imply that each time you help someone beat a boss in coop you'd "undo 1 death", so at most you'd have to do it 5 times before becoming human

but i was fully hollow(50% hp) and helped someone beat a boss and was fully restored afterwards. so who knows what they actually intended haha. but it basically works like demon's souls, now

diggler41

Going through the 1st Dark Souls now for the 1st time. About 35 hours in and loving the hell out of it. Ordered the Black Armor edition from Amazon last night. How did I miss this series?!

LiK

Yep, put the sign down and wait about 10 seconds (roughly the amount of time it takes for the HUD to disappear) then put it down again in another spot. Worked well for me and I didn't get summoned for regular PVP.

Though I was absolute trash aiding the boss.

Yup, that method works for getting summoned by LG Knight. Altho the loading takes so long and getting ganked before you see the game load in made it unbearable. We should be invulnerable during the summoning phase. It's not like LGK does it that often per fight.

Yes, I'd say that raw makes sense this time around.

ElFly

The way the previews made it sound was that you had to beat the mirror knight first and then use some item of his (the mirror shield?) to get summoned for the fight.

Instead once you get to the castle, you can get summoned to LGK without even beating him. So weird.

Finished it last night. What a game, loved every minute of it! Now I want to go back and finish Dark Souls 1. I wish it had a way to reallocate stats so I wouldn't have to start a new character.

LiK

Finished it last night. What a game, loved every minute of it! Now I want to go back and finish Dark Souls 1. I wish it had a way to reallocate stats so I wouldn't have to start a new character.

DkS1 should be a piece of cake for you now. :p

Mistel

Banned
Although I'd debate whether that big ball of dark would've hit me and not the tunnel wall had you not been there, I believe I have returned the favour before, Miss Trooper. That's what co-ops about, innit?

Also? You were totally right about the Alonne/Predator mix. The former is brighter.

Consider my hat eaten. :)
Well anyone could of told you they don't match I hope you do know how to match actual clothes properly. Steel grey doesn't go with gunmetal blue at all. I could actually tell you what matches if you'd like? #Fashion Souls

So should we do the pursuer? I can show you soldier rest/laugh when you get squished by old ironclads on the way there?

Sullichin

Huh? You got summoned for Old Monk the same way. Except Old Monk also took you if you tried to lay a coop stone or invade normally.

But yeah it's lame. I can't wait for the PC release so I don't have to hear the boss fight going on after the loading screen. It makes me nervous, I just want to kill Benhart!

keit4

Banned
I'm carrying 700K souls right now. Why? Because i don't know how to spend them (i don't want to level up because the 150SL metagame).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well anyone could of told you they don't match I hope you do know how to match actual clothes properly. Steel grey doesn't go with gunmetal blue at all. I could actually tell you what matches if you'd like? #Fashion Souls

God, no. I can barely dress (or indeed feed) myself and have little to no interest in RL fashion.

Oh, and the Predator set is blue, just much darker than the Alonne stuff.

So should we do the pursuer? I can show you soldier rest/laugh when you get squished by old ironclads on the way there?

XD I PM'd ya.

Tenrius

But that was not the case. I didn't become human after beating a boss even once. I had a random case of disconnecting instantly after being summoned and becoming human though.

EDIT: I only just discovered that you can wear four rings at the same time. I thought it was only two, lol, and that's after 30+ hours.

Top Bottom