• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

maomaoIYP

Looking Glass Knight set has very high lightning defense. It seems strange that he wouldn't take any damage though unless he managed to get it extremely high. I think once you start to hit 900-1000 resistance against something you barely take any damage at all from it. Even 700-800 gives a lot of damage resistance.

I guess than his lightning resist was just through the roof. It was so incredible I thought the game must have glitched.

krakov

There's a difference between them? Both involve PvP with no rules or restrictions other than soul memory of course.

There is a big difference if you manage to look beyond game mechanics. When summoning you agree to fight unlike when invaded (in most cases).

In many cases, real life isn't bound by rules. Doesn't mean you have to be an opportunist.

I don't know you, and you don't know me....

I think the voice acting is a mixed bag in this game, but for the most part they did a really great job. Lucatiel is a classic Souls character to me, her voice actress did a great job and the sadness of her story is projected very well with the few lines she has.

Other favourites are "FEEBLES CURSED ONE!" and "Shush!.... you eejit!" - And the first time Creighton swears startled me a little on my first playthrough, I did not expect it.

Besides a couple of mis-cast actors, overall they did a fantastic job.

Tiops

Got my platinum trophy yesterday, feels good :)

But I must say, getting to NG++ Drangleic Castle just to get the remaining Miracles/Pyromancies was really boring. I got the Demon's and Dark Souls 1 platinum trophy and for some reason they didnt' feel as boring as this one.

Arjen

But I must say, getting to NG++ Drangleic Castle just to get the remaining Miracles/Pyromancies was really boring. I got the Demon's and Dark Souls 1 platinum trophy and for some reason they didnt' feel as boring as this one.

Congrats!
I know how you feel, i rushed NG++ like crazy.
Having a lot more fun now doing PvP

mrbagdt

You can roll out of the bow.

I didn't know this until just yesterday, but you can also roll out of taking a drink of estus. can be useful during boss fights.

For some reason yesterday, even though I was clearly online (PS3) and could see the notes on the ground and could see shadows of other players playing, I could not place a summoning sign anywhere in the game. I could still select the stone (it wasn't grayed out) but every time I placed the sign the message popped up saying 'Failed to place summoning sign.' I can't see anything status wise that would be preventing this. Any ideas?

Pulled off my first intentional PvP parry tonight and holy christballs, the visual disconnect was ridiculous; like, 10 times worse than that Pursuer lag-stab gif. It was fun, but man, I don't think I'll be doing it all too often.

Why not?

No it doesn't at all, applying honor rules seems asinine to me.

Sure. I can't say we share the same view, though. I consider trying to get a cheap shot in or putting your opponent on the back foot before the fight has even begun pretty low and antithetical to duelling and the enjoyment therein; unless light griefing is your thing, of course.

iRv3l1R2MIQQV.png

What weapon be this, Gaf?

Cheers!

Leezard

Sure. I can't say we share the same view, though. I consider trying to get a cheap shot in or putting your opponent on the back foot before the fight has even begun pretty low and antithetical to duelling and the enjoyment therein; unless light griefing is your thing, of course.

What weapon be this, Gaf?

Cheers!

It might be the Drakekeeper sword.

Mundane - it scales off all your stats, or just the offensive ones - str, dex, fth, int etc?

In other words, do you keep every stat the same level?

ElFly

They should have used a different word for NPC agro instead of "sin", as paying that NPC has nothing to do with sin. Does nothing to your sin level. Only one who can get lower your sin are those blue sentinels.

The thing is that both are tied to the sin level. If you get to level 10, you become a "wretched" -I think- in the character info window, and the blue sentinels invade. You can achieve level 10 by a combination of invading and killing NPCs, so it makes some sense the same word is used.

It only becomes confusing when Cromwell appears, and yeah, he should concentrate on the being pardoned part, or say that he can only forgive sins that occurred in this world.

Mistel

Banned
bearer of the curse, do you want to be my lover?
I'll break out the whip.
I always go for those low blows with halberd twirls.

Soulhouf

To put it another way - and to express my sentiments practically:

Scenario 1 - you summon me on the Iron Keep bridge and we begin duelling unambiguously on sight.

Scenario 2 - you summon me, I bow, you wait a few measly seconds and then we get our duel on.

Scenario 3 - identical to 2, yet you cast a spell or Avelyn me mid-animation. I most likely evade it with a roll.

To me, 1 and 2 are more or less identical, whereas 3 portrays you as someone who plays unfairly, even if the impact isn't that prevalent most of the time. The responsibility/detriment imposed on you in waiting a tad is far less onerous than it is on me copping a GRS in the face. Why would you want to skew the bout, even minisculely so? What's the point?

This is what doesn't sit well with me.

And I guess that's what it boils down to :). I just don't like it. There are plenty of avenues for that sort of haphazard play; why can't you leave summoned duels alone?! Doesn't it sap the satisfaction?

I don't wish to stretch this discussion longer but I wanted to say that I agree with you.
On PS3 I found a very easy way to deal with this shit.
- You summon me and you play dirty => I block you (it works like a charm)
- If I encounter too many people with this childish behavior, I simply turn off the global server option.

Getting pure bladestone in demons wasn't boring?? That's the only trophy kept me away from platinum
Both Asian and us versions

Booties

Banned
So I just beat the dragon area and got the stone that lets you enter the giant's dream. I went to the one behind the king's door in the forest and took the soul to the merchant in drangleic castle for some items. What else should I do from here? I accidentally came across the king's door in the bottom of drangleic castle and now I have a 2v1 boss fight at the bottom of that hill. Are there other optional areas I can explore with this new item?

So I just beat the dragon area and got the stone that lets you enter the giant's dream. I went to the one behind the king's door in the forest and took the soul to the merchant in drangleic castle for some items. What else should I do from here? I accidentally came across the king's door in the bottom of drangleic castle and now I have a 2v1 boss fight at the bottom of that hill. Are there other optional areas I can explore with this new item?

There are more "sleeping giants" to explore. The Giant Souls you obtain help you if they are in your inventory when fighting an optional boss.

Booties

Banned
There are more "sleeping giants" to explore. The Giant Souls you obtain help you if they are in your inventory when fighting an optional boss.

Finding all of those giants is going to be tough since I'm not using any guides. I will have to go through whole areas over again just to be sure. :( God damn this world map and it's bad layout.

Mistel

Banned
Finding all of those giants is going to be tough since I'm not using any guides. I will have to go through whole areas over again just to be sure. :( God damn this world map and it's bad layout.
They're all in the forest so just look for tree giants.

Celegus

Yuck, I know for sure I wouldn't have found them all if I didn't look where they were. I don't mind using a guide for stuff like that, beats wandering around aimlessly for hours and making no progress.

zma1013

Go back to where you fought the giant spider.

GulAtiCa

Is it possible for someone's lightning defense, via armor, rings, etc, to be so high that lightning spells will just have no effect on them? In that case, that will make a little more sense.

SoldnerKei

Go back to where you fought the giant spider.

what is there? I am at early NG+, I never went back after getting Giant Souls, I remember I came across
one hollow dude and then a headless(I think) guy
the first time I went, but never came back

Celegus

It's darksouls dude, get lost.

That's behind the scorpion fight, right?

No offense, but how is this any different? This was the only thing I used a guide for during my first playthrough, because why in the heck would I even think to check back to places like that? At least it wasn't as bad as the Metroid Prime artifact hunt.

Is it possible for someone's lightning defense, via armor, rings, etc, to be so high that lightning spells will just have no effect on them? In that case, that will make a little more sense.

It may be possible, I've seen Dark Souls 1 PvP where Great Magic Barrier or Havel's shield special makes the user nearly impervious to magic attack, though a very small amount of damage is done.

Finalow

moving to the PC version soon, it looks so damn good. couldn't resist.
probably going for a faith chara, hexes are going to feel like cheating at this point and I've already abused of them on the PS3 version.

Maybe with infusing a shield?

I know if you infuse the magic shield it blocks magic 100%.

Gorillaz

First day back in about 2 weeks and I can't think of another word for how shitty the netcode and connection has been for PvP today.

Is there like a limit on how many times you get invaded in the bell cov areas?

Me and a summoned friend sat in Belfry Luna PvPing invaders that showed up for kicks, but after defeating 6 or so invaders they just stopped appearing. This was during the afternoon on Saturday, a time I figure a lot of people would be playing.

GulAtiCa

Maybe with infusing a shield?

I know if you infuse the magic shield it blocks magic 100%.
Nah, guy wasn't even using a shield. I WotG him twice as he came up a ladder. Did nothing! lol. No lag either it seems, as no lag stabs noticed at all. And this is with my Faith stat at 99 too.

Is co op officially dead?
SM of 52 million on PS3 in NG++ and have no problem invading or doing co-op with others.

--

Edit: That feeling when you get when you take out a host + 2 summons + another repeat summon. hehehe

Mistel

Banned
Is there like a limit on how many times you get invaded in the bell cov areas?

Me and a summoned friend sat in Belfry Luna PvPing invaders that showed up for kicks, but after defeating 6 or so invaders they just stopped appearing. This was during the afternoon on Saturday, a time I figure a lot of people would be playing.
No limit's so you might be out of range of those in the area maybe?

Just got invaded by 2 phantoms at bell tower. 1v2 and I won.
One invader was pure magic caster with hex and pyro. She was so easy and squishy. Just like how I was few days ago when I was on that full Mage build. Spells are awful for pvp in this game. Just go pure physical dual wield.

GulAtiCa

One invader was pure magic caster with hex and pyro. She was so easy and squishy. Just like how I was few days ago when I was on that full Mage build. Spells are awful for pvp in this game. Just go pure physical dual wield.

nah, spells are god like in this game for PvP. Granted I keep my sword out and use it up close, the deal is people need to learn to use spells when the time presents itself. Just like melee weapons, people need to not spam it.

By that same thought, I could easily say melee is useless in PvP due to dodging swords, esp big swords and clubs is so easy. :p

Ever since I switched from Mage to swordsman, my win ratio has gone up significantly. When I was a Mage, winning in pvp was near nonexistent

And thats why she failed.

Top Bottom