• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jaeger

I started a new game in Dark Souls real quick. After I beat this again ill come back to DS2.

Really feels weird going from 2 to 1. The movement does not feel as good as DS2 that's for sure. However; graphically (not necessarily artistically) DS1 is way better. Way better texture work. Stones look awesome (especially when wet) landscapes are clearer. Even the world feels better connected, with shortcuts back and fourth.

I think I had more fun with DS2, though. Especially PVP.

Soulhouf

If you wish to do some co-op after beating a boss and you don't want to be interrupted by invasions, here is an easy way to do it.
Lay down your SS and enter the boss room. The SS remains when you do so but invasions are not allowed.

GulAtiCa

I started a new game in Dark Souls real quick. After I beat this again ill come back to DS2.

Yeah, I found dodging to be weird when locked on in DS1. Found myself dodging in wrong direction in DS1 a lot. While in DS2 I dodge literally in the direction I want.

If you wish to do some co-op after beating a boss and you don't want to be interrupted by invasions, here is an easy way to do it.
Lay down your SS and enter the boss room. The SS remains when you do so but invasions are not allowed.
I do this too, very useful. I like how in DS2 you can go really far from your summon sign and it still stay, I guess due to all that stuff being server-side. It's a neat change from DS1 where you were locked in that particular section of an area.

This brings to mind in DS1, how in Dark Anor Londo when you were about to be invaded, if you walked into the boss room, as soon as the invader came in, you got the message they'd been returned home (as if you had just entered the boss fight). Kind of a troll thing to do, ha!

Phew, finally got the plat (I also have the plat for DeS but not for DaS because I played it on 360, so 1000 will have to do). I went into NG++ thinking the Shrine of Winter gate would open thanks to my SL. Ended up doing all 4 primordial bonfires in 3-4 hours.

That was definitely another memorable ride by From.
The funny thing is that I mostly cooped on NG and soloed on NG+ and NG++. I really enjoyed the online component of the game, even more than that of the previous games.
My biggest gripe is probably with the story/lore as it falls short of the brilliance of Dark Souls but to be fair, the first game is in a class of its own. It distilled an incredible sense of mythological time and place, while this one feels like a somewhat disjointed twilight (I felt DeS did too, to be fair).

Still an amazing game. If every game I played was that good, I wouldn't complain.

1/2 way through undead crypt. How far in am I GAF?
I'd say 85-90% of the way.

Phew, finally got the plat (I also have the plat for DeS but not for DaS because I played it on 360, so 1000 will have to do). I went into NG++ thinking the Shrine of Winter gate would open thanks to my SL. Ended up doing all 4 primordial bonfires in 3-4 hours.

My understanding is that the Shrine of Winter only opens based on the SM you have accumulated during that current NG(+) play-through only, not your cumulative SM. So you have to get 2 million souls during NG+, or 3 million during NG++ regardless of your total SM.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised more people aren't bothered by this mechanic of opening the Shrine with the 4 Old Souls or one million souls. Frankly this is one of my biggest complaints with the game, which I otherwise mostly love. It undermines the lore/importance of the Old Ones by equating the power of their souls to an exact numerical value. The Lord Vessel in DaS1 could only be fed with the Lord Souls because their power was immeasurable. It feels so cheap now that the Old Ones can be replaced by farming even regular enemies. I've always loved that Souls games tied their storytelling to gameplay (e.g. Channeler in Undead Parish isn't random but an important part of lore and Rhea of Thorolund's NPC quest line), but this felt like a huge misstep. /rant

I'd say 85-90% of the way.

It depends on how many side quests/optional bosses you want to tackle, but you are definitely in the home stretch. I would recommend saving the optional items until after you see the credits roll, since you aren't forced into NG+ until you decide to go. It will keep the pacing up during this stretch, which is my favorite part of the game.

Minamu

You're not going to get invaded much really you can get all the items you get from ranking up you can find in the world itself. Blue tearstone ring is in the Luna and hush is in the bastille and the bloodbite ring is in brought in brightstone.
Yeah I don't care abou the items, it's just an OCD thing of getting the covenants to max rank xD But I bailed to BellBros again for the time being.

GulAtiCa

HAHAHAHA. That was my best invasion ever. Was at Dragon Aerie, and did the usual destroy all eggs I can find thing. However, I destroyed like 8 of them by time host actually crossed bridge. So I didn't get enough yet. I didn't know the host crossed yet, so I keep searching for the host while destroying more eggs. I literally spent 3 minutes checking everything to see where the heck the host was. Finally after destroying a LOT of eggs, I went back to bridge, to see if the host was there. Sure enough, the host was on the other side. With a newly summoned Blue Sentinel to assist him. Knowing that the bridge is now damned for whoever crosses, I just endless taunt them with e-motes. Eventually the Blue Sentinel guy crosses, and I kill him with a few Force spells quite easily. Just as I am killing the blue sentinel, the host is now in the middle of the bridge when all of the sudden, dragons everywhere attack him! And down, down, down he goes!

Oh, I'd love to see his face. hehehe

Edit: HAHAHA, Got another one, but this one is awesome for the fact that I killed all the eggs, he killed me with 2 summons, but I invaded the guy just in time as he fell to his death with what looks like 1 of the summons. So literally I got to witness the fruit of my labors. hehehe

maomaoIYP

HAHAHAHA. That was my best invasion ever. Was at Dragon Aerie, and did the usual destroy all eggs I can find thing. However, I destroyed like 8 of them by time host actually crossed bridge. So I didn't get enough yet. I didn't know the host crossed yet, so I keep searching for the host while destroying more eggs. I literally spent 3 minutes checking everything to see where the heck the host was. Finally after destroying a LOT of eggs, I went back to bridge, to see if the host was there. Sure enough, the host was on the other side. With a newly summoned Blue Sentinel to assist him. Knowing that the bridge is now damned for whoever crosses, I just endless taunt them with e-motes. Eventually the Blue Sentinel guy crosses, and I kill him with a few Force spells quite easily. Just as I am killing the blue sentinel, the host is now in the middle of the bridge when all of the sudden, dragons everywhere attack him! And down, down, down he goes!

Oh, I'd love to see his face. hehehe

Edit: HAHAHA, Got another one, but this one is awesome for the fact that I killed all the eggs, he killed me with 2 summons, but I invaded the guy just in time as he fell to his death with what looks like 1 of the summons. So literally I got to witness the fruit of my labors. hehehe
That is amazing! How many eggs do you need to destroy for this to happen? I've tried it a few times but never managed to get it to work.

I think Dark Souls 2's biggest issue is level design. Some levels are just too damn small. It sucks when you really, really love an area and it's super short and small.

GulAtiCa

That is amazing! How many eggs do you need to destroy for this to happen? I've tried it a few times but never managed to get it to work.

Not sure, probably a lot. By time he crossed back over, I destroyed nearly all of them. But boy was it fun to see him fall. hehe

2AdEPT

Hey everyone....I was invited to do post commentary on one of my favourite female-run channels: Heart Cooks Brain. she has a real sexy voice so it was all I could do to come up with semi-intelligent things to say...she just posted the latest vid with yours truly as a guest a few hours ago.

So the sinner sword is stronger if you dont have sins? then in fact the sinner was not a sinner just for keeping the flame....but....ah so many contradictions.

Mistel

Banned
Yep the lost sinner sword gets less powerful the more sin you have. Which makes like no sense. Unless she's atoning for her sins some how.

My no bonfire/no death NG+ run is finally over!..... At the Dragonrider in Heide's.

I've spent the entire week farming everything I could possibly farm in NG to prepare. I went to NG+ straight to Dragonrider, missed his drop off/easy win and he knocked me off when I went to try it again. I will never try this run again. I am broken and ashamed!

triple-facepalmu9k9i.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
My no bonfire/no death NG+ run is finally over!..... At the Dragonrider in Heide's.

I've spent the entire week farming everything I could possibly farm in NG to prepare. I went to NG+ straight to Dragonrider, missed his drop off/easy win and he knocked me off when I went to try it again. I will never try this run again. I am broken and ashamed!

triple-facepalmu9k9i.jpg

Drop off? You didn't raise the platforms?

I think 5 facepalms is more accurate.

2AdEPT

triple-facepalmu9k9i.jpg

lol ...that area broke me as well.......but I was still in NG!!!!!! I laughed at those that said that its bonfire ad that that was the easier of the two parameters to meet.....I made it a little further, but promptly sat down when I wasnt thinking about it instead of quitting to the menu when I was tired.....all dat time wasted.....

I realize this will trivialize the challenge, but if I want the achievement without the hassle I will be using game save manager on PC version. It updated to included DS2 JUST after I died and sat.

Drop off? You didn't raise the platforms?

I think 5 facepalms is more accurate.
If you don't raise the platforms, you can make the Dragonrider fall off as he walks towards you as you enter the fog gate. I've done it about half a dozen times no worries, I did it again straight after perfectly. I guess I'll just go for the no bonfire now! :3

laughed at those that said that its bonfire ad that that was the easier of the two parameters to meet.....I made it a little further, but promptly sat down when I wasnt thinking about it instead of quitting to the menu when I was tired.....all dat time wasted.....

I realize this will trivialize the challenge, but if I want the achievement without the hassle I will be using game save manager on PC version. It updated to included DS2 JUST after I died and sat.
Yes! I've just made it past the Ruin Sentinels and every bonfire along the way I had to force myself to remember not to light it, I almost did it at the NMW bonfire just out of habit.

GulAtiCa

If you don't raise the platforms, you can make the Dragonrider fall off as he walks towards you as you enter the fog gate. I've done it about half a dozen times no worries, I did it again straight after perfectly. I guess I'll just go for the no bonfire now! :3

You should have just beat him the normal way, such an easy boss. :p

You should have just beat him the normal way, such an easy boss. :p
Typical me, got to try to be tricksy, vanilla methods aren't good enough!

I'm kind of worn out now - not the best way to play when tired, you get sloppy. I continued on for a no bonfire run, died by randomly rolling off a ledge in the Saltfort, got sent all the way back to Majula. So I thought it would be quicker to kill the Persuer than go back through No Man's Wharf, and I died again dropping down to get the chest right before FOFG. just under 1m souls gone, which is half what I needed to open the Shrine of Winter. I guess that doesn't matter, now that I can die I can just co-op to get souls without worrying about dying as a phantom too. The thing is I kind of looked down, saw I wouldn't make the drop but did it any way!

Wolff

Man, it is really satisfying when you find a good weapon that you actually like the moveset and feels good to use. Been playing with my new DGS and it just works for me. I got invaded and went for some bellbro action after upgrading it like i wanted and it went really well. Didn't even get too nervous as i usually do. haha

GulAtiCa

I started playing my main character again, a Miracle character, and been invading people like crazy. I now have a SM of 51m. :lol

I just reached Cromwell in NG+. He says I have no sin, which means sin does not carry over from NG. I was told it did, perhaps it was patched.

I just reached Cromwell in NG+. He says I have no sin, which means sin does not carry over from NG. I was told it did, perhaps it was patched.

Maybe he's just referring to the "sin" you get from aggroing/attacking NPCs.

I was under the impression that he only absolved sin insofar as resetting NPC aggro, not the cumulative sin that you gain from killing NPCs, which subjects you to Sentinel invasions. They're two entirely different things, no?

Either way, my sin carried over into NG+. Heide was a pain.

The amount of people in that thread who post as if you can't roll out of gestures is pretty crazy.

Well, I'm definitely in the, 'if you summon me in a duelling area and I wave/bow/whatever and you attack me or heal, you're a massive douche' camp. You don't have to let me buff, but attacking mid-gesture is lame.

I don't see how anyone can argue that such behaviour isn't underhanded, even if it is easily avoided with a roll.

I also take issue with people conveniently ignoring the blatant difference between invasions and summoned duels.

EDIT: I digress, though. Apologies. Let's not turn this thread into that one.

There's a difference between them? Both involve PvP with no rules or restrictions other than soul memory of course.

Really? I would say that they both involve heavy implications, with the enjoyement of duels depending on all parties possessing half a shred of decency and base-level courtesies in order to not only ensure a fair fight, but to challenge yourself and have the most fun.

Mistel

Banned
The enjoyment of duels depending on all parties possessing half a shred of decency and base-level courtesies in order to not only ensure a fair fight, but to challenge yourself and have the most fun.
To you maybe that is the case. But if I can excrete some free hits from playing dirty who am I to say no?
Yes- but a month ago it was unheard of. Same with magic spammers as I bow.
You can roll out of the bow.

To put it another way - and to express my sentiments practically:

Scenario 1 - you summon me on the Iron Keep bridge and we begin duelling unambiguously on sight.

Scenario 2 - you summon me, I bow, you wait a few measly seconds and then we get our duel on.

Scenario 3 - identical to 2, yet you cast a spell or Avelyn me mid-animation. I most likely evade it with a roll.

To me, 1 and 2 are more or less identical, whereas 3 portrays you as someone who plays unfairly, even if the impact isn't that prevalent most of the time. The responsibility/detriment imposed on you in waiting a tad is far less onerous than it is on me copping a GRS in the face. Why would you want to skew the bout, even minisculely so? What's the point?

This is what doesn't sit well with me.

To you maybe that is the case. But if I can excrete some free hits from playing dirty who am I to say no?

And I guess that's what it boils down to :). I just don't like it. There are plenty of avenues for that sort of haphazard play; why can't you leave summoned duels alone?! Doesn't it sap the satisfaction?

GulAtiCa

They should have used a different word for NPC agro instead of "sin", as paying that NPC has nothing to do with sin. Does nothing to your sin level. Only one who can get lower your sin are those blue sentinels.

Btw, there is one blue sentinel who I faced 3 or 4 times over last few days who I seem unable to do ANY magic damage to... Like even when he is climbing up on a ladder, I couldn't get him with WotG. Didn't even hurt him, heck, didn't even touch him. Every other invader feels my wrath pretty quickly, but this one guy just doesn't seem affected. Plenty of people have dodged hit, been too far away, done little damage, but never once did someone be next to me and not even get effected. I would say lag, but I don't get lagstabbed in any way by him and can hit him with my sword just fine. Could his Lightning defense be SOOOO high due to items, that WotG and other lightning spells just don't even phase him? They don't even stagger or slow him down... I've killed him once or twice via my sword though.

Something fishy is going on with that one guy....

maomaoIYP

Something fishy is going on with that one guy....

I dualed a dude wearing full looking glass set.
I'm SL150, 2.5mil SM, lightning greatsword +10 buffed with sunlight blade etc etc.
I riposted him for a staggering.................300 damage.
I have never see that happen before.

And then I found him again. Same thing happened.

Leezard

Looking Glass Knight set has very high lightning defense. It seems strange that he wouldn't take any damage though unless he managed to get it extremely high. I think once you start to hit 900-1000 resistance against something you barely take any damage at all from it. Even 700-800 gives a lot of damage resistance.

Top Bottom